• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How Best To Carry A Dslr On An Offroad Motorcycle

Ripper

Greetings fellow 2 wheelers!

Planning on a 5day motorbike trip to Arugam bay for the wesak holidays and thinking of packing my 50d and the tripod etc to capture my first ever sunrise over the sea :)

My worry is taking somewhat pricey equipment safely on my offroadey XR250...

Past trips have proven that weather, terrain can be all too un predictable and not keeping the rubber side down and the shiny side up also tends to happen on and off no matter how good you are. We tend to take crap roads and even jungle trails etc most of the time so need a method to safely carry my camera gear...

So far i store most of my clothes and stuff in multiple trash bags before putting them in my back pack to keep em dry even during heavy rain and high speed riding... It has worked like a charm. So even with the camera i think i can keep water out easily... the worry is the shock of riding on bad roads etc and also a possible fall....

Anybody have any ideas? or have you guys done something similar before?

Right now i'm thinking of taking my canon camera back pack...cover it with some thin sponge sheets to absorb shock...put that contraption into multiple trash bag if i expect wet weather...put all of this into another back pack and ride with it on my back...

most of my falls have been quite interestingly face down :) so hopefully carrying the cam on the back is the best....

the safest location on the bike seems to be on top of the tank but then there's a lot of heat right under it with the air cooled motor...and also shock coming off the frame etc... also my tank is not long enough to carry the camera bag...

A pic of my bike packed to the full on a typical bike trip is attached

packed.th.jpg

Mani...maybe you're the man on this cos there are very few HC bikers here... :)

Edited by Ripper

Instead of taking it in a bag, try packing it in a sealed box with foam? - you can get a weather sealed box from canon for 4500, with silica gell and a hygrometer even :) - put the camera in the middle with thick foam all around, and hopefully if the bike falls, or shakes around no harm done.

I'd say in theory better remove the lens and have the body separate, sheilded with foam, lenses also. You have 2 lenses right? so pack those in the same box with foam all around, and wrap the box in something soft, e.g. a towel, then in garbage bags.

Edited by Saturn

The 200EG is weather proof. Tested by me too :) your safe from mucking around with garbage bags.

However, if your only taking one lens, I can lend you my Zoom 1000 holster. You can strap it on like a fanny pack. Its padded and weather proof. Easily takes the 450D and 55-250. It can handle the larger 40D body too. http://www.amazon.com/Canon-1000-Rebel-Cam...0011&sr=8-1

you'll have to figure something out for the tripod. Or you can borrow my monopod if you want. Easier transportation.

The 200EG is weather proof. Tested by me too :) your safe from mucking around with garbage bags.

However, if your only taking one lens, I can lend you my Zoom 1000 holster. You can strap it on like a fanny pack. Its padded and weather proof. Easily takes the 450D and 55-250. It can handle the larger 40D body too. http://www.amazon.com/Canon-1000-Rebel-Cam...0011&sr=8-1

you'll have to figure something out for the tripod. Or you can borrow my monopod if you want. Easier transportation.

wow thanks peri..

i actually don't worry too much about the tripod cos it can take a bit of abuse and water damage etc is not and issue...can just strap it on to my regular luggage maybe right on top cos then it's less likely to make impact with anything even if i take a fall... Got a monopod myself but i might need the long exposure option for sunrise shots over the water.... :) seen some super stuff by other folks on fickr so wanna take a shot at it...

The 200eg provides decent cushioning to the lenses and the body when it's all in there...the issue is that it doesn't have any padding on the front and the back side...so if i can protect those with some padding and even added water proofing with garbage bags i should be ok...

and about the 200eg being water proof...i doubt this will be true in heavy rain on a bike moving around and over 80kmh....last time we did over 100 somewhere in Yala area in heavy rain

and on lenses planing on taking both :)

3 batteries to be sure... and two 4 gig cards cos that's all i got right now... might have to shoot jpeg most the shots but important ones i'll hit raw!

And thanks saturn for suggestions :)

don't prefer boxes that much cos they are little tougher to carry and bungee cord to a bike as opposed to a bag that can snugly fit contours and hold steady even through rough terrain...

Ripper, this is why you should get something with 4 wheels and a passenger compartment. And a covered luggage compartment :)

i have this padded backpack...it's supposed to be water/heat proof...but i only carry the occasional laptop...definately not expensive cameras...

123nco.jpg

Isn't that what those Pizza Hut buggers use?

Isn't that what those Pizza Hut buggers use?

lol no no....theirs have the extra heat preserve thing....but this is just padding...it looks differant than the pic,but it's the only angle i could find on google....and i dont have mine with me now to take a pic

Edited by HelRazor

Ripper, this is why you should get something with 4 wheels and a passenger compartment. And a covered luggage compartment smile.gif

oh well...somehow that is nowhere near the thrill of what you experience on a 2 wheeler... a spirited one at that too :)

the obvious downside is the carrying stuff issue...

once we had a support jeep... a prado that took most of our gear... with that we have to stick to roads or tracks that can take a 4 wheeler...

those are not as fun as trying to ride through the jungle...falling off...getting lost etc etc etc :)

I anyway will be doing car trips with the cam on tow... nothing beat the whole biking thing especially if you are hardcore biker :P

and most probably once i'm over the corolla...it'll most probably be a Hilux :)

get yourself a honda goldwing. i'm sure there's at least one in sl :P

i doubt it can even think of going in places we usually love to go to mate :) besides...that's too bulky for my taste :P

here are some pics from our last ride... :)

http://#######/cnl7kg

http://#######/d4daed

http://#######/ccuen8

http://#######/cuwagv

replace the ### thing with tinyurl dot com :)

i will delete the links once you get an idea about the terrain i'm talking about :)

Edited by Ripper

i doubt it can even think of going in places we usually love to go to mate :) besides...that's too bulky for my taste :P

i will delete the links once you get an idea about the terrain i'm talking about :)

good stuff mate! you almost convinced me to start biking :P

the terrain n the views were fab. and i'm sure no other wheeled contraption will get you through them.

can't get the links to work machan :(

Mani...maybe you're the man on this cos there are very few HC bikers here... :)

Ripper, I do have a solution but it's by way of hard shell bag that I have. Only problem is that it's few miles from where you are right now. :)

My recommendation is that a small wood box that you can strap to your back seat about the size of your camera bag which you should be able to find at a market. They often get goods in those boxes and may have one that they can spare or let you have for few bucks.

Have you thought about mailing it a head of time to a hotel near where you will end up at? I've done this in the past on my luggage so I don't have to drag them around. However, I don't know how reliable the boys in SL are for this.

Good luck bro and please post up those pictures when you get em. I haven't even seen 10% of that country of mine so I'll appreciate them a a lot :)

Sorry I can't be of more help.

can't get the links to work machan :(

those are on my fb page mate :) if you go through my albums there....there are a few albums on bike trips, fishing etc :)

just checked the link mate and they seem to work... just replace the all ### with tinyurl.c o m so the new url would be www.tinyurl. c o m/cnl7kg like it's for the first link :) it should work

Edited by Ripper

Ripper, I do have a solution but it's by way of hard shell bag that I have. Only problem is that it's few miles from where you are right now. :)

My recommendation is that a small wood box that you can strap to your back seat about the size of your camera bag which you should be able to find at a market. They often get goods in those boxes and may have one that they can spare or let you have for few bucks.

Have you thought about mailing it a head of time to a hotel near where you will end up at? I've done this in the past on my luggage so I don't have to drag them around. However, I don't know how reliable the boys in SL are for this.

Good luck bro and please post up those pictures when you get em. I haven't even seen 10% of that country of mine so I'll appreciate them a a lot :)

Sorry I can't be of more help.

thanks mani... but i need the cam onboard the bike cos you see all these great places while on the trail...

sending it to a hotel or whatever will we safer but will beat the purpose sadly :(

so lets see... planning on carrying it with me somehow and hope for the best :) :)

no worries on pics bro :)

Sorry for robbing your thread Ripper… :angry-smiley-048:

Any one been to Trincomalee lately? What’s the best route to take??? and any good place to stay other than Nilaveli beach hotel. No issue with the security anymore in that area I guess. :unsure:

Sorry for robbing your thread Ripper… :angry-smiley-048:

Any one been to Trincomalee lately? What’s the best route to take??? and any good place to stay other than Nilaveli beach hotel. No issue with the security anymore in that area I guess. :unsure:

no issues :)

few of my friends we there a few weeks ago to the sea anglers club... apparently going through the "usual" route is the best... that's through Kurunegala-dambulla-habarana-trinco... My buddies were fishing there with their families so suppose the "threat" is minimal and can't be any worse than colombo :)

• 1 month later...
thanks mani... but i need the cam onboard the bike cos you see all these great places while on the trail...

sending it to a hotel or whatever will we safer but will beat the purpose sadly :(

so lets see... planning on carrying it with me somehow and hope for the best :) :)

no worries on pics bro :)

I ran across a picture on flickr that resembled your rig and was wondering how your trip turned out? So what's the story? Did you go on the above mentioned trip? If so, how did the pictures turn out? Got any nice ones to share?

not his machan

but he's commented there

thats quite a glorious shot!

Ah, I didn't look at the comments; I see ripper's been asking how to keep his Camera safe there too lol! And yes, what a beautiful shot. Makes me want to be in on the whole 'off the beaten trail' movement...

Ah, I didn't look at the comments; I see ripper's been asking how to keep his Camera safe there too lol! And yes, what a beautiful shot. Makes me want to be in on the whole 'off the beaten trail' movement...

nah mate...

couldn't make it to the trip cos junior fell a little ill :( couldn't be away for 4-5 days with a 3 month old back home :(

we've ridden to knuckle once but i didn't have proper camera equipment at the time...

Shots like the one that was on flickr are all too common in our beautiful country :)

getting there is the issue as always... We too have had our fair share of falls etc trying to reach tricky spots...

Some of those pics are on my FB page :)

nah mate...

couldn't make it to the trip cos junior fell a little ill :( couldn't be away for 4-5 days with a 3 month old back home :(

we've ridden to knuckle once but i didn't have proper camera equipment at the time...

Shots like the one that was on flickr are all too common in our beautiful country :)

getting there is the issue as always... We too have had our fair share of falls etc trying to reach tricky spots...

Some of those pics are on my FB page :)

Ah....too bad, but such things can't be helped I suppose; fatherhood does bring with it certain responsibilities. Even if your little one didn't fall ill, I'm surprised your wife was okay with you taking off a biking sojourn; pretty cool of her to say the least.