• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What's The Fastest You Have Gone?

isurujosh

Nice. Machan was it a manual or auto? and I think these have the audi engines yeah?

Auto, 5 Speed with T/T

Yep, The 1.8T engine was used by both VW and Audi (As well as SEAT and Skoda) in several levels of tune. This generation of Passat used the same platform as the first Audi A4, many parts are interchangeable.

Top Speed:130Km/h

Machine: 1996 toyota carina ti myroad (1500 cc)

Mods:None

Road:kurunegala kandy road

What prevented you from going further:my mom

Top Speed:181Km/h

Machine: 2010 Holden Epica 2.5L V6

Road: Aussie

What prevented you from going further: Fear of getting a helicopter chase and ending up on evening news

Top Speed:120Km/h (approx)

Machine: 1981 Austin Mini MkV

Mods:None but the car itself had a dished piston engine

Road: Ambatale-Kaduwela stretch

What prevented you from going further: FEAR

Top Speed:70 Kmph

Machine: All most all vehicles I've driven up to now

Road: Outside city limits, SL

What prevented you from going further: The fact that I happen to be "A Law Abiding Citizen"

[sarcasm] Oh wow, Cheers! "A Law Abiding Citizen" How nice, Good for you! [/sarcasm]

Edited by Supra_Natural

Top Speed: 150 km/h

Machine: 2002 Hyundai Tuscani (2.0l)

Mods: None

Road: Parliment stretch

What prevented you from going further: Oncoming traffic/poor visibilty

Which reminded me: :D

Top Speed: 145-150 km/h

Machine: 1993 Starlet GT

Mods: Probably None

Road: Parliment stretch

What prevented you from going further: Very late at night, my mate who was the owner/passenger shouting: "I don`t care about the car, just want to live, what ever you do, don`t slam on the brakes..!!"

Edited by MrCat

Top Speed:181Km/h

Machine: 2010 Holden Epica 2.5L V6

Road: Aussie

What prevented you from going further: Fear of getting a helicopter chase and ending up on evening news

Lolzz.. never do that on the highway/freeway mate. I`ve found a couple of roads in the middle of no where which i can use to break my own land speed records. :D

Top Speed = 155 km/hr

Machine = Civic FD 1 (1.8 Lt)

Mods = none

Road = CBK road at Malabe

Time = mid night

Could not go further due to a bend a head.

I'm sorry, but this just made me grin. 155 on CBK?

Tho I gotta warn you, night is not a good time for high speed there. You get buffalo on the road sometimes, and they are kinda hard to spot at night until you get close.

110 Kmph

independence square roundabout to end of colombo campus near barista

Night 11 PM

1979 Lancer A72 :jumping-smiley-013:

i was raising against a 121 :angry-smiley-048:

And you thought it was a good idea to race in front of the Cinnamon Gardens Police Station?

• Like 1

[sarcasm] Oh wow, Cheers! "A Law Abiding Citizen" How nice, Good for you! [/sarcasm]

well i hope your sarcasm will hold you up when either you or one of your reckless speeding buddies knock down an innocent father (breadwinner) with 3 children, who came out on to the road around 11 PM looking to get some panadol to his youngest child, who was crying through out the night with high fever. go and give your sarcasm to his wife and his (now support-less) children..

or when you knock down a pregnant mother who already has 2 other children, who came out on to the road in the dead of the night with intense labour pains, looking for a three-wheeler to take her to hospital. give your sarcasm to her (now)orphan children...

It's one thing speeding on highways and freeways with proper fences etc where pedestrians are not supposed to wonder into the roads (if they do, it;s their problem)..but 150+ on Galle Road or Kandy Road, in the night? those are single lane roads for the most part without street lights.. anyone can wonder onto the road and no one will have enough time to react..it's one thing going and knocking on a wall, lamp post etc and killing yourself..but you have no right to mess with other lives on the road..need to be a bit more responsible..,

Edited by pissa

well i hope your sarcasm will hold you up when either you or one of your reckless speeding buddies knock down an innocent father (breadwinner) with 3 children, who came out on to the road around 11 PM looking to get some panadol to his youngest child, who was crying through out the night with high fever. go and give your sarcasm to his wife and his (now support-less) children..

or when you knock down a pregnant mother who already has 2 other children, who came out on to the road in the dead of the night with intense labour pains, looking for a three-wheeler to take her to hospital. give your sarcasm to her (now)orphan children...

It's one thing speeding on highways and freeways with proper fences etc where pedestrians are not supposed to wonder into the roads (if they do, it;s their problem)..but 150+ on Galle Road or Kandy Road, in the night? those are single lane roads for the most part without street lights.. anyone can wonder onto the road and no one will have enough time to react..it's one thing going and knocking on a wall, lamp post etc and killing yourself..but you have no right to mess with other lives on the road..need to be a bit more responsible..,

Thank you for the advice. In return, I COULD advise you precisely what you ought to do with your self-righteous attitude, but I fear that would be a tad too explicit for a public forum such as this one. :)

He'll be just as dead if you hit him at your speed limit of 70. Or even the urban limit of 50. Or even worse, he'll have a long hospital stay running up further bills while the family doesn't have a bread winner.

If you really wanna be sure, forget sticking to speed limits for cars, and walk. Heck even that not a guarantee. I fell on a buddy while playing basketball and he broke the two bones of his forearm clean in two. What happens when you hypothetical father wandering around in the dark looking for Panadol runs into another guy who's running and falls and breaks his arm/leg/spine/skull?

It's one thing speeding on highways and freeways with proper fences etc where pedestrians are not supposed to wonder into the roads (if they do, it;s their problem)..but 150+ on Galle Road or Kandy Road, in the night? those are single lane roads for the most part without street lights.. anyone can wonder onto the road and no one will have enough time to react.

This is kinda interesting tho. So its their problem if they wander onto the highway, but not if they get off the pavements and onto the tarred road where the cars go on the Galle Road?

He'll be just as dead if you hit him at your speed limit of 70. Or even the urban limit of 50. Or even worse, he'll have a long hospital stay running up further bills while the family doesn't have a bread winner.

If you really wanna be sure, forget sticking to speed limits for cars, and walk. Heck even that not a guarantee. I fell on a buddy while playing basketball and he broke the two bones of his forearm clean in two. What happens when you hypothetical father wandering around in the dark looking for Panadol runs into another guy who's running and falls and breaks his arm/leg/spine/skull?

the point is you have more time to react when you are going slower.. i.e. you see a person 100m ahead, and you have a few more seconds to react when going at 70 as opposed to 150...it was never a question of hitting the poor guy...

This is kinda interesting tho. So its their problem if they wander onto the highway, but not if they get off the pavements and onto the tarred road where the cars go on the Galle Road?

there are no pavements on Galle road beyond Panadura (you find a few within the cities, but not outside). the roads are mostly boarded by the fences..all the more reason to be careful when driving fast on Sri Lankan roads..

Edited by pissa

Any pedestrian with half a brain should be careful when near a frequently used road, whether it be a single lane, or multiple lane road, especially at night. I encounter plenty of men and women and unattended children who 'wander' across the roads even when I'm driving along at a very sedate speeds. Yes, lots of people drive irresponsibly, but so do lots of people walking on the roads. Ever met drunkards floating all over the roads or jumping at your car? Or teenagers who run across the roads as you near them, just for kicks? Pedestrians need to be responsible too.

the point is you have more time to react when you are going slower.. i.e. you see a person 100m ahead, and you have a few more seconds to react when going at 70 as opposed to 150...it was never a question of hitting the poor guy...

If your reaction time is so slow its measured in seconds, you need to be off the road. But that aside.

This is highly dependent on multiple factors. I'll tell you this much, if we take your scenario of person wandering on the road 100m in front of me, I'd be a lot more confident of stopping in time/avoiding the chap and keeping control of the vehicle if I was doing 150 in the VZ-R, vs 70 in the J44 jeep. And this is considering the same driver, so assume same reflex speed and state of alertness. Simply put, its not a blanket situation of absolute speed. Stopping distance of the vehicle needs to be considered.

Not saying its safe to do 150 all the time. But your example isn't the best. There are better reasons not to drive fast than idiots who jumps on the main roads. My main concern is something going wrong with the car and taking me along as a passenger rather than a driver. Those things affect my survival, not brainless pedestrians. Things like a tire exploding at high speed. Cars DO tend to make noise when moving fast, you know. Peds need to know to keep to the side of the road. And preferably wear something highly visible, like something white, when wandering about at night.

there are no pavements on Galle road beyond Panadura (you find a few within the cities, but not outside). the roads are mostly boarded by the fences..all the more reason to be careful when driving fast on Sri Lankan roads..

People's front doors don't step directly onto the Galle Road either. There are laws saying your house needs to be n feet back from the road. Even on small lanes, not just the Galle Road. And quite frankly, from the pictures and vids we have seen of the highway, that "fence" is barely knee high. Its not gonna stop dogs/cats/cattle/elephants and definitely not people getting onto the highway. Unless its electrified.

Besides, your right, you need to be careful while driving fast. Anywhere.

I'm sorry, but this just made me grin. 155 on CBK?

Tho I gotta warn you, night is not a good time for high speed there. You get buffalo on the road sometimes, and they are kinda hard to spot at night until you get close.

And you thought it was a good idea to race in front of the Cinnamon Gardens Police Station?

they wouldn't have cought me....it was too quick :lol: anyway i was able to catchup with the 121, did not think of going fast was after a party and listening to some music when somewhere from horton place came this 121 whizzed passed me and the road being blank my right leg did not listen to me. :D:lol:

Top Speed: 110Kmph

Machine: 1983 Delica L300

Road: Anuradhapura Dambulla road

What prevented you from going further: Dad woke up....

Top Speed: 155Kmph+

Machine: 1998 Lancer CK2

Road: Trinco road

What prevented you from going further: bend...

There are better reasons not to drive fast than idiots who jumps on the main roads. My main concern is something going wrong with the car and taking me along as a passenger rather than a driver. Those things affect my survival, not brainless pedestrians. Things like a tire exploding at high speed. Cars DO tend to make noise when moving fast, you know. Peds need to know to keep to the side of the road. And preferably wear something highly visible, like something white, when wandering about at night.

Pedestrians are, for the most part, idiots. Many of them shouldn't even be on the roads - while 99% are able to avoid vehicles and use common sense, there's always that 1% who are drunk/stupid etc, also, the law is 99% on the side of a pedestrian. If one do have a collision with one, if the mob doesn't finish you, the law probably will :(

That said, yeah I agree with you - if one does hit a pedestrian, even at 10km/h they will be pretty much screwed. The only difference (I guess) is that going faster one would have less reaction time / less ability to avert the crash.

Edited by Saturn

I'm not sure if you are trolling but I'll bite -

If some pedestrian wanders into the way of traffic, they can't blame a vehicle for hitting them.

As for highways, that's not the issue here. Galle Road is (by our crummy standards) a highway. It's full of intercity traffic, not a private bylane or something.

Anyway, this thread is about the fastest speed you (drove?) I guess, so its for people to post their speeds, not pass judgement on others.

Edited by Saturn

Just wanted to share this video with you guys. I'm by no means implying that any of you are like the 19 year old in the video, but the consequence of his actions (and his speed) really hit the point home to me.

Edited by esdeez