• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Price Check

xXx

First of all pardon my ignorance. I’m neither a classic/vintage car fan nor intend to buy one. Just out of curiosity would like to know weather this car actually worth the price tag?

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=8363

I know there’s been much debate on valuing such cars so let’s try to be as realistic as possible. If one of you to buy this how much will you be willing to cough out?

Main reason why I ask this question is I see a little trend forming where lot of these oldies are restored in hope of selling for an outrageous price? I think it’ll be fair for me to say back in the days these were mainly resorted by collectors, correct?

hmmm..when i saw it first, i was checking/re-checking but still not sure, showed 2 other friends the amount and asked them if i was seeing the same thing..damn! person can buy a land with a house and a new car made in 2005 with this much of money, still there'll be some left to throw a party to all AL members with beer of course! :P

well the Austin 7 is a classic car alright but the owner is just silly to ask for that price

I too like classic cars but not into buying one now anyway but out of curiosity do you guys know the market value of the following cars

Morris 8 (1940's era)

Triumph Herald (1960-1970)

Triumph Spitfire

Austin Healey Sprite

Austin A40

Sunbeam Talbot

hmmm around 1 mil would be more realistic....the 7 is an old car,that's it...IMO it's neither a classic nor a collector's item....

unless somebody made a car called "Auatin" 7 :P

on the topic. I have a question too

How much would a Mercedes 170 (YOM around 1953) cost?

this is the model i'm talking about http://www.seoski-turizam.net/mercedes/mer...ld-mercedes.htm

i remember seeing on in good condition for sale about 4-5 years ago for 1.0mil...

the specimen i have in mind is one that has had a restoration project started but halted and the vehicle has been untouched in about 7-8 years.. So it needs a bit more tinkering and a paintjob.. all parts are there except for the clock on the dash and the front grill's mesh... and i presume the rubber bushes etc will all also need replacement due to age along with maybe some other parts.. the engine hasnt been started in about 8-9 years either.

How much would such a model be worth? are their people who are willing to buy such project cars, with the country's situation. And what would such a car cost.. (approx)...

Edited by Dilesh

well the Austin 7 is a classic car alright but the owner is just silly to ask for that price

I too like classic cars but not into buying one now anyway but out of curiosity do you guys know the market value of the following cars

Morris 8 (1940's era)

Triumph Spitfire

Austin Healey Sprite

Austin A40

Sunbeam Talbot

No way a 7 would be worth that much. As Helrazor said maybe maximum of about 1 mil if its in good condition. The thing is with classic cars in SL there are so few that the seller can really demand quite high prices if its a rare car. To asnwer you question rman

Triumph Spitfire - There was a very nice 1500 that was for sale abt 8 years ago for about 1.5 mil I think. There was another one in the paper about 4 years ago which I had a look at but cant rememeber the price.

Austin Healey Sprite - I am unaware of one changing hand recently. We found one about 4 years ago but it only the body that was left which was totally corroded and we bought it for 200k. A sprite would probably be about 2.5-3 mil or more but thats if any of the people who own them are willing to sell which I doubt.

Austin A40 - this should be more than a few hundred thousand rupees I guess.

Triumph Herald (1960-1970) - As above but the convertible ones might be a bit more I guess

Morris 8 (1940's era) - No idea on these

Sunbeam Talbot- No idea on these

person can buy a land with a house and a new car made in 2005 with this much of money, still there'll be some left to throw a party to all AL members with beer of course! :P

unless you pull something like what sumal did with waters edge i doubt you'll be able to afford a piece of land around colombo for that budget

Morris 8 (1940's era)

Triumph Spitfire

Austin Healey Sprite

Austin A40

Sunbeam Talbot

bought a Morris 8 about a month back for 650,000 its a 1943 the car is stock and all remain original

Have a DKW3=6 EN-89** again 1950's we got about 15 years back for 15,000 being restored now

There was a MG Y series in B'wela which needed a lot of work, the owner was asking for 1.4 mill, went 2 weeks later and he has sold it

These cars go at crazy prices...

on the topic. I have a question too

How much would a Mercedes 170 (YOM around 1953) cost?

this is the model i'm talking about http://www.seoski-turizam.net/mercedes/mer...ld-mercedes.htm

i remember seeing on in good condition for sale about 4-5 years ago for 1.0mil...

the specimen i have in mind is one that has had a restoration project started but halted and the vehicle has been untouched in about 7-8 years.. So it needs a bit more tinkering and a paintjob.. all parts are there except for the clock on the dash and the front grill's mesh... and i presume the rubber bushes etc will all also need replacement due to age along with maybe some other parts.. the engine hasnt been started in about 8-9 years either.

How much would such a model be worth? are their people who are willing to buy such project cars, with the country's situation. And what would such a car cost.. (approx)...

parts might be expensive machan - its a Merc afterall - i recall a friend being quoted 300k for a Carb if i recall right on a 80's MB sedan

bought a Morris 8 about a month back for 650,000 its a 1943 the car is stock and all remain original

Have a DKW3=6 EN-89** again 1950's we got about 15 years back for 15,000 being restored now

There was a MG Y series in B'wela which needed a lot of work, the owner was asking for 1.4 mill, went 2 weeks later and he has sold it

didn't realize you were into classics

is this the particular MG Y ?

http://www.mgcars.org.uk/mgccy/specialys/y0900.htm

been maintaining a registry of sorts documenting the prices of some classics which have come up for sale over the past year or so...

its hard to fix prices on these, but will be able to work out an benchmark figure over time

There was a Sunbeam Alpine with a 3 Million asking price not too long back!

Who actually buy these? Collectors? If so I can’t picture them re-selling the cars after putting on so much work in to restoring them. You think we are in an early stage of another trend like the current 4X4 mania?

You mean a Triumph Herald is around 1 million????

In 1990 there were a few in Dehiwela for about Rs 25-30 thousand

then in 1999 I saw one in very good shape for rs 40 000 (4 sri) it was in original condition

No way a 7 would be worth that much. As Helrazor said maybe maximum of about 1 mil if its in good condition. The thing is with classic cars in SL there are so few that the seller can really demand quite high prices if its a rare car. To asnwer you question rman

Triumph Spitfire - There was a very nice 1500 that was for sale abt 8 years ago for about 1.5 mil I think. There was another one in the paper about 4 years ago which I had a look at but cant rememeber the price.

Austin Healey Sprite - I am unaware of one changing hand recently. We found one about 4 years ago but it only the body that was left which was totally corroded and we bought it for 200k. A sprite would probably be about 2.5-3 mil or more but thats if any of the people who own them are willing to sell which I doubt.

Austin A40 - this should be more than a few hundred thousand rupees I guess.

Triumph Herald (1960-1970) - As above but the convertible ones might be a bit more I guess

hmmm..when i saw it first, i was checking/re-checking but still not sure, showed 2 other friends the amount and asked them if i was seeing the same thing..damn! person can buy a land with a house and a new car made in 2005 with this much of money, still there'll be some left to throw a party to all AL members with beer of course! :P

You may be stretching the value of 4m just a bit to do all that :rolleyes:

didn't realize you were into classics

is this the particular MG Y ?

http://www.mgcars.org.uk/mgccy/specialys/y0900.htm

It's my dad's passion, good hobby after retirement... i just watch from a distance, Had a Merc 170 S some time back and sold dirt cheap

The DKW is a feast to drive, a 2 stroke car with a 3 cylinder engine, damn fast for its age

The MG was a sedan few models came in the Y series... not sure what exactly this was

mgpn2.jpg

Who actually buy these? Collectors? If so I can’t picture them re-selling the cars after putting on so much work in to restoring them. You think we are in an early stage of another trend like the current 4X4 mania?

I guess its the ppl with a passion for these things and enjoy the trouble finding parts and mechanics to fix these. Restoration is great fun and the end result is very pleasing

A Mania ? guess its already there with a more mature set of people and who has en extra bit of cash in hand :)

Edited by pathola 1

You mean a Triumph Herald is around 1 million????

In 1990 there were a few in Dehiwela for about Rs 25-30 thousand

then in 1999 I saw one in very good shape for rs 40 000 (4 sri) it was in original condition

hmm 1 mil for a herald would be a bit too much I think. I dont think there are lot of those knocking about anyway dont see them very often. yeah about 10 years ago 40-50k would have been ok. I think a healey sprite was sold late 90's for about 450k if i remember right. Incidentally the triumph herald is very similar mechanically to the spitfire well the chassis is almost identical.

Prices for classics are highly condition sensitive. IMO these are the ranges you should be looking at depending on how good bad or ugly they are. Of course some of them are crazy prices that I'll never pay :P .

Morris 8 (1940's era) - 75,000 - 600,000

Triumph Herald (1960-1970) - 50,000 - 250,000 for a saloon, 150k - 350k for a coupe...... Soft top is very rare.

Triumph Spitfire - 1.2m - 2m

Austin Healey Sprite - 650k - 1.5m

Austin A40 - below 150k

Sunbeam Talbot - which model??