• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How To Get That Stunning Wet Look?

vandeyj

You can use 3M quick wax to get reasonable results. It's easier to apply and can be applied even before the vehicle is dried after a body wash. But the paste wax is much more shinier.

If you are talking about the wet look in tires, be careful because most tire shiners in the market remove the UV shield that protects the tires. There is something called 3M tire restorer which does the job and prevents cracking at the same time but i've found with this you would get a matte look instead of a wet look.

What is this UV shield that protect tyres. Please explain (I'm genuinely curious). From my limited understanding there are chemicals added to the rubber to slow down age related wear which become inactive if the tyres is not used. I wasn't aware of a UV shield.....

What is this UV shield that protect tyres. Please explain (I'm genuinely curious). From my limited understanding there are chemicals added to the rubber to slow down age related wear which become inactive if the tyres is not used. I wasn't aware of a UV shield.....

I was actually speaking of the UV absorber/surface coating (i.e carbon black) that is added to prevent dry rot and uv deterioration. UV shield may not be the correct term for it.

http://www.tire-information-world.com/tire-sidewall-deterioration.html

I have read that prolonged use of substandard tire shine products can mess with this. i.e. http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2169303

I have no personal experience of this though. I've seem several similar threads online and those were the source of my understanding.

Edited by ramishkad

The best product for the 'wet look' on vehicle paint that I've used is Duragloss Aquawax. That was in US and the first time I used the product, I could not not stop walking around the car just looking at it for ages :)

I don't think Duragloss is available here, I use 3M products (Quick Wax & Performance Finish Synthetic) for reasonable results with minimal effort. There are a lot more professional grade stuff available I guess.

Well that escalated quickly....lol

You can't get any paint job on any car get that wet look no matter what product you use.A lot depends on what the manufacturers used as paint.For example I find German cars,especially Mercs,respond well to a good waxing than say, a KIA.

Anyway Maguirs if you can get your hands on is good,I recently polished a car with Maguirs and then applied Wurth 'finishing wax' immediately after.Turned out well it did...I have bought a few high end waxing products recently.I shall experiment and post my findings.

Don't go crazy with waxing or do it often cos what you're basically doing is taking a layer off the laquer.Do it regularly and you'll dull the paint.

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 1

You can't get any paint job on any car get that wet look no matter what product you use.A lot depends on what the manufacturers used as paint.For example I find German cars,especially Mercs,respond well to a good waxing than say, a KIA.

Anyway Maguirs if you can get your hands on is good,I recently waxed a car with Maguirs and then applied Wurth 'finishing wax' immediately after.Turned out well it did...I have bought a few high end waxing products recently.I shall experiment and post my findings.

Don't go crazy with waxing or do it often cos what you're basically doing is taking a layer off the laquer.Do it regularly and you'll dull the paint.

Isn't that the difference between waxing and polishing?

Anyway Maguirs if you can get your hands on is good,I recently polished a car with Maguirs and then applied Wurth 'finishing wax' immediately after.Turned out well it did...I have bought a few high end waxing products recently.I shall experiment and post my findings.

Any recommendations for what to use on the Cat? I haven't done any sort of bodywork treatment since I got it and i'm thinking it's about time I did...

Generally how often you should Wax your vehicle...? The thing is my car is always parked outside during day and night and directly exposed to all the weather conditions. Due to this I do a Wax at least once a month to protect the Paint... Is it Bad...?? Please advice....

Any recommendations for what to use on the Cat? I haven't done any sort of bodywork treatment since I got it and i'm thinking it's about time I did...

I didn't see any noticable scratches or swirls on it so let's do a wash and wax first and see how it turns out.Mothers or Maguirs if we can find if not 3M,Autoglym and Wurth are good too.

Generally how often you should Wax your vehicle...? The thing is my car is always parked outside during day and night and directly exposed to all the weather conditions. Due to this I do a Wax at least once a month to protect the Paint... Is it Bad...?? Please advice....

Hi waxing about once a month is ok but polishing should be no more than 4 times a year IMO.On wax product,Make sure it is a recognized brand because cheaper wax(like STR) can react badly with our scorching sun and do more harm than good.

To everybody reading.Please do not confuse waxing and polishing.Here'a good article explaining the difference I just googled up. http://www.carsdirect.com/car-maintenance/car-polish-and-wax-are-they-the-same-which-comes-first

Edited by MasterDon

Hi waxing about once a month is ok but polishing should be no more than 4 times a year IMO.On wax product,Make sure it is a recognized brand because cheaper wax(like STR) can react badly with our scorching sun and do more harm than good.

To everybody reading.Please do not confuse waxing and polishing.Here'a good article explaining the difference I just googled up. http://www.carsdirect.com/car-maintenance/car-polish-and-wax-are-they-the-same-which-comes-first

Thank you MasterDon.

I didn't see any noticable scratches or swirls on it so let's do a wash and wax first and see how it turns out.Mothers or Maguirs if we can find if not 3M,Autoglym and Wurth are good too.

Also a good quality car wash liquid is important as anything harsher will peel away the layer. If your car is waxed well, the chances are a good hosing off will wash away the the more common dirt and wiping with a quality chamois will give excellent results.

But it all depends on your car's paint condition though. No amount of waxing will hide a bad paint job.

Edited by VVTi
  • Like 1