• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Helmets

GTAm

Question

• Answers 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Can anyone offer any advice on crash helmets? Are there imported helmets available here in SL? Or is it only the local stuff? I'd like to get something cool. Need to get one for track days.

There's a place near where I live down Hospital road- Kalubowila, Well just passing the hospital form nugegoda side towards Dehiwala it would be on your left hand side - can't miss it as there are some cool bikes too

Not too sure on the quality & price, brand was something in the likes of shoue :unsure:

Good luck

There's a place near where I live down Hospital road- Kalubowila, Well just passing the hospital form nugegoda side towards Dehiwala it would be on your left hand side - can't miss it as there are some cool bikes too

Not too sure on the quality & price, brand was something in the likes of shoue :unsure:

Good luck

Yes that another option. The guy who runs this shop is the brother of the guy who runs the other shop on Galle Road.

Both of them promote a brand called Yohe, which sells reasonable looking full-face helmets for Rs. 2,500 or thereabouts.

Prices start around 850 for half helmets and go all the way upto about 5000 for a full face helmet of highest quality. Most are local or Chinese made.

U guys do NOT wanna take helmet advise from madmax. If u guys see his helmet, u'd know why.

To post a picture, or not to post a picture ...... That is the question :lol:

there's a brand called Index, made in thailand and seems to be a good buy. I bough mine couple of years back for 6500, now cool bikes dude tells me it's about 4750... Yohe is slightly cheaper... i think 3500 and up...

You get very good helmets in Gay*n Mo*o*s maligawatta... they don't bring them all the time but once the asking price was 25k and up :P these are Arai helmets and the likes :)

U guys do NOT wanna take helmet advise from madmax. If u guys see his helmet, u'd know why.

To post a picture, or not to post a picture ...... That is the question :lol:

Machan,

are you refering the same case which i was refering ? If it is same, that is the reason i want to get his advise on helmets to a navigator for the off road ( sorry off the road ) sprint. :violent-smiley-099:

Edited by Grand Civic

He's making fun of my scooter helmet. BTW I don't wear a helmet in the car.

For a navigator I'd suggest a simple UPCo helmet without face cover

Edited by madmax

if we're talking about weird/funny/strange helmets...

I have a fighter pilot helmet from the desert storm...apparently worn on a british tornado fighter jet :)

cool helmet with two visors, O2 mask clips, speakers and microphone adaptor etc..

used to wear it on my XR a couple of times but the darn thing is heavy and after one nuwara eliya run had to use salon-pas to get rid of the neck pain :) :)

I have a fighter pilot helmet from the desert storm...apparently worn on a british tornado fighter jet :)

cool helmet with two visors, O2 mask clips, speakers and microphone adaptor etc..

used to wear it on my XR a couple of times but the darn thing is heavy and after one nuwara eliya run had to use salon-pas to get rid of the neck pain :) :)

Sounds like a cool object of desire. Any chance of showing us a pic?

So I take it there is no one who imports top notch brands for racing? Are there specific brands that are focussed on cars as opposed to bikes or is everything the same?

hay Ripper post some pics will ya...we love those kinda stuff :)

From where did you get this???

Sorry guys...somehow i've missed this thread. The helmet is in storage with my fishing stuff so it'll need a bit of cleaning and i will post some pics as soon as i get some free time at home :( Caught up with a $hitload of work and living in office :action-smiley-060:

MiniAce...

My pops was in Saudi Arabia during "desert storm" and i got some goodies from him :) The oxy-mask and the gas mask have gone missing from my inventory...still can't figure out how :( But the helmet's there :)

There was a serial number inside of the paddings probably the pilot's serail no. or whatever :)

will post some pics when i get the time...

btw...i also thought that i was the only one who had one of those :(

Yep!!!! Thought im the only one having em ;)

cool cool... i'm not a aero fanatic anyways :)

I've got plenty of fishing stuff though :) Many of those yes :angry-smiley-048:

He he... You talk about one of those hah :D Im talking about many of those ;)

MINIACE

Trackday helmets(from Arai)

Just why do they cost so much? How are they made and what tests do they have to pass? Roger Green takes an in-depth look at race helmets

By Roger Green August 2009

car_photo_321964_25.jpg

For the last six years I have been racing in an Arai GP5 helmet. Why? Because out of the different types this was the best fit, the most comfortable and the level of detail is at least as good as anything else available and there were a lot of F1 drivers wearing them. Chat to other racers and you’ll find they choose other brands for broadly similar reasons, and price usually comes into the mix too. Typically my choice was one of the most expensive, so as well as being a good match for my head I reckoned the cost must also have something to do with level of protection it offered. It had the required Snell standard sticker, so I bought it. I didn’t really know what that meant and I hadn’t a clue how they were made, it didn’t seem all that important at the time and I’m sure it’s the same for many other drivers. It’s crazy really, especially when you consider what these helmets are protecting, and with some of the accidents that have occurred recently it was definitely time I found out more.

A few weeks after firing off an email to Phoenix Distribution, the Arai importer for the UK, I found myself on a short Easyjet flight to Amsterdam, where, after transferring to a train I arrived an hour later in the small town of Hoevelaken, Arai’s European test centre, or as they call it the Arai Inspiration Centre (AIC). It’s a Japanese company, and all their helmets are still manufactured in Ohmiya, where the company was founded in 1937. By hand. This was a bit of a shock to me, I assumed the whole process would be mechanised and there would be a production line with shiny lids popping off the end ready to be boxed and exported. Apparently it’s not quite like that.

Each GP5 takes eighteen hours to produce (and it’s 28 for the new carbon GP6) and it’s hot, hard work as the individual layers are set inside moulds as hot as a bread oven. These outer shells are actually made slightly differently depending on which continent they are intended for as head shapes vary significantly between Asia, Europe and the USA. The quality of the outer shell is vital to resist penetration and abrasion and therefore once complete they are subjected to two inspections and if it fails either it is thrown away.

car_photo_321937_25.jpg

The polystyrene inner lining is made from one piece inside an Arai and its job is to act as safety cell, absorbing the impact of a crash. It does this by compressing the beads and slowing down the impact, which means the density on the polystyrene is absolutely crucial and therefore it varies around different parts of the head. Once the liner has been compressed, it is destroyed and will not be effective a second time. Finally there are the comfort fittings and the all important strap with its Double ‘D’ ring buckle to keep the whole thing secure.

Of course there are standards to meet. Or exceed in Arai’s case and the AIC is littered with machines every single one of them. Firstly these are concerned with conditioning, so the helmets are exposed to high and low temperatures, humidity, ultraviolet radiation, a constant water spray and various solvents. After all those exposures they then have to pass multiple shock absorption tests onto anvils of various shapes, there’s a rigidity test and penetration tests for both the helmet and visor, and finally flame resistance and chin strap tests.

car_photo_321943_25.jpg

Those minimum standards are set to be raised next year, but Arai proved to us they already impressively exceed these new levels. After witnessing all that, the price seems quite reasonable.

car_photo_321940_25.jpg

Source : http://www.evo.co.uk/trackdays/features/23...be071e40617aa96

Edited by Devinda_Z

So I take it there is no one who imports top notch brands for racing? Are there specific brands that are focussed on cars as opposed to bikes or is everything the same?

more to the point, what are the brands which are likely to be :

1) available here?

2) where can one find them

and most importantly

3) how much would they cost? :huh:

there's a brand called Index, made in thailand and seems to be a good buy. I bough mine couple of years back for 6500, now cool bikes dude tells me it's about 4750... Yohe is slightly cheaper... i think 3500 and up...

You get very good helmets in Gay*n Mo*o*s maligawatta... they don't bring them all the time but once the asking price was 25k and up :P these are Arai helmets and the likes :)

do the helmets sold locally (YOHE etc) provide sufficient safety in the event of a crash - as in are they designed for track use (even just for Karting lets say) or are they only meant to be worn when commuting daily on a conventional motor bike? :huh:

i was just checking online & the Arai helmets are over 50,000 for the most part :(