• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Hyundai Engine vs Toyota Engine

Greetings,

I need all of your expertise on a matter of great urgency, I have a Hyundai Trajet with a Toyota 3C Turbo engine and would like to swap it to an original Hyundai Diesel Engine. I have been googling for the past whole week to find out if there is any place or person where I can do is, but yet to find one. 

My issues are

1. Which is better for the Trajet, Hyundai Original Diesel or Toyota 3c Turbo engine.

2. Where can i buy either of the above mentioned engines without being worried that I'm being ripped off

3. Who (Mechanic / garage) can I trust to do this swap for me at a reasonable price

4. What are the RMV legislations I need to look into.

Any and all sort of help are highly appreciated.

Cheers,

Segu

IMG_20171120_065835.jpg

11 hours ago, Shazly Suhair said:

Greetings,

I need all of your expertise on a matter of great urgency, I have a Hyundai Trajet with a Toyota 3C Turbo engine and would like to swap it to an original Hyundai Diesel Engine. I have been googling for the past whole week to find out if there is any place or person where I can do is, but yet to find one. 

My issues are

1. Which is better for the Trajet, Hyundai Original Diesel or Toyota 3c Turbo engine.

2. Where can i buy either of the above mentioned engines without being worried that I'm being ripped off

3. Who (Mechanic / garage) can I trust to do this swap for me at a reasonable price

Any and all sort of help are highly appreciated.

Cheers,

Segu

IMG_20171120_065835.jpg

Any reason you want to switch back to a Hyundai engine? If you don't have any problems with the engine keep it as it is rather than go through the whole process.

Legally you will have to show reason for the engine change as you will need to update the registration certificate.

Also sourcing parts would be easier for a Toyota engine than a Hyundai engine given the fact that not many Trajets would be running original Hyundai diesel engines.

• Thanks 1

Why would you not want a 3C-T ? Given the availability of parts and cost of doing an engine change It'd make a lot of sense to stick to the 3C. Not to mention the 2C and 3C's are generally reliable. 

12 hours ago, Shazly Suhair said:

1) I'd say the 3C given the swap was correctly done

2) Difficult to exactly mention  - check advertisements on the web/call the regular spare part joints check social media groups etc.

3) - 

4) IF the current 3C engine number is updated in the CR you need to take it to RMV and re-weigh the vehicle once the new engine has been swapped in. You will also need proof of purchase of the engine from a seller indicating the engine number. Also remember that the car should have no other modifications - i.e need to have stock wheels and make sure the car is properly functioning. RMV people tend to make  a fuss when you try to update the CR with either engine number or color.  @PreseaLover who might still be active in the forum had some experience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the reply, I guess I need to give a detailed description of my problems, the 3C which I have was an manual and about 4 years ago I converted it into automatic, since then it tends to overheat unless I drive on flat surface at 50-60 kmph, hence the decision to do the swap but couldn't decide which way to go..

1 hour ago, Shazly Suhair said:

Thank you all for the reply, I guess I need to give a detailed description of my problems, the 3C which I have was an manual and about 4 years ago I converted it into automatic, since then it tends to overheat unless I drive on flat surface at 50-60 kmph, hence the decision to do the swap but couldn't decide which way to go..

Not sure about the 3C engine comes with an ECU, but if it does the programming should be different to a manual, remember you are changing from say a 5 Speed to a 4 speed (with OD perhaps) gearbox so the engine tuning would be different. I would say get a good mechanic who knows about these things to sort it out for you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gummybr said:

Not sure about the 3C engine comes with an ECU, but if it does the programming should be different to a manual, remember you are changing from say a 5 Speed to a 4 speed (with OD perhaps) gearbox so the engine tuning would be different. I would say get a good mechanic who knows about these things to sort it out for you.

Any suggestions as to whom I can consult with... As I'm desperate for a proper solution

6 hours ago, hrm said:

It would be a pain to change everything back again unless you find a good mechanic competent with diesels especially Koreans. Btw what's the original engine it had? D4EA?

Dont think they originally came with Diesel engines, our fellows converted them to Toyota units for sure.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Gummybr said:

Dont think they originally came with Diesel engines, our fellows converted them to Toyota units for sure.

There are few original diesel ones but yes most of them are converts in SL.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Shazly Suhair said:

Not sure how you have lived with this same issue for 4 years!

Are the radiator fans working as they should?

Is the transmission used for the conversion driven in SL or driven in another country? 

Do you know where is the auto transmission cooler located, (track down the 2 lines coming from the transmission) If the transmission cooler is located at the bottom tank of the radiator, as a cheaper option you can try adding an external transmission cooler and see if the issue is going settle? (won't cost a fortune)

Regards,

JC

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, john cooper said:

Not sure how you have lived with this same issue for 4 years!

Are the radiator fans working as they should?

Is the transmission used for the conversion driven in SL or driven in another country? 

Do you know where is the auto transmission cooler located, (track down the 2 lines coming from the transmission) If the transmission cooler is located at the bottom tank of the radiator, as a cheaper option you can try adding an external transmission cooler and see if the issue is going settle? (won't cost a fortune)

Regards,

JC

Hi JC,

Yes the radiator fans are working fine, at the midway point both fans kick in, Not sure where the transmission was driven but we brought it from one of those auto spare shops stating "Japanese reconditioned items".. as for the lines yes it goes around starting from the bottom and according to various professionals its not an issue, but I changed the 2 core radiator to 3 core, added an additional fan to support the air-conditioning unit and cool the engine, replaced the radiator fan with higher rpm fans (I think it was from a Toyota dolphin van, not sure), for me I have played all the moves and finally feel like given a swap might be the only chance before I burn this car 😁😁

On 1/10/2023 at 2:35 PM, Shazly Suhair said:

Hi JC,

Yes the radiator fans are working fine, at the midway point both fans kick in, Not sure where the transmission was driven but we brought it from one of those auto spare shops stating "Japanese reconditioned items".. as for the lines yes it goes around starting from the bottom and according to various professionals its not an issue, but I changed the 2 core radiator to 3 core, added an additional fan to support the air-conditioning unit and cool the engine, replaced the radiator fan with higher rpm fans (I think it was from a Toyota dolphin van, not sure), for me I have played all the moves and finally feel like given a swap might be the only chance before I burn this car 😁😁

I do understand your frustration!

I think the main focus is to figure out if the overheating is caused by the engine or the transmission, don't underestimate, auto transmission boxes create a lot of heat, especially when they are slipping/ under heavy load.

I have had an Isuzu doing something the same which ended up with faulty transmission causing the engine to overheat.

"reconditioned" word used in SL incorrectly for parts used in Japan. That's BS to me when some part sellers on the Island mentioned "reconditioned"   😁😁

Do you know if the head gasket is not leaking? Have you tested the engine with a professional?

I would encourage you to get it checked, with an expert before make any other changes.

Regards,

JC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, john cooper said:

I do understand your frustration!

I think the main focus is to figure out if the overheating is caused by the engine or the transmission, don't underestimate, auto transmission boxes create a lot of heat, especially when they are slipping/ under heavy load.

I have had an Isuzu doing something the same which ended up with faulty transmission causing the engine to overheat.

"reconditioned" word used in SL incorrectly for parts used in Japan. That's BS to me when some part sellers on the Island mentioned "reconditioned"   😁😁

Do you know if the head gasket is not leaking? Have you tested the engine with a professional?

I would encourage you to get it checked, with an expert before make any other changes.

Regards,

JC

Hi JC, 

Thanks for helping me out, yes I have checked the head gasket and actually re did the engine (phasing, boring, etc) but it did not rectify the issue, I re-did the gear box last Feb and made it worse somehow, it just seems I need an exorcist to check and rectify the issue😁

But I'm willing to check it with any professional who can sort out the issue as long as he has some success story among the board..

Please do let me know if there is anyone in particular I can consult before I spend big bucks as I'm currently on a waiting list with a Hyundai mechanic from mahabage (Mr. Roshan) to replace it with an original Hyundai Trajet diesel engine but need to make sure I'm making the right decision

Cheers 

32 minutes ago, Shazly Suhair said:

Hi JC, 

Thanks for helping me out, yes I have checked the head gasket and actually re did the engine (phasing, boring, etc) but it did not rectify the issue, I re-did the gear box last Feb and made it worse somehow, it just seems I need an exorcist to check and rectify the issue😁

But I'm willing to check it with any professional who can sort out the issue as long as he has some success story among the board..

Please do let me know if there is anyone in particular I can consult before I spend big bucks as I'm currently on a waiting list with a Hyundai mechanic from mahabage (Mr. Roshan) to replace it with an original Hyundai Trajet diesel engine but need to make sure I'm making the right decision

Cheers 

I am sure you are missing a good technician to rectify the issue. Honestly speaking, I don't see much of a point in replacing it with a Genuine engine, since no one is sure where is the problem. What happens if you will get the same issue after replacing the engine??

I am not in Sri Lanka, so I am out of contact with the reputed technicians, especially for Korean made cars.

Hope someone will be able to help by recommending a place for you to diagnose the problem.

my gut feeling with your car issue is to do with the transmission (based on your information from the 1st 2 posts)

Regards,

JC

• Thanks 1

Agree with the other responses made here already about sticking with the 3C. As others have already mentioned, if your overheating started after converting it to automatic transmission, then it certainly could be with tuning as @Gummybr said (and by tuning I mean ECU tuning). If the ECU was not swapped or reprogrammed to suit the automatic transmission, it would definitely be inefficient in working with an auto.

Another possibility could be that the radiator on the car is of insufficient capacity now that the ATF lines are plumbed into it. This is consistent with what you describe is happening as the car would stay in overdrive when you are driving on flat ground around 60 km/h. 

On 1/11/2023 at 2:34 PM, john cooper said:

Couldn't agree more. The most (incorrectly) overused word when it comes to spare parts in Sri Lanka. It's funnier when sellers use it with parts that can't even be reconditioned, such as sealed ignition coils. :) 

Edited by Davy
  • Thanks 1