• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mitsubishi Xpander

trinity

Hello Guys, Good day to you all.

A very good friend of mine is looking forward to buy a Seven-Seater and asked me about Mitsubishi Xpander.  He is a car guy and knows his stuff. Since he knows my love for Mitsus he wanted my opinion on this as well. Since Xpander is a new model that is coming from Indonesia, I too could not tell him more than what he already knew. So here I am asking from you all, what are your thoughts on this vehicle?

Mitsubishi-Expander-Front.jpg

@iRage @Davy @The Don @Rumesh88 @Crosswind @Sierra Charlie @Sampath Gunasekera Would love to have your input on this :) 

Cheers!

• Like 1

How much is it, brand new from the agent?

I thought Mitsubishi discontinued the 4A91 engine and replaced it with the 4A92. Guess I was wrong.

Looking at the spec sheet on UNIMO website it looks like a 7 seater Lancer EX w/o the rear multilink suspension. Wonder if the 109hp engine would be enough with 7 people + cargo.

(Edit: it seems like this engine is 103hp (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Xpander), If I remember correct 4A91 engines which came in Lancers had 109hp)

Edited by Hyaenidae

10 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

How much is it, brand new from the agent?

I thought Mitsubishi discontinued the 4A91 engine and replaced it with the 4A92. Guess I was wrong.

Looking at the spec sheet on UNIMO website it looks like a 7 seater Lancer EX w/o the rear multilink suspension. Wonder if the 109hp engine would be enough with 7 people + cargo.

(Edit: it seems like this engine is 103hp (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Xpander), If I remember correct 4A91 engines which came in Lancers had 109hp)

That crossed my mind as well. Being its not a Hybrid, wonder how well the car would perform both acceleration wise and fuel economy wise. 

My friend said its 8.2 mil (if i remember correctly) at Unit#d Mot#rs.

45 minutes ago, trinity said:

That crossed my mind as well. Being its not a Hybrid, wonder how well the car would perform both acceleration wise and fuel economy wise. 

My friend said its 8.2 mil (if i remember correctly) at Unit#d Mot#rs.

The Lancer which comes with the 4A91 engine weigh 1750kg (gross weight) and according to this the Xpander weighs 1780kg. (IDK how they calculate the gross weight. Couldn't find the curb weight of the Xpander, curb weight of the Lancer is 1240kg) Lancer does around  12 under mixed conditions, I don't think the xpander would do any better (Edit: Unless it has fuel saving tech like idle stop start)

Edited by Hyaenidae

Saw it at the Vietnam Motorshow last year....uhh...wasn't very impressed.

It was sold as the revival model for the Adventurer over here...which was a budget MPV. Well..the Xpander felt very "budgetty" too. The door panels were thin and plasticy...so was the dashboard. The top part of it was wrapped in fake leather and it had some weird padding underneath which didn't make it hard nor plush....to be honest it looked like someone pasted a velour/suede/rubber hybrid dashboard cover on top of a perfectly fine plastic dashboard. I recollect the seats being quite good because it oddly felt out of place (I suppose i expected the seats to be a bit budget oriented as well ?). In fact the new Pajero Sport's interior feels heavenly compared to the Xpander.

Rear had surprisingly decent legroom. Although the middle row seats were pulled to the middle both the middle and 3rd row seats had decent legroom for me (thus any average Asian). I distinctly remember NOT having to roll in and out of the rear seat because of the wheel well-door-rear seat gap as i usually have to do in these kinds of SUVs/MPV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hyaenidae said:

The Lancer which comes with the 4A91 engine weigh 1750kg (gross weight) and according to this the Xpander weighs 1780kg. (IDK how they calculate the gross weight. Couldn't find the curb weight of the Xpander, curb weight of the Lancer is 1240kg) Lancer does around  12 under mixed conditions, I don't think the xpander would do any better (Edit: Unless it has fuel saving tech like idle stop start)

Thanks Hyaenidae for the details. Company claims that it would do around 9-11 kmpl in the city. Any how fuel consumption is not a key factor in deciding the purchase its rather how it would perform with a load. 

He said that he need to make a decision today as UM offers that price for todays orders only.

10 minutes ago, iRage said:

Saw it at the Vietnam Motorshow last year....uhh...wasn't very impressed.

It was sold as the revival model for the Adventurer over here...which was a budget MPV. Well..the Xpander felt very "budgetty" too. The door panels were thin and plasticy...so was the dashboard. The top part of it was wrapped in fake leather and it had some weird padding underneath which didn't make it hard nor plush....to be honest it looked like someone pasted a velour/suede/rubber hybrid dashboard cover on top of a perfectly fine plastic dashboard. I recollect the seats being quite good because it oddly felt out of place (I suppose i expected the seats to be a bit budget oriented as well ?). In fact the new Pajero Sport's interior feels heavenly compared to the Xpander.

Rear had surprisingly decent legroom. Although the middle row seats were pulled to the middle both the middle and 3rd row seats had decent legroom for me (thus any average Asian). I distinctly remember NOT having to roll in and out of the rear seat because of the wheel well-door-rear seat gap as i usually have to do in these kinds of SUVs/MPV.

Thanks iRage, I'll share this with my friend. Its great to get a feedback from someone who actually seen and felt the vehicle for real. My friend too said that the leg room of the vehicle is best he saw among most others MPVs he checked. Also the ground clearance is not bad compared to others.  He is switching from a Premio to this. He has 3 kids and his idea to keep this for family use and to go for a second hand sedan as a daily runner. 

10 minutes ago, trinity said:

how it would perform with a load. 

If it performs like the 4A91 Lancer does he won't have any complaints, not sure how the body type would affect the performance though. Gross weight advertised by Mitsubishi is almost similar between the 2 vehicles. 

Does the agent offer TDs? 

1 hour ago, Hyaenidae said:

If it performs like the 4A91 Lancer does he won't have any complaints, not sure how the body type would affect the performance though. Gross weight advertised by Mitsubishi is almost similar between the 2 vehicles. 

Does the agent offer TDs? 

Sorry Didn't catch what you are meaning??

22 minutes ago, trinity said:

Sorry Didn't catch what you are meaning??

16 minutes ago, iRage said:

Does the agent offer a Turbo Diesel variant.

No no not Turbo Diesel, I meant "Test Drive."

Too much lurking on that Indian automotive site TBHP. They use the term "TD" all the time Sign%20stupid.gif

See?

Edited by Hyaenidae

Update..

Considering the feedback received and his own evaluation, my friend has dropped the idea of going for this vehicle.

His main concerns were,

1.Engine capacity and overall driving experience.

2.The build quality, especially the overall quality of interior.  

3.The negative feedback about the Agent.

I too believe he dodged a bullet on this one. 

Thank you all for your valuable feedback guys.. Really appreciate it. 

Cheers!

• 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...