• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Suspension System - Shock Absorbers

dpbatagoda

Question

Hi dudes,

Recently I had a vehicle checkup at Toyota Lanka and the front suspension is diagonistic as Overhaul. But the estimated cost to replace it is for labour: 13,000 and for parts 80,000. I felt this is too much. My questions:

1. Do I have to replace the entire suspension system or only the Shocks is enough?

2. Since CR42 syspensions are not much comfortable, Can I use some other superior suspension system/Shocks?

3. how much is good pair of Shocks for front wheels?

4. What are the good brands for shocks and where can I buy?

Vehicle: Toyota Townace, CR42, 1999 model

Regards,

Dharshana

Toyota Lanka has the habit of replacing entire suspension components (Entire Suspension arm vs. only bushes)- which is why it ends up being so expensive. But you are left with a 100% overhauled suspension with genuine parts.

A garage can do a slightly cheaper job by replacing only what needs replacing. And labour might be a little cheaper.

As for shocks, you can get KYB equivalents from certain shop in Hyde Park Corner, which will save you some cash...

Hi dudes,

Recently I had a vehicle checkup at Toyota Lanka and the front suspension is diagonistic as Overhaul. But the estimated cost to replace it is for labour: 13,000 and for parts 80,000. I felt this is too much. My questions:

This is somewhat robbery in broad daylight! Solution KYB from Taas!

on the same topic, what is the best way to know, that your suspensions have gone for a six (besides the obvious jerkiness). i mean if you go for a mechanic, they'll prolly tell you to overhaul the whole system, even if things are not too bad. So how do you find out for yourselves, which parts needs replacing, or which parts have an issue (if any)..............

Well, its difficult for you to exactly know which parts need replacing without taking things apart, but I guess some general hints would be

Shock Absorber faliure

Indicator : Lack of damping, basically the car would bounce up and down as soon as it hits a pot hole !

In the old hydraulic type shocks if you start to feel that the dampers are not absorbing the shock properly you can lift up the rubber boots in each shock and check for liquid leakage and identify which shock(s) have gone bust. Remember shocks must always be replaced in pairs.

Steering rack problems

Indicators : Rattling noise when you hit pot holes, steering wavering at speeds, pulling to one side, steering play

Suspension bushes / ball joints etc

rattling noises especially when hitting pot holes, sometimes intermittent noise, difficult to figure out which bush etc without close inspection or dismantling. If the lower arm bushes are gone, its usually a loud thud every time your vehicle goes in to a pot hole

mind you some times these rattling noises are nothing to do with suspension but engine mounts !.

Hey guys hope this is not a dead thread..wanted to ask some questions on kyb shock

..first for a hilux 107 what would you recommend ?

..in kyb site http://www.kyb.com/products.htm they recommend "The KYB MonoMax" for trucks off road use..but it seems it cant be found in sl?

Motorcade has a brand called RANCHO avialable - made for 4x4's

a quick question... is it possible to change from spring leaf system to shock absorbers????

i presume you mean leaf to coil-spring...

yes its possible, i've heard of cases where old 4DR5s were converted, dont know the exact details, or people/garages who do the conversion.

err.. heh heh... yeah... coil springs.... not so good with those terms... i'm talking about a kind of old (1996) station wagon. and is it a huge process, the conversion?????

as Dilesh mentioned such suspension modifications are made on 4x4's...

but i personally have not heard of anyone doing such a swap on a car :mellow:

...this is wishful thinking, but hypothetically if there is a higher grade version of the same model of car built on the same platform , which originally came with coil springs , wouldn't the components be interchangable or fittable in some way after some work??

:huh:

unlike a 4x4 which comes with a chassis it might not be as easy a conversion a a car, considering all the reenforcements you'll have to do to the areas where the spring's head rests.. etc... and with Sri Lankan roads where even factory springs tend to be pushed to the limit, its a bit uncertain how a locally crafted suspension system will hold.

The only advantage that the springs will give you is a softer ride.. unless you're planning on keeping that car for a very very long time, the suspension conversion WOULD take a reasonable chunk out of the car's resale value...

Btw what's the car you're hoping to do the conversion on?

as Dilesh mentioned such suspension modifications are made on 4x4's...

but i personally have not heard of anyone doing such a swap on a car :mellow:

...this is wishful thinking, but hypothetically if there is a higher grade version of the same model of car built on the same platform , which originally came with coil springs , wouldn't the components be interchangable or fittable in some way after some work??

:huh:

gosh... how clumsy of me!! didn't see this post... :action-smiley-060:

that's exactly what i was thinking.... since there are some models with the other type of suspension is it possible to swap the parts or something....

gosh... how clumsy of me!! didn't see this post... :action-smiley-060:

that's exactly what i was thinking.... since there are some models with the other type of suspension is it possible to swap the parts or something....

well i can see your logic - but haven't heard of it being done on a car... must ask about n see...

must talk to a few mechanics n see..

Motorcade has a brand called RANCHO avialable - made for 4x4's

Thanks. But seems to be expensive around 9k each. Got the both kyb for less than that. FYI its the mono tube(hard) not the OEM shock that i got and it seems to have improved my breaks a bit, but not much diff i felt

Guys I am in a dilemma to deside change the shock absorbers or not. I get some rattle sounds ( dug .. dug .. dug ..) when going in damaged roads. One EK3 user said its normal with EK3s. No visible damages or wear in bushes or components observed during the service.

How do I figureout to change the shock absorbers or not.

Yeah you tend to get those suspension noises- check the steering rack end and upper arm bushes before considering the shocks..

Guys I am in a dilemma to deside change the shock absorbers or not. I get some rattle sounds ( dug .. dug .. dug ..) when going in damaged roads. One EK3 user said its normal with EK3s. No visible damages or wear in bushes or components observed during the service.

How do I figureout to change the shock absorbers or not.

Edited by Elvis_Pil

well my carina had the same situ...one mechanic just by putting pressure on both sides of front shocks told the were not good and to replace them...

called Taas and the price was 18k...later on a friends advice did shock testing to find out shocks were good. had to replace shock boots n razors later though only 6k for all..

Hi Guys, need some help with bushes in the suspension system for EK3.

I am gonna change bushes. Except for uper arm, lower arm bushes, is there any other bush that I want to change? for example where shock absorber mounts to the body of the vehicle, etc.

well my carina had the same situ...one mechanic just by putting pressure on both sides of front shocks told the were not good and to replace them...

called Taas and the price was 18k...later on a friends advice did shock testing to find out shocks were good. had to replace shock boots n razors later though only 6k for all..

WHere can you get the shocks tested ?