• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Gear Box Cheking

Duminda_CR

guys can i know how to check a automatic gearbox whether its in a good condition or bad? i need to check it as i gonna buy new EK3. help me guys. thanks

Check underneath the car first of all, see if the box is leaking oil. Then on the test drive focus on the box and see if it changes smoothly with no unusual noises. Also check the "Kickdown" of the box (whether the box downshifts properly when you floor the accelerator). A box which is reluctant to shift is indicative of problems. Make sure there arent any vibrations when the car is in drive. If the car has a switchable Overdrive (most honda boxes dont as far as i know), check to see that it works properly.

All I can think of at the moment,

also, avoid the CVT boxes (Multi-matic in honda-speak) if possible. IMO on older cars (like the EK3) they are now more trouble than they are worth

guys can i know how to check a automatic gearbox whether its in a good condition or bad? i need to check it as i gonna buy new EK3. help me guys. thanks

cvt will onlybecome problamatic due to bad usage. othere than that even a 10 to 12 year old car with cvt would run smooth. and cvt is much more fun to drive. and better preformance too.

Check underneath the car first of all, see if the box is leaking oil. Then on the test drive focus on the box and see if it changes smoothly with no unusual noises. Also check the "Kickdown" of the box (whether the box downshifts properly when you floor the accelerator). A box which is reluctant to shift is indicative of problems. Make sure there arent any vibrations when the car is in drive. If the car has a switchable Overdrive (most honda boxes dont as far as i know), check to see that it works properly.

All I can think of at the moment,

also, avoid the CVT boxes (Multi-matic in honda-speak) if possible. IMO on older cars (like the EK3) they are now more trouble than they are worth

thanks machan

Already expressed. CVT boxes are more trouble than conventional autos, especially if not maintained properly.

agree with you, only if not maintaned properly. but dont you think any auto gearbox will cause problems if not properly maintained?

better acceleration+ no jerks when chainging gears. smoother than any auto gear box. better final drive than any manual or auto gearbox.

Probably gives you better fuel economy, but a better driving experieince? :mellow: I'm not so sure...I have never owned a car equipped with a CVT tranny but a recent rental experience in a Nissan Sentra equipped with CVT made for a really dull weekend. The drivetrain seemed quite lethargic and it took a while for me to get any resonse out of the darn thing. It certainly was smooth, but unresponsively so. It certainly was not as satisfiying as a manual or even a triptronic for that matter.

Edited by Kavvz

Probably gives you better fuel economy, but a better driving experieince? :mellow: I'm not so sure...I have never owned a car equipped with a CVT tranny but a recent rental experience in a Nissan Sentra equipped with CVT made for a really dull weekend. The drivetrain seemed quite lethargic and it took a while for me to get any resonse out of the darn thing. It certainly was smooth, but unresponsively so. It certainly was not as satisfiying as a manual or even a triptronic for that matter.

quite true as far as nissans are concerned. thats why honda has 3 diffrent drive modes in cvt named economy drive and sport to suit the scenario. in the sport mode you can easily hit 5000rpm within few seconds.

quite true as far as nissans are concerned. thats why honda has 3 diffrent drive modes in cvt named economy drive and sport to suit the scenario. in the sport mode you can easily hit 5000rpm within few seconds.

Multiple CVT drive modes are available on most CVT gearboxes FYI. Its not something that honda Innovated or anything like that.

Multiple CVT drive modes are available on most CVT gearboxes FYI. Its not something that honda Innovated or anything like that.

can you name any nissan with multiple drive modes in cvt? for my information.

To be absolutely fair the Honda Civic I usually rent (the 2009 four door Sedan) is really dull to drive too. Its has a regular autobox which is as dull as the Sentra's and suffers from steering that feels woollen and detatched. Both cars are really no fun to drive at all.

Edited by Kavvz

To what advantage though? I mean, I hit 5000rpm in a couple of seconds in my daily driver too and its a no frills autobox....

Edited by Kavvz