• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Need Advice On A Buying A Car

lakshan20

Question

Hi,

I'm new to the Autolanka forum. I need some advises from the experts here. I'm expecting to buy a brand new car around 2.5 million. What would be the best brand new car in that range? Currently I'm focusing on Viva Elite bt I have seen lot of threads here mentioning that it's not worth that much. I need an AT car with good fuel economy and low maintenance costs. Please advice.

Thanks

17 answers to this question

Viva elite, maruti a-star and micro voleex are your options. In sinhala, its like selecting between kahi gaani, hotu gaani and hori gaani

If those are ur only choices I vote maruti. Used a wagonR and it never gave me any trouble. :)

• Like 1

The A-Star is sold as the new Alto almost everywhere else but the Indians have kept the old Alto in production due to its popularity. That and the Viva are best cars in that list though I'm saddened this is all 2.5 million buys these days. Only about a year and a half ago the Viva manual could be had for 1.4 million.

The A-Star is sold as the new Alto almost everywhere else but the Indians have kept the old Alto in production due to its popularity. That and the Viva are best cars in that list though I'm saddened this is all 2.5 million buys these days. Only about a year and a half ago the Viva manual could be had for 1.4 million.

The A-Star actually comes with a Maruti K10B engine while the export versions of Alto actually have an 800CC Suzuki engine. The Maruti engine is mated with a Suzuki Auto tranny, making it a bit of a frankenstein, since that engine is primarily designed for the Indian market which prefers stick shift.

I would actually stick with the Viva Elite on this one

If OP must stick to brand new, and if a little bit of stretching is possible, there's actually Kia Picanto which retails around 3 million mark. It's got solid technology, good looks and better build quality.

Edited by Crosswind

Hi,

I'm new to the Autolanka forum. I need some advises from the experts here. I'm expecting to buy a brand new car around 2.5 million. What would be the best brand new car in that range? Currently I'm focusing on Viva Elite bt I have seen lot of threads here mentioning that it's not worth that much. I need an AT car with good fuel economy and low maintenance costs. Please advice.

Thanks

When I buy my brand new Viva Elite Standard Auto in 2011, it cost me Rs.1.6 million and pretty value for money. Now it is around Rs.2.4 million :o . Actual CIF Colombo price for this car is USD 6000 - 7000. All other amount mostly import tax. Other two brands are also in same category. If you can little expand your budget you can try well maintained low mileage used Vitz, I guess. :)

Viva elite, maruti a-star and micro voleex are your options. In sinhala, its like selecting between kahi gaani, hotu gaani and hori gaani

Ha Ha Ha , machan, What a lucky guy am I having two kahi geni at the same time. :sport-smiley-004:

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera
  • Like 1

Hi,

Thanks

Lakshan care to run us though the though process behind going for a brand new car?

If it is due to you been entitled for a car permit, then why not

1) import a one year old car?

2) Sell the permit and buy a used car from the local market (say not older than 3 years from year of manufacture, and the new budget is 2.5 + price of a permit)?

Floor is open to everyone to discuss on the two 'other' options. Sticking to the 2.5 mil budget what are the OPs options under above two categories?

As The Don has mentioned it is astonishing how little a 2.5 mil budget stretches these days. Just want to get an idea what other alternatives are present for a buyer in the current market.

Edited by xXx

Thanks for the all fellows who have replied me. I don't have a permit guys. This is gonna be my first vehicle. I would also like to go for a used car with low mileage which is manufactured after 2007. So then what would be my best options these days? I guess Vitz, passo and Honda Fit ARIA is in that range. Yeah I can maximum go for 2.7 mil.

If your budget is 2.5 mil, the best option I can recommend is a 2007-2008 Lancer CS series. If interested, this model was discussed recently on a tread in AL.

Out of the choices given Fit aria is a good choice provided that you can get a 2007-08 model for that price. with the lancer you may be able to have a newer car with some spare cash in your hand.

For me, spending 2.5 mil on a Elite or a Maruti is a waste of money

Edited by Harry (aq)

ha ha Crosswind, right on the money!

I agree, spending 2.5Mil on any of these options is money thrown away in my opinion. Even a Civic for 1.5-1.7 and spending another 1-2 to brush it up (if required) is a better deal than that.

back in the day the viva elite was a smart buy - decent car for an affordable price but now it seems a tad bit insane to pay that amount for a car in that category. Sure it's a decent car but still 2.5 mill for that just doesn't make sense.

"Tailing a vehicle at 100kph to overtake before oncoming traffic hits you can put you in a ‘yes-no-yes-no’ situation. As you squash your right foot firmly down all the way, the transmission department runs its twisted arithmetic to assess the situation. At the last minute, the gear shifts down, the engine revs hard and pulls you out of the scene."

quote from top gear india's review on the A-Star automatic transmission version.

http://www.topgear.com/india/our-car-reviews/a-star?id=111

lakshan20,

Did you buy a car.

If not I advice you to go in for a Indian Maruti. I bought one three years ago going to change same with them go for a new one in April.

Go to A*W show room and see to your self. Their service is very good for me. Spares are very cheap.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

lakshan20,

Did you buy a car.

If not I advice you to go in for a Indian Maruti. I bought one three years ago going to change same with them go for a new one in April.

Go to A*W show room and see to your self. Their service is very good for me. Spares are very cheap.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

This sylvi is the kind of stupid stuff you say that gets you the "track record" I was talking about the other day.

edit:

The moderators are trying to put down the voice of the little man and is supporting the person who i beleive allegedly claims to have 50 years of experience. Hence all my posts have been banished to the post-whore thread.

This is evil i tell you evil! I believe Mods shouldnt play favorites and support sylvi so much!

Edited by Watchman

lakshan20,

Did you buy a car.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Sylvi dude, are you crazy to recommend a cheap Indian crap like a maruti? The guy has 2.5m, he can buy a much MUCH better car with that.

• Like 1