• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Start stop malfunction Audi Q2

Tharaka Dias

Question

19 answers to this question

Start stop not suitable for SL traffic, could have disabled it. I suggest you first check the sensors needed for start stop function.(bonnet close switch, pedal position sensor, door close switch, wheel speed sensor etc). However it could be that your starter motor has already reached the lifetime in harsher SL traffic.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tharaka Dias said:

Today when I start my vehicle I got the warning 'Start Stop Malfunction, Please Contact Service'. My car is done only 24000kms and two years old. Is it a battery problem? Searched google and found lot of Audi cars got the same problem. Please give me some advice about this.

IMG_7842.JPG

Check the condition of the 12V battery from a battery workshop first. Since your vehicle is 2 years old and spent 24,000km in Sri Lankan roads, it might have weakened due to the traffic conditions. If it has you will have to replace the 12V battery with a compatible one if not this function will remain disabled.

However, if the battery is okay then you might have different issues like mentioned above.. When using the start/stop feature be mindful on how you use it. Disabling it would help increase the longevity of the battery and some other related components.

However, its ok to use it when you are at a traffic light if you will not be inching forward..

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ajm said:

Start stop not suitable for SL traffic, could have disabled it. I suggest you first check the sensors needed for start stop function.(bonnet close switch, pedal position sensor, door close switch, wheel speed sensor etc). However it could be that your starter motor has already reached the lifetime in harsher SL traffic.

What, in just 24k Kms? 🙄

On 12/16/2020 at 5:20 AM, Ruslan said:

What, in just 24k Kms? 🙄

Well the lifetime consumption of the starter motor has nothing to do with the odometer. It's manufactured to survive only a limited number of start operations. If the car is used mostly on stop and go traffic, lifetime can end soon.

1 hour ago, ajm said:

Well the lifetime consumption of the starter motor has nothing to do with the odometer. It's manufactured to survive only a limited number of start operations. If the car is used mostly on stop and go traffic, lifetime can end soon.

Isn't these starter motors (Start stop) suppose to be more robust than motors in everyday cheap econoboxes, one of the office buddy had a Vitz with smartstop equipped not sure it has the same functionality like Audi, but that thing has done more than 24k for sure when he sold it (No issues whatsoever) and that was his daily drive. must be pure luck perhaps.

Edited by Ruslan

33 minutes ago, Ruslan said:

Isn't these starter motors (Start stop) suppose to be more robust than motors in everyday cheap econoboxes, one of the office buddy had a Vitz with smartstop equipped not sure it has the same functionality like Audi, but that thing has done more than 24k for sure when he sold it (No issues whatsoever) and that was his daily drive. must be pure luck perhaps.

Starter motors of vehicles equipped with auto idle stop systems are built to meet the demands of harsher stop and go traffic conditions be it an econobox or a luxury vehicle.

But, having said that every component will have a life time. While 24,000 km seems too early for a starter motor of such a vehicle to give in, the traffic conditions and the start stop cycles each vehicle would undergo in a particular mileage may not necessarily be the same.. So the life time might vary due to that. Most probably the 12V battery would have weakened (even some 1000cc Civics needed 12V battery replacement at similar timelines) and the starter motor should be fine of the OPs car. Hope @Tharaka Dias will update this thread on the cause of his issue and what he did to resolve it..

Edited by Dee Jay

2 hours ago, Ruslan said:

Yes they are, but based on the expected operating profile of the vehicle( no more German overengineering). So if it's a grey import Audi from UK market, it might run into problems prematurely when used in a harsher environment/profile. This also applies to 12V battery and the other high power components. Only a scan will reveal the exact issue, sensors battery or motor.

• Like 1

Thanks all experts. I went to V###a Motors as they are my regular service partner and told them the issue. They are familiar with the issue. It is a malfunction of the throttle. They replaced it and now the car seems to be ok. They showed me the open/off shutter like thing was struck and it disturb the air flow to engine.

20201216_091428.jpg

• Like 4

On 12/18/2020 at 7:21 AM, Tharaka Dias said:

Thanks all experts. I went to V###a Motors as they are my regular service partner and told them the issue. They are familiar with the issue. It is a malfunction of the throttle. They replaced it and now the car seems to be ok. They showed me the open/off shutter like thing was struck and it disturb the air flow to engine.

20201216_091428.jpg

Seems like the Entire Throttle body was at faulty. no wonder it costs 50K. for an Audi i would say this cost is reasonable (Given it's Brand New). @Tharaka Dias is it the same Part number replaced or a Revised part which has fixed the defect?

14 hours ago, Tharaka Dias said:

is not a brand new

Oh, 50k for a used part?

Was the old one clogged with soot or just stuck?

Maybe if it's mechanically stuck, it might be the spring inside and possible to repair.

What fuel did you use regular or super?

Edited by ajm