• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Finally Got Money Now What !. Starlet, Kelisa, 110 Any Other? I'm Confused

hiru555

Question

Update : Bought a starlet. Details see the thread.

Hi fellows. My question is a big and like a question paper :) but hope it will help you to give me a good answer.

My requirements are

• Manual gear car with good fuel economy.
  • budget around 1.1-1.4 and max 1.65
  • A good resale value. not sure how long Im going to keep it. Maybe from 3 to 5+ years
  • I prefer diesels because we own a townace lotto van (57-xxxx) in our family for about 10years now. Did a full engine overhaul about 8 years back@ edirisinhas and still no any problem.
  • I don't want a fast car and ok with the town-ace like performance and feel.
  • Don't care about boot space but leg space will be needed.
  • Prefer hatchbacks but sedans are too ok.
  • My monthly traveling will be bellow 500km but if its good for pocket will do more.

I've read over 2,3 times the threads that talks about above models in topics. But i need more to decide.

Edited by hiru555

beacuse y................

And i am the person who totelled that perticular caldina,

dont worry even if it comes in any colour or shape.it must have the Asian Alliance insurance as a prevoius owner.

caldina is a good car if you dont mind the wagon body shape.

try to find CZTurbo varient.

but again i repeat.

Go for Petrol beacuse limited use.

my preference list.

Starlet Reflet.

Corolla 110.

Carina AT210 pre facelift.

Mazda BJ5P pre facelift.

Nissan N16.

Honda EK3.

Yes I saw your story and really feel sorry about it. Also saw that is listed in a popular classifieds. around 7.5

Nice car though.

Carina is a little luxury model. will be nice but heaver than others (correct ?)

Mazda's, nisan's, "Honda"s I personally don't consider.

Have to be little Toyota ish as my father will be assisting. :)But kelisa is ok

Edited by hiru555

Wooo 27000 vs 4500. Can you please quote some values (For services). I'm not aware about petrol cars and it actually did nearly 18 outstations I hope. at least without ac. correct ?

It did around 15 in Colombo with A/C. Sorry I don't carry a petrol measuring cup with me to check how much a car does in Colombo, outstations etc.

Normal service would cost about 6000 with Mobil 1000 oil and filter.

• Like 1

I have to ask ! Didn't you consider one of these ?

Sri+Lanka-2011141.jpg

Hey... This is not facebook to post joke photos. AL should have a good stranded and this kind of jokes or time/resource wasters should be eliminated. See http://forum.xda-developers.com/ one of the worlds largest forums and how they maintain standers. You are just a school leaver and go find some where else to play.

Just a school leavers opinion to a thel higanna, you might as well buy this bicycle and go on the left than trying to make a old ass car 'to do 17+ in outstations with a light foot' and hog the roads.

Edited by Dinukap4
  • Like 1

Yes I saw your story and really feel sorry about it. Also saw that is listed in a popular classifieds. around 7.5

Nice car though.

Carina is a little luxury model. will be nice but heaver than others (correct ?)

Mazda's, nisan's, "Honda"s I personally don't consider.

Have to be little Toyota ish as my father will be assisting. :)But kelisa is ok

Yes the carina is heavier and will give you low kmpl values than the corolla. and it will be hard to find a pre face lifted one below 17m.

Like crosswind said Kelisa is a nice little car for its price. I remember on a topgear episode, Jeremy Clarkson hammering a poor old kelisa to its death :(

Yes the carina is heavier and will give you low kmpl values than the corolla. and it will be hard to find a pre face lifted one below 17m.

Like crosswind said Kelisa is a nice little car for its price. I remember on a topgear episode, Jeremy Clarkson hammering a poor old kelisa to its death :(

Ya. I too saw that. I saw in many places that every one gives marks for kelisa. I'll too give my top priority to it. Other than its Odd look of the back. Hope to visit to see some cars tomorrow. Will update you guys. Keep on posting ....

Heh. Same with the starlet owners. there is a english plated diesel starlet at Asgiriya. Owner is expecting 19.5 :)

I still see the add now for months. :sport-smiley-004:

Also somebody please tell me revenue licence for diesel is higher than a petrol ?. what will be the margin ?

is it the White colour one with glanza kit.diesel english plate and black colour hood.?

car is in good nick but again the engine is shot.a replacement will be another 200k and you are reaching the vios money with that.

just for glanza(fiber-local made) bodykit.he may never sell that car for 19.5, not even 15.

forget it.

Pre facelift 300 -301 plates available well below 1.7m. i met several samples last month when i was searching for one.found 65 diesel in good nick for1.65.

Carina is a different toyota from that era i have no complaints.

as i noticed in general.

cars from Ratnapura are overpriced.

Kandy cars are bit aged mechanically.may be due to steep roads.

cars from colombo are the cheapest and average good nick.

So i highly advice you to Go colombo for a day and hunt for cars.until get a good deal.

always avoid sales joints.

good luck.

Edited by chan5

is it the White colour one with glanza kit.diesel english plate and black colour hood.? car is in good nick but again the engine is shot.a replacement will be another 200k and you are reaching the vios money with that. just for glanza(fiber-local made) bodykit.he may never sell that car for 19.5, not even 15. forget it.

Yes that Is :). Poor people. The fun part is they still expect the same value after so many months.

Pre facelift 300 -301 plates .....................

good luck.

Chan5

Wow this is really valuable to know. Found some good looking ones in gampaha. They may be the same like in colombo.

Carina will be in my upper margin. Not a good idea to spend all what I have.

If I where you i would consider

1.Mitsubishi galant diesel (might be above your budget)

2.Mitsubishi Lancer cb8 diesel, (old but looks good, can save some money for repairs if needed)

3.Corolla ce110

4.Sunny sb14

The starlet is not that good from personal experience,

And small cars wont give you enough leg room.

Thanks Clark's son

I once drove a alto 2006 for about 2 hours and it wan't unconformable. Leg space was ok. Hope starlet too will be ok.

I saw you feedback about starlets in other threads.

Currently my preference list is

1) Kelisa

2) starlet

Still turning the head towards diesel once though. If its a diesel I'll do more kms like 1000

Hope to see some vehicles this week end as I'll be busy during the weekdays. So will have time to think more.

the starlets (97) I found were higher in price than kelisa (2008) and no any options at least power shutters. maybe that's one reason they ask cooperatively low price.

Diesels are economical vehicles if you run alot.

to give you specific number,

If you run less than 2500kms for a month,a diesel is not cheaper considering the fact that old diesels are hacked to death by chepos and spares are more expensive than petrol varients of same car.

also mind you it gives frequent hickups than same age petrol.

at the moment also im using a diesel car and its quite economical beacuse i run 3500-4000km per month.

so my simple advice is.

1 Stick to petrol car.

2- atleast Stay away from starlet diesel perticularly.

3 - Starlet 300-301 would be best if english plate are expensive.

4- I have no experience in Kelisa.

I have used a starlet EP82 manual earlier and an EP91 auto, sold for 1.7 one year back. I prefer the manual one over the auto.

You get any part freely at used parts shops. Very economical to maintain and trouble free cars in IMO.

Using a CE110 manual for last 15 years and it's a trustworthy daily runner. It does 12 in the city. I think you'll be able to find one below 1.6 nowadays.

No Mazda's, nisan's, "Honda"s

You r such interesting guy.

What about "proton gen 2" for you. But don't think you drive a copy of Mazda 3.

:) The reason is my father will be assisting me buying a car and If I want to stay in the same home "Kanak ahila" :music-smiley-012: I'll have to stick with toyota. But for some reason he is ok with the kelisa. Maybe some one have told him that its good.

@Chan5

I've made my mind to go for a petrol. and a small hatch. Coincided CE110 and others earlier and with AL members feedback and my calculations. It'll be a Petrol. So thats why the list have now only starlet and kelisa. Have to inspect them also considering the prices. Seems like have to stay till the weekend.

AL is like a school for me I leaned a lot from it. Thanks guys, you people do such a nice job.

:) The reason is my father will be assisting me buying a car and If I want to stay in the same home "Kanak ahila" :music-smiley-012: I'll have to stick with toyota. But for some reason he is ok with the kelisa. Maybe some one have told him that its good.

@Chan5

I've made my mind to go for a petrol. and a small hatch. Coincided CE110 and others earlier and with AL members feedback and my calculations. It'll be a Petrol. So thats why the list have now only starlet and kelisa. Have to inspect them also considering the prices. Seems like have to stay till the weekend.

AL is like a school for me I leaned a lot from it. Thanks guys, you people do such a nice job.

You can probably also get the manual version of the Viva Elite semi option model. I went on the hunt with a friend a couple of weeks ago and noted the market was 1.6 to 1.7 and these cars were only about 3 years old and had done around 40K kms.

He bought his Elite Premium edition (full option model) for 2.025 million.

I will try to get a 1000cc though as this will prove the hardier engine compared to the 660cc.

Thanks don,

Viva Elites..good option. but I thought they are in my very upper margin and to spend much less and have something saved so I can spend on other "plans". Our decision now is to go for a one between 11.5 to 14. That is one reason I drop the CE110 idea too....

Hi fellows,

Went to see some cars.

the last one we visited is a English numbed (GD 1996 )starlet. dark blue. engine is in good shape. have done 180000+

full option signal air bag. no alloys. not tinted.

Interior not that good. not all electrical components are working.

body is ok but i don't like the color.

is it ok to pay 15 for such a car. ?

owner is asking at least 15.3

in a summery the 97 301 car has replaced the steering wheel with air bag ? maybe a accident didn't even bother to visit.

quoted quoted-quoted price 13.75

other one was a 301 full option starlet. it is vobeling while driving. didn't talked about a price for that. owner hasn't even used coolant in radiator quoted price 15.35

somebody please tell me what will be the service interval for starlet petrol. 5000km ?

any thoughts.

the last one we visited is a English numbed (GD 1996 )starlet. dark blue. engine is in good shape. have done 180000+

full option signal air bag. no alloys. not tinted.

Interior not that good. not all electrical components are working.

body is ok but i don't like the color.

is it ok to pay 15 for such a car. ?

owner is asking at least 15.3

Sigh... is this even a question?

Did your father accompany you during the car hunt? If so, now it is a good chance to convince him that you have to pay unworthy prices for most of the second hand Toyotas...

The car you are talking about is almost 18 years old with apparent 180000 on the clock and having issues that you could identify. How was the mechanical condition?

My opinion is that there are better cars of other brands for the same price range...(other than Indian ones)

Edited by bagUrE