• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best reliable 4WD Truck or Ute in auto

On 5/24/2024 at 1:29 AM, john cooper said:

Dad is not a gasoline fan, low the low end torque of a diesel.

In that case a 120 is out. 

OT- is a Diesel engine worth the 2-3 mil premium? Not just the Prado. Most diesel variants ask crazy money.

8 hours ago, fiat fan said:

is a Diesel engine worth the 2-3 mil premium? Not just the Prado. Most diesel variants ask crazy money

Depends on the use.

However, in SL the diesels are pricier because import duties were higher (and still is ?) for diesels.

Update:

RMV is requesting hard copies to update their system as they seem to think they haven't seen them before for this specific vehicle therefore the status in their system is “Unknown”

Previous Finance company said they handed in the documents, but the Insurance said they have no details about tax papers.

RMV is like G numbers that have been issued to all sorts of vehicles including tractors in the early days of the new number system and there used to be a lot of 2 wheels converted to 3 wheels and maybe 2 to 4.

I am not sure people should laugh or cry

2 hours ago, john cooper said:

First laugh...very very hard.

Then cry for where our beloved country has headed to. Seriously...it seems to have gotten worst. 2 wheel vs 4 wheel I thought it was a matter of the actual number of wheels and not the drive system.  If so how on earth can someone turn a 2 wheeled vehicle (i.e. a motorcycle) in to a pickup/truck.

Went to the Registrar General's office yesterday. They were issuing tokens for people to go up to the counter. The young people, including some A/L kids who were from a prestigious school couldn't figure out what the numbers were for and crowded the counters until they got yelled and asked to leave.

Then last year the Registrar General office staff asked me how I was born because I don't have a birth certificate in their system. I mean..I was standing right there in front of them. Took a good minute or two for them to start laughing with me.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, john cooper said:

Update:

RMV is requesting hard copies to update their system as they seem to think they haven't seen them before for this specific vehicle therefore the status in their system is “Unknown”

Previous Finance company said they handed in the documents, but the Insurance said they have no details about tax papers.

RMV is like G numbers that have been issued to all sorts of vehicles including tractors in the early days of the new number system and there used to be a lot of 2 wheels converted to 3 wheels and maybe 2 to 4.

What a load of BS. For sure that vehicle has changed hands before meaning the taxes were paid. Just finding ways to make underhand money.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, iRage said:

First laugh...very very hard.

Then cry for where our beloved country has headed to. Seriously...it seems to have gotten worst. 2 wheel vs 4 wheel I thought it was a matter of the actual number of wheels and not the drive system.  If so how on earth can someone turn a 2 wheeled vehicle (i.e. a motorcycle) in to a pickup/truck.

Went to the Registrar General's office yesterday. They were issuing tokens for people to go up to the counter. The young people, including some A/L kids who were from a prestigious school couldn't figure out what the numbers were for and crowded the counters until they got yelled and asked to leave.

Then last year the Registrar General office staff asked me how I was born because I don't have a birth certificate in their system. I mean..I was standing right there in front of them. Took a good minute or two for them to start laughing with me.

It is surprising to hear but they may have seen the cases, therefore they raised concerns about G numbers with missing tax papers.

On the other hand this is another opportunity for them to exchange some papers to notes lol

Latest on this.

Dad has found another truck and he settled on it, hopefully picking up today.

It wasn't his choice because it was ruined by someone at some point by adding non functional stuff (Blue & Red lights used by police, non functional VHF Arial, siren horn. Since they all cosmetic he is decided to go ahade with it finally.

Not sure why all of them installed on a 25 year old truck by the previs owner. lol

I'll post some pictures later and thank you all for your support on this.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, john cooper said:

Here it is guys

Glad it's a TZ trim 

e3a08a70-c4c9-452f-8a7c-5f9d084aa52d.jpeg

She looks nice. When you said it had weird stuff stuck on it, I was expecting it to be a lot worse. Congrats to your dad.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, iRage said:

She looks nice. When you said it had weird stuff stuck on it, I was expecting it to be a lot worse. Congrats to your dad.

Dad told them to take the lights and horns out before pick up.

Next week's preventive maintenance list:

Alternator and starter motor service

Replace the Radiator, Water pump and Thermostat with new coolant 

Lower ball joint replacement 

Genuine heater plug replacement.

The truck is on 17” wheels with 3” lift kit which we might put back to the original springs and wheels, depending on how good the lift job is.

Cheers,

JC

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Planning to send a box full of parts for the Prado.

Does anyone of you know if would be able to send an Automotive Battery to Sri Lanka??

Prices for them are cheap as chips in here but it cost an arm and a leg on the island.

1 hour ago, john cooper said:

Does anyone of you know if would be able to send an Automotive Battery to Sri Lanka??

Depends on how you send them. Planes are a no no for automotive batteries. Due to potentially corrosive materials in them there is a blanket ban on it all (same with shock absorbers). Besides, since costs are determined by weight, air freighting an auto battery can be cost prohibitive (depending on the battery itself).

Your option will be to ship it. You will have to pay duty at customs. But shipping something just that small does not make sense. The minimum shipping size is 1 cubic meter. If you give just the battery to someone on a consignment basis it will still cost you about the same. I feel the cost savings will be minimal. The benefit would be that you will have a wider choice. (also depending on where you buy it from locally you might have the added benefit of a X years warranty and battery servicing as well. In SL the latter might come in handy).

My advice is if you want to send a battery, do it with a lot of other parts as well. Good parts in SL are hard to come by, and when you do, it tends to get unnecessarily pricey.

• Thanks 1

On 6/10/2024 at 2:11 PM, iRage said:

Depends on how you send them. Planes are a no no for automotive batteries. Due to potentially corrosive materials in them there is a blanket ban on it all (same with shock absorbers). Besides, since costs are determined by weight, air freighting an auto battery can be cost prohibitive (depending on the battery itself).

Your option will be to ship it. You will have to pay duty at customs. But shipping something just that small does not make sense. The minimum shipping size is 1 cubic meter. If you give just the battery to someone on a consignment basis it will still cost you about the same. I feel the cost savings will be minimal. The benefit would be that you will have a wider choice. (also depending on where you buy it from locally you might have the added benefit of a X years warranty and battery servicing as well. In SL the latter might come in handy).

My advice is if you want to send a battery, do it with a lot of other parts as well. Good parts in SL are hard to come by, and when you do, it tends to get unnecessarily pricey.

It will be sea cargo, I should have mentioned that.

Each battery is about 18000  LKR so for two it will be below 40k and on the island one of the batteies would cost more than that.

Don't want to take a risk, so I won't include batteries.

The batteries tested over 70% each so no need to replace them immediately.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/28/2024 at 4:30 AM, john cooper said:

Update:

Sorry for Hijacking your thread, but need to clear this up since I'm also missing in-between tax paper (I think i only got 6 papers during transfer. Final one is in place. not sure why RMV didn't make any noise back then, perhaps there's a Final one in place?). so when you want to transfer do we have to submit these with MTA forms or just RMV casually saying good to have them? Asking since really want to avoid bayyas asking "Mahaththaya kola adu hinda gana adu karala denna" type of talk. not want to sell my car in near future but asking just in case to avoid the trouble.

7 hours ago, Ruslan said:

Sorry for Hijacking your thread, but need to clear this up since I'm also missing in-between tax paper (I think i only got 6 papers during transfer. Final one is in place. not sure why RMV didn't make any noise back then, perhaps there's a Final one in place?). so when you want to transfer do we have to submit these with MTA forms or just RMV casually saying good to have them? Asking since really want to avoid bayyas asking "Mahaththaya kola adu hinda gana adu karala denna" type of talk. not want to sell my car in near future but asking just in case to avoid the trouble.

It was more of a good to have thing and ours transferred to the Dad’s name.

We are being told the 31, 32, 61, 64, 65, G, H, and J number registered SUV’s wont be able to complete one day's transfer as the RMV investigating a bit of the history of the vehicle.

So if your vehicle matches any of the above criteria then expect a bit of a delay.

Regards,

JC

• Like 1

2 hours ago, john cooper said:

It was more of a good to have thing and ours transferred to the Dad’s name.

We are being told the 31, 32, 61, 64, 65, G, H, and J number registered SUV’s wont be able to complete one day's transfer as the RMV investigating a bit of the history of the vehicle.

So if your vehicle matches any of the above criteria then expect a bit of a delay.

Regards,

JC

Thanks, Mine is a K series.. 👍

Edited by Ruslan

11 hours ago, Ruslan said:

If you handed over 7 papers you should ask them. Better to get a RMV tax printout and keep for future as when it comes to next owner they will ask for it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gummybr said:

If you handed over 7 papers you should ask them. Better to get a RMV tax printout and keep for future as when it comes to next owner they will ask for it.

As i Remember they didn't asked for 7 Receipts at that time. whomever checked it, looked for the final receipt and didn't make any fuzz. this was a 1 day transfer back in 2018. by the way how do we get a Tax printout, I believe we can request this over from their counter?

37 minutes ago, Ruslan said:

As i Remember they didn't asked for 7 Receipts at that time. whomever checked it, looked for the final receipt and didn't make any fuzz. this was a 1 day transfer back in 2018. by the way how do we get a Tax printout, I believe we can request this over from their counter?

Tax counter at the RMV, I saw somewhere and was told by another person that sometimes the RMV will ask for originals even if the tax printout is present, maybe it is with regard to the older vehicles.

• Like 1