• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Corolla, Vios Comparison

maikk99

Hi

can u experts give me some comments on the toyota corolla 121, toyota vios

I m planning to buy a one in the next month and my budget will be 2.5 Mil- 2.7 mil

I looked for couple of options

toyota corolla 121 G Grade- 2002 models ( JX-XXXX numbers)

toyota vios 2004, 2005 K numbers

Nissan Sylphy Bluebird- KB-XXXX-

there are two types of vios- S grade and E grade- pls let me know the differences

also let me know the fuel efficiency and the resale value

Also are these good as daily runners ( i have to travel about 70kms a day)

thanks a lot for your help

mike

the S grade vios has a digital dash, and minor cosmetic exterior differences like chrome handles etc. the difference between E and S is about 100k.

i think you should go for the corolla as its a bigger car and has a good resale value. i hear it does well on petrol too

According to my knowledge, the major differences between Toyota Vios S Grade and E Grade includes ,

1. The material of interior trim (dashboard and door panels) - In E grade you can get the black and silver interior whereas in S grade you can have the Teak interior.

2. Fog lights - I have seen most of the S grade Vios come with the original fog lights but the E grades are not. But anyway the fog light thing is not an issue as you can buy a good quality (original like) fog light set for a price around 7000 rs from Darl*y Road or you can bring one down from Singapore for a further lesser price. I bought a set of original type fog lights for my corolla and installed it year ago. They looked like the original. No one can say they aren't original at the first glance.

And as mentioned in the above post, digital dash board and etc............ things also includes to make a difference between S and E grades, though I dont know about those options exactly.

When toyota corolla and vios is compared, I can comment as follows. (I previously had a NZE121 corolla 2001 year car - Imported from Singapore)

Roominess - Toyota corolla is way roomier than the vios. And corolla has the best look too.

The engine is the same in NZE121 1.5 L corolla (there is a 1.3L engined corolla too. That model is NZE120) and Vios (1.5L). The same engine with the VVT-i mechanism.

When corolla and vios is compared, the corollas interior and exterior look and options included are way better than the vios (corolla has more options). As an example if you take the dash boards of both cars, which has the richest look. Obviously its the corolla's. If we take corolla's alone, the G grade is the most superior grade with the 1.5 L engine. (The luxel is lot more superior but it has a 1.8L engine)

Toyota Vios S grade interior

p1010006sai07dm9.gif

Toyota Vios E Grade interior

p1010003sai03km1.gif

Toyota Corolla 2002 - G grade interior

toyotacorolla369dm7.jpg

Vios

p1010001sai01yl0.gif

toyotaviostk8.jpg

Fuel consumption of the corolla

In the corolla car I had, I didnt get a very satisfactory fuel consumption. It was around 9 - 11 kmpl in Colombo, regardless of how well I drove. I believe it is because of the 1.5 leter engine and my car had the auto transmission. (And later I got to know Singaporean corollas are driven so much in singapore compared to Japanese domestic corollas. And therefore, sometimes the mileages are rolled when they sell those in Sri Lanka.) I'm not sure the same thing has been done for Vios as well since they are also imported from Singapore. (there are no Japanese domestic Vios) Apart form the consumption, I also had to spend very much on costly repairs within a short period of time including replacement of all four shocks, repairs in front brake calipers...........etc. The car had just 22000 kms when I bought it and I didn't even drive it much.

:action-smiley-060:

So Im now really curios about singaporean cars since I have had a bad experience. But Im not saying vios is bad cos there are so many on the road and even the car's price is reasonable. So its upto you to search more and make the decision wisely. The other AL guys please comment on what you think about this.

If you are going for the corolla, if you budget allows, try to go for atleast 2003 early car as it has got a new front grill, new rear crystal lights and specially the three head rests at rear seats which are highly marketable options in the current market when you are going to sell your car later. (Most of the people like the corollas with rear crystal lights and when you say 2003 it has a good recognition. 2002 models are fading away little by little. ). Anyway this 2003 model is bit expensive and I doubt you can buy a 2003 corolla for around 2.7m. But in my opinion, since you have to drive everyday 70kms, which roughly goes upto 1500 kms per month, if you travel 5 days a week. newer the car lesser the troubles and vise versa. Anyway I agree toyota's are the most reliable cars.

Regarding your choice for a nissan sylphy bluebird, I think it has the 1.8 L engine so the fuel consumption is questionable when compared to the 1.5 L corolla :unsure: .

I wish you good luck to buy a good car!

Wish you a happy motoring future too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:) :) :):rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Edited by Car Maniac

thank you very much Car Maniac

It cleared most of my doubts

also thank you very much others

According to my knowledge, the major differences between Toyota Vios S Grade and E Grade includes ,

1. The material of interior trim (dashboard and door panels) - In E grade you can get the black and silver interior whereas in S grade you can have the Teak interior.

2. Fog lights - I have seen most of the S grade Vios come with the original fog lights but the E grades are not. But anyway the fog light thing is not an issue as you can buy a good quality (original like) fog light set for a price around 7000 rs from Darl*y Road or you can bring one down from Singapore for a further lesser price. I bought a set of original type fog lights for my corolla and installed it year ago. They looked like the original. No one can say they aren't original at the first glance.

And as mentioned in the above post, digital dash board and etc............ things also includes to make a difference between S and E grades, though I dont know about those options exactly.

When toyota corolla and vios is compared, I can comment as follows. (I previously had a NZE121 corolla 2001 year car - Imported from Singapore)

Roominess - Toyota corolla is way roomier than the vios. And corolla has the best look too.

The engine is the same in NZE121 1.5 L corolla (there is a 1.3L engined corolla too. That model is NZE120) and Vios (1.5L). The same engine with the VVT-i mechanism.

When corolla and vios is compared, the corollas interior and exterior look and options included are way better than the vios (corolla has more options). As an example if you take the dash boards of both cars, which has the richest look. Obviously its the corolla's. If we take corolla's alone, the G grade is the most superior grade with the 1.5 L engine. (The luxel is lot more superior but it has a 1.8L engine)

Toyota Vios S grade interior

p1010006sai07dm9.gif

Toyota Vios E Grade interior

p1010003sai03km1.gif

Toyota Corolla 2002 - G grade interior

toyotacorolla369dm7.jpg

Vios

p1010001sai01yl0.gif

toyotaviostk8.jpg

Fuel consumption of the corolla

In the corolla car I had, I didnt get a very satisfactory fuel consumption. It was around 9 - 11 kmpl in Colombo, regardless of how well I drove. I believe it is because of the 1.5 leter engine and my car had the auto transmission. (And later I got to know Singaporean corollas are driven so much in singapore compared to Japanese domestic corollas. And therefore, sometimes the mileages are rolled when they sell those in Sri Lanka.) I'm not sure the same thing has been done for Vios as well since they are also imported from Singapore. (there are no Japanese domestic Vios) Apart form the consumption, I also had to spend very much on costly repairs within a short period of time including replacement of all four shocks, repairs in front brake calipers...........etc. The car had just 22000 kms when I bought it and I didn't even drive it much.

:action-smiley-060:

So Im now really curios about singaporean cars since I have had a bad experience. But Im not saying vios is bad cos there are so many on the road and even the car's price is reasonable. So its upto you to search more and make the decision wisely. The other AL guys please comment on what you think about this.

If you are going for the corolla, if you budget allows, try to go for atleast 2003 early car as it has got a new front grill, new rear crystal lights and specially the three head rests at rear seats which are highly marketable options in the current market when you are going to sell your car later. (Most of the people like the corollas with rear crystal lights and when you say 2003 it has a good recognition. 2002 models are fading away little by little. ). Anyway this 2003 model is bit expensive and I doubt you can buy a 2003 corolla for around 2.7m. But in my opinion, since you have to drive everyday 70kms, which roughly goes upto 1500 kms per month, if you travel 5 days a week. newer the car lesser the troubles and vise versa. Anyway I agree toyota's are the most reliable cars.

Regarding your choice for a nissan sylphy bluebird, I think it has the 1.8 L engine so the fuel consumption is questionable when compared to the 1.5 L corolla :unsure: .

I wish you good luck to buy a good car!

Wish you a happy motoring future too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:) :) :):rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Considering your choices and heavy traveling, I'd be picking the Bluebird. Specially if its a diesel. Brand preference aside, Toyota seats are not comfortable places to be in for long stretches. In general.

But it depends on the price you are looking at for that Bluebird.

Hi

can u experts give me some comments on the toyota corolla 121, toyota vios

I m planning to buy a one in the next month and my budget will be 2.5 Mil- 2.7 mil

I looked for couple of options

toyota corolla 121 G Grade- 2002 models ( JX-XXXX numbers)

toyota vios 2004, 2005 K numbers

Nissan Sylphy Bluebird- KB-XXXX-

there are two types of vios- S grade and E grade- pls let me know the differences

also let me know the fuel efficiency and the resale value

Also are these good as daily runners ( i have to travel about 70kms a day)

thanks a lot for your help

mike

Try 121 G Grade. it is the best choice. but i can't sure you will be able to find a 121 G Grade- 2002 model within 2.5 Mil- 2.7 mil

good luck.

i got an E grade and it looks like the S grade in ur description and pics..... :unsure:

Yes. The first pic is an E grade. It hasn't got Digital speedometer too.

:violent-smiley-030::violent-smiley-099: Sorry guys. then I might have mistaken. These pics are old ones I had in my computer, which I went through in the net while searching to buy a vios car. I dont know whether I have jumbled S grade and E grade. But Im pretty sure these two are the only two interior trim levels available for the vios as I have taken those pics from a singaporean car web site, as I can remember (and also Im pretty sure both of those interiors shown there are from Vios cars).

Very sorry if I misled any of you guys. Specially the person who started this thread who seeks to buy a car. Sorry mate. I have commented there wrong. :action-smiley-060: :action-smiley-060: :action-smiley-060:

A new car ad posted at AL proves the eroror I have made. There are E grade vios with teak trim.

Check this Vios ad

And specially thanks to the two guys who showed the error I made. :alc:

• 2 weeks later...
Considering your choices and heavy traveling, I'd be picking the Bluebird. Specially if its a diesel. Brand preference aside, Toyota seats are not comfortable places to be in for long stretches. In general.

But it depends on the price you are looking at for that Bluebird.

I assume you are referring to the EU14 Eprise ? How much do those go for these days ?

All vios models have rear discs as standard whereas only the high grade corollas get rear discs.

That's not a major problem though!!

Yeah you could Swap the rear drums with Disc brakes for a lesser price (Take a ride around Delkanda area). planing to do that in my Corolla. you need to get the Rear hub and disc along with the E-Brake cable.

carpictures001oh1.jpg

carpictures023xk5.jpg

(note: this isn't from a Corolla)

about the interior, even i prefer Nissan's interiors they look more comfier than Toyota's. specially in Bluebird Sylphy got an awesome interior.

Yeah you could Swap the rear drums with Disc brakes for a lesser price (Take a ride around Delkanda area). planing to do that in my Corolla. you need to get the Rear hub and disc along with the E-Brake cable.

carpictures001oh1.jpg

carpictures023xk5.jpg

(note: this isn't from a Corolla)

about the interior, even i prefer Nissan's interiors they look more comfier than Toyota's. specially in Bluebird Sylphy got an awesome interior.

Ruslan ? how do you find rear discs which match your current suspension set up if the car does not originally come with rear disc brakes ?

Ruslan ? how do you find rear discs which match your current suspension set up if the car does not originally come with rear disc brakes ?

Normally in 2003 models (With Rear Disc), its the same suspension setup in the Drum brake model. there's no difference at all. (difference will be only in Hub and the E-Brake cable) its the same with EP87 starlet. you can fix the starlet GT's rear Disc brakes to normal EP 87 As well. same goes to the EP 90 & Glanza brake Swap. have seen this done in many Carinas which they normally put Carina GTs Rear brake into normal Si, Ti my road models. no problem at all. guess its a common swap. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ruslan

Hey, I was really interested in swapping my car's rear drum brake to disc. It's a Toyota KE72, but I guess it's a expensive & time consuming job!

hmmm don't thake this the wrong way machan, but don't you reocn you'd be better off getting an old Ford as project car and doing some tweaks over time rather than trying to make changes to an everyday commuter?

at the end of the day i don't think your gonna gain much interms of resale value making changes along those lines to a conventional run about - all its gonna do is cost you , given that these might not be straight forward jobs and there is no guarantee that it'll come out right either...

just doesn't add up the trouble you'll need to go to for this..

Hey, I was really interested in swapping my car's rear drum brake to disc. It's a Toyota KE72, but I guess it's a expensive & time consuming job!

Jaliya what Ruslan suggests is a direct swap which is quite easy if your car model had disk brakes as an option.

Its a very complicated process if it didn't as you then need to forge and make a rear disc brake kit to fit your car and the effort is only worthwhile if you are going to race the car. The rear drums are more than adequate for road use.

All vios models have rear discs as standard whereas only the high grade corollas get rear discs.

That's not a major problem though!!

I should add up something here. As what I have seen, this rear disk brake option is not only belongs to the Vios. This rear disk brakes are included in all the Singaporean Toyotas as standard. As an example, all the Singapore model corollas like XLi, LX, LX Limited and GLi grades are equipped with disk at rear. Vios is also a Singaporean model car. What all they have in common is the rear disk brakes and also the leather seats. I think that is what the demand and standard options in Singapore, and thats why all Singaporean corollas and vios are equipped with that. And believe me, not even one Japanese domestic model Corolla comes with Rear disk brakes, if you observe several cars carefully.

• 1 month later...

Hi All

after lot of effort bought a toyota corolla 122- Luxel grade version,

It is with 1.8 vvti engine

and surprisingly is doing well on fuel. any similar feed back on luxel grade cars

PS: Thank you all guys for the valuable support given

Hi All

and surprisingly is doing well on fuel. any similar feed back on luxel grade cars

Congratilations on your buy! its very comfy car. make sure you put iridium plugs when you going to replace them. did a fuel system cleaning and tuning at agents on my car. got wonderful results. and be sure only to use T-IV fluid on tranny. if its mixed with Dexron III, Disaster!. by the way how much did u pay for it? :rolleyes:

Edited by Ruslan

Congratilations on your buy! its very comfy car. make sure you put iridium plugs when you going to replace them. did a fuel system cleaning and tuning at agents on my car. got wonderful results. and be sure only to use T-IV fluid on tranny. if its mixed with Dexron III, Disaster!. by the way how much did u pay for it? :rolleyes:

Thanks

well I paid 28 on that. WP-JT numbers.

your information is useful

u mean to say that transmission oil should be T-IV oil. where can i purchase that ?

and where can the fuel system get cleaned? agents?

thanks

Thanks

well I paid 28 on that. WP-JT numbers.

your information is useful

u mean to say that transmission oil should be T-IV oil. where can i purchase that ?

and where can the fuel system get cleaned? agents?

thanks

wow that's a good price indeed in these days. i bought mine for like 27 about 8 months ago and its JY plates Black one.

both of the services can be done at agents. pretty much reasonable. cant remember the exact figures. fuel system cleaning is done by clean park people and in 3M as well. there's a equivalent for T-IV is available at Mobil people. its called "Mobil ATF 3309" just check on your ATF dipstick it says "TYPE T-IV"

Edited by Ruslan

Hi All

hows the fuel consumption? figures pls?