• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Satellite Navigation

HardHat

yeah. it's a bit over priced isn't it? for a single country solution that is

A bit????? lol..... also I feel that this sorta thing will take a long time to be taken on by most in SL,

even if they don't mind the cost. Although some road names keep changing and are not know by all, most would

know how to get where, with possibly a few 'helpful directions' :rolleyes: from passers by.

In Colombo anyway..........

The outstation roads are quite straightfoward anyway, so that makes things easier....a updated map

and an able navigator in the form of wife / GF / Other :P will help there.

Having said all this however, there are several areas within Colombo and the burbs that could use a navi.....

so lets hope for a speedy downfall in price he he.

well, if we are prepared to think outside the box, a good satnav system extends far reaching benefits not only to it's users, but to the country as a whole as well. Howvever, the effort and cost involved in digitizing a road network is huge. Probably, DIAL*G is trying to recover most of the development cost by attching a high price tag. That may not be good business strategy and may back-fire. What they shoud have done is to offer the product at an attractive introductory price in view of developing a good client base

Edited by HardHat

I got a Garmin XT mobile with a Sri Lanka Map on it. (Installed in a Nokia E71) but unfortunately it doesn't have any road names. just the road numbers. but this thing quit handy once it's got lock with GPS satteites. :rolleyes: hope that there will be a updated map in the future.

Edit: Here's The File

Edited by Ruslan

Ruslan, are your maps from Garmin as well?

I've got a Garmin 276c which I use for both on and off roading. It's quite handy in most places I've visited, just download the maps from Garmin and go. But it is hopeless in SL - don't even show class "A" roads to any decent level of accuracy.

lemme know where you got your SL map from?

Ruslan, are your maps from Garmin as well?

I've got a Garmin 276c which I use for both on and off roading. It's quite handy in most places I've visited, just download the maps from Garmin and go. But it is hopeless in SL - don't even show class "A" roads to any decent level of accuracy.

lemme know where you got your SL map from?

Nope not from Garmin. i downloaded it from a torrent. if your interested i can send you the file. close to 20MB (Full Map) but you need to have a S60 (Symbian) phone with GPS (or with External Bluetooth GPS Module) to install Garmin XT.

Edited by Ruslan

A bit????? lol..... also I feel that this sorta thing will take a long time to be taken on by most in SL,

even if they don't mind the cost. Although some road names keep changing and are not know by all, most would

know how to get where, with possibly a few 'helpful directions' :rolleyes: from passers by.

In Colombo anyway..........

The outstation roads are quite straightfoward anyway, so that makes things easier....a updated map

and an able navigator in the form of wife / GF / Other :P will help there.

Having said all this however, there are several areas within Colombo and the burbs that could use a navi.....

so lets hope for a speedy downfall in price he he.

I have to disagree with you on the relative 'straightforwardness' in finding outstation addresses. you may know how to get to the city center in Madawachchiya or Pamankada but try finding an address in a byroad.

I got a Garmin XT mobile with a Sri Lanka Map on it. (Installed in a Nokia E71) but unfortunately it doesn't have any road names. just the road numbers. but this thing quit handy once it's got lock with GPS satteites. :rolleyes: hope that there will be a updated map in the future.

Well you could try installing google maps on your E71. I have done that on my S60 and it has proved quite useful even though i dont have GPS in mine. It is very very well detailed in Colombo and in places like Kandy. It has almost all roads named in Colombo and i have been able to explore few new routes in and around dehiwala and mount when going around. I think it will automatically start using your GPS once you install it. Install Google Maps for Mobile.

Well you could try installing google maps on your E71. I have done that on my S60 and it has proved quite useful even though i dont have GPS in mine. It is very very well detailed in Colombo and in places like Kandy. It has almost all roads named in Colombo and i have been able to explore few new routes in and around dehiwala and mount when going around. I think it will automatically start using your GPS once you install it. Install Google Maps for Mobile.

Already got Google maps machan, but the thing is you need to have a active GPRS /HSDPA connection to load real time Maps all the times. Beauty of Garmin XT is Map is preloaded and it will Synchronize the map according to the GPS coordinates. so you don't need to connect to any GPRS or HSDPA to download maps. by the way google Maps got very detailed maps in major cities.

Edited by Ruslan

With changing traffic directions every day in colombo, and other straight forward roads in outside colombo and most importantly friendly people and 3 wheel ayyala in every junction. I would go for DVD and TV system only and put balance amount for FD for next 10 years.

May be ten years down the line I will consider.

I have to disagree with you on the relative 'straightforwardness' in finding outstation addresses. you may know how to get to the city center in Madawachchiya or Pamankada but try finding an address in a byroad.

now XXX was it just by coincidence you mentioned "Madawachchiya" and "Pamankada" or... :lol:

I agree with you. For one who has used satnav for years now, I can only wouch for the endless possibilities it opens up for you in terms of exploration, even within areas you thought you were so familiar with for years. No map or guide or nice local folks can be that effective and especially, SAFE!

Ruslan,If you can PM me the Garmin file for me,mine's doesnt work at all,I can't get through from the loading screen

Ruslan,If you can PM me the Garmin file for me,mine's doesnt work at all,I can't get through from the loading screen

there's a special workaround to install Garmin xt to mobile. I will post the guidelines next morning, since im out of the home. :) anyway what is ur phone model?

now XXX was it just by coincidence you mentioned "Madawachchiya" and "Pamankada" or... :lol:

for a minute i thought this'll go unnoticed.

he he he.... as an avid fan/supporter of the personnel involved with those phrases i have no option but to take the micky to soften the blow

there's a special workaround to install Garmin xt to mobile. I will post the guidelines next morning, since im out of the home. :) anyway what is ur phone model?

Ruslan, will this work in an HP iPAQ 6515 PDA Phone? How do I check whether it will be compatible?

Crazy Life,

Here's the Guidelines on how to install it on your phone. download this file and read How To.txt inside the Zip File. guess your using a S60 phone. if not just let me know.

Hard hat,

Ruslan, will this work in an HP iPAQ 6515 PDA Phone? How do I check whether it will be compatible?

Use this Guide and Try Machan. should work i guess.

In addition to the available solutions:

- Sat Nav, (Are there any other solutions available in SL?)

- In build car navigations systems that you may have got working in SL (saw an interesting thread on that sometime back).

- GPS receiver that is capable of storing all the map data (Low end cheap ones won't have enough mem),

- A smart phone or phone with GPS which may be able to store a lot of map data too (May be a bit expensive. close to or more than a cheap laptop :) )

Has anyone of you tried driving around with a laptop (perhaps a cheap one) loaded with GPS software, connected to a GPS receiver (a low end cheap one may be sufficient since all one needs is the GPS location info to be fed into the computer)?

(of course if you can have all the required map data pre downloaded in the HD, then no need to have an internet connection).

If you have, my interest is:

Did you use the laptop with a normal HD or SSD (Solid state hard disk) on typical pot holed :rolleyes: SL roads ?

How would a normal HD fair in our roads?

Did you leave your laptop in the car when parked. (Concerned about the heat if car is parked in the sun with shutters up)?

Did you mount the laptop such that you can see the screen safely while driving :unsure: or have you tried using an s-vedio out of the laptop (if available) connected to a mounted or built in display in the dash that would take a video in line?

tnx

Could these maps loaded to non-GPS S60 phones? :unsure:

Did you leave your laptop in the car when parked. (Concerned about the heat if car is parked in the sun with shutters up)?

lol, bro in that case you might have to track the laptop also with GPS in case it goes missing :D

Edited by shanX