• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Life

Sylvi

On 25/01/2021 at 9:20 AM, MrCat said:

Hmmmm.. We are one of the few extremely lucky cities when it comes to Covid.. Fulltime working from home lasted only a month from mid March to mid June.. Things slowly opened up after and been normal since like August..

Wow! That's amazing This is somewhere in New Zealand or Australia then? Amazing how they handled COVID...But sadly none of the other countries are really implementing some of those practices...weird! 

On 25/01/2021 at 9:20 AM, MrCat said:

Social distancing meant that we didn't even catch a common cold last winter.!  Having a 4 year old who didn't get sick in winter was unreal :D 

What you have kids? I, for some reason thought you were single and mingling hard! (I think the posts about the E30 and the gold / bronze M4 you had, created that impression for some reason!! 😄 ) 

3 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Wow! That's amazing This is somewhere in New Zealand or Australia then? Amazing how they handled COVID...But sadly none of the other countries are really implementing some of those practices...weird! 

What you have kids? I, for some reason thought you were single and mingling hard! (I think the posts about the E30 and the gold / bronze M4 you had, created that impression for some reason!! 😄 ) 

Yeah, I am settled in Western Australia, 2.6 million square kilometres of mostly flat, mostly dry, big ass land :D  

HA HA, I do have a 5 year old, which means I get to drive around with one status symbol at the back seat, the baby seat! Considering the my child`s size and the rate of growth, looks like the master piece is going to be there for at least another two years. 😐

The bronze thing was an M2 Competition, unfortunately not owned by me. :D The owner (good friend) keeps nagging me to buy one, but I've got different plans.. :D 

1 hour ago, MrCat said:

The bronze thing was an M2 Competition, unfortunately not owned by me. :D The owner (good friend) keeps nagging me to buy one, but I've got different plans.. :D 

Ah! That's what it was then: A very striking car it was too...

Going to enjoy reading about your Mustang: I got my hands on a previous gen convertible (airport rental) for few days and it was awesome ( a bit low in power but it was the base 4 cylinder, not the Ecoboost V6 or the V8 so its understandable...The new gen looks even sleeker and a GT V8 version of that wow: Dead cool. 😎

1. Are you getting a coupe or a convertible?

2. Isn't the V6 ecoboost+ performance pack faster than the V8?  

34 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

Ah! That's what it was then: A very striking car it was too...

Going to enjoy reading about your Mustang: I got my hands on a previous gen convertible (airport rental) for few days and it was awesome ( a bit low in power but it was the base 4 cylinder, not the Ecoboost V6 or the V8 so its understandable...The new gen looks even sleeker and a GT V8 version of that wow: Dead cool. 😎

1. Are you getting a coupe or a convertible?

2. Isn't the V6 ecoboost+ performance pack faster than the V8?  

Yeah, the current version is a very good overall package. One of the few modern cars that Ford got right in terms of multiple factors like : pricing, technology + features, ride comfort, range of engines and trim levels, etc.. I think they basically got the "usable sports car which wont break the bank" package just right.   

1.)  Not a fan of convertibles really. Tried driving top down a few times in my MX-5 and it didn't work for me. 

2.) The V6 wasn't offered here and I think it was discontinued from the US market in 2018. It may have been faster and easily tuneable being a turbo, but the low down grunt and N/A throttle response of the V8 is just 🥰 🥰.. You basically have to properly press the brakes when idling in gear, the thing just tries to jump forward in idle! 

Edited by MrCat
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, MrCat said:

but the low down grunt and N/A throttle response of the V8 is just 🥰 🥰.. You basically have to stomp on the brakes quite hard when idling in gear, the thing just tries to jump forward in idle! 

Ah! True: V8's do sound really awesome! Even at start-up and idle, that low bass rumble is just 👌

(Didn't know that they discontinued thr V6's in the Mustang,  must have, I'm not too up-to-date on the subject. I do know that the current Raptor has a varient of the V6 (the V6 coyote I believe its called?) In it, so I assumed thr Mustang had it too. Either way, there's no replacement for displacement! And I understand even the Raptor boys are eagerly awaiting the New Raptor with the V8 as even though the newer V6 Ecoboost equipped Raptor was faster than the 1st Gen V8 Raptor, it didn't have the same appeal so...) 

Edited by Kavvz

6 hours ago, Kavvz said:

ol !! My favorite kind of idiot! The ones that seem to love bragging about how everything 'in the abroad' is fantastic...!!

Then we have the idiots who forget their mother language/s the minute they cross over the immigration counter :) When I go to Sri Lankan Community events..I always talk in Sinhala.Even when they speak to me in English I reply in Sinhala..so..in the US and UK it was always constant comments about "English thama huru madi wage' ne ? Ladja wenna epa...kadichcha Enlgish walin hari katha karanna..apita nam chuttak forgetful Sinhala" in the most funny foreiner's sinhala accent ever. I mean...how stupid does one have to be to be to forget a language that you have been using and learnt everything you know of for 20+ years of your life ? 

As for the corruption...there really is no place without corruption. It is just that in most developed countries even after the bribes and the wastage there is something that still gets done such that there is some system (in terms of public infrastructure and services) that gets put in place...Sadly, in countries like Sri Lanka and African nations...the money gets stolen even before the work gets done...or state resources are sacrificed for the benefit of individuals. A perfect example is our education system. We had one of the best education systems in the region in the 80s. So much so that we had teacher trainees from Malaysia/Singapore coming over to SL on scholarships to learn the SL way....now we cannot find any teachers who meet the criteria to be sent to take on schoarships offered by Malaysia (well..at least between 2013 - 2015 we couldn't). ALl this because  bunch of uneducated @#()*$## spent more on cars and foreign trips rather than on the education system and hid behind an excuse of a war.

2 hours ago, MrCat said:

Yeah, I am settled in Western Australia, 2.6 million square kilometres of mostly flat, mostly dry, big ass land :D  

HA HA, I do have a 5 year old, which means I get to drive around with one status symbol at the back seat, the baby seat! Considering the my child`s size and the rate of growth, looks like the master piece is going to be there for at least another two years. 😐

There are humans in Western Australia ? J/K ;)

Hmmm....well...beyond 15kg you can move to a booster seat which is heavenly compared to a baby seat. You discover whole new real estate on the rear seat you had completely forgotten about :)

23 minutes ago, iRage said:

Then we have the idiots who forget their mother language/s the minute they cross over the immigration counter :)

Lol!! Exactly !!  (Or certain individuals from Colombo who haven't spent more than 2 weeks at a stretch outside of SL, yet have thick US accents!! A certain actress comes to mind, but since she now actually DOES live in the US, I will have to stop making fun of her and assume the accent is legit...)

When I go to Sri Lankan Community events..I always talk in Sinhala.Even when they speak to me in English I reply in Sinhala..so..in the US and UK it was always constant comments about "English thama huru madi wage' ne ? Ladja wenna epa...kadichcha Enlgish walin hari katha karanna..apita nam chuttak forgetful Sinhala" in the most funny foreiner's sinhala accent ever.

What idiots!! 

I mean...how stupid does one have to be to be to forget a language that you have been using and learnt everything you know of for 20+ years of your life ? 

Precisely! 

All this because  bunch of uneducated @#()*$## spent more on cars and foreign trips rather than on the education system and hid behind an excuse of a war.

The sad thing is they are still doing it under various schemes; and it seems to happen no matter who is in power...I mean the Yaha-group was a complete joke, and now this lot are acting the fool already 😒 🙄 There is no end...

Edited by Kavvz

9 minutes ago, iRage said:

There are humans in Western Australia ? J/K ;)

Hmmm....well...beyond 15kg you can move to a booster seat which is heavenly compared to a baby seat. You discover whole new real estate on the rear seat you had completely forgotten about :)

Lol! When the Zombie Apocalypse hits, guess who`s going all Mad Max? All I need is bucket loads of water, food and fuel and I could literally get lost for a couple months. :D

Yeah, boosters are much easier to handle. My child is mostly bone not much muscle so kind of concerned that she might get thrown through the belt.  Good reminder but, must have a look at different designs around. 

5 minutes ago, MrCat said:

Lol! When the Zombie Apocalypse hits, guess who`s going all Mad Max? All I need is bucket loads of water, food and fuel and I could literally get lost for a couple of months 

You'll be needing a V8 Raptor then, not a V8 Mustang...?

(I would say the Ram T-Rex, but despite the bump in power , it doesn't look as cool, the Raptor's definitely more Mad-Max...) 

24 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

You'll be needing a V8 Raptor then, not a V8 Mustang...?

(I would say the Ram T-Rex, but despite the bump in power , it doesn't look as cool, the Raptor's definitely more Mad-Max...) 

Unfortunately, again not offered in this land!  Can get the normal F150 Raptor as grey imports, but it`ll be quite inconvenient going Mad Max with the steering on the wrong side (LHD). Just checked the price, 220k AUD new, Ouch!!   I`ve been inside the top spec RAM 2500/1500`s , my lord, they are like the Rolls Royces of the tuck world!

Then there is the wannabe Ranger Raptor.. Not a bad rig though, the tiny 2.0 twin turbo is a massive let-down IMO.. "Raptor" brand in a friggin 2.0? Honestly, just accountants doing product planning.! 

There`s speculation around Ford Australia planning to put the Coyote V8 in the Ranger Raptor. That`ll be one sweet little truck if they do... 

Edited by MrCat

22 hours ago, MrCat said:

Unfortunately, again not offered in this land! 

What a shame! If there ever was a good secondary market for a truck like that I would have thought it would be Australia! No wonder we saw a number of Raptors (including a Hennessey Velociraptor) pass through that LHD-RHD conversion place in SL: Probably all heading to homes down-under...

There`s speculation around Ford Australia planning to put the Coyote V8 in the Ranger Raptor. That`ll be one sweet little truck if they do... 

Whoa! Even better than the big-boy Raptor that way: Lighter and faster! 

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2021 at 1:27 AM, Kavvz said:

When that plane door opens and you get that first blast of hot steamy, Colombo air: I get a bit weak legged and all...I always feel like I should pull a MR and stumble down those steps to kiss the ground or something.

man!!! you too? :D spent 3 months in an absolutely horrid winter  (one weekend it was -25 C) and came back to the absolute heat of February in 2012 at 35 C the blast of hot humid air was so welcome (and mind you that plane was full it was a 12 hour flight and i was seated near a toilet that was being repeatedly assaulted by an endless horde of french depositing their le poopette so that fresh air was more than welcome) - almost almost did an MR. there was no jet bridge that day - just the good ole steps and the waiting bus. 

Coming to local airspace and  circling above and seeing the palm trees and the air already simmering with heat really is a welcoming sight. Also have you ever arrived at dawn? the pinkish sky and seeing the outline of palm trees is quite a sight. 

Edited by matroska
  • Like 1

Well, guess what? Our Covid luck finally ran out.. One case of community transmission and the whole city locked-down until this Friday ..   😐   😐   😐   😐 

It all lasted 10 months, so cant complain really... 

Edited by MrCat

7 hours ago, MrCat said:

Well, guess what? Our Covid luck finally ran out.. One case of community transmission and the whole city locked-down until this Friday ..   😐   😐   😐   😐 

It all lasted 10 months, so cant complain really... 

Still good. And I am glad the city / country is so proactive.

(Over 800 new Covid19 cases today in SL.- including 114 new admitals to the Colombo base hospital today, but people are still hosting birthday parties, kissing cheeks & feeding each other cake! Makes me cringe just thinking about it...)

15 hours ago, matroska said:

man!!! you too? :D spent 3 months in an absolutely horrid winter  (one weekend it was -25 C) and came back to the absolute heat of February in 2012 at 35 C the blast of hot humid air was so welcome (and mind you that plane was full it was a 12 hour flight and i was seated near a toilet that was being repeatedly assaulted by an endless horde of french depositing their le poopette so that fresh air was more than welcome)

lol !! :D 

- almost almost did an MR.

I wonder if anyone does actually do that? Would be hilarious to pull it off ! Funny how none of the ship crew / Korea based workers etc haven't done it for Utube / fb yet. I know I totally would if I traveled in groups of 5-10 like they did... :D 

Also have you ever arrived at dawn? the pinkish sky and seeing the outline of palm trees is quite a sight. 

Ah! No, never had a dawn flight yet- But that does sound quite lovely!

(I once flew into Mattala airport a number of years ago on a flight from Shanghai, and that was a lovely too- For some reason or the other, they did a long stretch of low flying along the coast and it was incredibly beautiful !)

Edited by Kavvz

8 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Still good. And I am glad the city / country is so proactive.

(Over 800 new Covid19 cases today in SL.- including 114 new admitals to the Colombo base hospital today, but people are still hosting birthday parties, kissing cheeks & feeding each other cake! Makes me cringe just thinking about it...)

That`s crazy eh... Just don't understand why people would host useless events like b`day parties these days..  😐

Members,

Very interesting living in other countries were written in past and present with their experiences.  Few members posts good and bad was explained. I really appreciate them for their posts, also valuable time very well explained.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

PS.

I will post What good offers I was offers in other countries to my thread because if not there will be?

2 hours ago, Sylvi said:

Members,

Very interesting living in other countries were written in past and present with their experiences.  Few members posts good and bad was explained. I really appreciate them for their posts, also valuable time very well explained.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

PS.

I will post What good offers I was offers in other countries to my thread because if not there will be?

Well I think you would be okay posting about  'Life' in general ( in Sri Lanka or your overseas life) on this thread too. I doubt it would be out of place given the content of this thread....

• Like 1