• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Sri Lankan Second Hand Vehicle Market Comparison

sathyajithj99

Question

Gents, I would like to do a comparison of second hand vehicle market of Japanese vehicles in Sri Lanka according to the brand names as well as 10 years back and now. Correct me if I'm wrong. Your predictions about future market according to brands are also welcome ( not looking into the magic ball :sport-smiley-004: ) .I am not trying to say the most popular brand is the best.

10 years ago

Toyota > Nissan > Mitsubishi > Honda > Suzuki > Mazda

Now

Toyota > Honda > Mitsubishi > Nissan > Suzuki > Mazda

Even though Toyota still holds the first place I seriously doubt for how long... seeing all these all new vezels & fits invading the local car market.What do you think guys?

• Like 1

yes your right as for example if you take the 1985 Lancer GLX and compare with the Toyota Corolla of the same year the Lancer was way ahead in features like the RPM meter,Digital clock,design style,opening the fuel lid and boot from inside etc

The B11 Sunny was second to the Lancer but a very good car and very economical (i think better than the Lancer of that age)

One of the reasons why Mitsubishis and Nissans had a better market share in the 80s and 90s was the fact that they had more options than Toyotas of the same era. Also Toyota dealership was run by Freudenberg until the 90s, which made a pig's breakfast out of the market. Toyota taking over the Sri Lankan dealership, financial woes of Mitsubishi and NIssan in Japan, Unit#d Mot#rs bringing down a problematic batch of Lancers, Nissan deciding to downgrade the Sunny to a POS (I'm talking about N16), all contributed to the rising of Toyota in the local market and virtual downfall of Mitsubishis and Nissans.

On a related note, Toyota has always been the market leader here in the passenger van market since the 70s. Mitsubishi Rosa continues to be the unrivalled leader in the 26-30 seater A/C bus market. However, the Chinese will eventually take over this market.

yes your right as for example if you take the 1985 Lancer GLX and compare with the Toyota Corolla of the same year the Lancer was way ahead in features like the RPM meter,Digital clock,design style,opening the fuel lid and boot from inside etc

The B11 Sunny was second to the Lancer but a very good car and very economical (i think better than the Lancer of that age)

From a technical perspective the B11 was no Match for the Lancer C12. The Lancer was superior in most departments except for fuel efficiency, but in SL that matters. The Sunny was lighter, had less equipment, bland design, but reliable and good on fuel.

Amen to that.

And i think toyota really started to rule the market since the mid 2000's with the popularity of the 110 and the 121, followed by the arrival of Allion Vios etc and then around 2010 a sudden plethora of Vitz's appeared. Frankly though I'm now surpised by the Vitz -> Fit conversion rate ..almost every Vitz owner I know has shifted to a Honda Fit.

Nissans were quite popular (remember the doctor sunny in the 1990's) upto and including the FB15. But I think the N16 disappointed and the Tiida didn't become popular (despite being a decent ride) and somehow popularity of the common Nissan models have reduced.

100% true. Now Toyota lives end of their popularity... Honda will take that place soon

I am glad Mazda is last , hope it would be like that for coming years. So we can afford stylish , fun to drive cars rather than overpriced ones that every Tom, Dick and Harry buys.

Looking at the new designs of the Mazda cars (i.e. Mazda 6, Demio), I don't think Mazda will be in the last place for long...