• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Beautiful Machine

xlr8r

i' of the view that a VW Beetle in Drag ( be it a very very pretty dress) just can Not be worth over 2 million...

the other car looks better imo, on the simple basis that is was rather original considering the odd 911 lights n rims on this :(

Do you think the other one was worth about 2 mil then?

The same owner seems to be selling the Jimny as well. i don't know much about classics but how does one of these cars hold value in foreign countries?

Ranging from $5-25K on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...5&viewitem=

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks...A1%7C240%3A1318

Edited by madmax

Do you think the other one was worth about 2 mil then?

i honestly dunno how much he's spent , but i just can't justify a price over 1.75 million cuz as far as i can see there isn't much of a way that he could have spent anything over that amount fixing it up , provided he has had the car for some time , seeing as these changed hands for about 500k in the not too distant past...

but even the most outrageous asking price could be deemed to be sane, if its backed up by reciepts to prove expenditure - but thats not saying anyone is gonna pay any such price simply because the 'restoration' cost that much

one should not foget that as pretty as the KarmannGhia is for a Beetle (& i wouldn't mind one my self) its in no way some special or significant car with a sack full of reddeming features to offset its arse engined design and rust problems

one should not foget that as pretty as the KarmannGhia is for a Beetle (& i wouldn't mind one my self) its in no way some special or significant car with a sack full of reddeming features to offset its arse engined design and rust problems

OUCH :o !! I see a swam of flesh eating Beetles crawling up your trousers :lol: !!!

i honestly dunno how much he's spent , but i just can't justify a price over 1.75 million cuz as far as i can see there isn't much of a way that he could have spent anything over that amount fixing it up , provided he has had the car for some time , seeing as these changed hands for about 500k in the not too distant past...

but even the most outrageous asking price could be deemed to be sane, if its backed up by reciepts to prove expenditure - but thats not saying anyone is gonna pay any such price simply because the 'restoration' cost that much

My opinion is it depends on how much one wants the car. It's extremely hard to put a price on a claasic in Sri Lanka. Dev would not touch a KarmG and nor would I. But there'd be many who find a Beetle sexy and that would make a Karmann outrageously X rated.

Hypothetically if I was one of them then I'd be tempted to offer something close to 2m for a "perfect" car that has some extras as well.

There are so many people who would pay ridiculous money for anything with an MG badge. For me an MG B is a dressed up Austin Camebridge (which itself was quite a crap car in its day) and I'll never ever pay 3-4m that most Sri Lankan would line up to do even if I could afford one.

But the thing is many people in SL have serious nostalgia with such cars. They recall how so and so who was a smart looking wealthy man drove his MG at a pace that left them going backwards in their Triumph Heralds and Morris Minors.

So it means a lot to them. The car they dreamt about when they were young etc etc.

My opinion is it depends on how much one wants the car. It's extremely hard to put a price on a claasic in Sri Lanka. Dev would not touch a KarmG and nor would I. But there'd be many who find a Beetle sexy and that would make a Karmann outrageously X rated.

Hypothetically if I was one of them then I'd be tempted to offer something close to 2m for a "perfect" car that has some extras as well.

There are so many people who would pay ridiculous money for anything with an MG badge. For me an MG B is a dressed up Austin Camebridge (which itself was quite a crap car in its day) and I'll never ever pay 3-4m that most Sri Lankan would line up to do even if I could afford one.

But the thing is many people in SL have serious nostalgia with such cars. They recall how so and so who was a smart looking wealthy man drove his MG at a pace that left them going backwards in their Triumph Heralds and Morris Minors.

So it means a lot to them. The car they dreamt about when they were young etc etc.

well said GTAm

bottom line is just that - it all boils down to how badly one wants one!

in years to come i'm quite likely to feel nostalgic about a Legacy RS :lol: different strokes for different folks as S_N so eloquently puts it! :D

in years to come i'm quite likely to feel nostalgic about a Legacy RS :lol: different strokes for different folks as S_N so eloquently puts it! :D

Well I don't see why not. The RS infact is a surefire future classic. The competition history, and engineering should see it through. Unfortunately it does not look great and younger bro WRX keeps the Legacy in its shadow....

It could be a Lancia Aurelia without the beauty and elegance.

well said GTAm

bottom line is just that - it all boils down to how badly one wants one!

Why Legacy RS..? I think the "Z" would make a better classic. A better, rare classic :rolleyes:

Why Legacy RS..? I think the "Z" would make a better classic. A better, rare classic :rolleyes:

:lol: the "Z" is a far more obvious choice i'll conceed :D

but cars like the original Legacy RS though far more obscure, and in the eyes of most is nothing but a Jap sedan, does have an "x" factor about them that make those that have a soft spot for them swoon :)

some trivia about the ole Lagacy RS

BC Sedan ~ 223km/h World Record

Record : Average speed of 223.345 km/h (World Speed Record certified by the FIA)

Vehicle : Legacy RS

In 1989, from January 2 through 21, the first-generation Legacy established a new 100,000-kilometer world speed record at the Arizona Test Center located on the outskirts of Phoenix, Arizona. The 100,000-kilometer distance was covered in 447 hours, 44 minutes, and 9.887 seconds, with an average speed of 223.345 km/h, thus setting a new World Speed Record.

The vehicles that challenged the World Speed Record were based on the first-generation Legacy AWD four-door sedan RS, which had a five-gear manual transmission. Partial adjustments were made to the vehicles in keeping withthe F d ration International de l'Automobile (FIA) international sports regulations, but the vehicles were virtually the same as mass-produced models. The first-generation Legacy was entered to challenge the world records for 100,000 kilometers and 50,000 miles, as well as the international records for Category A (vehicles not having an annual mass production of 5,000 or more units*)/ Group I (gasoline engine)/ Class 7 (1,500cc-2,000 cc).

*The attempt took place just prior to the announcement of the first-generation Legacy, so permission had not yet been obtained for producing 5,000 units. Consequently, the challenge had to be made in Category A.

The setting for the attempt, at the Arizona Test Center, was an oval course 9.182 kilometers in circumference. The vehicle had to travel continuously for 100,000 kilometers, and its average speed would be calculated. Naturally, the pit time was included in the calculation. During the attempt, refueling, tire changes, and driver changes could be done at will, but the more pit stops made, the greater was the loss in time. Three Legacy vehicles started the long attempt to conquer the seemingly endless 10,891 laps around the oval course at the Arizona Test Center.

The time was 11 minutes and 56 seconds past 3:00 a.m., January 21, 1989. It was 447 hours, 44 minutes, and 9.887 seconds after the start. This was the moment when the Legacy outdid all automobiles by completing the 100,000-kilometer distance in the fastest time ever. What's more, this was a perfect accomplishment, with all three cars breaking the existing speed record by more than 10 km/h.

This attempt to break the world and international speed records was part of a competition officially recognized by the FIA and was conducted in compliance with the strict rules set down by the FIA. Further, the measuring instruments that calculated the automobile's speed and the people judging the attempt must have official FIA approval. The competition was supervised by the Automobile Competition Committee for the United States (ACCUS) and its subordinate organization, the United States Auto Club (USAC).

Source : http://domain958671.sites.fasthosts.com/le...orld_Record.asp