• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

I'm planning to buy a Volkswagen PASSAT TDI 2004. I'm wondering whether it will be a good choice. Details are as follows.

• Fuel type: Diesel
  • Engine capacity: 1,896 cc
  • Mileage: 65,000 km
  • Condition: Average
  • 1st owner & maintained at Senok. That's what he said.
  • Fully loaded with sunroof

I did a small research and found these information. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Fuel consumption: 6-7 KM/L, 10-11 outside
  • Reliability & Performance: Better than Japanese cars
  • Maintainability: Very expensive & parts are available but not like Toyotas.

Since I don't have much experience with VWs I thought of asking the experts.

• What's the reasonable price tag for this car?
  • What are the common issues with this car?
  • Any helpful information?
  • Expensiveness of parts compared to Mitsubishi Lancers?(I had one)

I have gone through the following links.

Edited by dasunh

You really cannot compare VWs with Japanese cars. Japanese car manufacturers are not well known for producing good diesel cars. Regular maintenance cost may not be so expensive as you think since the oil change intervals minimum 10,000 kms..I know a guy who owned VW jetta for many years was changing the oil at 15,000 km intervals. But as you said the spare part prices are very expensive compared to some other euro brands. No doubt about it's comfort and performance but I have a question mark on the reliability factor.

Price tags for vehicles in Sri Lanka are unrealistic and unpredictable. I feel 2.2 to 2.4 million would be reasonable for VW Passat TDI 2004. Definitely the spare part prices will be expensive than Mitsubishi Lancers. If i were you, I would have considered Audi A4 2004 as a better choice than VW Passat. Anyway this is my personal view. Do a bit more research not from the internet but from the guys who use it practically. Good Luck.

• Like 1

You really cannot compare VWs with Japanese cars. Japanese car manufacturers are not well known for producing good diesel cars. Regular maintenance cost may not be so expensive as you think since the oil change intervals minimum 10,000 kms..I know a guy who owned VW jetta for many years was changing the oil at 15,000 km intervals. But as you said the spare part prices are very expensive compared to some other euro brands. No doubt about it's comfort and performance but I have a question mark on the reliability factor.

Price tags for vehicles in Sri Lanka are unrealistic and unpredictable. I feel 2.2 to 2.4 million would be reasonable for VW Passat TDI 2004. Definitely the spare part prices will be expensive than Mitsubishi Lancers. If i were you, I would have considered Audi A4 2004 as a better choice than VW Passat. Anyway this is my personal view. Do a bit more research not from the internet but from the guys who use it practically. Good Luck.

Thank you very much for your input. I have one question why do you think Audi A4 2004 is better than VW Passat?

I'm planning to buy a Volkswagen PASSAT TDI 2004. I'm wondering whether it will be a good choice. Details are as follows.

• Fuel type: Diesel
  • Engine capacity: 1,896 cc
  • Mileage: 65,000 km
  • Condition: Average
  • 1st owner & maintained at Senok. That's what he said.
  • Fully loaded with sunroof

Sounds good to me. Pity I'm not in the market for one as this sounds like a good prospect: I've got nothing but good things to say about the 1.9 TDI motor and transmission. We had a 1.9 TDI in the family until last year / early this year. The thing was rock solid. We hardly spend any money on maintenance, I think overall I think I spent less money maintaining it than I do my Nissan. Ours had a DSG transmission on it and despite it being an auto 1.9 TDI the thing was quite nippy. I miss all the low end torque and the relatively low maintenance needs. Although I'd never admit it I miss the ole oil burner quite a bit.

I did a small research and found these information. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Fuel consumption: 6-7 KM/L, 10-11 outside
  • Reliability & Performance: Better than Japanese cars

Bang on. As for maintenance I can't comment on maintenance as we never had to do any! Yeap- Not even the suspension needed any attention. (The only issues were the usual VW electrical gremlins that popped up such as the rear interior lights turning off and on randomly and the CD changer not working / not registering on the head unit every now and then...)

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

Sounds good to me. Pity I'm not in the market for one as this sounds like a good prospect: I've got nothing but good things to say about the 1.9 TDI motor and transmission. We had a 1.9 TDI in the family until last year / early this year. The thing was rock solid. We hardly spend any money on maintenance, I think overall I think I spent less money maintaining it than I do my Nissan. Ours had a DSG transmission on it and despite it being an auto 1.9 TDI the thing was quite nippy. I miss all the low end torque and the relatively low maintenance needs. Although I'd never admit it I miss the ole oil burner quite a bit.

Bang on. As for maintenance I can't comment on maintenance as we never had to do any! Yeap- Not even the suspension needed any attention. (The only issues were the usual VW electrical gremlins that popped up such as the rear interior lights turning off and on randomly and the CD changer not working / not registering on the head unit every now and then...)

Thank you very much for your input.

Anyway people say 'PASSAT TDI Diesel' has issues after you pass the 70k-80k mileage. Is it true??? Does anyone has any information????

Anyway people say 'PASSAT TDI Diesel' has issues after you pass the 70k-80k mileage. Is it true??? Does anyone has any information????

What kind of issues? Electrical? Or powertrain / engine? Suspension?

Yes to the electrical ( its pretty minor stuff, nothing that would stop me buying another one). No to the power train or engine, and no to the suspension. We used our TDI diesel till it hit around 120k-140k if I remember correctly, and it had no issues.

(The only real draw back is that its noisy compared to other euro diesels, which is I think just due to the (pretty rudimentary) engine design. On the bright side this means that maintenance is super simple and very straight forward on this engine when you compare it with other euro diesels where even basic maintenance items like air filters are really hard to change and come in twos etc! The DSG gear box and the timing belt however do require a bit of (expensive) maintenance every now and then; but everything else is pretty straight forward)

Edited by Kavvz

I used to drive a 99 A4 1.9TDi. That has more or less the same engine as what your thinking to buy. Only difference is that the VW will have a PD diesel pump (There is a pump for each injector). more BHP and torque. They are basically bullet proof diesel engines. I ran mine till about 150k and never had a engine repair albeit it had a traditional diesel pump. The only trouble i got was oil leaks from the turbo hoses which were replaced and not that expensive. The torque from that engine that old was really good. When the turbo kicks in it gives you a feeling that it can pass anything on the road (Which it can't). Really shines on hill country where the Jap cars are stranded. Brilliant car. Didn't handle that well though.

Mine was a manual and i got 18kmpl on long trips. One trip i went from colombo->nuwara eliya->Mahiyangana->batticaloa->Passikudha->Damulla-> Colombo. Was rock solid. The later 2.0TDi engines had problems. 1.9Tdi Recommended!

Edited by TheFlyingFox
  • Like 1

What kind of issues? Electrical? Or powertrain / engine? Suspension?

Yes to the electrical ( its pretty minor stuff, nothing that would stop me buying another one). No to the power train or engine, and no to the suspension. We used our TDI diesel till it hit around 120k-140k if I remember correctly, and it had no issues.

(The only real draw back is that its noisy compared to other euro diesels, which is I think just due to the (pretty rudimentary) engine design. On the bright side this means that maintenance is super simple and very straight forward on this engine when you compare it with other euro diesels where even basic maintenance items like air filters are really hard to change and come in twos etc! The DSG gear box and the timing belt however do require a bit of (expensive) maintenance every now and then; but everything else is pretty straight forward)

I used to drive a 99 A4 1.9TDi. That has more or less the same engine as what your thinking to buy. Only difference is that the VW will have a PD diesel pump (There is a pump for each injector). more BHP and torque. They are basically bullet proof diesel engines. I ran mine till about 150k and never had a engine repair albeit it had a traditional diesel pump. The only trouble i got was oil leaks from the turbo hoses which were replaced and not that expensive. The torque from that engine that old was really good. When the turbo kicks in it gives you a feeling that it can pass anything on the road (Which it can't). Really shines on hill country where the Jap cars are stranded. Brilliant car. Didn't handle that well though.

Mine was a manual and i got 18kmpl on long trips. One trip i went from colombo->nuwara eliya->Mahiyangana->batticaloa->Passikudha->Damulla-> Colombo. Was rock solid. The later 2.0TDi engines had problems. 1.9Tdi Recommended!

I went there to see the car

• Interior was damaged(mostly seats). Pretty much I will have to do the interior from the strach.
  • Right front power shutter wasn't working.
  • Sunroof had a issue when closing.
  • Exterior had couple of scraches
  • Cubbyhole had a issue

But it was a nice car to drive. He's demanding 2.6M. I'm wondering what to do :-O

2.6M is way too much if it's not in mint condition. I would say 2.2-2.3MM would be a safe bet. Nowadays the demand for diesel cars are not that high. Noise, smoke and the fuel prices don't have a big gap. What you will gain is better fuel consumption and a nippy engine around town. at 2.6M he is flirting with the price range of a 2004 Diesel Audi A4. Although they share most of the components, It is still an Audi ;-)

Edited by TheFlyingFox

2.6M is way too much if it's not in mint condition. I would say 2.2-2.3MM would be a safe bet. Nowadays the demand for diesel cars are not that high. Noise, smoke and the fuel prices don't have a big gap. What you will gain is better fuel consumption and a nippy engine around town. at 2.6M he is flirting with the price range of a 2004 Diesel Audi A4. Although they share most of the components, It is still an Audi ;-)

Let's hope for the best ;-)

Thank you very much for your input. I have one question why do you think Audi A4 2004 is better than VW Passat?

As i said it's my personal view. First of all I felt Audit A4 has better looks and built quality than VW Passat. Engine performance more or less the same despite the fact that they both have engines running with different fuel. Maintenance won't be much of a difference on both cars. I simply choose A4 for the better outer looks and neat interior than VWs. I personally prefer a conventional petrol engine than a diesel one (Even though the diesel one save some bucks for you on fuel ) and of course the better badge. :D

As i said it's my personal view. First of all I felt Audit A4 has better looks and built quality than VW Passat. Engine performance more or less the same despite the fact that they both have engines running with different fuel. Maintenance won't be much of a difference on both cars. I simply choose A4 for the better outer looks and neat interior than VWs. I personally prefer a conventional petrol engine than a diesel one (Even though the diesel one save some bucks for you on fuel ) and of course the better badge. :D

That's good to know :-)

Edited by dasunh

As a new Passat owner let me share my views

I bought a VW Passat S model (2002)2000cc car in the UK on the 18th Dec,with 94 k miles on the clock,it cost £ 640! as unlike SL car prices depreciate a lot there

When I went to see the car I test drove it and it was fine mechanically apart from weak shocks and a stuck passenger window and the switch for the electric shutters were broken for the driver side as a result he reduced it from the earlier listed price of £ 999

A day after buying it in heavy stop and go traffic the ABS light and traction control light came on ,I called my garage owner and he said its ok to drive for few days as I was coming to SL on holidays and to leave the car with them when I go,the very next day the red oil pressure light came on which was very worrying but it happened very early in the morning when i was returning from a party all garages were closed,oil level was find when i checked it ,two days later the low oil light came on (yellow light) but oil was ok again and it was time for me to fly out hence left it at the garage and came and due to the hols they will work on it this week and let me know.

From what I read from the Passat forums VW has specified the type of oils to be used and if you use cheap stuff they get oil sludge and can damage the engine,but all who know about Passats say its a good rock solid car provided it has been looked after well

As for driving I like the 2 litre engine and the performance so far,but awaiting news from the garage re the warning lights

Thought of sharing my experience here hence the long narrative

As a new Passat owner let me share my views

I bought a VW Passat S model (2002)2000cc car in the UK on the 18th Dec,with 94 k miles on the clock,it cost £ 640! as unlike SL car prices depreciate a lot there

Holy crap! For only £ 640??!! Makes one almost want to move to the UK!

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

@carboy2011 that almost felt like deja-vu. I had the same errors when I bought my E46. ABS and traction control lights on and an intermittent oil light while the oil levels were fine. Turned out to be a faulty ABS sensor (which in turn messed up the traction control system) and a leaky oil level sensor. Hope yours is a simple fix.

Holy crap! For only £ 640??!! Makes one almost want to move to the UK!

Yes the purchase price of cars are low but insurance is high and so is garage labour costs at average of £ 40 per hr

since im on a shortish stint there and needed a car i bought this,if I was willing to spend say £ 1500-2000 I could have got a good motor and a newer one too (2004-2005)

@carboy2011 that almost felt like deja-vu. I had the same errors when I bought my E46. ABS and traction control lights on and an intermittent oil light while the oil levels were fine. Turned out to be a faulty ABS sensor (which in turn messed up the traction control system) and a leaky oil level sensor. Hope yours is a simple fix.

I hope so too ,only when the garage guys work on it will i know,its a good trustworthy place owned by a retired SL autombile engineer and /i have known him for years so its fine

Guys,

Sorry to interrupt. I decided to not to buy the Passat 2004 since the he's demanding 2.6 and it has lot of issue.

How about a Volkswagen Passat B5.5 2001, Diesel, Manual with 120,000 km. He's the 4th owner. What would be a reasonable price tag?

Edited by dasunh

Guys,

Sorry to interrupt. I decided to not to buy the Passat 2004 since the he's demanding 2.6 and it has lot of issue.

How about a Volkswagen Passat B5.5 2001, Diesel, Manual with 120,000 km. He's the 4th owner. What would be a reasonable price tag?

Tis your thread buddy. Have at it.

Personally I'd have considered the previous car a bit more, as the damages / issues with it sound like they are cosmetic and seem easy to fix. If the service records back up the low km's that'd be the car I'd consider.

I would go back to the owner and explain that his price point is too high and start pointing out the interior and exterior damages to him while tallying what it would cost to fix and get him to start off by reducing that cost. Once the negotiation starts off and he commits to dropping prices and negotiating, its easy to swing the price down further. Its the initial conversation to get the ball rolling that is tough; once things get going you're in the clear to a discount. Usually this approach works well for me, and in this case as the damages are extensive but mostly cosmetic, this car lends itself well to such an approach. Go grasshopper ! Go seek the TDI ! Be strong like the wind that bends the mighty trees to the ground as it passes!

Alternatively, as you walked away, you could also get someone else to call him up and check to see if its sold. If it isn't you can always go back with a lower offer / negotiate as mentioned above without seeming desperate.

If you're the shy type or like my parents feel you may hurt the seller's feelings by being aggressive, buy a case of beer and drop it off at my office with the owner's contact info. I'll do the needful. Only issue is that I may beat you to the tape and end up buying the car myself. If that's the case no worries, I'll return the beer or what's left of it.... ;)

Jokes aside if you're buying the car with 120k on the clock, check if the timing belt, water pump and rollers were changed at 100k. Its an expensive service (as it will have to be done at the agent using OEM parts ) so make sure you check and get a discount to the value of the service cost if they haven't.

Edited by Kavvz

Tis your thread buddy. Have at it.

Personally I'd have considered the previous car a bit more, as the damages / issues with it sound like they are cosmetic and seem easy to fix. If the service records back up the low km's that'd be the car I'd consider.

I would go back to the owner and explain that his price point is too high and start pointing out the interior and exterior damages to him while tallying what it would cost to fix and get him to start off by reducing that cost. Once the negotiation starts off and he commits to dropping prices and negotiating, its easy to swing the price down further. Its the initial conversation to get the ball rolling that is tough; once things get going you're in the clear to a discount. Usually this approach works well for me, and in this case as the damages are extensive but mostly cosmetic, this car lends itself well to such an approach. Go for it grasshopper ! Go seek the TDI ! Go and be strong like the wind that bends the mighty trees to the ground as it passes!

Alternatively, as you walked away, you could also get someone else to call him up and check to see if its sold. If it isn't you can always go back with a lower offer / negotiate as mentioned above without seeming desperate.

If you're the shy type or like my parents feel you may hurt the seller's feelings by being aggressive, buy a case of beer and drop it off at my office with the owner's contact info. I'll do the needful. Only issue is that I may beat you to the tape and end up buying the car myself. If that's the case no worries, I'll return the beer or what's left of it.... ;)

Jokes aside if you're buying the car with 120k on the clock, check if the timing belt, water pump and rollers were changed at 100k. Its an expensive service (as it will have to be done at the agent using OEM parts ) so make sure you check and get a discount to the value of the service cost if they haven't.

Thanks man. That's inspiring.

But the problem is that bloody bugger is not willing to bargain. I tried a lot. I'm wondering what to do. :sport-smiley-027: .

There are few Passats in the market and most of them have a crappy interior. This one is also no difference. I think the cars are not tropicalized.

If a Passat or any Euro has been maintained on time with the agent every time, then a high asking price is justifiable.

Don't buy a Euro because its cheap. Buy one because u want to enjoy the ride. If you buy a Euro because its cheap, you will end up spending more than the 2.6 mill anyway, for repairs.

Be prepared to pay the premium for a well maintained car. You won't regret it.

Also I'm not sure what kind of engine the Passat comes with. If it has a timing belt, it should have been replaced twice by now. Manufacturer recommended T-belt replacement interval is 100,000km OR 5 years. If it has been replaced (at least once), its an indication that the owner has maintained the car properly.

• Like 2

If a Passat or any Euro has been maintained on time with the agent every time, then a high asking price is justifiable.

Don't buy a Euro because its cheap. Buy one because u want to enjoy the ride. If you buy a Euro because its cheap, you will end up spending more than the 2.6 mill anyway, for repairs.

Also I'm not sure what kind of engine the Passat comes with. If it has a timing belt, it should have been replaced twice by now. Manufacturer recommended T-belt replacement interval is 100,000km OR 5 years. If it has been replaced (at least once), its an indication that the owner has maintained the car properly.

Yep. I agree with you. I would have bought a Toyota or Nissan if I'm looking for a cheep car. BTW Thanks for the info.

It has a timing belt and its not cheap to change out so as you say that's a good indication of whether a owner was cheap on maintenance or not...

Crosswind makes a good point and if you go through the forum you'll see his advice is on point...sometimes. I kid! I kid! He makes a good point.

But the problem is that bloody bugger is not willing to bargain. I tried a lot. I'm wondering what to do. :sport-smiley-027: .

There are few Passats in the market and most of them have a crappy interior. This one is also no difference. I think the cars are not tropicalized.

Yep. I agree with you. I would have bought a Toyota or Nissan if I'm looking for a cheep car. BTW Thanks for the info.

Sorry I can't help, other than to suggest an inspection at a mechanic or the agents so as to help you better whether its worth the premium or not. At the end of the day if the price is too high you can always walk away and look at something else.

p.s > For the record: I drive a Nissan! :D

Edited by Kavvz

Crosswind makes a good point and if you go through the forum you'll see his advice is on point...sometimes. I kid! I kid! He makes a good point.

Sorry I can't help, other than to suggest an inspection at a mechanic or the agents so as to help you better whether its worth the premium or not. At the end of the day if the price is too high you can always walk away and look at something else.

p.s > For the record: I drive a Nissan! :D

Oops Nissan has good cars too like 350z :-P