• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Shock Absorbers

alpha17

hello everybody,

the shock absorbers of my corolla 121 seems to be replaced.all four.so i called toyota and the quoted me rs.100000 for the all four.(60k for the front 2 and 40k for the rear two.)seems they are extremely overpriced.so i decided to go for something like kyb.so i have these doubts.

-what is the best option that i can go for????(not the genuine toyotas)

-would the replacement of kyb makes any difference other than the price???

-i heard kyb's are pretty bumpy.is it true???

-in kyb are there any options that are more comfort oriented???

-if i change the shocks,what are the other components that i have to change related to the suspension system

thank you

hello everybody,

the shock absorbers of my corolla 121 seems to be replaced.all four.so i called toyota and the quoted me rs.100000 for the all four.(60k for the front 2 and 40k for the rear two.)seems they are extremely overpriced.so i decided to go for something like kyb.so i have these doubts.

-if i change the shocks,what are the other components that i have to change related to the suspension system

thank you

Search!!!!

In short find out who made the original shocks on your car (probably KYB) OEM.

Figure out the exact type (Gas or Hydraulic).

Replace with OEM genuine Japanese original of the same type.

The bumpy ness comes when you replace with Gas shocks when the originals were hydraulic, you replace with non OEM or you get the export model shocks when your car is a JDM (part numbers are slightly different but they fit).

thnx for your replies.anyway mine is a jdm, yom 2000 g grade one.does anybody know that what is the exact type of shock absorbers(hydraulic or gas) do i have to replace?????

Easy, get your mechanic to take a front and back shock out of your car, and take it with you to buy the replacement.

hello everybody,

thank you

Check with TAAS, they are the agents for KYB. Furthermore, KYB is the OEM for toyota, which is your best fit.

I replaced all my vios shocks with KYB from TAAS.Cost 27000/= ;)Want to share my pleasant experience. I was searching for a garage so the Guys at Taas took me to their garage.They found that the old bumper stops are in good condition and returned my money back.Garage guy found that one shock was in very good condition so Taas guys asked me whether I want to return that as well.And also found that one of my shock mount was bad and a guy went and brought one from GS motors for me without additional cost.They were nice enough to stay with me till the repair being done.Garage guys did a perfect job pressurizing the shocks and all.Gave me a test run.Bill was 1600/=.

Edited by GayanR
  • Like 1

I replaced all my vios shocks with KYB from TAAS.Cost 27000/= ;)Want to share my pleasant experience. I was searching for a garage so the Guys at Taas took me to their garage.They found that the old bumper stops are in good condition and returned my money back.Garage guy found that one shock was in very good condition so Taas guys asked me whether I want to return that as well.And also found that one of my shock mount was bad and a guy went and brought one from GS motors for me without additional cost.They were nice enough to stay with me till the repair being done.Garage guys did a perfect job pressurizing the shocks and all.Gave me a test run.Bill was 1600/=.

Yea, the main reason for some motorists to feel a bumpy ride is that shocks were not pressurized properly. Its a must and you need to keep an eye on.

I also replaced all 04 of my vios , 01 year ago. after changed it, it felt like more bumpy and not comfortable as it is before.

But after 04 , 05 months later, it became smoothy and comfort. I don't know exact reason for that. :)

Shocks were not primered properly. Also there is a case of you getting used to it. There are multiple shocks from the same brand that fits one model. For example the Belta has slightly softter suspension than the brand new Yaris but the shocks are inter changeable. So to maintain the same feel, you need to find the exaxt match. If you look at their catalogue you will see multiple KYB part number match a certain model of car.

Also if your car originally had hydraulic shocks, replacing with the more duarable but expensive gas shocks will usually lead to a harder ride.

This is about the 15th time I'm repeating the same thing, so please search. Its a very common query.

today i replaced all the 4 shocks with kyb and brought from taas.costed me 35k for the shocks.also i had to change the bushes and the covers.all together costed me 40k.i'm yet to experience the ride.shocks are gas ones.and the genuine ones are completely worn out......will share my new experience as soon as possible...thank you guys for your advices................. :dance3:

Post whereabouts of this place machan ? Do they carry out all sort of repairs ?

• 1 year later...

Guys sorry to bring up and old thread but I thought it would be better than opening a new one.

My car has developed a very peculiar suspension related issue, I noticed that the car has become very unstable and wobbly at low speeds. The felling is as if you had fitted a pair of stiff coilovers to one end and kept stock shocks in the other. The car feels like its rocking from back and forth and sometimes even sideways at low speed bumpy carpet roads.

Initially I thought the rear shocks were worn since the rear seems to bounce compared to the front, but when 1 actually did a bounce test the rear stops after 1 press almost always.

Now comes the weird part, upon further inspection we realized that the front shocks actually dont compress a lot and they decompress at a very slow speed. Mechanic took the shocks out of the car and it was clear that the front shocks wasnt compressing as it should. I need to clarify some stuff;

I was under the impression that when shocks fail they actually dont stop on the rebound? If so why have my shocks become stiff

Lets assume that shocks are bad and have become stiff but coil springs are supposed to bring the shock back into original position, if this happens slowly is it the fault of the shock or the springs (or is the stiff shock preventing the coil from doing its job) ?

Also mechanic recommended not to get new shocks since we can return recon ones if the shocks are not at fault, what do you guys think ?

I am not going to comment on your issue,

However, what I can say is that the bounce (and jounce) test is not very accurate when it comes to modern shock absorbers like twin tube SAs with multiple chambers and stage valves. In these cases the bounce test tests only part of the shock absorber. Typically the stages that handle the heavy impacts and not the stages that actually ease out and stabilize the constant minor jolts and jitters that a car is put through when rolling on the road.

Had a similar experience with my Corolla wagon. Did the bounce test and it was nice and firm. However when driving the rear wheels always rubbed on the arch (I have over sized wheels) and the back was not very planted. However, when Toyota checked the shock absorbers they were completely shot.

So yeah.....don't go strictly by the bounce test. and I am presuming upon visual inspection all the mounts and bushes and apparatus connected to the strut, etc... seem to be in order ? and now the issue is surrounding the coil springs and the shock ?

Well I have never heard of a coil not working other than it getting damaged due to an accident or cutting and shaving. Either way..it seems like the shock is not working as it should be ? So I am confused as to why there is a doubt if the shocks are still okay.

Also there can be a case where a hydraulic shock does not rebound which can happen if the valves are damaged and is restricting the re-flow of fluid from one side to the other (of the chamber). Not sure about gas ones but I reckon something similar would happen ?

I would say get new shocks and forget about the recon ones (besides you have no idea where the recon ones came from). If it fixes the problem then fine...if it doesn't..well how old are the current shocks anyway ? and they probably need changing...

Edited by iRage

I was under the impression that when shocks fail they actually dont stop on the rebound? If so why have my shocks become stiff

Hi Stig . i once faced a sort of simmilar situation where i did neglected replacing a shock which was leaking oil and making a creaking sound . after sometime the shockabsorber completely got stuck and the shock couldnt be compressed at all and it felt like going on a 3wheel . so a failing shock is not always one that doesnt stop on the rebound .

Hi Stig . i once faced a sort of simmilar situation where i did neglected replacing a shock which was leaking oil and making a creaking sound . after sometime the shockabsorber completely got stuck and the shock couldnt be compressed at all and it felt like going on a 3wheel . so a failing shock is not always one that doesnt stop on the rebound .
Actually this nails it, it does feel like a three-wheeler. Thanks.
I am not going to comment on your issue,

However, what I can say is that the bounce (and jounce) test is not very accurate when it comes to modern shock absorbers like twin tube SAs with multiple chambers and stage valves. In these cases the bounce test tests only part of the shock absorber. Typically the stages that handle the heavy impacts and not the stages that actually ease out and stabilize the constant minor jolts and jitters that a car is put through when rolling on the road.

Had a similar experience with my Corolla wagon. Did the bounce test and it was nice and firm. However when driving the rear wheels always rubbed on the arch (I have over sized wheels) and the back was not very planted. However, when Toyota checked the shock absorbers they were completely shot.

So yeah.....don't go strictly by the bounce test. and I am presuming upon visual inspection all the mounts and bushes and apparatus connected to the strut, etc... seem to be in order ? and now the issue is surrounding the coil springs and the shock ?

Well I have never heard of a coil not working other than it getting damaged due to an accident or cutting and shaving. Either way..it seems like the shock is not working as it should be ? So I am confused as to why there is a doubt if the shocks are still okay.

Also there can be a case where a hydraulic shock does not rebound which can happen if the valves are damaged and is restricting the re-flow of fluid from one side to the other (of the chamber). Not sure about gas ones but I reckon something similar would happen ?

I would say get new shocks and forget about the recon ones (besides you have no idea where the recon ones came from). If it fixes the problem then fine...if it doesn't..well how old are the current shocks anyway ? and they probably need changing...

All the bushes, arms and linkage stuff is fine. There is no visual oil leak on the shocks as well. Don't think the coils have been tampered with also, I think the stiffness of the shock is preventing the coil from expanding after absorbing.

Anyway I managed to find a pair of recon shock which I can use to test, know the owner so he was okay with me retuning them after testing. Plan to to test with the recon ones and put new kyb shocks if the issue is sorted. Thanks.

Front shocks are usually slow to rebound because the spring rates are higher due to the fact that most cars have the engine hanging over or slightly ahead of the wheels. I notice this in my Axio, where the front rebound is almost non-existent whereas the rear bounces once before settling.

Guys so update, I replaced with the recon set and the issues seemed fine (wasn't sure since alignments were out and had a bit of grinding). Finally got a pair of kyb for around 21k and did a wheel alignment after. Issue is sorted now.

• Like 4