• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Premio 240 2003 car radiator flush and add coolant instead of water

Husny

I have a premio 240, 2003 model car. Previous owner has used water instead of coolant and water contains rust(mud color), i can see by removing the cap on the radiator. So if i clean it and replace wth coolant, should I add sealant additive or something? Because i heard that if i replace suddenly with coolant, it can leak right? My car coolant capacity is 4 litres, how much coolant? And how much distilled water and how much sealant additive i should add? Please guide, and what brands i should use?

Note: My car temperature is at it's ideal, exactly in the center of the indicator. Should i really remove water and use coolant?

Seeking expert advices

Your car still has it's t valve by your description.

Temporarily remove oit and add a cooking system flush and run the engine to clean the cooling system before

refilling the rad with coolant after refitting the t valve.

Note : recommend replacing the t valve with a genuine unit looking at the age/mileage of the car.

TT.

Edited by Twin Turbo

Well...to be fair...it is not the coolant that causes the radiator to leak..it is the use of water. The water could have rusted out and thinned out the surface of the radiator. When you put a radiator flush or even a proper coolant, all the rust and grime that was keeping the radiator walls clogged up gets removed..thus the leaks.

You should flush the radiator/cooling system first. Then use a proper coolant. Typically the mix ratio is half water half coolant; but it depends on the type of coolant as well. You will find the best mix ratio on the bottle/canister.

10 hours ago, Husny said:

Hi brother. What's the t valve? I'm not sure what are you referring to. Can you describe it? Where i can find it in the car? What's the purpose of it? Any images or video links please?

Note: I have just a medium knowledge of cars

Thermostat valve.

11 hours ago, iRage said:

Well...to be fair...it is not the coolant that causes the radiator to leak..it is the use of water. The water could have rusted out and thinned out the surface of the radiator. When you put a radiator flush or even a proper coolant, all the rust and grime that was keeping the radiator walls clogged up gets removed..thus the leaks.

You should flush the radiator/cooling system first. Then use a proper coolant. Typically the mix ratio is half water half coolant; but it depends on the type of coolant as well. You will find the best mix ratio on the bottle/canister.

Understood. Please tell me the name of the coolant flush liquid. How do i flush it? Steps ?

Guys,

Since there is rust, would it not be advisable to do a complete radiator clean up as well.  I mean removing it and going through the the inside channels with a steel strip to breakup any rust particles stuck. At the same time do a check up on the water pump as the blades could be decaying .

The Nissan had a issue with the temp showing normal, however AC kept paying up and occasionally temp hits the high value.  Was advised to clean the radiator and remove the Thermostat value  and later found out that the water pump had no fins in it as it has corroded and stuck in the radiator.

As it's an 2002 model might as well get the whole system checked at once , which will save you time and money + not have a case of getting stranded with a busted radiator

1 hour ago, mazdaspeed said:

Guys,

Since there is rust, would it not be advisable to do a complete radiator clean up as well.  I mean removing it and going through the the inside channels with a steel strip to breakup any rust particles stuck. At the same time do a check up on the water pump as the blades could be decaying .

The Nissan had a issue with the temp showing normal, however AC kept paying up and occasionally temp hits the high value.  Was advised to clean the radiator and remove the Thermostat value  and later found out that the water pump had no fins in it as it has corroded and stuck in the radiator.

As it's an 2002 model might as well get the whole system checked at once , which will save you time and money + not have a case of getting stranded with a busted radiator

That's a good advice brother. But i have a doubt. 

1. If the water pump is bad and didn't pump water to the engine pathways, how did the temperature showed normal?

2.I want to know if the thermostat valve is inside the engine or just at the end of the radiator pipe (if so it should be a bad design i guess). 

3. And to make it clear for me, you want me to clean the radiator by removing it. And check the water pump as well right? Should i replace the thermostat valve?

4. Also if the thermostat valve is bad, how will my dashblard indicator rise to the exactly half in about 10 mins and stay right there afterwards. I feel the thermo indicator is really good. 

Correct me if I'm wrong? 

The particular problem occurred in a Nissan N 16  -

1. My general commute involves about 30-40 Km a day on start stop scenarios hence  you never see the temp reach even the 1/2 level.  It's only when I hit a stand still traffic  jam did the system start to show issues.... but as soon as it cleared ... and I was driving ..... all back to normal.... . the fluid in the radiator reservoir had dropped slightly but I guess I just passed it as a "not a major issue" till I did the long drive .

2. The thermostat is at the end of the pipe going in to the engine.  Having spoken to 2 radiator Jonies  - both say to remove it as it has no impact on our country unless you are living in N'Eliya - but I beg to differ ... Thanks for reminding this as I had planned to put it back but had slipped my mind - so hopefully once curfew is lifted an the mechanic has his boys in, will put it back on. There is a reason what they include a thermostat and removing it is not  the best thing are my thoughts and advice  

3. If you have rust , it would be good to get it cleaned, after all you don't know what the previous owner has done. first would be to get the water pump checks by removing it. -  If all is in order no issues  - the blades would eventually corrode / pack up as I faced a issue in my   in my previous  car and I never used water in her. Over time the pump does fail and manufactures recommend changing it at given intervals.

4. The thermo on your car seems to be OK,  So was mine as I had replaced it about a year back and it was  from the agents hence did not doubt that.  In my case the temperature indicator dropped down as soon as the traffic cleared and I was driving - which may indicate that the moving somewhat controlled the heat level. 

The thermo also can be check and ideally should be replaced periodically . You will find enough info on the net on how to check if it's working.

Anyway maybe other members too could shed some light - If there is no record from the previous owner, best would be to do a complete check up . Always use coolant and not water as it helps prolong the life of the radiator as well.