• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tyre switch to different size

Ashaar Mohamed

Hi Experts,

While I am traveling today one of my Tyre got damaged. Due to unavailability of same size, the Tyre shop has replaced 2 reconditioned Tyre with different size.

Original - 225/55/17

Replaced - 245/45/17

Anyway, I am planning to replace all my Tyres to brand-new in few months time. So, could you please advice me, can I run with this Tyre until I replace to brand-new or should I immediately change to original size. 

Vehicle - Mazda 6 (2014)

Thanks in Advance!

Edited by Ashaar Mohamed

"Recondition" word used in SL a lot for used stuff and giving a misleading meaning to it, tell me how do you recondition a tyre? bit of a tyre shine or retread?? 

You can use 2 different tyre size but the same axel should be with the same size but not recommended if the car is an all-wheel drive.

Use the link below to check the difference.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

regards,

JC

• Like 1

Reconditioned means refurbishing and fixing things that need to be fixed. Cars can be reconditioned, rims can be reconditioned....tyres CANNOT be reconditioned....well you can..but you do not want a reconditioned tyre. Reconditioning tyres would mean grooving out worn out threads...fixing patches...filling up any wall cracks....i.e. you cannot recondition them (unless one's definition of reconditioned is giving it a wash and putting some tire polish on it). So they are USED tyres. Don't let anyone charge you extra claiming they are reconditioned. Personally I would not buy used tyres in Sri Lanka. You never know how long they have been lying there on racks or how they were stored and what they came off of in what condition. In Japan I would be a little bit more open to it...

You can use different sized tyres although it is not recommended for long periods of time. An equal ride height balance on all four wheels is required. Without it...your suspension is going to lose its telemetry....when the telemetry is lost..then things start to get effected negatively....tyre wear will be uneven, shocks and bushes start getting stressed at different angles, etc...leading to premature wear and tear. So using different sized tyres on any car for long periods of time is not recommended UNLESS the overall rolling radius of the wheels are the same. If the different sized wheels are on the same side (back or front...not left or right) things are a little better.

On AWD vehicles it is especially bad because the systems use the tyre's "roll" to figure out if a tyre is losing grip or not. A smaller tyre would roll a lot more than a larger tyre within an X distance..so the system can get confused and engage the AWD system unnecessarily. SO in AWD vehicles all wheels; front, back, left and right, need to be equal.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, john cooper said:

"Recondition" word used in SL a lot for used stuff and giving a misleading meaning to it, tell me how do you recondition a tyre? bit of a tyre shine or retread?? 

You can use 2 different tyre size but the same axel should be with the same size but not recommended if the car is an all-wheel drive.

Use the link below to check the difference.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

regards,

JC

Sorry it is my mistake, yes it is used one with good condition.

Thanks JC. When compare both sizes it says "Speedometer Error", looks like I need to go for original size. Thanks for your advise.

There is approximately 1/2 inch difference in the profile of you new tire. This will lower the ride height by 1/2 inch and also gearing and speedo by 4-5%.

Your rims may not be wide enough to accommodate the extra width and might have uneven ware long term. 

New ones with 45 profile will be significantly expensive than the original size.

My recommendation is to stick to original or change the tires and rims with bigger size OEM or at least with the same diameter / circumference.

Bridgestone  has 3-4 types on your size price starting around Rs. 30K, so does Dunlop

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iRage said:

Reconditioned means refurbishing and fixing things that need to be fixed. Cars can be reconditioned, rims can be reconditioned....tyres CANNOT be reconditioned....well you can..but you do not want a reconditioned tyre. Reconditioning tyres would mean grooving out worn out threads...fixing patches...filling up any wall cracks....i.e. you cannot recondition them (unless one's definition of reconditioned is giving it a wash and putting some tire polish on it). So they are USED tyres. Don't let anyone charge you extra claiming they are reconditioned. Personally I would not buy used tyres in Sri Lanka. You never know how long they have been lying there on racks or how they were stored and what they came off of in what condition. In Japan I would be a little bit more open to it...

You can use different sized tyres although it is not recommended for long periods of time. An equal ride height balance on all four wheels is required. Without it...your suspension is going to lose its telemetry....when the telemetry is lost..then things start to get effected negatively....tyre wear will be uneven, shocks and bushes start getting stressed at different angles, etc...leading to premature wear and tear. So using different sized tyres on any car for long periods of time is not recommended UNLESS the overall rolling radius of the wheels are the same. If the different sized wheels are on the same side (back or front...not left or right) things are a little better.

On AWD vehicles it is especially bad because the systems use the tyre's "roll" to figure out if a tyre is losing grip or not. A smaller tyre would roll a lot more than a larger tyre within an X distance..so the system can get confused and engage the AWD system unnecessarily. SO in AWD vehicles all wheels; front, back, left and right, need to be equal.

Thanks for your detail explanation iRangs. Sorry, it is my mistake, yes it is used one with good condition.

I am planning to go for Brand-new Tyres imediatly. 
If possible, can you please recomend any good Tyres.

3 minutes ago, kush said:

There is approximately 1/2 inch difference in the profile of you new tire. This will lower the ride height by 1/2 inch and also gearing and speedo by 4-5%.

Your rims may not be wide enough to accommodate the extra width and might have uneven ware long term. 

New ones with 45 profile will be significantly expensive than the original size.

My recommendation is to stick to original or change the tires and rims with bigger size OEM or at least with the same diameter / circumference.

Bridgestone  has 3-4 types on your size price starting around Rs. 30K, so does Dunlop

Thanks for your Advice Kush, really appreciate.

I do not live in SL for the most part and have not replaced tires in a long long time....the last time I had to replace them was in 2014 in my Mark X and the only option I had was NANKOOKs because they were the only ones who had the size I needed. 

I believe there are some threads where members have discussed and given their experiences with different types of tyre brands...

1 hour ago, iRage said:

I do not live in SL for the most part and have not replaced tires in a long long time....the last time I had to replace them was in 2014 in my Mark X and the only option I had was NANKOOKs because they were the only ones who had the size I needed. 

I believe there are some threads where members have discussed and given their experiences with different types of tyre brands...

Thanks bro, I never changed Tyres in my past 12+ years of driving experience. The expertise which you all have shared will certainly help me to identify a better option.

2 hours ago, iRage said:

At least you were lucky to have at least one option.

I cant match my fronts and rears with the same brand/ type as they are not freely available (different width and profile).

Will have to specially order and get them down. Thank goodness they have few years of meat left in them.

9 hours ago, Ashaar Mohamed said:

Thanks bro, I never changed Tyres in my past 12+ years of driving experience. The expertise which you all have shared will certainly help me to identify a better option.

I mean no offense and am just curious but how is it possible that you've never changed tires in over a decade of car ownership??

Tire rubber usually has an effective life of 5 years so check the age of your tire

There should be a 4 digit number imprinted on the sidewall of the tire - Ex: 4218

The first 2 digits are the week of manufacture and the last 2 the year 2018

Very often local vendors get used tires and "cut" the grooves on the tires to give the illusion of tread depth which actually doesn't exist and proceed to sell the tires off to unsuspecting buyers looking for a used tire bargain.

Very common with larger tire sizes given how steep brand new tires are

Stick to the big name brand tires with softer compounds (which you can make a calculated guess about by evaluating the tread wear rating - lower the figure the quicker they will wear out but it's likely to be somewhat tackier and more supple) if you're after a comfy tire. 

If you do high mileage and are on a budget then it's a different story

7 hours ago, sathyajithj99 said:

https://tyrebass.lk

Check this link. There are tyres of your size

Good link

Also try GreaseMonkey to get an idea about prices - they seem to have discounts often coupled with credit card offers

Nothing like calling dealers directly (currently Commercial Bank has a discount on Pirelli at Toyota) or going to your regular neighborhood "tire kade" (Malay Street has good options) but check if the stock is new!

18 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

I mean no offense and am just curious but how is it possible that you've never changed tires in over a decade of car ownership??

Tire rubber usually has an effective life of 5 years so check the age of your tire

There should be a 4 digit number imprinted on the sidewall of the tire - Ex: 4218

The first 2 digits are the week of manufacture and the last 2 the year 2018

Very often local vendors get used tires and "cut" the grooves on the tires to give the illusion of tread depth which actually doesn't exist and proceed to sell the tires off to unsuspecting buyers looking for a used tire bargain.

Very common with larger tire sizes given how steep brand new tires are

Stick to the big name brand tires with softer compounds (which you can make a calculated guess about by evaluating the tread wear rating - lower the figure the quicker they will wear out but it's likely to be somewhat tackier and more supple) if you're after a comfy tire. 

If you do high mileage and are on a budget then it's a different story

Thanks for sharing details brother.

BTW, my previous vehicles I only droves few thousands KMs and there was no such requirements to change Tyres. Hopes it is clear :).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

Good link

Also try GreaseMonkey to get an idea about prices - they seem to have discounts often coupled with credit card offers

Nothing like calling dealers directly (currently Commercial Bank has a discount on Pirelli at Toyota) or going to your regular neighborhood "tire kade" (Malay Street has good options) but check if the stock is new!

100% agree.