• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Car Or Mid-sized Suv Or Comfy Van For Around 2.5 Million.

nilakicha

Question

I'm looking for a vehicle, in the price range of 2.5-2.7 million. Currently I've got my eyes on a Toyota Vios, Mazda Axela, Honda CRV, and maybe even a Toyota Noah KR42.

Factors to consider are varying from fuel consumption, repairs, servicing, practicality, usability as a daily runner, good driving, and good re-sale value.

Obviously, the Vios would be in the price range, and considering the point that, it will be almost brand new/Reconditioned, very low mileage, Jap car which will be easy on maintenance and of course repairs.

Presence and personal appeal - well its all over the place, and I would ideally like a car which has got good looks, not that the Vios doesn't. But I'd prefer a Axela in this department for some reason, and also considering the driving fun to be had.

Then comes the love to own a Mid Size SUV, its practical, fun to drive, and go almost anywhere (Not proper Offroad- but well - bad roads considering SL's got plenty of them), in the lines of a Honda CRV - RD1. These are going around 2.6mill as well I think. Of course fuel consumption will be in the range of 9-10kmpl. Not too sure about the Servicing and repairs division tho. This would be one with YOM between 2003-2004.

Finally, a spacious and modifiable to leisure - Noah KR 42 - Diesel at that. Prices are around 2.3 to 2.8mill I Believe. Supposed to be quite good on fuel as well, and its a comfortable ride for more than 5 (though that factor wont come into much use).

So pretty much stuck at deciding what to go for, though the Vios keeps coming on top all the time, I'd like to make a decision which i wont regret, and since its something ill be using for a good 4-5 years ahead, it needs to something Id like to own, and drive everyday.

Any help guys? Thanks soo much in advance.

12 answers to this question

back after some time! :)

so does this mean the A4 has been sold on since? :huh:

hmmm why not something which will offer you what the Axela & CRV both provide like a Subaru Forester?

There are heaps n heaps of options in that price range...

lets see what the others have to say first.. :)

Kicha,

How about a RAV4 ? there was a RAV4 2.0 liter Manual for sale in AL classifieds. guess that would suit for most of your needs.. no idea about the fuel consumption though.. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ruslan

I was playing with the thought of a Forrester 03' - 04 earlier, and I did come across prices ranging 2.4-3.2mill.

Sure would love to have one, but what Im not sure of is the servicing requirements - whether Ill have to bow to Senok for the upkeep or if there's any other option around.

Obviously consumption, ill have to expect around 7-9kmpl. Nothing better i believe.

Practicality, it would def be a good buy I believe, fun to drive, and good amount of space. Looks decent as well.

Whats the word about the servicing aspect? Doubt I'd be able to get my hands on Turbocharged ver for around 2.6.. but Im hopefull still.

Btw, im surprised you remembered bout the A4 Dev :-). Its up for sale yes, I'll be posting it on AL soon, waiting for Senok's service to finish, and a part replacement. Very to sad to let it go, cos it was quite fun, and surprisingly powerful cos the Tdi kept giving so much power over a wider rpm range. And the fuel consumption was pretty good, 12-13kmpl in the city, on Diesel, is just too good.

I was playing with the thought of a Forrester 03' - 04 earlier, and I did come across prices ranging 2.4-3.2mill.

Sure would love to have one, but what Im not sure of is the servicing requirements - whether Ill have to bow to Senok for the upkeep or if there's any other option around.

Obviously consumption, ill have to expect around 7-9kmpl. Nothing better i believe.

Practicality, it would def be a good buy I believe, fun to drive, and good amount of space. Looks decent as well.

Whats the word about the servicing aspect? Doubt I'd be able to get my hands on Turbocharged ver for around 2.6.. but Im hopefull still.

Btw, im surprised you remembered bout the A4 Dev :-). Its up for sale yes, I'll be posting it on AL soon, waiting for Senok's service to finish, and a part replacement. Very to sad to let it go, cos it was quite fun, and surprisingly powerful cos the Tdi kept giving so much power over a wider rpm range. And the fuel consumption was pretty good, 12-13kmpl in the city, on Diesel, is just too good.

well you can start by checking this one out i guess :)

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=13856

From all i've heard about that 1.9 Tdi its ridiculously frugal, no matter what the application!

After some research, and some sensibility being kicked in, Im sadly compelled to kick out the Driving fun aspect from a choice of car :-( which invariably means Axela and the Forrester are out.

Eyes now are fixed on the 2004 Honda City/Aria or Toyota Vios of the same year or later.

Still doing some research on both vehicles, Driving fun, interior, the dash, leg space in front and rear (Considering 4 passengers might travel :-p), aesthetics (where the Vios seems to have an edge over, unless theres a decent body kit on the City/Aria).

Apparently there's the 7speed gear box version is supposed to be fun to drive, and quite economical.

Interior and dash/steering feel - i believe the Honda scores here, over the Vios. Leg room front and rear - not sure for both.

Anyways, any heads up from owners and prospective buyers/sellers about both these cars would be really helpful :).

After some research, and some sensibility being kicked in, Im sadly compelled to kick out the Driving fun aspect from a choice of car :-( which invariably means Axela and the Forrester are out.

Eyes now are fixed on the 2004 Honda City/Aria or Toyota Vios of the same year or later.

Still doing some research on both vehicles, Driving fun, interior, the dash, leg space in front and rear (Considering 4 passengers might travel :-p), aesthetics (where the Vios seems to have an edge over, unless theres a decent body kit on the City/Aria).

Apparently there's the 7speed gear box version is supposed to be fun to drive, and quite economical.

Interior and dash/steering feel - i believe the Honda scores here, over the Vios. Leg room front and rear - not sure for both.

Anyways, any heads up from owners and prospective buyers/sellers about both these cars would be really helpful :).

Well mate I'll add my 2 pence in here.

Firstly regarding the new city's 7speed tiptronic, I think its a joke. I mean a 1.5 litre car having 7 speeds? <_< But anyway thats just me.

Well we've got a Vios (techincally my dad has a vios) and we've had it since october 07.. (Blimey! I just realised its been 2 years now :blink: ) Well anyway,

Here's how I see it,

Plus points- Drivabilty is good. Very smooth car, its economical (12 km/l in col with about 14 or more outstation, PROVIDED engine is in tiptop condition) that depends on driving style as well btw. Its a very light car, so acceleration is very very good for a 1.5. It's also got good brakes (all 4 disk) Interior is not bad actually, my friends say the seats are very nice. Have a leather look and feel to them and its looks are oook I guess. Provided you get over the dash being in the middle and the lady like rear lights :lol:

Minus points- Its handling is poor cause its light, tyres tend to yelp alot for the slightest turn in <_< the engine is VERY tricky to maintain. (Please becareful when you buy one) oil changes HAVE to be done at 3000 km's no arguments! Ride is not very comfy (specially with new shocks) again cause it's light, rear leg room is quite poor, specially if the front driver/passengers are over 6feet tall. Oh and this is another personal feel, I hate the bloody digitel fuel gauge!! I can never tell how much petrol is left when it starts blinking!. So yeah thats about it mate. :) oh and 1 more thing, The vios tends to lose alot of power the moment it gets packed up, 4 people wont hurt that much I guess, but I once stuffed about 8 of my mates in the car, and had to damn near red line 1st and 2nd to get to a cruising speed :lol:

If you want crazy fun the Vios can give it, (specially a manual) but since you'll most probably be going for an auto, its still a good one and I'd chose the Vios over the city Aria one. If you were going for the older city Vtech which was there before the new look city came, I'd deffo go for that.. (well.. maybe not now since the vios has grown on me.) But at the start had I not driven either, I'd have gone for the older city :)

Ps. Forrester is amazing! If you can forget bout the petrol factor, GO for it!! B)

Edited by virensti

Had Colin Chapman been around to read that, he'd have a thing or two to say to you :)

:lol: Okay maybe in racing terms I made a very stupid statement. But for daily driving, trust me, you'd feel a massive difference from say, driving around a bend on the negombo road at about 80 km/h in a peogeot and a vios :D

Edited by virensti

:lol: Okay maybe in racing terms I made a very stupid statement. But for daily driving, trust me, you'd feel a massive difference from say, driving around a bend on the negombo road at about 80 km/h in a peogeot and a vios :D

actually that statement was fairly silly whichever way you look at it. generally lightness in a car is a GOOD thing on the handling front.

I think what you mean to say about the car is that it is "unstable", which is a true fact about the vios since it is a fairly narrow and tall car in relation to its wheelbase. But then the whole point of the thing is that it was designed as an economy sedan for developing asian countries, to replace the old soluna. The only reason it is quite brisk is because the engine in it was meant for a bigger car. Handling/performance etc were never really part of the design remit of the original vios, and as such it really shouldn't be thrashed hard at all. Not if one has any respect for personal and public safety anyway.

Firstly regarding the new city's 7speed tiptronic, I think its a joke. I mean a 1.5 litre car having 7 speeds? <_< But anyway thats just me.

but isnt it a good thing to have more gears? Cos it would allow you to get more torque at the lower end and more speed at the higher end, and to distribute it evenly in the middle.. Else why have a gear-box to begin with?

actually that statement was fairly silly whichever way you look at it. generally lightness in a car is a GOOD thing on the handling front.

I think what you mean to say about the car is that it is "unstable", which is a true fact about the vios since it is a fairly narrow and tall car in relation to its wheelbase. But then the whole point of the thing is that it was designed as an economy sedan for developing asian countries, to replace the old soluna. The only reason it is quite brisk is because the engine in it was meant for a bigger car. Handling/performance etc were never really part of the design remit of the original vios, and as such it really shouldn't be thrashed hard at all. Not if one has any respect for personal and public safety anyway.

Okay, its just that I thought/was told that the lighter the car is, the more it has a tendency to skid off or slide. Where as heavier cars would hug the road better as they are more planted. And that is what I meant when I said the handling isn't good. I dunno whether it'll handle well on a track or something as its never been on one. :rolleyes: Yes I get that about the engine, and I didn't say the vios is there to be "thrashed" the sole reason I said the Vios has good acceleration is because when it comes to over taking purposes, you can't be light footed and you want something that'll move when you put your foot down. It had nothing to do with thrashing it on public roads without any respect for others safety. I'm sorry mate, I just gave my personal thoughts regarding this vehicle as we've had it for sometime. Tis all. cheers. :)

but isnt it a good thing to have more gears? Cos it would allow you to get more torque at the lower end and more speed at the higher end, and to distribute it evenly in the middle.. Else why have a gear-box to begin with?

well yeah it will be. But then why only this specific model? What's wrong with adding it to all other hondas/ other vehicles? Thats what I don't get. Anyways as I said, its just the way I personally feel. Nothing specific. :)