• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Highway or my way?

Mazda6

Pardon me if this question has been asked already.
My commute from Colombo to my home town is approximately 225 kms in A grade roads and close to 325 kms if taking the highway.

The petrol consumption is similar. The highway stretch cuts out a lot of stress and we avoid the curves too (mostly). 

What I would like to know is is the wear and tear on the vehicle worth the comfort and hassle free ride of the highway stretch. 
Thanks

Where wear and tear can have many different dimensions to it. 

Constant slow down and accelerations can have more wear and tear on the engine than a constant cruising speed (I am not talking about redline type of driving...within the speedlimit..at constant upper mid rev range); as well as things like brake pads, rotors, etc... But then the additional mileage can effect the service life of consumables like filters, etc...Then there is also things like quality of the road that affects the suspension, etc... (sorry I have no idea what your A grade road is like). Then there is also the question of time....325km on the highway would on average cost

So wear and tear is going to be more or less the same if you think about it...and trying to differentiate the degree of wear and tear is probably not worth it. Because you are not going to make any grand savings on wear and tear.

How about time ? 325km on the highway would imply 3.5 hours of constant driving. But 225km on A grade roads can mean anything from 2.5hrs or 4-5 hours of driving (depending on who else is on the road).

Cars like a Mazda 6 in good condition would have no issue doing highway runs. Seen Axios and Premios do 400+ highway runs per day 3-4 times a week (in Japan as they are used as sales rep cars). 

• Thanks 1

In general highway driving is less stressful on suspension, brakes and transmission. And if you got a mazda6 it's a very comfy highway cruiser. Go on regular roads and you have stop start traffic that does stress you and the car out. Wear and tear would theoretically be more. 

Is it worth it? Well that depends a lot on the driver. I would always take the expressway over regular roads as its safer. Don't have to worry about tuks and busses. I can put the car into cruise control and be more relaxed. Signs of old age! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mazda6 said:

My commute from Colombo to my home town is approximately 225 kms in A grade roads and close to 325 kms if taking the highway.

The petrol consumption is similar. The highway stretch cuts out a lot of stress and we avoid the curves too (mostly). 

What I would like to know is is the wear and tear on the vehicle worth the comfort and hassle free ride of the highway stretch. 
Thanks

Well may be its just me, for me a car is a tool to be used and to make life easier than using public transport. And cars are meant to be driven, not pampered. (well a certain degree of love is needed to keep it in to notch)

But I don't think you should be worrying too much about regular wear and tear of usage. Anyways we dont have any option right, you'll have to use it anyways. And to take the normal route or highway, for me the deciding factor will be the traffic and the peace of mind avoiding moron busses, three wheelers and bikes. 

And you signed up for all the hefty maintenance bills that could come up down the line, when you purchase the car. :) So you gotta live with it.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GK_007 said:

Well may be its just me, for me a car is a tool to be used and to make life easier than using public transport. And cars are meant to be driven, not pampered. (well a certain degree of love is needed to keep it in to notch)

But I don't think you should be worrying too much about regular wear and tear of usage. Anyways we dont have any option right, you'll have to use it anyways. And to take the normal route or highway, for me the deciding factor will be the traffic and the peace of mind avoiding moron busses, three wheelers and bikes. 

And you signed up for all the hefty maintenance bills that could come up down the line, when you purchase the car. :) So you gotta live with it.  

and that is the thing isn't it...yes pamper the car..take care of it (maintenance, etc..) but..don't be freaked out about using it.

On 7/22/2020 at 1:41 PM, Mazda6 said:

Thanks

When I coming from Matara early morning,

Kaduwela exit to Office by normal root (if I exit from Kaduwela 6:30 am) - 15 km by normal root - 25 minutes 

Kaduwela to office via Outer circular + KEW - 30 km - 25+ min

I choose Outer circular expressway for the peace of the mind (hassle free as well as the quality of the road)