• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Water Dripping To Wire Harness

asrock

Question

Yesterday I washed my car and opened the hood for inspection and I noticed excess water drained from the lower windshield plastic cowl was falling on to a wire harness. The harness is coming from the dashboard. I think there should be a plastic cover to insulate the harness but its somehow missing. I took an insulation tape and insulated it. I don’t know if this is normal or should I cover the harness with a plastic like the rest of it?

1zdvlh0.jpg

17 answers to this question

The shielding / Casing bit must have fallen off or tampered with along the way. Also due to the division and grommet, it may have been only covered with tape which fell off probably.

You better buy a piece (available in-various gauges and sizes in Auto electrical shops).

Usual manufacturer wiring loom method is : Wire-> Complete electrical tape masking -> casing -> tape masking over casing.

Pay bit of attention to the Division in the loom going into the grommet, and cover it all up just to be safe, 5min DIY :violent-smiley-030:

Does look like that part of the harness was covered only using tape because the harness separates into two directions after coming out of the grommet.

Insulation must have fallen off like tiv said. Get some black insulation tape and wrap it up.

Thanks for the answers guys. Yes I got some black insulation tape and wrapped it up. Like tiv said I should get a proper cover and cover the thing. Is it normal for water to drip along that area? This is on the passenger side.

I think the water drip could have happened as there was pressure in the hose, the beading that seals the hood onto that part is damaged or a water channel is blocked with dust and leaves causing it to overflow.

Some water getting into the engine compartment is not a massive issue. It happens all the time. As long as it does not spray on electric connectors and sensors you are probably ok. But watch out for signs of rust.

I think the water drip could have happened as there was pressure in the hose, the beading that seals the hood onto that part is damaged or a water channel is blocked with dust and leaves causing it to overflow.

Yes that could happen, where I park theres is a small tree, there are leaves all over the car most of the time, and my car is not a daily runner. Should I remove the windshield plastic cowl and clean it? When I put the finger inside the place where the water is comming I can feel a small hole. Normally where should this excess water drain to?

If leaves get in to those small spaces, they will rot and clog. This will cause water to fill the spaces during rain, and eventually start rusting.

Best is to clear the leaves and debris from the area often. Yes, remove the plastic covers and check to see if all the water passages are clear of muck. You don't want a rust issue on your firewall.

I had an issue like that in my old E39 and cost me dearly to repair it at Prestige. Water has collected during the previous owner's times and the rust has set it and destroyed part of the firewall, passenger foot well and the engine mount surrounds. The complete car had to be stripped to enable the repair including engine, windshield, wire harness, dashboard, front seats, etc.

Yes that could happen, where I park theres is a small tree, there are leaves all over the car most of the time, and my car is not a daily runner. Should I remove the windshield plastic cowl and clean it? When I put the finger inside the place where the water is comming I can feel a small hole. Normally where should this excess water drain to?

Find the drainage channel and line asrock. Follow it along and clean it from dust earth and whatever else is blocking it. Observe if the water is flowing down properly through the channel into the holes. Normally the holes are on the sides and the drains through a drain channel covered by the fender/ mud guard.

Also don't discount rust, which might have created a hole where there should not be one. If you find one have it dealt with immediately.

If its a small hole, I reccomend a fiber mesh repair (clean the rust completely, apply anti corrosive paint around, glue a small wire mesh and cover it up with fiber glass and cure it) as proper tinkering in this area will require a lot of disassembly and take it from me, it is more trouble than its worth, as the bits you take off will never go back in properly again (and you will spend your life listening to a noisy dashboard).

If leaves get in to those small spaces, they will rot and clog. This will cause water to fill the spaces during rain, and eventually start rusting.

Best is to clear the leaves and debris from the area often. Yes, remove the plastic covers and check to see if all the water passages are clear of muck. You don't want a rust issue on your firewall.

I had an issue like that in my old E39 and cost me dearly to repair it at Prestige. Water has collected during the previous owner's times and the rust has set it and destroyed part of the firewall, passenger foot well and the engine mount surrounds. The complete car had to be stripped to enable the repair including engine, windshield, wire harness, dashboard, front seats, etc.

I shudder, but how much did Prestige charge you for this?

Thanks Don and VVTI, I'll remove the plastic covers and clean over the weekend.

Actually what you can do is remove all the plastics, take it to a nearby service station and get the kollas to give it a blast of air. Then let it dry and re fix all.

It seems rust is a major killer, also there is a little rust from the jack inside the small space where its fastened. I cleaned it ones but there was some debris last time I checked and I cleaned it again. The jack itself is pretty rusty :)

It seems rust is a major killer, also there is a little rust from the jack inside the small space where its fastened. I cleaned it ones but there was some debris last time I checked and I cleaned it again. The jack itself is pretty rusty :)

Chemically treat and apply anti corrosive paint to protect.

I too encounter similar issue. Water supposed to drain near fender liners but drain hole is clogged with debris and plugged. Had to remove wiper arms, plastic cowling along with rubber seal. When you remove, make sure not to damage plastic retainer clips, as they are sometimes not available locallly (had to import through amayama). What i did was use a small plastic cable to clean the drain path and wash. Make sure to close fresh air intake or else water will drip inside.

Lessont learnt : never park your car under trees. Repainting faded paint is much easier than repairing rust.

I too encounter similar issue. Water supposed to drain near fender liners but drain hole is clogged with debris and plugged. Had to remove wiper arms, plastic cowling along with rubber seal. When you remove, make sure not to damage plastic retainer clips, as they are sometimes not available locallly (had to import through amayama). What i did was use a small plastic cable to clean the drain path and wash. Make sure to close fresh air intake or else water will drip inside. Lessont learnt : never park your car under trees. Repainting faded paint is much easier than repairing rust.

and falling branch repairs are far tougher to fix also.... :)

• Like 1