Jump to content
  • Welcome to AutoLanka

    :action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

  • 0

Looking for a first car (not a fan of cramp fuel eco)


Question

Hi guys i am fan of autolanka since the day i dreamt about buying a car, I just admire the posts and gather info little by little from you guys. Fortunately now i am able to buy one for my own and looking towards the experts guidance. Following are my requirements 

* should be spacious, no crampy vehicle im huge

*marks accords bluebirds are my favourite types

* sedan mpv or Station wagon 

* decent fuel economy in outstation 10-15 ok, (i never plan to visit colombo😁

* budget 2m to 3m

* not planning for a reselling, hence doesn't give a shit about resale value

* should be able to repair in anuradhapura or above(i work in Mullaithivu) 

* loved a gx110 in 2.5 mil price tag but its gone now, similar vehicles with decent parts availability is highly appreciated 

* I love to drive cars but never driven other people's vehicle because I'm too shy to ask

* will take good care of the vehicle according to an expert advice( no previous experience) 

* i like to save the money by buying an undervalued luxury car and spend it in fuel 

* 4 people should travel comfortably with two German shepherds

Please be kind to me and give your opinion 

Edited by Divaagar P
Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 1

Welcome to the forum  and the AL community !

Well...like you yourself have noticed, prices of the cars you have mentioned have gone completely out of your budget. Instead of a X110 Mark/Chaser/Cresta...you might be able to pull off a X100 and definitely a X90. Sadly most would be in poor condition as well.

One thing to note is...if you plan to carry 4 adults and 2 german shepards at the same time....sedans are out. In a sedan it wold be just you and one passenger if you plan on carrying the dogs with you. This limits your choices to a MPV, Crossover or station wagon. 

MPVs are a bit of a drag to drive...so lets focus on the fun wagons/crossovers first...

Out of what I can think of the top of my head...a Forester would be your best bet. A late 90s, early 2000s 1st gen Forester (SF series) is advertised on the usual FB groups for 2mil...so I am guessing whilst SFs run for around this range..SG series (2nd gen) would run at the upper end of your budget.

Sadly we do not have cars like a Stagea, Crown, etc... (other than hearses). The Avensir and the Wingroad could be good options...I am a bit biased towards the Avensir. Again..well spec'd versions are hard to come by. So that just leaves the Corolla (the famous or infamous..Elephant's rear end one). I am referring to the actual wagon variants (L and G Touring..not the DX, GL, L or L Extra) from around 2000. The diesel has oodles of torque that tickles one's bone in a very flat dieslish sort of way...and the petrol variant is decent (in a no non sense..work horse sort of way)...a bit detached to drive but easily sorted out with some decent wheels and strut bars. However, 99% of these cars are abused to the bone. So I would just stay away. Another rare option would be E120 Series Corolla Fielders, especially if you can find a manual variant (Z TOurings with the 6MT and 1.8L engine are unheard of in SL..but you never know.

There are SOME crossovers you might want to look in to...

A 1st gen RAV4 with a 3S-GE engine or Vitara for certain would fit your budget but good ones are hard to come by. 

A bit hard to find but a 1st gen turbo charged X-Trail is also a nice car (standard one is okay but feels and acts very slow).

 

Edited by iRage
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1

I too like you are searching for 110s and have visited some of if not most of the X110s up for sale in the online classifieds, The now run on the 2.5-3 scale with some cars hitting more than that as well. I stopped looking at the 110s in the classifieds completely because all of them are shady af. Buying and selling fellows, there's some nice X100s and X90s out there. 

Also these cars are big don't get me wrong but they won't take 4 adults and German Shepherds big. (Well you can if the people on the rear cuddle them :) ) I agree with the iRage on the Elephant Back Corolla Wagon, have plenty of fun childhood memories of them. Diesel one felt so fast when my dad used to overtake someone (oodles of Torque he mentioned) and they are lower than your budget. Sometimes some L-Touring cars pop up so watch out for them as well, I'd recommend the Diesel + Manual combo

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Thank you for  your kind replies irage and malecortana. According to both of you it is not a brilliant move to look for a sedan. O have seen 2 or 3 airwaves around the pricetag in 2008ish series. Definitely it is a family mpv. And relatively newer than most vehicles in that price range. Is there any defect to be concerned about that vehicle. Please give your kind opinions 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
6 hours ago, MaleCortana said:

I too like you are searching for 110s and have visited some of if not most of the X110s up for sale in the online classifieds, The now run on the 2.5-3 scale with some cars hitting more than that as well. I stopped looking at the 110s in the classifieds completely because all of them are shady af. Buying and selling fellows, there's some nice X100s and X90s out there. 

Also these cars are big don't get me wrong but they won't take 4 adults and German Shepherds big. (Well you can if the people on the rear cuddle them :) ) I agree with the iRage on the Elephant Back Corolla Wagon, have plenty of fun childhood memories of them. Diesel one felt so fast when my dad used to overtake someone (oodles of Torque he mentioned) and they are lower than your budget. Sometimes some L-Touring cars pop up so watch out for them as well, I'd recommend the Diesel + Manual combo

Thank  you for the enthusiastic reply. My father had an Oxford beef which is most common in nothern culture but he wasn't in a position to afford to feed the hungry mouth. So he sold it. these were my early childhood memories. Like when i am 5 years old. There after we have never seen a car for 3 decades. Now its my turn. For being honest with you guys my father wished to buy a car from my earnings but God had different ideas. He is no longer with me but i wish to dedicate a vehicle for him. Therefore once  i buy one i will never sell it again. Thats why i am looking for vehicle for eternity. Now i use his two motorbikes which are reasonably old but i will never sell them. Because he drove us to school in those bikes. I dunno whether i am being a sentimental a**le but this is me guys. Please tolerate my father sentiment and suggest a vehicle. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
6 hours ago, MaleCortana said:

I too like you are searching for 110s and have visited some of if not most of the X110s up for sale in the online classifieds, The now run on the 2.5-3 scale with some cars hitting more than that as well. I stopped looking at the 110s in the classifieds completely because all of them are shady af. Buying and selling fellows, there's some nice X100s and X90s out there. 

Also these cars are big don't get me wrong but they won't take 4 adults and German Shepherds big. (Well you can if the people on the rear cuddle them :) ) I agree with the iRage on the Elephant Back Corolla Wagon, have plenty of fun childhood memories of them. Diesel one felt so fast when my dad used to overtake someone (oodles of Torque he mentioned) and they are lower than your budget. Sometimes some L-Touring cars pop up so watch out for them as well, I'd recommend the Diesel + Manual combo

We will definitely cuddle them in the  rear. If it is possible i will let my boy to steer the vehicle. 😇

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 hours ago, Divaagar P said:

Thank you for  your kind replies irage and malecortana. According to both of you it is not a brilliant move to look for a sedan. O have seen 2 or 3 airwaves around the pricetag in 2008ish series. Definitely it is a family mpv. And relatively newer than most vehicles in that price range. Is there any defect to be concerned about that vehicle. Please give your kind opinions 

 

Are you looking at a Hybrid or a gasoline variant ? I am guesing a Hybrid since that is what most imported to SL. The Airwave is pretty much a Fit underneath.Same components, same platform...however it is a bit cramped and narrow compared to the others we have mentioned.

Also...if you are looking at a Hybrid, you need to take in to consideration the Hybrid system's degradation over time...so Hybrids are going to take a bit more work to take care of forever.

Now...a quick browse through he adverts show that the Airwaves on average are slightly above 3mil (the ones towards the end are the older ones). Becareful when you buy an Airwave..most of them were brought and used as airport and torousit taxis. So almost all of them are going to have high mileages no matter what it says on the meter. This would add to the work you need to do on the Hybrid and drive train systems

 

Nothing wrong in being sentimental over cars and the memories behind them. All petrolheads are like that....we have more emotional baggage behind our cars and its memories than a bus load full of desperate housewives from Kansas City.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Talking about Station Wagons, why not one of those Primera Station Wagons, I know that they are quite rare. Or also you could check out the Caldina with the 3C Turbo.

Well as you say you dont mind the fuel bill maybe one of those Kia Carnivals or the Trajet (not good lookers but good people movers) also fit into that bill. But I'm more inclined towards the Japanese having driven the Primera and the Carina 3C Turbo (sedan versions)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
7 hours ago, iRage said:

Are you looking at a Hybrid or a gasoline variant ? I am guesing a Hybrid since that is what most imported to SL. The Airwave is pretty much a Fit underneath.Same components, same platform...however it is a bit cramped and narrow compared to the others we have mentioned.

Also...if you are looking at a Hybrid, you need to take in to consideration the Hybrid system's degradation over time...so Hybrids are going to take a bit more work to take care of forever.

Now...a quick browse through he adverts show that the Airwaves on average are slightly above 3mil (the ones towards the end are the older ones). Becareful when you buy an Airwave..most of them were brought and used as airport and torousit taxis. So almost all of them are going to have high mileages no matter what it says on the meter. This would add to the work you need to do on the Hybrid and drive train systems

 

Nothing wrong in being sentimental over cars and the memories behind them. All petrolheads are like that....we have more emotional baggage behind our cars and its memories than a bus load full of desperate housewives from Kansas City.

Thank you for comment on airwave i am not a fan of hybrid systems and when i hear the word crampy i will definitely stay away. Thank you for the emotional support on sentiments. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 hours ago, Gummybr said:

Talking about Station Wagons, why not one of those Primera Station Wagons, I know that they are quite rare. Or also you could check out the Caldina with the 3C Turbo.

Well as you say you dont mind the fuel bill maybe one of those Kia Carnivals or the Trajet (not good lookers but good people movers) also fit into that bill. But I'm more inclined towards the Japanese having driven the Primera and the Carina 3C Turbo (sedan versions)

Thank you for the suggestion i love the shape of caldina if there is one in good condition i would definitely go for it. If you find an interesting one for sale please suggest it to me. Do i need to worry that caldina is a bit old and will it wear off in my first years of usage? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 hours ago, Gummybr said:

Talking about Station Wagons, why not one of those Primera Station Wagons, I know that they are quite rare. Or also you could check out the Caldina with the 3C Turbo.

Well as you say you dont mind the fuel bill maybe one of those Kia Carnivals or the Trajet (not good lookers but good people movers) also fit into that bill. But I'm more inclined towards the Japanese having driven the Primera and the Carina 3C Turbo (sedan versions)

Trajets and carnivals are definitely in my crossfire but seenany people complain about the interior quality of these korean builds is a bit disappointing. I will go for a solid old car rather  than a rubbish newer one.  Even dash numbers are also ok if it was well maintained. I buy my car for self satisfaction not for show, 65 - su14's are being advertised under 2m with 170k in clock if i get a strong suggestion i will go for it and use the rest of the money to gas it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

The main problem is due to  the pandemic we cannot wander and look for a good car unless risking quarantine. When i go to buy i will take a good driver and a mechanic withme to inspect the vehicle also i wish to get a certificate from a reputable automobile company that checks the entire vehicle. My question is are those certificates reliable when some dealers already have it with them when we go to see the vehicle? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Divaagar P said:

My question is are those certificates reliable when some dealers already have it with them when we go to see the vehicle? 

If you come aross something like a car checks report you can always call them up and ask for verification. You might need the owner's consent though. But also....be mindful of how old the inspection certificate is.  There are people who will show you auction sheets and JAAI stickers from when the car was imported 10+ years ago. They are absolutely and totally worthless.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, iRage said:

There are people who will show you auction sheets and JAAI stickers from when the car was imported 10+ years ago. They are absolutely and totally worthless.

Also they like printing them out as well :) so don't trust a certificate blindly. When you're calling up a person see how long he has had the car for. Avoid car sales and Buying and Selling Fellows (Personal Experience) as much as possible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
6 hours ago, MaleCortana said:

Also they like printing them out as well :) so don't trust a certificate blindly. When you're calling up a person see how long he has had the car for. Avoid car sales and Buying and Selling Fellows (Personal Experience) as much as possible. 

Thank you i am also preferring a car owner who loves the vehicle and took a good care of it, but those guys rarely sell their toys 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

How about either a Carina GT or a Cedric Y33?

Carina would be an ideal daily driver for you, heaps of parts, most mechanics would be able repair it without an issue. At the same time its heaps of fun, the 4AGE 20V will sing for days and there was a 6 forward option as well.

Cedric however is a gas guzzler and it's a big land yacht. Its suited for a relaxing drive and when done right it will definitely be a head turner.

There are some 170 series Crown in SL as well but i'm not sure about their price range, havent seen one for sale for a while.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, Magnum said:

How about either a Carina GT or a Cedric Y33?

Carina would be an ideal daily driver for you, heaps of parts, most mechanics would be able repair it without an issue. At the same time its heaps of fun, the 4AGE 20V will sing for days and there was a 6 forward option as well.

Cedric however is a gas guzzler and it's a big land yacht. Its suited for a relaxing drive and when done right it will definitely be a head turner.

There are some 170 series Crown in SL as well but i'm not sure about their price range, havent seen one for sale for a while.

Only hitch is....the guy wants to fit 4 adults and 2 large dogs.At the same time !!!

Also....a friend of mine was looking for a Carina GT for a few months....finally gave up as most of the once that are trading hands (in public) have gone through the hands of multipleboy ricers and have been completely ruined. Which is fine as one can always do a restoration...but the asking prices were way too steep (and this was before the hike)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
12 hours ago, Magnum said:

How about either a Carina GT or a Cedric Y33?

Carina would be an ideal daily driver for you, heaps of parts, most mechanics would be able repair it without an issue. At the same time its heaps of fun, the 4AGE 20V will sing for days and there was a 6 forward option as well.

Cedric however is a gas guzzler and it's a big land yacht. Its suited for a relaxing drive and when done right it will definitely be a head turner.

There are some 170 series Crown in SL as well but i'm not sure about their price range, havent seen one for sale for a while.

I really agree with Magnum. Y33 was the most comfortable car I have ever used. It does not matter how long  the journey when you are in it. But to mention ground clearance is quite low so that you hardly can go out of tarmac. The following was taken near Kotmale Area about 7 years back. Isn't she a beauty?

InkedInkedcedric_LI.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
12 hours ago, iRage said:

Only hitch is....the guy wants to fit 4 adults and 2 large dogs.At the same time !!!

Also....a friend of mine was looking for a Carina GT for a few months....finally gave up as most of the once that are trading hands (in public) have gone through the hands of multipleboy ricers and have been completely ruined. Which is fine as one can always do a restoration...but the asking prices were way too steep (and this was before the hike)

That makes it tough to find the ultimate car, because SL wasn't blessed with the fun variant of the JDM station wagons which could accomodate 4 adults and the 2 dogs. 

If the car is going to be packed only once in a while then the Carina might be a good choice

3 hours ago, wolseley said:

I really agree with Magnum. Y33 was the most comfortable car I have ever used. It does not matter how long  the journey when you are in it. But to mention ground clearance is quite low so that you hardly can go out of tarmac. The following was taken near Kotmale Area about 7 years back. Isn't she a beauty?

InkedInkedcedric_LI.jpg

In my opinion Y33 is the best looking in the Cedric line up. Thats a beauty of a car, which trim level was it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 minute ago, Magnum said:

That makes it tough to find the ultimate car, because SL wasn't blessed with the fun variant of the JDM station wagons which could accomodate 4 adults and the 2 dogs. 

Yeah...the fun factor is dead when it comes to station wagons...which is why i suggested a Forester.  As @Gummybr suggested...there are a few T210 Caldina wagons with 3S-FEs and seen one 1ZZ T240...apparently there are Premio wagons in SL as well and those are relatively fun. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
19 hours ago, Magnum said:

That makes it tough to find the ultimate car, because SL wasn't blessed with the fun variant of the JDM station wagons which could accomodate 4 adults and the 2 dogs. 

If the car is going to be packed only once in a while then the Carina might be a good choice

In my opinion Y33 is the best looking in the Cedric line up. Thats a beauty of a car, which trim level was it?

It was a brougham actually but the badge was 'Cedigham' imported by agent for a minister.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Thank you for the kind responses sorry i was a bit busy yesterday. Isn't carina a bit overpriced in srilanka it was like 2.5 mil for a 25 year old car. And everyone claims their one is a Ti Myroad so i am just avoiding overpriced ones like 210 and 110. I am asking you for comments on suzuki  grand vitara. Also please give your opinion on 4wd vehicles. People are skeptical about them. I understand the mechanisms are little complicated but is it that hard to maintain one? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
8 hours ago, Divaagar P said:

Thank you for the kind responses sorry i was a bit busy yesterday. Isn't carina a bit overpriced in srilanka it was like 2.5 mil for a 25 year old car. And everyone claims their one is a Ti Myroad so i am just avoiding overpriced ones like 210 and 110. I am asking you for comments on suzuki  grand vitara. Also please give your opinion on 4wd vehicles. People are skeptical about them. I understand the mechanisms are little complicated but is it that hard to maintain one? 

I’m Driving a Grand Vitara 2006 AWD a 3rd Gen Vitara. If your looking for a AWD / 4WD, make sure to check the maintenance history. If not sort out properly, it will be expensive on maintenance. Regarding GV, parts would be slightly issue as even Agent doesnt carry most of parts. I had to order some parts online from japan. GV came with engine options like 2ltr, 2.7 ltr V6 and from 2009 onwards 2.4 ltr VVT enabled engine and 3.2 V6. There are Escudos as well which is the same car meant for Japanese domestic market with more bells and whistles like Seat heating, sunroof, mirror heating etc. look for Drive train noises from front and rear diffs and leaks from oil seals. Car is bit on the heavy side compared with rest like Rav 4. But more capable since it has a proper transfer case with multiple 4wd options.

Edited by Ruslan
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
8 hours ago, Divaagar P said:

I am asking you for comments on suzuki  grand vitara. Also please give your opinion on 4wd vehicles. People are skeptical about them. I understand the mechanisms are little complicated but is it that hard to maintain one?

The very first post I suggested a FOrester (one of the more interesting and exciting ones to drive). Then there is the RAV4 (a more all-rounder), CR-V/Harrier (the more refined and comfy one), X-Trail (if  you find a 1st gen turbo one that will be so much fun...but other than that it is just another crossover). Then there is the Grand Vitara..a no frills old school work horse. Search the foru and you will find a lot of threads discussing these cars.

Most who are skeptical and say all those things about these "Jeeps" (because that is what they call anything that has 4WD and is a bit high...when these are crossovers); are the ones who have never owned or used one and are simply buying in to stories made up by maka baases who would say anything to people to keep fixing the same old cars they know of.

Have been having RAV4s and CRVs (personal and family vehicles) and X-Trails as long term loarners (office, friends) in many countries (most of which were worst than SL). Have not had any problems ever. but then these cars were properly mainained. Never had an issue with not being able to fix them. Never broken down on me in the middle of no where either.

AWD cars are not that complicated...engine, gearbox, extra set of differentials and a transfer case. Yes..they are electronically controlled but it is not ground breakingly diffrent or complicated than most moden cars. There are plenty of people who know how to fix them. Depending on the model, certain parts will not be easily found at every parts shop in the country and you will need to go to parts shops that specialise in the brand. As for mechanics...maka baases will not be able to fix it. These are the types who will rip out the AWD system and eternally screw up the car just because they do not know how to fix it and make up some BS story. These guys shold not be let anywhere near any car except a rusted out morris minor that is sitting on bricks. Good mechanics can fix them up.

If you buy an AWD, make sure it has a proper history. Get it checked out to make sure all the components work (there are many where people have mucked around with the AWD system). If the history is not there....then..well...as long as it is not a death trap and the price is low enough, think about whether you are willing to do a restoration of the areas you are uncertain about.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...