• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Dashboard Swap

derickreaper

Question

Hi,

I have a 92 honda civic eg8 single carb.. And my dashboard is slightly cracked and damaged, i wanted to change it the i thought of changing it with a newer honda civic model dash maby.. Is it possible? Does anyone have tried it? Is it practical? Where can i buy a good dash,? Need advice..

25 answers to this question

1. No. Only EG will fit EG. Ek's are not the same dimensions. Unless you cut and chop like that Godzilla guy. But that looks disgusting.

2. No idea on that

3. What do you mean by "practical"? Easy to swap? Easy to use?

4. Delkanda/us auto parts Dehiwela/wadduwa, car smile auto attidiya etc.

If you want to pimp up your dash, speak to member H. C. He had some glow needles and gauges on his. Looked patta

The thing is I've seen eg8's with the center console which continues till the handbrake and my current dashboard is slightly cracked dis colored and i wanted to change the interior color to black as it is currently grey.. But will check that places for a good condition dashboard..

Edited by derickreaper

The thing is I've seen eg8's with the center console which continues till the handbrake and my current dashboard is slightly cracked dis colored and i wanted to change the interior color to black as it is currently grey.. But will check that places for a good condition dashboard..

Some JDM eg8s and EG6 having those center console dashboards and you can swap that particular part removing your existing dashboards lower part(ash tray and power outlet socket area). Only issue is they are not available locally and @ebay they costs>250$. Ive too put a new dash about 2years back and cost around 16k those days. Ive seen people have swaped teg and s2000 dashboards (@civic-eg.com) and personaly i love the way eg dash look. Because of poor visibility of gauges at night ,Ive done few modifications by myself including light adjustable glow gauge face with lexan glow needles and led kit to light up them. If you need more info ,let me know.

Deen's on havelock road will do reupholstery. In rexin or leather wrap it looks very nice. As for my dash, check my thread "project r". Somewhere in there I changed my dash colour from tan to black. Any experienced paint shop can do it for you

What early post and few members had mentioned perfectly correct.

Any good Upholster will do the need full to your satisfaction.

This DIY project came on Popular Mechanic mag few years back.

They requested to make template with thick wet cotton white trouser material cloth which will take the shape of the dash board lay same on the D board.

Apply gum on one 1 inch thick cotton wool bandage wet same with gum and palace another bandage cotton cloth on top.

Like early three thin cloth layers soaked with gum. You can keep same on a dry day for few dours in SL.

then allow to dry over night. can remove same cotton cloth template will be to the shape of the dash board when it is fully dry.

Get a vinyl cloth and cover same paste to that which is very easy can do in few hours. Some times you will have to heat the vinyl cloth to get the shape.

I have never tried this but can do this if you do it patiently carefully. By your self.
Sylvi Wijesinghe.
Edited by Sylvi

What early post and few members had mentioned perfectly correct.

Any good Upholster will do the need full to your satisfaction.

This DIY project came on Popular Mechanic mag few years back.

They requested to make template with thick wet cotton white trouser material cloth which will take the shape of the dash board lay same on the D board.

Apply gum on one 1 inch thick cotton wool bandage wet same with gum and palace another bandage cotton cloth on top.

Like early three thin cloth layers soaked with gum. You can keep same on a dry day for few dours in SL.

then allow to dry over night. can remove same cotton cloth template will be to the shape of the dash board when it is fully dry.

Get a vinyl cloth and cover same paste to that which is very easy can do in few hours. Some times you will have to heat the vinyl cloth to get the shape.

I have never tried this but can do this if you do it patiently carefully. By your self.
Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Mr. Sylvi,

The process is not quite clear. Are you suggesting something like a Fiberglass mould?

Some JDM eg8s and EG6 having those center console dashboards and you can swap that particular part removing your existing dashboards lower part(ash tray and power outlet socket area). Only issue is they are not available locally and @ebay they costs>250$. Ive too put a new dash about 2years back and cost around 16k those days. Ive seen people have swaped teg and s2000 dashboards (@civic-eg.com) and personaly i love the way eg dash look. Because of poor visibility of gauges at night ,Ive done few modifications by myself including light adjustable glow gauge face with lexan glow needles and led kit to light up them. If you need more info ,let me know.

yes please.. if you could putup some pics of your modded dash, and where to buy those components.. it would be great

Mr. Sylvi,

The process is not quite clear. Are you suggesting something like a Fiberglass mould?

Mr. Hoonigan,

A Fiber glass work shop also can do this, it is a cloth mold which is more flexible than fiber glass can DIY.

I did not do any Dash boards but, I have done to other things like seats and hand rests of vehicles, you get like a mold when it is dry.

Then you can cover same with vinyl cloth. Try on a broken any glass vase or an ornament with wet paper number of layers.

First of all have to use something which will not get pasted to the object like candle wax, just apply only.

Dash board you need not do that, because that will come out easily due polish surface.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

oh OK. that makes things a bit more clear. Basically you're suggesting to use cotton cloth instead of the fiberglass matte. And top it off with vinyl. And using the actual Dashboard as a plug. But I guess the glue will have to be weather resistant at least a little bit. A resin maybe?

But I don't think the regular DIYer will get a good result in one go. If you get uneven spread of resin or a small wrinkle on the cloth, that will end up showing up in the end product. Might be a job for a pro.

Hoonigan.

Fiberglass mat if you use then you have to use three to five layers. Can spray paint same.

Can you do the same? or want to get help from some other party.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Mine I think can be saved by reupholstering. If not, will look at getting fiber work done professionally. The OP however is looking for a replacement option.

Some bits of the dashboard you can buy brand new. I intend to buy the center console and some of the side vents as they have perished thanks to UV over time. I've put used replacements but one of these days would like to replace with new.

Please do lemme kno where u buy the components... I bought the car very recent so still clueless where to buy good parts