• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Knocking Sound From The Wheel

pax

Question

Hi Guys,

Wonder if you can offer some advice on the problem I have right now, I am driving a Mazda 323 and I am getting a knocking sound from my rear wheel when driving down bumpy roads, I am assuming this something to do with my shocks and there are no oil leaks or anything from the shock. What could the problem be ?

Thanks

12 answers to this question

Hi

YA can be the shock. U may have a gas shock so in that case u won’t get an oil spillage. The common culprit is the mounts of the shock they tend to wear thanks to our smooth roads ;) - Get it checked soon .

Let me know if you need any assitance - I too ahve a 323 YOM 200

Hi,

Yes I too have the same problem on my rear right wheel and is now being looked into in the garage... My mechanic says either the bush or the shock is causing it or both. I use oil shocks and there are no spillages so i guess it would be the bushes that's causing the noise.

Cheers!

Hi

YA can be the shock. U may have a gas shock so in that case u won’t get an oil spillage. The common culprit is the mounts of the shock they tend to wear thanks to our smooth roads ;) - Get it checked soon .

Let me know if you need any assitance - I too ahve a 323 YOM 200

Just curious, would the mount bushing affect shock's lifespan?

Just curious, would the mount bushing affect shock's lifespan?

I believe so - not 100% certain though - just that the mount been damaged may have an effect on the overall handling of the car when it falls in to holes thus the sock taking some beating – Generally the knocking sound comes mainly due to a mount been damaged as I;ve had the same issue in my previous car and was advised to be changed by my then mechanic

Any one else have any opinions

Thanks pax for starting this thread. I have also been experiencing a similar noise from my a rear wheel from time to time, but did not take it too seriously. However, after reading this thread, I took it to my mechanic, and he found out that the bushes need to be replaced.

I believe so - not 100% certain though - just that the mount been damaged may have an effect on the overall handling of the car when it falls in to holes thus the sock taking some beating – Generally the knocking sound comes mainly due to a mount been damaged as I;ve had the same issue in my previous car and was advised to be changed by my then mechanic

Well I think you have just about covered it... ;)

I had the issue, but after newer shocks, I dint hear it, mount wasn't looking that good, dint bother to shop around, maybe could have been the stock one came with the car lol :unsure:

the bushings at either end of shocks and also the suspension arms seem to have a limited life-span anyway (say 6-8 years) and the rubber appears to get stiffened and crackeld as time goes by

a chap in a service station once told me that the "penetration oil" which is often sprayed to the underbelly of a car after a hoisted wash may contribute to quicken the deterioration of rubber bushes

Neoprene bushings is a better product, not sure if available in SL.

Edited by HardHat

the bushings at either end of shocks and also the suspension arms seem to have a limited life-span anyway (say 6-8 years) and the rubber appears to get stiffened and crackeld as time goes by

a chap in a service station once told me that the "penetration oil" which is often sprayed to the underbelly of a car after a hoisted wash may contribute to quicken the deterioration of rubber bushes

Neoprene bushings is a better product, not sure if available in SL.

Polyurethane bushes for off road vehicular applications are freely available