• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Starting a car flipping business...

Hashif Riyas

I'm planning to start a car flipping business for an aesthetic pleasure and some extra cashflow.

Buying cars from the 90s with fixable issues from the  users and through leasing auctions.Then add value and make them reliable by fixing running repairs doing paintjobs, detailing the interior and exterior. Customize them without changing the originality to make them look good like, nice set of alloy wheels.

I know a painter, a mechanic and an upholsterer who do good quality work for an average price. I can source parts through recondition part shops in Akurana, Gelioya, Mawanella, Kurunegala and Delkanda, or at the worst situation ebay them.

My starting budget would be 1.5 - 2 Million. And fixing budget would be 100-150k based on the car
Cars that I'll love to flipping on my budget would be AE80 Sprinters, AE100s, 323s, Cefiros, Bluebirds, Lancers. Will be transparent to the customer on what I got replaced and what he will be getting.

My dad did a recent positive flip with a 2007 van. But telling him this idea he says the fixing costs would be way too higher than i think.

Will customers pay a premium of 100-200k than the market price for good-looking reliable vehicles which make heads-turn? And have anyone of you have tried this kinda business. Would like to know what your experiences are...

Isn't this how the majority of sales owners start out in life? 

Buying a 90s car, making it shine, and selling (albeit.. With some shady tape repairs and meter rolling). 

Its a good idea. Make sure you buy for the right price, manage repair costs reasonably, not cutting corners in vital areas (things like fibering an AC vent properly instead of buying a set is fine). Know your cars, models and their common issues and the target market. 

Better if you could even profess in one specific make/model and be a pro at it. There are such people who deal parts and cars for one specific generation of the model even (for example, E36 Gen of the BMW 3 series) 

Best way for you to be profitable, is to know your mechanics well and have a good rapport. The repair/paint costs will bite away at your potential profits. That's why most sales have their own workshops. 

Also yes. There are always people who will pay the premium as long as they aren't sales buyyo or toyyos (the type to criticize the minor scratch under the bumper and color choice of a 40 year old car and its affect on resale so that they can post an ad on the quicksite instantly with a 25% profit margin). 

It won't take so long for an enthusiast of a specific model to look around at a few beat up specimen and think "ayyo, isn't there any hope of finding a good example?" (being there, done that).

When I was looking out for cars and motorbikes of that vintage, I always come across douchebags who cant send proper pictures, don't answer calls, don't know jack about the car, can't send a video of its condition, talk with bulto in their mouth, legit boomers.

This sucks when you like the vehicle and have no choice but to make a several 100km journey to inspect it.. Only to find out it has no battery, or that it's a completely difference vehicle from the picture, or that the engine is so undercompressed it can't move the vehicle. 

Your target market should be enthusiasts and you should make efforts for an effortless transaction to happen. After all, no sales, no profits. 

Edited by AVANTE

This is exactly what 99.9% of the brokers actually do. Sadly this also means your services, no matter how good and honest it may be, will be judged as a shady broker type services. Also, I feel your dad is right. You won't have much room between the sourcing price of the car and the market value to actually do a decent fix up. This is also the reason why all brokers do shady repairs and do things like roll-back meters (to maximize market value and reduce repair cost). So at some point in time you will also have to resort to compromise on quality f parts or cut a few corners in the effort you put in to it. Also, lets not forget that there are plenty of shiny looking Corollas and Sunnae out there.

You might want to just buy the car...do a proper clean up and full inspection and then sell it with restoration upon buyers requirements.

But like what Avante said...perhaps focusing on a niche market might be beneficial too...you can target enthusiasts...but being enthusiasts we are a very demanding crowd and 90% of us will not low ball you on offers.

Members,

(1) Category of men their mentality and habits. Still are necessary to repair Automobiles.

At present most painters, Mechanics, Tinkers are not doing a job to satisfy a automobile user to use for a long time. They all do is only to get their money for their daily evening Alcohol give little what is left with them to their family. Not worried about the future family problems illnesses they have to face in future, living with Epidemic.

(2) Category.

When they go to buy any spares or required materials for the job what they are entrusted to do, they will slowly inform the spare part shop or any hardware shop sales man they buy the requirement for the entrusted job what they do to leave a commission.

If spare part shop do not have the part, then they will take the damaged part to a Lathe shop to rebuild same. There also they will have a share.

(3) Category.

All said people will win your confidence. They become a part of your life,will encourage you to go in for a another old vehicle and redo like the early one. Sell with a profit.

Now all are happy.

Then all above said people want an a Cash advance for some personal use, you gladly will give that. That will be the last time you will see him.

Automobile  small time repair garages are also same, Other than established big timers. Their proprietors also face above said problems working with blue color workers. and with purchasing officers.

I have faced all above in last sixty years of my automobile and industrial unit of maintenance.

I have lived in industry from 1964 to date, no regrets.

Above is the life every where in the world.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

• Haha 1

On 5/8/2021 at 11:52 PM, Hashif Riyas said:

I'm planning to start a car flipping business for an aesthetic pleasure and some extra cashflow.

Buying cars from the 90s with fixable issues from the  users and through leasing auctions.Then add value and make them reliable by fixing running repairs doing paintjobs, detailing the interior and exterior. Customize them without changing the originality to make them look good like, nice set of alloy wheels.

I know a painter, a mechanic and an upholsterer who do good quality work for an average price. I can source parts through recondition part shops in Akurana, Gelioya, Mawanella, Kurunegala and Delkanda, or at the worst situation ebay them.

My starting budget would be 1.5 - 2 Million. And fixing budget would be 100-150k based on the car
Cars that I'll love to flipping on my budget would be AE80 Sprinters, AE100s, 323s, Cefiros, Bluebirds, Lancers. Will be transparent to the customer on what I got replaced and what he will be getting.

My dad did a recent positive flip with a 2007 van. But telling him this idea he says the fixing costs would be way too higher than i think.

Will customers pay a premium of 100-200k than the market price for good-looking reliable vehicles which make heads-turn? And have anyone of you have tried this kinda business. Would like to know what your experiences are...

You should start restoring Preseas. Man thats the best restorable car you can get for a cheap price. And people die to buy those too. Can't even stop to take a piss on the road people come asking if im selling my preseas. And they give me offers I can't refuse I had to sell 4 preseas and buy a presea again. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

@AVANTE

Actually, I don't wanna be a buyya or a broker whom people hate the most.

I want to drive and build cars. And drive them for a while, then when I get bored with it flip for profit.  Anyways me restoring the car, I'll be happy to make cars  aesthetically pleasing and make them roadworthy. Not referring to cheap fixes anyways. I want to deliver a good car to people not shutboxes with cheap fixes. 

I'm currently into Bluebird SU14s they look amazing with the sss headlights and shells on. There are some bluebird enthusiasts around too. But yeah, sourcing good bluebirds with English numbers will be a tough tough task.

Edited by Hashif Riyas

@Sylvi

1. The mech I'm referring to is an established workshop. They remove the specific part and give us to buy the replacement units. We alone should source them. 

2. The painter is also a well known outsourcer, he charges reasonably and he values vehicles. So, the work quality is perfect. He sometimes overdelivers too. 

58 minutes ago, Hashif Riyas said:

@AVANTE

Actually, I don't wanna be a buyya or a broker whom people hate the most.

I want to drive and build cars. And drive them for a while, then when I get bored with it flip for profit.  Anyways me restoring the car, I'll be happy to make cars  aesthetically pleasing and make them roadworthy. Not referring to cheap fixes anyways. I want to deliver a good car to people not shutboxes with cheap fixes. 

I'm currently into Bluebird SU14s they look amazing with the sss headlights and shells on. There are some bluebird enthusiasts around too. But yeah, sourcing good bluebirds with English numbers will be a tough tough task.

Yes, you should stand out from the crowd. 

I'd say if you are confident, get into the Nissan hobby. Even I'd like me a nice SU14. Saw a beautiful dark green few months ago, never saw another one with that color. Pulsar are good too and Primeras with SR20s have some demand as well. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hashif Riyas said:

@Sylvi

1. The mech I'm referring to is an established workshop. They remove the specific part and give us to buy the replacement units. We alone should source them. 

2. The painter is also a well known outsourcer, he charges reasonably and he values vehicles. So, the work quality is perfect. He sometimes overdelivers too. 

Now this is something I mentioned in some other thread or to someone else....where garages are concerned, there are several garages that do good work (some are new and some have been so for a long time). The issue is as these garages build their reputation and more people go to it...that is when their work starts to suffer as now the garage gets overwhelmed and they do not have sufficient resources to maintain the high quality of work against the volume of work. This continues as most of them do not have the financial capacity to expand either. So you need to be mindful about how much work you are going to be sending to these garages.

10 hours ago, Hashif Riyas said:

I want to drive and build cars. And drive them for a while, then when I get bored with it flip for profit.  Anyways me restoring the car,

Now this is where you are getting it somewhat wrong. Anyone who has restored a car properly will tell you that it costs a LOT and you will NEVER EVER recover those costs. But since these restorers do it for a car they intend to keep for a while or just do it out of pure passion, they do not care about the loss. If you plan to "flip" it to make money...then this should obvously be of concern to you. You brought up the U14 example...those SSS headlights and sports grills are 3 - 5 times more expensive than a normal grill and headlight. So...again..your dad is right. If this is what you are planning to do..you are not going to make any money.

In fact you will be losing a lot restoring these cars (so your only return on investment would be that of actually driving the car for a few months). This is also the reason why the buyyas do such crappy jobs... At the end of the day..there will only be 0.5% of buyers looking for a U14 or something will be willing to pay a fair price for the car + repair/parts cost + margin. Even those who were planning to buy and restore would not be prepared to fully pay the price as on one hand they would beleive they could do it cheaper (i.e. not have to pay for your margin) and on the other hand would want to do things their way (because they have no idea what you have done and in SL it is really hard to trust anyone who flips cars).

This conversation has been had offline with some people who resto-mod certain cars. These people do not make that much money in selling the restomod car itself (not enough to justify a continuing business) and where there is any money to be made it is made when a car is resto-moded based on consignment (i.e. the buyer has the base car, selects the donor car himself and all these guys have to do is to put in the labor and the actual services of bringing down the donor car) or through sourcing rare parts.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hashif Riyas said:

I want to drive and build cars. And drive them for a while, then when I get bored with it flip for profit. 

Well that's nice -the 'build' part is what the average 'buyya' does not do.  You need to be a bit of an enthusiast to do that. The most common buyya would actually 'drive them for a while' if he get's a good car. Buyya's sometimes when they find a good car keep it for a while. 

12 hours ago, Hashif Riyas said:

Do you mean U14's in general or SU14 Diesels in particular? Diesels are more popular due to lower fuel costs. The petrols - I think you can bargain a bit and get the price down cos they're not that rapid movers. Specially the few that have SR20's (2000 CC). A while back there was a SSS petrol that was in need of a paint job going well below market price. Either way maybe you can focus on the niche-market and focus on  some good enthusiast cars like Primera P11's. 

Edited by matroska

6 hours ago, matroska said:

Diesels are more popular due to lower fuel costs. The petrols - I think you can bargain a bit and get the price down cos they're not that rapid movers.

U14s in general. I would personally love to get myself an English number original dark-blue SSS which is petrol, as you say I could lowball one hardly too 🙃

Primera's are looking good too will be doing a research on them out. 

images.jpeg

My potential cost breakdown on a mechanically stable Common Bluebird would be 

* Project Eu14 1999/2000 Car assuming the market price is 2 Million and, Lowballing to 1.6 Million

* 40K for the coat of paint 

* 40K SSS Exterior Parts*

* 40K Complimenting Alloy Wheels

* 30K Average Mechanical issues ( If any ) 

* 10K Interior Wear&Tear Fixes 

*  A day and 5k for a DIY interior/exterior clean 

* Miscellaneous Expenses 35k

1.6 Million + 200K 😑

Rs. 1.8 Million Costing Car

1 hour ago, Hashif Riyas said:

My potential cost breakdown on a mechanically stable Common Bluebird would be 

* Project Eu14 1999/2000 Car assuming the market price is 2 Million and, Lowballing to 1.6 Million

* 40K for the coat of paint 

* 40K SSS Exterior Parts*

* 40K Complimenting Alloy Wheels

* 30K Average Mechanical issues ( If any ) 

* 10K Interior Wear&Tear Fixes 

*  A day and 5k for a DIY interior/exterior clean 

* Miscellaneous Expenses 35k

1.6 Million + 200K 😑

Rs. 1.8 Million Costing Car

I am sorry but these costs are very very optimistic to a point that it is almost unrealistic and at hindsight looks just like a buyya type of restoration.

A proper paint job is going ot be more than 40K..especially if the body needs an entire respray. A paint correction itself with just cut and polish and sealant would cost nearly 10K. SSS parts...have you found the parts required for that price ? Just asking because a Corolla GT and Sunny VZR parts cost that much just for grill and headlights. Wheels...40K....13 or 14 inch JDM wheels in average shape can be found but 15 onwards go more than that (and this is assuming you do not need new tires). A car 20+ years (consdering the actual mileage it would have done) will need mechanical work done (especially preemptive work). 10K for interior....that all depends on how bad the dash and stuff are.

So...you really do need to rethink this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iRage said:

I am sorry but these costs are very very optimistic to a point that it is almost unrealistic and at hindsight looks just like a buyya type of restoration.

A proper paint job is going ot be more than 40K..especially if the body needs an entire respray. A paint correction itself with just cut and polish and sealant would cost nearly 10K. SSS parts...have you found the parts required for that price ? Just asking because a Corolla GT and Sunny VZR parts cost that much just for grill and headlights. Wheels...40K....13 or 14 inch JDM wheels in average shape can be found but 15 onwards go more than that (and this is assuming you do not need new tires). A car 20+ years (consdering the actual mileage it would have done) will need mechanical work done (especially preemptive work). 10K for interior....that all depends on how bad the dash and stuff are.

So...you really do need to rethink this.

Paint stuff, actually I made myself a guess based on his previous quotes. He quoted 100K for spraying 1 coat of 2k paint for a delica po15. 'sale paints' are 50% cheaper than him here for the same vehicle.

Bodyworks I didn't add, anyways if it has minor dents he once charged us only 15K for repairing including the paintwork needed, you can never find where the dent was earlier. The paintshop i'm referring to is based in kandy, so cheap labour costs may affect too. 

image.png.d8dce77581d9b1bd2620d77f88990219.png

The above example is the listed price ( which can be negotiated too ). So one in perfect shape would cost around 12 - 15K

SSS Grilles were listed in quicksite for 11k earlier. SSS Buffers can be bought for cheap like 20k for both through negotiating.

Alloys - Yeah, I'm referring to some 14"/15" JDMs without tyres. Didn't get a quote recently.

Mechanicals - As I have only dealt with mechanicals for vehicles from 2007+ . I really have to rethink, or try buying one and restoring. The misc expenses of 35k can be transferred in here.

Interiors on cars I had a look, had nothing much to do. Just some cosmetic wear and tear that could be sorted out way cheaper. 

12 hours ago, iRage said:

there will only be 0.5% of buyers looking for a U14 or something will be willing to pay a fair price for the car + repair/parts cost + margin

241737439_Screenshot2021-05-14201442.png.ec952e4f8e43e762ad9a91b59458d057.png

Members,

iRage,

Your post is very correct. I do not think he has much experience with our Automobile workers.

If any one goes to buy a vehicle today, Buying cost then the new buyers requirements mentioned according to the early post by member H. Riyas figures estimated may be correct according to him. But no one can predict these costs.

Because every spare part shop will never give you a discount at present. What they inform you that the spares are not coming to the country. This information is told to buyers by every retailer to people who visits them for their requirements.

I last month imported my raw material requirements for two hundred thousand Rupees from the USA  manufacture, without any difficulty. My requirement may be small, but there was no difficulty of transferring the cost officially through my Bank.  I was told all-most all manufactures are producing their products at present with out any difficulty.

Before placing the order I had a long chat ( Overseas call to my regular shipper, he said they normally have stocks for three months. Only during the Pandemic problem started production was interrupted, but they are in a position to supply without any delay.

Let him decide what he should buy. Then do necessary thins as he wish.

Good luck for the member.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hashif Riyas said:

Paint stuff, actually I made myself a guess based on his previous quotes. He quoted 100K for spraying 1 coat of 2k paint for a delica po15. 'sale paints' are 50% cheaper than him here for the same vehicle.

Bodyworks I didn't add, anyways if it has minor dents he once charged us only 15K for repairing including the paintwork needed, you can never find where the dent was earlier. The paintshop i'm referring to is based in kandy, so cheap labour costs may affect too. 

image.png.d8dce77581d9b1bd2620d77f88990219.png

The above example is the listed price ( which can be negotiated too ). So one in perfect shape would cost around 12 - 15K

SSS Grilles were listed in quicksite for 11k earlier. SSS Buffers can be bought for cheap like 20k for both through negotiating.

Alloys - Yeah, I'm referring to some 14"/15" JDMs without tyres. Didn't get a quote recently.

Mechanicals - As I have only dealt with mechanicals for vehicles from 2007+ . I really have to rethink, or try buying one and restoring. The misc expenses of 35k can be transferred in here.

Interiors on cars I had a look, had nothing much to do. Just some cosmetic wear and tear that could be sorted out way cheaper. 

241737439_Screenshot2021-05-14201442.png.ec952e4f8e43e762ad9a91b59458d057.png

Again, I strongly do believe that you are being optimistic to a point where it is not realistic (at least as a business). First of all..you start off by doing a typica buyya move....you low ball the asking price just because that is what you want it for to meet your profit margins...so you yourself will not be willing to pay for what the car truly is. Lets not forget..even as a broker it is advisabel (and is in the best interest of your future customer) to get a proper inspection done (a professional inspection) and check for hidden repairs, safety issues, etc..at the very least. If you don't then the person buying the car from you might and you will lose out if the car has some hidden damage (there are good brokers out there who do get proper reports). So those are additional costs (any car enthusiast will be honest about them not being able to do a proper comprehensive inspection themselves...so not sure how you plan to handle this).

Those headlights are cheap...however it could be because the brackets are broken. Just one case of the parts being cheap does not imply that it is always going to be cheap. Also, just because that pair was that price it does not mean they are all that price (remember if you are doing a business you need to account for escalation of prices as well).

As for the paint....didn't you just cut down a 100K single coat paint to 40K ? So that is less than what the buyyas pay. Also, one reason why buyya paints suck is becuase it is a quick single coat on the surface with putty put on to reshape the body. A proper tinkering job of a fender can take a better part of a day...then it needs to be prep'd...and painted...then finished..which can easily take 1-1.5 days. Then again, you never know what is going to be found under the cut paint (especially if you do not do a proper inspection when you buy the car).

Actual JDM wheels are not cheap either...there are a lot of fake ones around being sold as actual Japanese ones though (but that would be a buyya way of going about it). The good JDM wheels that are cheap need refurbishing...a proper refurbishment of wheels will cost as well (ideally you do not put "normal" paint on the wheels because it doesn't last long...although 99% of the garages in SL do just that).

As for mechanicals...well...you get cheap parts and then decent parts and expensive parts....you can fix the mechanicals using cheap parts which is what is commonly available (and it even comes in nice Nissan/Infiniti/Toyota/Lexus boxes). Using these parts is not very durable...in fact this is why no one likes the repairs buyyas do.

Know of so many people who went to buy certain Mark X and Mark II parts that were advertised; only to find out that the part that was advertised had been sold...but the seller had a similar part for 30-40% more (which incidentally had the same scratches, color fades etc as the cheaper part that was sold).

As Mr. Sylvi mentioned...these are never fixed price repairs and parts. Things always keep changing...partly it is because of taxes, currency, etc...but it is also because these business people just make all sorts of claims to make you walk in to their shop. 

Not trying to discourage you..but trying to make you realise that your thresholds and expectations need to be readjusted and you need to look at other things/ways to make money. 

Also, don't beleive everything on the internet. Do you really think that that statement makes sense ? So he asked for 2.175 mil..but sold for 2.15 mil...but then he claims that the byer would have bought it even for 2.3mil. Don't you think that someone who would have bought it for 2.3mil would have no issues in buying the car at the asking price of 2.175 mil ? Car prices being advertisd and what people say about the prices cannot be believed (the cars that are advertised at higher prices are purposely over priced anyway to account for the haggling). At the end of the day...a car goes at market value. A proper restoration is not going to keep the car within its actual market value (that has never happened anywhere in the planet); the exception would be certain modern/sort after enthusiast cars.  

Yes...you are not going to take any of these on board until you do one yourself and see what it truly is like...but sadly you are not going to see this by just fixing up one car and selling it off (in which case it is not a car flipping business). But...like I keep saying..your dad is right.

Also, I still think you should focus on a particular niche market...and sadly Nissan is not that niche of a market...also...what you can do with Nissans (in terms of models) are also fast running out....there are only so much so 25+ year old Nissans (Toyotas, etc...) that can be flipped.

Edited by iRage

Also, I just realised that I believe there is a difference in terminology here....I don't beleive what you are planning to do is restore a car. What you are planning on doing is dressing up the car and making it running. Not necessarily a restoration.

1 hour ago, iRage said:

Again, I strongly do believe that you are being optimistic to a point where it is not realistic (at least as a business). First of all..you start off by doing a typica buyya move....you low ball the asking price just because that is what you want it for to meet your profit margins...so you yourself will not be willing to pay for what the car truly is. Lets not forget..even as a broker it is advisabel (and is in the best interest of your future customer) to get a proper inspection done (a professional inspection) and check for hidden repairs, safety issues, etc..at the very least. If you don't then the person buying the car from you might and you will lose out if the car has some hidden damage (there are good brokers out there who do get proper reports). So those are additional costs (any car enthusiast will be honest about them not being able to do a proper comprehensive inspection themselves...so not sure how you plan to handle this).

Those headlights are cheap...however it could be because the brackets are broken. Just one case of the parts being cheap does not imply that it is always going to be cheap. Also, just because that pair was that price it does not mean they are all that price (remember if you are doing a business you need to account for escalation of prices as well).

As for the paint....didn't you just cut down a 100K single coat paint to 40K ? So that is less than what the buyyas pay. Also, one reason why buyya paints suck is becuase it is a quick single coat on the surface with putty put on to reshape the body. A proper tinkering job of a fender can take a better part of a day...then it needs to be prep'd...and painted...then finished..which can easily take 1-1.5 days. Then again, you never know what is going to be found under the cut paint (especially if you do not do a proper inspection when you buy the car).

Actual JDM wheels are not cheap either...there are a lot of fake ones around being sold as actual Japanese ones though (but that would be a buyya way of going about it). The good JDM wheels that are cheap need refurbishing...a proper refurbishment of wheels will cost as well (ideally you do not put "normal" paint on the wheels because it doesn't last long...although 99% of the garages in SL do just that).

As for mechanicals...well...you get cheap parts and then decent parts and expensive parts....you can fix the mechanicals using cheap parts which is what is commonly available (and it even comes in nice Nissan/Infiniti/Toyota/Lexus boxes). Using these parts is not very durable...in fact this is why no one likes the repairs buyyas do.

Know of so many people who went to buy certain Mark X and Mark II parts that were advertised; only to find out that the part that was advertised had been sold...but the seller had a similar part for 30-40% more (which incidentally had the same scratches, color fades etc as the cheaper part that was sold).

As Mr. Sylvi mentioned...these are never fixed price repairs and parts. Things always keep changing...partly it is because of taxes, currency, etc...but it is also because these business people just make all sorts of claims to make you walk in to their shop. 

Not trying to discourage you..but trying to make you realise that your thresholds and expectations need to be readjusted and you need to look at other things/ways to make money. 

Also, don't beleive everything on the internet. Do you really think that that statement makes sense ? So he asked for 2.175 mil..but sold for 2.15 mil...but then he claims that the byer would have bought it even for 2.3mil. Don't you think that someone who would have bought it for 2.3mil would have no issues in buying the car at the asking price of 2.175 mil ? Car prices being advertisd and what people say about the prices cannot be believed (the cars that are advertised at higher prices are purposely over priced anyway to account for the haggling). At the end of the day...a car goes at market value. A proper restoration is not going to keep the car within its actual market value (that has never happened anywhere in the planet); the exception would be certain modern/sort after enthusiast cars.  

Yes...you are not going to take any of these on board until you do one yourself and see what it truly is like...but sadly you are not going to see this by just fixing up one car and selling it off (in which case it is not a car flipping business). But...like I keep saying..your dad is right.

Also, I still think you should focus on a particular niche market...and sadly Nissan is not that niche of a market...also...what you can do with Nissans (in terms of models) are also fast running out....there are only so much so 25+ year old Nissans (Toyotas, etc...) that can be flipped.

Po15 is a giant vehicle compared to a Bluebird U14 right. That's why I guessed a 40K. Sorry for that. 

Yeah, prices are also not so stable nowadays. I understand, there will only be a thin and light margin off of a 2 Million worth car.

Calling this type of work restoration & art of lowballing, were educated to me through this forum itself. 

I'm sorry to know I'm talking like a buyya now . 

This is where I got the urge. When we were hunting for our family van earlier this year. 

** This time I'm referring to 'skf2v Sinha Moonas' and Mitsubishi po5s

I initially saw an opportunity of abused interior , faded up paints,  not so pleasant-looking home used vans with okayish mileages (140-170k) for vans above 2007. Nobody wanted them to look good, and nobody with the intent to use them personally wanted them.

** for the mileages I'm referring to not meter clocked ones, you can get an idea based on the condition if it's clocked or not...

Those were not putty filled vehicles also didn't have any structural damages during inspection, just minor scratches & dents what you can generally see in a 2007+ models.

They were listed for the market price like 3.5 Million those days and they negotiated a good 300K below, some even negotiated even more when repeatedly saying cash business . 

They would have never bought the vehicle above what their negotiating price is at the first point. They used it so roughly and took advantage on the appreciation of vehicle prices during covid and advertised when in need for cash.

Just saying, If I buy a skf2v dx in the condition I mentioned above for 3.2 Million. 

For what you call 'dressing up', that will cost me around 200-250k and if I sell with a 100K margin based on the effort, will it be unethical.

Mechanical side of things,on average, they just need some replacement of belts, filters, mounts, plugs and a complete service. 

I could even source an entire gl interior trim through part shops over here in akurana/gelioya for around 60K+. 

And already had an experience on transforming a van for 200k in total in 2020 November. 

Buyyas don't even care of what I'm talking of. they just buy, drive, clock, sell, their fixes won't even be above 50k I guess. I have seen vans reappearing on sewana with just a price hike of 500k. And even worse, a van like above with a mileage of 450k was up for sale in a group for 3.2 Million (we actually brought down the price to 3 Million but, wasn't very interested due to its mileage) . The same van is now put up for sale without any significant differences for 3.85 Million in anothers hands. 

The thing is I don't have a capital of 3 Million to start with. And I don't want to deal with vans as I'm young. 

3 hours ago, Hashif Riyas said:

Mechanical side of things,on average, they just need some replacement of belts, filters, mounts, plugs and a complete service

This is not a restoration is it ?  No where in the forum does it say that a restoration is a cheap paint job, or resorting to cheap parts for fixes (which based on your budget is what you will be resorting to). I know almost all members talk about doing all the scheduled preemptive maintenances, etc...and doing proper fixes for all mechanical issues. Painting a car vs. a van cannot be compared just like that.

You started off with Bluebird SSSs for driving fun and stuff and now you are talking about vans. You should know that the context of a Bluebird SSS,a car with actual genuine parts getting rarer, in terms of parts, etc...are completely different than a far more common vehicle like a Bongo. 

So...really not sure what exactly you are doing. So the more you devuldge the more you display that you are just intending to broker vehicles :D

Anyway...all the best on your endeavor.

1 hour ago, iRage said:

So...really not sure what exactly you are doing. 

Anyway...all the best on your endeavor

I'm planning on something like what wheeler dealers do, but with a few differences... 

Thank you. I'll be updating once I get done with one car and the end result thereafter. 

5 minutes ago, Hashif Riyas said:

I'm planning on something like what wheeler dealers do, but with a few differences... 

Thank you. I'll be updating once I get done with one car and the end result thereafter. 

Aha...but wheeler dealers don't use the cars...also.. it is reported that 90% of wheeler dealer cars are crap. The first few seasons it was quite obvious on screen :) Didn't Ed C. use a rattle can to paint a few cars ? :D