• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Help Me To Find My Dream Land

lakshank

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's this place called Godawaya, in Hambantota. it'a narrow strip of land (can be seen on Google earth) that borders the river on one side, and sea on the other. I have an unc who's got a hide-away there 1 acre of land. Awesome place...

can't go wrong with a combination like that. got any pictures?

The secret beach hide-out belongs to the same gentleman!

souhainehut2kq3.jpg

w604.png

MINIACE

that structure in the picture is that the main building?

hey lakshank... a cheap holiday house doesn't have to be a hut all the time...a moderate house can be built cheaply if you spend your money wisely......

here's a pic of my weekend house i built facing the dummala-deniya lake in negombo.it has 4 bedrooms,3 bathrooms and a kitchen...

and it only cost me 10 lacks(1 mil) to build

motorizedimage0010gc5.jpg

w1600.png

the point i'm trying to prove is that if you are willing to do without the silly traditional building methods our people are obssesed with,(such as the fear of using clean beach sand)you can build a pretty moderate house very cheaply...just my opinion.... :)

This looks awesome Razor.

I am more in the need of a pure jungle thing. without asbestos etc.

amen to that... :)

katu meti and cadjan roof or a log cabin like mini's find? :)

gotta says it's a bit challenging after dark mixing your drinks without proper lighting since most these remote places have no power...

good ol kerosene lamp or that "patrol-mas" thing only :) :)

quite an experience though :) :) :)

hey lakshank... a cheap holiday house doesn't have to be a hut all the time...a moderate house can be built cheaply if you spend your money wisely......

here's a pic of my weekend house i built facing the dummala-deniya lake in negombo.it has 4 bedrooms,3 bathrooms and a kitchen...

w1600.png

the point i'm trying to prove is that if you are willing to do without the silly traditional building methods our people are obssesed with,(such as the fear of using clean beach sand)you can build a pretty moderate house very cheaply...just my opinion.... :)

Who designed this house HelRazor ?

w1600.png

Don...this was designed by my father,raymond samarathunge..he is quite a well known architect around the island :)

why do you ask?

Edited by HelRazor

HelRazor, how did u ever build a great looking holiday home like this for only 1mill

Cuss we build a similar house in nuwara eliya and it cost much more than that

Care to enlighten us as to what u did to keep costs down

And what d u think about prefabricated houses, are they a good investment

HelRazor, how did u ever build a great looking holiday home like this for only 1mill

Cuss we build a similar house in nuwara eliya and it cost much more than that

Care to enlighten us as to what u did to keep costs down

And what d u think about prefabricated houses, are they a good investment

well gpmac as you may know I am a professional building contractor and knowing my way around the field certainly helped but most of my cost cutting came from a little practical knowledge coupled with some open minded-ness...

here are some of the ways i saved

*I bought the ruins of a nearby rundown "walawwa" and an old church at a very cheap price,so the bricks and the doors & windows came from there.

*No cement plastering done,only a clay coloured paint was applied...earlier we tried applying actual clay but it was washed away with rain :(

*No tiling on the floor(except bathrooms of course),the floor is covered with a mixture of clay,mud and bullshit(don't delete mods,i really did use it) :lol:

*I built the house in one go...in three months it was completed..building a house without inturruption in one attempt does have it's advantages...but you have to have the full cost on hand.

yup she's a beauty isn't she...she's my pride and joy...here are some more pics

motorizedimage0017dc7.jpg

motorizedimage0016ej8.jpg

motorizedimage0014nd6.jpg

Here are some pics of the place..

36222413ek3.th.jpgthpix.gif

A shot of the river.. the sea is beyond the piece of land at a distance.

29793127hh9.th.jpgthpix.gif

The vacant land

13575021nx2.th.jpgthpix.gif

Point where river meets the sea..

26643868ip6.th.jpgthpix.gif

The strip of beach on the Island side

79869945yk8.th.jpgthpix.gif

The crossing point, note the delta between the main land and the Island.

Edited by Bugatti

well gpmac as you may know I am a professional building contractor and knowing my way around the field certainly helped but most of my cost cutting came from a little practical knowledge coupled with some open minded-ness...

*I bought the ruins of a nearby rundown "walawwa" and an old church at a very cheap price,so the bricks and the doors & windows came from there.

*No cement plastering done,only a clay coloured paint was applied...earlier we tried applying actual clay but it was washed away with rain :(

*No tiling on the floor(except bathrooms of course),the floor is covered with a mixture of clay,mud and bullshit(don't delete mods,i really did use it) :lol:

*I built the house in one go...in three months it was completed..building a house without inturruption in one attempt does have it's advantages...but you have to have the full cost on hand.

yup she's a beauty isn't she...she's my pride and joy...here are some more pics

motorizedimage0017dc7.jpg

motorizedimage0016ej8.jpg

motorizedimage0014nd6.jpg

Thanks HelRazor some good advice there

Would you mind providing me with the details of your construction company, as I am hoping to build a small vacation cottage in Nuwara Eliya next year and would like to get an estimate from you guys, maybe you can send me your details using the message function or something

Its so nice to see that Auto lanka is also serving and used as a knowledge sharing base not just in the automobile world. but in various other fields with a Bunch of talented guys.

BTW Bugatti...Me still waiting 4 any infor on that.

Prawn farm?

looks awesome all in all!

yep... wonder how offshore fishing in those areas are? :)

always wanted to do some fishing in southern seas.. never could get good enough contacts to sort out a boat etc :(

Don...this was designed by my father,raymond samarathunge..he is quite a well known architect around the island :)

why do you ask?

Well A because I like the design and B we're all coming to that age when we will be building houses of our own, so it is interesting to know these things :)

Dude. that house is incredible.. 1 M.. I just couldn't believe that! Well done to you and your dad :)