• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Speed Limits On Sri Lankan Roads

Gummybr

Thought of starting on something new.

What do you guys think of the speed limits on Sri Lankan roads? And what do you guys think the limit should be?

As far as I'm concerned I think that on some roads the speed limit is not fair.

For example: one of my colleagues driving his car on parliament road during the long weekend was copped with the speed reading 79kmph, that is 29km higher than the legal limit on the parliament stretch it seems.

The issue is on a long weekend when there are not much vehicles on the roads especially on a road like that when there is no one around why should a cop stop a car doing 79kmph. (safety issues??)

Another thing I was on my way to airport a few weeks back in one of our breakdown vehicles a single cab, which is a diesel that cannot even hit 50kmph with the load. The guy driving had lots of trouble getting to 60kmph on a stretch with the vehicle steering and control becoming difficult. Then all of a sudden just out of a bend a cop fellow shouted at his colleague who was daydreaming on the other side who just then stopped us. Speed reading 71kmph. That was really absurd as ppl going faster than us were not stopped at all.

Maybe you guys have other experiences which are worse than these.

speeds limits out of the city is 70 km/h when no sign is desplayed, I learnt it during last long weekend at weligama. Fortunately They didnt fine me on pooya day. If they did, I would have to go or send somebody all the way to weligama to collect the licence !!

speeds limits out of the city is 70 km/h when no sign is desplayed, I learnt it during last long weekend at weligama. Fortunately They didnt fine me on pooya day. If they did, I would have to go or send somebody all the way to weligama to collect the licence !!

Legally if I'm not mistaken its 70kmph outstation, and 50 or 60kmph in the city in the case of light vehicles and 60kmph outstation and 50kmph city limits for heavy vehicles. At least thats what they teach you for your driving exams.

what?? speed limits in SL? I thought those were just suggested speeds :) afterall, most other rules and regulations are ignored...

I was once told in SL that u only have to stop at a STOP sign if its not ur right-of-way :) There should be a minimum level of education before issusing a DL ("8 pass" maybe?).

I remember 70/55 for outside city limits/city. However, city limits aren't clearly defined. I just assumed that where u see a "COLOMBO" sign was where the city limit started. I havent heard of city of nugegoda or battaramulla or rathmalana, just Colombo, kandy, galle, kurunegala, etc.

Edited by dhp

then what about those buses going on Galle road ??? are they going below 70 ? no rules for them, isnt it...

i got copped on that road for going @ 92Kmph. :) i know my fault.....

Why would they cop the buses? The bus drivers cant afford to shape the scene with a little under-the-table grease.

Heck, if they are gonna catch buses, no one would make it out of the cop shed on just the noise levels. They make more noise that them v-tuk-tuk Civics, and thats saying something!

I was once told in SL that u only have to stop at a STOP sign if its not ur right-of-way :action-smiley-031: There should be a minimum level of education before issusing a DL ("8 pass" maybe?).

Sri Lanka doesn't have STOP signs. Just right-of way-signs that show you when you don't have 'right of way' (red inverted triangle). Even then, you don't really have to stop, you just need to be aware that you might have to yeild to on-coming traffic.

Sri Lanka doesn't have STOP signs. Just right-of way-signs that show you when you don't have 'right of way' (red inverted triangle). Even then, you don't really have to stop, you just need to be aware that you might have to yeild to on-coming traffic.

I have seen STOP signs in SL (unless my memory is failing me horribly) mostly on roads leading to Galle Rd (at least they did in the 90s). I know for a fact that there was one on De alwis pl? in Dehiwala. and, I am talking about the real stop signs, not Yield signs. Maybe they took them off since no one was paying attention to them..

Edited by dhp

I have seen STOP signs in SL (unless my memory is failing me horribly) mostly on roads leading to Galle Rd (at least they did in the 90s). I know for a fact that there was one on De alwis pl? in Dehiwala. and, I am talking about the real stop signs, not Yield signs. Maybe they took them off since no one was paying attention to them..

Really? Wow! Never laid eyes on one, I guess it was never important eough... :action-smiley-031:

I think the reason behind lower limits(like 50, 70) is the size and condition of our road system. We do not have so many lanes even in a main road.

You may have seen in other countries, there are wide roadways but you see one or two vehicles hardly. Roads are made for the future. And they think its essential as the food. But in our country we have enough other priorities.

@ Gummybr ; ya, I only remember it when I see a head flash of an incomming vehicle !!

Edited by Nozozo

Anyone know what the limit on Baseline / Elvitigala Mw is?

I know of people who've been stopped for doing 70.

What's the bloomin point of having a road like that if you can't even do 70 :angry:

The best part is during the day most everyone does 70 - 80 WITH TRAFFIC and at night

with little or no vehicles on the road these F#*$ing Pigs stop you for SPEEDING. B)

Personaly I think there should be a revision of all speed limits.

However, I must admit that some limits on certain roads are fair, due to road conditions

and width of road etc. which brings us to the Morons at the RDA who let craters be on the

road waiting for a vehicle to fall into.

But then that's another topic............ :action-smiley-031:

The Speed Limits of Democracy

By Robert Farago

October 2nd, 2006 4,571 Views

I like to drive fast. I don't think I'm breaking new rhetorical ground to suggest that anyone who likes to drive fast violates the speed limit from time to time. In fact, depending on your predilection for automotive velocity, "from time to time" easily becomes "all the time." There are plenty of ways to justify chronic speeding: posted speed limits are unrealistic (set low to reflect average vehicles' and drivers' capabilities), they're a guideline rather than an absolute indication of safe speed (which don't reflect variable conditions such as weather, road surface, traffic, etc.), they're relatively unimportant (compared to inattentive, reckless or drunk driving) and the vast majority of motorists exceed them anyway. Strangely, the last excuse is the most potent.... http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=2356

Very interesting read.

Actually, I do agree on one point mona makes. The whole point in the speed limit is to allow you to travel at a speed that lets u react to situations on the road, like the odd pothole, dogs, cows, pedestrians, etc... So it really depends on individual reflexes and the car ...

The last time I was copped for speeding was when I was coasting down the overpass on baseline. I was just coasting the downhil section. In the cab. And while I was getting my ticket, the cops flagged down another vehicle that locked its brakes and slid a bit. And the cop writing my ticket says, see, that guy can't even stop for us, what happens if a dog or sumthing runs onto the road, which is why u shouldn't speed. And I was thinking, if I was in my car, I have 4 disk brakes and ABS, I coulda stopped without so much fuss. Oh and I nearly forgot, It was 2 freaking AM! Even the dogs would be asleep! Only reason I was there was that we went to pick up my uncle and his family from the airport.

I just figured out the speed limits in sri lanka

Minsiters' son- no speed limit

Regular citizens- speed limit is proportional to how big a bribe you can give the police.

Not entirely accurate. U could be distantly related to a minister, that is enough. No need to be blood relations.

Edited by Pericles

• 6 years later...
  • 2 years later...
Does anyone know what the current position on the subject is?

Is the following valid?

http://www.rda.gov.lk/supported/aboutrda/Speed_Limits_1763_26%20(E).pdf

Your link is broken, but I believe this is the file you are referring to. As far as I remember, the last amendment was done in 2012, so the document is still in effect. On the contrary, this document doesn't contain anything about the Expressway speed limits, despite the country having two already. So we can't really call it an "updated" or a "complete" set of guidelines IMO.

• Like 1