• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Pls Help Me To Findout The Truth Of Goverment Huge Tax 4 Micro Rexton

amilapr

Question

i ve orded Rexton ii by micro cars 3 months ago paying 5 lax Rs under contract.extimated handover time ,it wll be for a last of september.last friday micro cars ltd e mail me saying(pls see no 1 ).but i could not make patment at the time that thay expected.now thay are saying to cancel my order and refund me my advance payment.in other case i must be pay 6 million of tax + 7.89 million for vehicle.in that case would ask a help by my lowyer.i'm waiting for his desaide..i'm working in italy.so i cant muove as i want.i hope to came back in sri lanka in november ..i ve no trust with micro ltd bcz what tahy say was not realy truth.pls hlp me

no 1

........ The government has completely stopped assembling the motor cars with diesel engine capacities more than 2000cc and 1600cc in petrol with immediate affect so therefore our Rexton II is under the suspended diesel category ,I’m sorry we need to get the vehicle s Registration done on or before Tuesday as the last day if not the vehicle will go as a direct imported vehicle and will have to pay a huge tax , where as the vehicle might end up by paying more than 14Million rupees . The company is not liable for this due to the fact that this is a rule laid by the government . So please be kind enough to do your rest payment by Monday and get the registration done under your name , And your vehicle can be delivered with in a period of 07 working days with the R.M.V registration . Where as this is the only solution that we can offer you on behalf of the company with our limits. Your early response highly appreciated .

I think this must also have something to do with the class clture and inferiority complexes of some people !

Local manufacture made some vehicles more affordable and less exclusive ..... perhaps this bull shit rule came about as a result. Hopefully somebody will see sense and take it out.

I wonder if Lanka Ashok Leyland buses, lorries etc. can still be assembled under this arrangement.

As long as those are for General passenger usage.. might not affect!! but who knows, what if some idiot comes up with some stupid law! :angry-smiley-048:

Well myself ran into same kinda situation, do you guys know that Importing a Nokia N82 to Sri Lanka is banned now?? this has happened to me couple of days ago. i used to send Reports for Nokia blog called "S60 Ambassador program" by Nokia. as a compliment those fellas sending gifts and Loaner Mobile Devices (Just for use/Evaluate for couple of months) so i got myself a Nokia N82 for two month usage. sent by Nokia USA. it came through DHL, and finally got detained under Customs saying importation Nokia N82s is banned in Sri Lanka. i was like what the !@#$%#@#$%^@. prime reason is it contain a inbuilt GPS!!. Custom officer told that i required to get License from TRC (Telecommunication Regulation commission) and from Import Export control board. right away i advise the courier people to re-send it back. so much for the stupid Laws! :angry-smiley-048:

Edited by Ruslan

Velocity, the limitation is not just for Micro vehicles it's in effect for everything.

Err is it correct? I think this was applicable only for the local assembly although they were originally planning to restrict importation of vehicles above 4.0l or 3.0l cant remember which.

Yes the Defender plant is affected but doing what they can to reverse the order. Whose gonna put a 2.0l engine in a SUV anyway.

Err is it correct? I think this was applicable only for the local assembly although they were originally planning to restrict importation of vehicles above 4.0l or 3.0l cant remember which.

Yes the Defender plant is affected but doing what they can to reverse the order. Whose gonna put a 2.0l engine in a SUV anyway.

Errr, the Kyron and the Actyon?

Well restricting imports of recon. vehicles in the category of either 3.0l or 4.0l is at least something we can agree on. Bcoz they are old and may cause pollution. But this, restricting brand new vehicles lower than 3.0l is not acceptable. And since they are brand new the overflow of money for spare parts is low compared to recon. I wonder which group of environmentalists asked for this restriction. :violent-smiley-099:

This will make lot of people to lose their jobs. And I wonder how they restrict them since projects like Universal and LR assembly are BOI approved ones. Even these guys presented their 1st vehicles to MR <_< . Even Dr. Lorance.

R the Mr and the crew sit on their brains?

Well restricting imports of recon. vehicles in the category of either 3.0l or 4.0l is at least something we can agree on. Bcoz they are old and may cause pollution. But this, restricting brand new vehicles lower than 3.0l is not acceptable. And since they are brand new the overflow of money for spare parts is low compared to recon. I wonder which group of environmentalists asked for this restriction. :violent-smiley-099:

This will make lot of people to lose their jobs. And I wonder how they restrict them since projects like Universal and LR assembly are BOI approved ones. Even these guys presented their 1st vehicles to MR <_< . Even Dr. Lorance.

R the Mr and the crew sit on their brains?

Thanushka, newer vehicles pollute less than older vehicles, so the replacement of old with the new in a country with few emission controls can only be a good thing.

Sri Lankans are a fairly frugal bunch, very conscious about fuel economy and thus prefer smaller engined vehicles. The larger engines only go in vehicles which need them !

It is the great irony in all of this, is that this cuts a legs off an industry which was only slowly starting to raise its head, and could only get better as more components are made locally than imported ! Its good for the economy, good for the people and good for our pockets as at least some foreign exchange is preserved leading to a stronger rupee resulting in cheaper imports !

To be honest I think the fuel subsidy is being used as a scape goat for corruption in the government and its not really at fault for lot of our economic problems !

I sometimes think a more long term solution is to stop the fuel subsidy but at the same time take away the excessive taxes imposed on diesel vehicles, and in fact provide incentives for people to buy diesel vehicles. This will results in a lot of short term hard ship to a lot of people as inflation takes its toll, but over a couple of years things will even out ! The price of petrol will fall, and it will still be cheaper to run modern diesel vehicles compared to petrol ones as they are more fuel efficient. The big issue is public and goods transport services which benefit from the fuel subsidy .........

Perhaps this is not the best time to try something like this, as things are very hard as it is but in an open market economy what works best is low taxes and low subsidies and letting the market correct itself out with some regulation.

My personal view, the govt knows the infrastructure can't handle the load of vehicles coming in, and rather than do something about the infrastructure (which is difficult anyway coz of corruption, commissions, and blocks on land acquisition, etc ) they have opted to instead try to lessen the number of vehicles circulating on the road.

Either that or restricting personal mobility is one of the best ways to prevent effective opposition from the people, making sure that the politicians with mobility stay in power by grinding down the rest of the people.

Errr, the Kyron and the Actyon?

Yes, what else is there?? not even the Jap SUV's get that sorta engine nowadays.

What about Petrol??? 1600cc??

We will see more cars cars on the roads in the future.

Apparently the cabinet papers were passed forcefully by the minister concerned when two MP's werent interested in doing so.

And that MP's brother has shares of the said company. (unfortunately he is the father of one of my good school mates)

Yes, what else is there?? not even the Jap SUV's get that sorta engine nowadays.

Actually the Grand Vitara too has a 2.0 diesel engine... same goes for the RAV4, sportage, (and i thinkthe tuscan too).... though, these ARE smaller SUVs... its just that the agents dont import them due to the insane taxes.. I remember reading a comparison on these 4 models on Autocar quite some years back... thats when i found out that the RAV4 too came in diesel..

Tax concessions for eco-friendly vehicles

Nadira GUNATILLEKE and Uditha KUMARASINGHE

COLOMBO: The Government has decided to implement a new duty structure to promote the import of clean fuel vehicles from 2009 and to provide tax concessions on par with existing schemes applicable to local industries for local assembly of clean fuel vehicles with a local value addition of 25 per cent, Information and Media Minister and Cabinet Spokesman Anura Priyadarshana Yapa said.

The Cabinet has granted approval to the Cabinet memorandum submitted by Environment and Natural Resources Minister Champika Ranawaka in this regard.

Addressing the weekly Cabinet press briefing held at the Government Information Department Auditorium yesterday, Minister Yapa said the Government has taken a policy decision to promote environmental friendly modes of transport and offer tax concessions for locally assembled environmental friendly vehicles.

A special committee consisting of officials and technical experts has been appointed to look into the issue and make recommendations. Depending on the recommendations, the Government's tax scheme will be changed to promote the import of environmental friendly vehicles and environmental friendly vehicles manufactured locally, the Minister said.

Under the present tax scheme of the Government, all imported vehicles are subjected to customs duty and a number of taxes including value added tax.

http://www.dailynews.lk/2008/09/19/news12.asp

Tax concessions for eco-friendly vehicles

Nadira GUNATILLEKE and Uditha KUMARASINGHE

COLOMBO: The Government has decided to implement a new duty structure to promote the import of clean fuel vehicles from 2009 and to provide tax concessions on par with existing schemes applicable to local industries for local assembly of clean fuel vehicles with a local value addition of 25 per cent, Information and Media Minister and Cabinet Spokesman Anura Priyadarshana Yapa said.

The Cabinet has granted approval to the Cabinet memorandum submitted by Environment and Natural Resources Minister Champika Ranawaka in this regard.

Addressing the weekly Cabinet press briefing held at the Government Information Department Auditorium yesterday, Minister Yapa said the Government has taken a policy decision to promote environmental friendly modes of transport and offer tax concessions for locally assembled environmental friendly vehicles.

A special committee consisting of officials and technical experts has been appointed to look into the issue and make recommendations. Depending on the recommendations, the Government's tax scheme will be changed to promote the import of environmental friendly vehicles and environmental friendly vehicles manufactured locally, the Minister said.

Under the present tax scheme of the Government, all imported vehicles are subjected to customs duty and a number of taxes including value added tax.

http://www.dailynews.lk/2008/09/19/news12.asp

So i guess according to this report.. The Original LPG RAV4 is a good Eco friendly vehicle. i think i remember couple years back Toyota lanka or someone Advertised about LPG Rav4. is it a original Factory fitted LPG unit or 3rd Party System?

Edited by Ruslan

The way I see it this is just another desperate move by the government to drain/squeeze some money from its citizens to keep the cash strapped economy a float. Just like the new tax on plastic bags. How many of you honestly think that the true intention of this tax was to make sri lanka greener? Just like the war which feeds off the ‘fake patriotism’ in sri lankans while blinding their logical thinking skills.

Plus from the previous comments made by others can’t help but to think it’s a move made to curb the competition in the interest of handful of ‘share holders’ instead of a broader national policy.

On the matter of huge tax on diesel vehicles, diesel was always sold on a subsidy in sri lanka. At least that was the case during chandrikas regime. Which happens to be the same era the huge tax was imposed on diesel vehicles. It did make sense back then. It’s not fair that the rich folks who can afford a diesel vehicle to experience the benefits of a subsidiary which was originally put in place to save the common man by cutting down the public transport costs.

I’m not going to make any comments about the current situation since I am not aware of the ‘real’ facts and figures which I believe is the case with the majority of the citizens in this ‘land like no other’.