• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Implementation Of Up To Date Price Database For Autos

codexdj

Hey Yo'll,

I did some search before posting this and had no results. Although I remember a senior member suggesting to do this.

Has the autolanka admins looked in to this matter as the official facilitator of the forum to implement this? OR

we the members can get to it!

Ideas please :):music-smiley-012::popkorn:

That is why it's called a database. There are many factors to be considered but it's still worth while & possible to develop one with all of those included! It's a million doller idea mate :D

So, lets see what the experts have to say about this :medium-smiley-037:

• Like 1

That is why it's called a database. There are many factors to be considered but it's still worth while & possible to develop one with all of those included! It's a million doller idea mate :D

So, lets see what the experts have to say about this :medium-smiley-037:

It's a million dollar stupid idea.

who exactly determines the price of a used vehicle? some god out there? the government?

have u heard of economics? supply and demand?

commodities like milk powder and electricity can have a control price (although they shouldn't).. but vehicles are not a commodity

so at the end of the day, price of a vehicle will be what the buyer and the seller agrees on. period. having data bases and artificially trying to control prices (like what the motor mag does) makes no sense and nobody even bothers to look at them...

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 1

There was never an intention of being polite in my post :P

You don't need an IT degree or anything to know how impractical such a thing is. No human being of a mature/sensible state of mind would even think of something like this. If you can give me a single example of something that is being traded at a fixed price in the 2nd hand market, i'll admit that my comment was out of line. OK?

And this "I did a search but there was no result" BS is getting just has absurd. This WAS brought up before, and shot down due to people having common sense.

For brand new vehicles this is possible. But for used vehicles we can't determine an exact price due to the variation of price upon the condition, YOM, millage and the registration number of the vehicle.

This is one of the things that actually is considered but personally I don't think should be a factor if the vehicle is in topping condition. And I would like to add the bargaining abilities of the two parties involved to your list :)

And even a DB of brand new cars will be rendered obsolete in no time due to the frequency at which government policy changes in SL.

@OP, Pardon me for the singlish but, Katharagama gihin pol gahanawa is a better way to determine the price of a vehicle than using a database.

Edited by Hoonigan

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="MasterDon" data-cid="256997" data-time="1392525576"><p>

<br />

WTF?!...Rude??...Aiyyo grow a pair will you!..This ain't no bloody interior decorating forums.Refer Peri's signature for further clarification....</p></blockquote>

Thanks for the advice. I bought a Rs. 350 fertilizer bag and a Haakros Pataass bottle today. So anything else I should know b4 growing a pair ?

• Like 2

@Supra Natural

Hey I didnt mean to offence anybody.. No harm done , right? I didnt think I was hurting watchman or you. It wont happen again, that is a promise. :D

Edited by Bracket

Hostility… well I have an idea as well. I hope that I wont get bulldozed.. I have seen those data bases the Jap auction houses have online where you can check the prices of sold vehicles, with most of the details, like YOM, color, main specs of the vehicle and the date it was sold.

Like wise, will the AL Admins be able to add some kind of a system to the site that the people advertise on the site can give feed back to their add. Like if I was able to sell a car for Rs 2500000 though AL I will have an option to remove he add from the site and at the same time give a feedback to the site of how much it was sold. With that data we can have an automatically updating database where people can find about prices of vehicles already sold and by that can get a reasonable idea of how much the same would cost in present day.

Hostility… well I have an idea as well. I hope that I wont get bulldozed.. I have seen those data bases the Jap auction houses have online where you can check the prices of sold vehicles, with most of the details, like YOM, color, main specs of the vehicle and the date it was sold.

Like wise, will the AL Admins be able to add some kind of a system to the site that the people advertise on the site can give feed back to their add. Like if I was able to sell a car for Rs 2500000 though AL I will have an option to remove he add from the site and at the same time give a feedback to the site of how much it was sold. With that data we can have an automatically updating database where people can find about prices of vehicles already sold and by that can get a reasonable idea of how much the same would cost in present day.

Japanese auctions are a complete online system so you can get the true sale prices of vehicles. Now tell me how do you check the authenticity of what people claim? There are plenty of buy and sell guys advertising in Autolanka classifieds and naturally they will be quoting really high prices to jackup the car market for their benefit. And your neighbourhood Silva uncle will be embarrased to say that his AE110 was sold for only 1.4 Million, so he will say it got sold for 1.6 Million instead! With such a system, the buy and sell guys will laugh all the way to the bank.

You guys really need to come down from your java, .net worlds to the real world.

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 3

Japanese auctions are a complete online system so you can get the true sale prices of vehicles. Now tell me how do you check the authenticity of what people claim? There are plenty of buy and sell guys advertising in Autolanka classifieds and naturally they will be quoting really high prices to jackup the car market for their benefit. And your neighbourhood Silva uncle will be embarrased to say that his AE110 was sold for only 1.4 Million, so he will say it got sold for 1.6 Million instead! With such a system, the buy and sell guys will laugh all the way to the bank.

You guys really need to come down from your java, .net worlds to the real world.

i didnt say that this is a very sound and foolproof idea. i was just suggessing that if there is a thing like this that can be implemented an average joe can take a peak and get an idea of what the market will look like given the fact that most of em will be jackin gup the price like you mentioned. but there will be a small amount of honest people in the system, whom will quote the right price and with good comparison a buyer can get to a conclusion of how much a vehicle would be.

this is just an idea if an online automated system is implicated someday. otherwise yeah there are plenty of options of how to get a reasonable market price of a vehicle.

BTW arent most of us doing the same thing that i said in the first para, we ask our friends, we look online, we ask the average garage baas, and check prices at the sales as well and come to a conclusion that yeah this will be a reasonable price for a certain type of a vehicle...

@Supra Natural

Hey I didnt mean to offence anybody.. No harm done , right? I didnt think I was hurting watchman or you. It wont happen again, that is a promise. :D

dude nice quote on the signature machang. well said..

• Like 2

i didnt say that this is a very sound and foolproof idea. i was just suggessing that if there is a thing like this that can be implemented an average joe can take a peak and get an idea of what the market will look like given the fact that most of em will be jackin gup the price like you mentioned. but there will be a small amount of honest people in the system, whom will quote the right price and with good comparison a buyer can get to a conclusion of how much a vehicle would be.

this is just an idea if an online automated system is implicated someday. otherwise yeah there are plenty of options of how to get a reasonable market price of a vehicle.

BTW arent most of us doing the same thing that i said in the first para, we ask our friends, we look online, we ask the average garage baas, and check prices at the sales as well and come to a conclusion that yeah this will be a reasonable price for a certain type of a vehicle...

#1 Yeah you didn't say that it was very sound or fool-proof. What you should have realized and said was that it was a reeeaaallllyy stupid idea! On top of what crosswind said I can think of a dozen other reasons your idea won't work.

#2 if you have so many methods of finding out the market price why do you need AL to be so precise and detailed?

Yes. That's called research and whatever we do, the buyer needs to do proper research and exercise due diligence

A so-called public database doesn't replace one's need to do research.

Ironically the best place to get information if you are interested in such a database will be the insurance industry. Their loss adjusters will be maintaining some sort of database which reflect current book values of vehicles. This obviously wont always reflect market value as it is subject to market conditions.

Ironically the best place to get information if you are interested in such a database will be the insurance industry. Their loss adjusters will be maintaining some sort of database which reflect current book values of vehicles. This obviously wont always reflect market value as it is subject to market conditions.

I doubt that they will release such details for anyone to use Don. And you are correct on the market conditions effecting all these data available. im just saying that having something like this out there would be somewhat helpful to guess a price of a vehicle for someone who is not going to do an indepth market research.

Edited by charithtg

I doubt that they will release such details for anyone to use Don. And you are correct on the market conditions effecting all these data available. im just saying that having something like this out there would be somewhat helpful to guess a price of a vehicle for someone who is not going to do an indepth market research.

Well, then someone who doesn't care enough to do his due diligence before spending that much money, deserves whats coming to them :D

Geez, you cant expect everyone else to bend over backwards to save your money if you cant be bothered to make an effort yourself. pfftt...

• Like 1

The Don makes and excellent point. A good perspective can come from a loss adjuster or surveyor. Considering the number of insurance companies, I don't think it's that difficult to track down a friend of a friend to talk to.

Again, historical data even from an insurance company won't stay valid for a long time. Sri Lanka's car prices have always been too inconsistent to make use of data more than 9-12 months old. This date range would make the sample too small if historic data is deleted from the data base or skew the results if they are carried on.

As inconvenient as it may be, best thing is to go see a few cars in person and maybe drag a trustworthy mechanic along. And haggle your way down on the one you actually fall in love with.