• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What Is The Best Car Within 14 Lakhs

Question

Hi all..

Just wanted to know a few details abt the following auto geared cars.

Mitsubishi Lancer CK1 or 2 ..an english number, probably models between 97 and 2000. Could i find it in the range of 14

What is the best car i could find within 14 lakhs?

There are some 97 Corolla models AE111 and AE 110 and Mazda 323 English numbers some 99 model or so

In terms of fuel efficiency which is the best? How much does it do within Colombo?

Pl do let me know..and anyone who had the above cars..pl do share ur experience with it

thanks all

• Answers 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

how can this be man... Isn't t he sprinter the most "premium" version of corollas of that generations... simillar to what's a "G" grade with 121's...

Other than the body parts being different...almost all sprinters were full option with added things like speedlock etc from the factory itself where you do get corollas without the add ons...

As far as i've seen Sprinters for sale on the market, and the fact that i happen drive one and have looked at quite a few corollas before settling on the sprinter... they do sell for more than your average corolla of that age.

would like hear how you figured out that they don't have a good second hand demand and why?

do you have a sprinrter ripper?, is it automatic?how many kn's does it do per litre within colombo?Do let me know..

do you have a sprinrter ripper?, is it automatic?how many kn's does it do per litre within colombo?Do let me know..

One of my friends have a sprinter (auto, GC ****) and he claims it does arond 12kmpl in colombo.

14 is what my friend said but he uses it within matale, and traffic is not as much in col..pl do comment on presea if u all know anything..

and parts of mistsubishi and mazda..is it expensive?

Mitsubishi is a good car and like all have said – a MX touring will be a best option. Having sporty looks, resell value and fuel efficiency are not characteristics that came in 1 package most of the time.

My humble opinion is

Safe mode : (Fuel efficacy)

Stick to a car with low CC and drive at a reasonable speed with out been a hindrance to other motorist by driving at 20 in the middle of the road on a 2 way lane.

Speed mode: Get a flashy car with the looks and drive it with out too much of concern about the fuel as that was not your 1st choice. Still for all refer the above – no use having a flashy car and driving it like a granny been a pain in the ass to others.

Mazda- butterfly model (1997-1999) & Mazda Bj’s (1999 -2003) would be in that range. Auto would do less but a manual should give you some where about 10-11 Kmpl – on the 1500CC – the 1600CC will not do that well. Mine is a 1.6CC and does very low 8.5 Kmpl but she can rip the roads when it’s needed.

Then there is the human factor of enjoying the drive- I call it the zoom zoom factor (yes copied from Mazda) With a Mazda you have that feeling compared to your standard Toyota corollas- NO disrespect to a corolla –bloody reliable and trust worthy car that does wonders on mileage

All the best

yep but it's manual... economy greatly varies on my mood :)

if i change gears around 2000+rpm... i'm getting about 11-12 in colombo, ac on, 2 folks in the car

The economy goes down when i change gears around 4000k :)

outstation the best i've got so far was a shocking 17kmpl.... drove to habarana lodge from colombo early morning with almost no traffic...

I wasn't able to match that ever since though :P I'm guessing the car is doing 14-15 in open roads...

mostly it's the way you drive IMO...

Mitsubishi is a good car and like all have said – a MX touring will be a best option. Having sporty looks, resell value and fuel efficiency are not characteristics that came in 1 package most of the time.

My humble opinion is

Safe mode : (Fuel efficacy)

Stick to a car with low CC and drive at a reasonable speed with out been a hindrance to other motorist by driving at 20 in the middle of the road on a 2 way lane.

Speed mode: Get a flashy car with the looks and drive it with out too much of concern about the fuel as that was not your 1st choice. Still for all refer the above – no use having a flashy car and driving it like a granny been a pain in the ass to others.

Mazda- butterfly model (1997-1999) & Mazda Bj’s (1999 -2003) would be in that range. Auto would do less but a manual should give you some where about 10-11 Kmpl – on the 1500CC – the 1600CC will not do that well. Mine is a 1.6CC and does very low 8.5 Kmpl but she can rip the roads when it’s needed.

Then there is the human factor of enjoying the drive- I call it the zoom zoom factor (yes copied from Mazda) With a Mazda you have that feeling compared to your standard Toyota corollas- NO disrespect to a corolla –bloody reliable and trust worthy car that does wonders on mileage

All the best

Thanks loadz..are mazda parts expensive? is the butterfly mazda model with the connected tail lights? is it part of familia?

Thanks loadz..are mazda parts expensive? is the butterfly mazda model with the connected tail lights? is it part of familia?

Not at all they are quite freely available - Yes the butterfly (As most people call it) are the ones with the full light and bit larger at the 3 ends - the previous model also had the full light but was more square shape than that of the butterfly.

Well familia is the Japanese version (Asian) and the 323 are more of the European version. All of them have the same parts and stuff. The ford lazser has the same engine as the Mazda. There is no major price variance between Familia or a 323

Yeah FB14 does very well with fuel but i dont fancy the look that much..i have a friend who sez it does 14 within the city.

Just wanted to know, what abt honda city?i saw a car within that range..in terms of looks mitsubishi suited my choice best..and mazda, any ideas abt the figures for mazda?

is it true that mitsubishi has expensive parts?

Any idea abt spare parts for mazda?

and howz nissan presea..in terms of looks its great..howz the petrol consumption?

and what abt toyota sprinter?how is that..english numbers of that too can be found within 14 may b 15 max..i think..howz that?

By the way i too read that AE111 has a 1300 engine

I can highly recommend a well maintained FB14 or an SB14 (The diesel one). from personal experiance, the manual gear FB 14 does 10/l in colombo and 14 outstation... provided unnecessary accelaration is avoided...

ex saloon or super saloon is basically about options such as power mirrors, shutters, etc..

if you look around, there'll be the 98/99 model ones with original alloys, crystal headlights, fog lamps, etc... giving a much better outlook...

but why don't you consider a vehicle with a newer manufacturing year? I know not many like Kia, but that fact also helps you to bargain.... a friend of mine got a brand new car used for an year, done less than 10K for something like 15/=.... that was an year ago and he's quite happy with it...

14 within the city.....that is pretty good.. Is it a manual or an auto? Manual is my guess.

I would not recommend Mazda's that much as it does not have much of a value retention capability and the ride is not that comfortable I heard. (at least compared to a saloon type car)

About the Nissan presea, I am also interested. Anyone with any comments about the presesa???? Fuel economy and comfort level..

Hmmmmmm value retention used to be terrible on Mazda's but has since improved me thinks. Of course you wouldn't have the resale value of say... a Toyota Corolla he he. It's still not bad. I'd also have to disagree with you on the Mazda's ride quality. I drive a 2000 323, 1.6 manual. Super ride and stability. Of course this would all depend on the way the cars tyres an suspension are looked after too.

Haven't owned or driven a Presea to comment, but it looks a comfortable car, but have heard from a few people that the car loves to drink :D

Hmmmmmm value retention used to be terrible on Mazda's but has since improved me thinks. Of course you wouldn't have the resale value of say... a Toyota Corolla he he. It's still not bad. I'd also have to disagree with you on the Mazda's ride quality. I drive a 2000 323, 1.6 manual. Super ride and stability. Of course this would all depend on the way the cars tyres an suspension are looked after too.

Haven't owned or driven a Presea to comment, but it looks a comfortable car, but have heard from a few people that the car loves to drink :D

one of my co worker had a presea few years back...he bough it recon and that car too dranka bit of fuel according to him and he wasn't the "rev happy type" either...

his presea was bottoming down quite often but i'm not sure that all preseas have low ground clearance... with 4 folks including the drive in his car...it hit the bottom on most road humps in colombo at the time even when driven very carefully over them...

If the original poster can bump up the budget to about 1.5 he should be able to get a FB15 in good shape quite easily... and those are good cars apart from some having o2 sensor issues that can be quite easily fixed

I think after Mazda3 the overall image for them from the masses have gone up... but still most garage fellows would advice you against from buying them... at least the older mazdas.

but it is a good car...provided that you know how to look after it and what to expect out of it...

his presea was bottoming down quite often but i'm not sure that all preseas have low ground clearance... with 4 folks including the drive in his car...it hit the bottom on most road humps in colombo at the time even when driven very carefully over them...

Good point Ripper..The car seems a bit too low to handle four people specially on Sri-Lankan roads. But, I see the roads in Colombo are getting a tune up ahead of the SAARC summit... :rolleyes:

There obviously has to be something wrong with the Presea. Otherwise it wont be going at such a low price. To me "Price means Quality" :violent-smiley-099:

one of my co worker had a presea few years back...he bough it recon and that car too dranka bit of fuel according to him and he wasn't the "rev happy type" either...

If the original poster can bump up the budget to about 1.5 he should be able to get a FB15 in good shape quite easily... and those are good cars apart from some having o2 sensor issues that can be quite easily fixed

I think after Mazda3 the overall image for them from the masses have gone up... but still most garage fellows would advice you against from buying them... at least the older mazdas.

but it is a good car...provided that you know how to look after it and what to expect out of it...

The presea has another problem, very limited head room ! For example I'm around 6 feet tall and I keep hitting my head on the roof if I travel in the back seat. Have the same problem in Ceres and Marino's ! (and also the older Celica and the FTO !)

Good point Ripper..The car seems a bit too low to handle four people specially on Sri-Lankan roads. But, I see the roads in Colombo are getting a tune up ahead of the SAARC summit... :rolleyes:

There obviously has to be something wrong with the Presea. Otherwise it wont be going at such a low price. To me "Price means Quality" :violent-smiley-099:

thats a pretty dumb attitude to have to be honest (no offense) the asking price of a car in the SL market depends on market perception, which is a very volatile thing...for example, just because corollas have the highest market values that doesn't mean they are the best cars at all!!

as for the presea, it has always been basically a Sunny with a different body and posher trim... the First gen cars (Based on the B13 "Doctor Sunny") were pretty nice machines, with (my opinion) great styling and very nice trimmings.... The 2nd gen car was far more boring in style, it became just another generic jap box... but mechanically it's very similar to the FB15.. as for fuel consumption, perhaps the car weighs a tad bit more than the sunny therefore it's less economical?

Good looking, Performance, fuel efficent and modareatable, Most advisable to go for EK3 Honda Civic.

There is a belief in Srilanka that spare part prices of honda civics are quite high.... Is it true????

Probably users of civics can give real facts regarding this....

Not at all they are quite freely available - Yes the butterfly (As most people call it) are the ones with the full light and bit larger at the 3 ends - the previous model also had the full light but was more square shape than that of the butterfly.

Well familia is the Japanese version (Asian) and the 323 are more of the European version. All of them have the same parts and stuff. The ford lazser has the same engine as the Mazda. There is no major price variance between Familia or a 323

have seen many Familias and 323s from what i've seen, Ground clearance of 323 is bit higher than Familias, which is great for Sri lankan pot holed roads.

thats a pretty dumb attitude to have to be honest (no offense) the asking price of a car in the SL market depends on market perception, which is a very volatile thing...for example, just because corollas have the highest market values that doesn't mean they are the best cars at all!!

Oh I forgot the Toyota factor..."Price means quality- except for a Toyota" Thanks for the corerction Supra.

There is a belief in Srilanka that spare part prices of honda civics are quite high.... Is it true????

Probably users of civics can give real facts regarding this....

I totally disagree if some body says that spares of civic is expensive. It is more or less like toyota or nissan. I normally do my car service at Stafford (Agent) and cost me less than what toyota lanka charges (According to my other friends who have toyotas).

Also I would say the services provide by the agent is totally acceptable. :)

My sister in law owned an FB 15 and had a number of problems with it, and the worst part was no1 culd detect the problem,and ultimately she had 2 sell it.. plus is it econo ical>?cuz apparantly it sukd petrol..

Get a flashy car with the looks and drive it with out too much of concern about the fuel as that was not your 1st choice. Still for all refer the above – no use having a flashy car and driving it like a granny been a pain in the ass to others. [/size][/font]

All the best

How about the 1300 cc mazda models. there was some talk that the mileage was not as good as the 1500cc..is it true? and mazda usually comes only in white isnt it?

Get a flashy car with the looks and drive it with out too much of concern about the fuel as that was not your 1st choice. Still for all refer the above – no use having a flashy car and driving it like a granny been a pain in the ass to others. [/size][/font]

All the best

How about the 1300 cc mazda models. there was some talk that the mileage was not as good as the 1500cc..is it true? and mazda usually comes only in white isnt it?

Mazda's do come in other colors just like any other brand... one of my friends bro has a wine-red one bought B/new... 1300cc but quite under powered IMO... but it's supposedly good in fuel though i'm not aware of exact numbers...

On your sis-in-law's FB15... you do get cases like that where either it was mis-diagnosed, improperly maintained etc etc...

there's nothing called a "bullet proof" car when it comes to mechanical and electrical issues... the most reliable vehicle will fail it wasn't properly looked after so you can't judge a model just by looking at one example... many folks at AL too will vouch to the fact that the FB15 is a bloody good car for the money you pay and for it's intended use...

I second what ripper said. And besides, no matter the reputation a car has for meagerness on fuel consumption, the consumption will depend on the driving style. After all, we know that a BMW M3 with a big 4.0l V8 engine uses less fuel than a Prius with a hybrid 1.5l going all out, when trying to keep up with the Prius!

anybody know the figures for a mazda 1300cc..in col and out of col?..if anyone had the car pl do share ur experience with a 1300cc engine mazda 323..

i saw a sprinter automatic, english number 99 model for 1425..is it a good price?..btw wats the diff between an AE111 and an AE110?..the 111 looks much better..but is it worse oon fuel or anything?..do let me know..

anybody know the figures for a mazda 1300cc..in col and out of col?..if anyone had the car pl do share ur experience with a 1300cc engine mazda 323..

i saw a sprinter automatic, english number 99 model for 1425..is it a good price?..btw wats the diff between an AE111 and an AE110?..the 111 looks much better..but is it worse oon fuel or anything?..do let me know..

Yep, if the Vehicle is in good condition then it's a good deal. AE111 is 1600CC (4A-FE) and 110 is 1500CC (5A-FE). is it a XE Vintage or SE Vintage?

Check this out for more details...

as far as i know. most of the AE111s are later models. corollas are normally better on fuel. but it depends on Driving style. like ripper said...

Edited by Ruslan

I will not not recomend a 1300cc sedan the size of a 323, since its under powered it may consume more fuel than a 1500cc (ex: when loaded with 4-5 adults & trying to get some speed) due to the lack of power.

Check on below link you'll be able to get more info on Corolla's & different grades(the same will apply for the Sprinter)

http://specs.amayama.com/toyota/corolla/

I haven't got the chance to check the fuel efficiency of a AE110 personally, these are considered as economical when compared to their competitors of the same range, many of the users second that.

However interms of economy i would say that both you & the car should be on the same page... what ever the economical car may be your driving has a major part to play in achiving the economy!!!