• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Kawasaki Bikes

BladeRunner

Question

17 answers to this question

Hi Guys,

What do u guys think of Kawasaki bikes? Are they good com-paired with makes like Honda and Yamaha. Any idea about their second hand market value. I'm referring to a big bike like Ninja 9R(year 95-96).

- Raj.

IMHO they are on part with the two brands you've mentioned on performance, reliability etc etc

but in SL, due to perceptions and somewhat lesser availability of spares have placed them lower to the other two brands on demand and re-sale value...

superb machines like Aprilia too suffer the same fate...

MasterDon has a Kawi...i bet he will vouch for its performance :)

hmmm where do i start

first of all kawasaki's in general always has been genuine straightline shooters,but somewhat below par when it comes to handling,even on the zx10r you can feel the front wheel tugging outwards when you take a sharp leaner and the bike does not fully commit.(one could sort this out with a couple of 3rd party suspension mods of course)

AFAIK the 9r is an ok bike,since those are the last of the carb era bikes should be ok,but if i remember right some latter models came with cam's,not sure...an unrelated uncle in negombo had a 9r and i never got to ride it,but i do know now that it was a B4 varient with carbs(thanks to google..lol)...so if you are buying one go for a 98 and onwards model.

NOW this is the most important part...I do not reccomend you go for a kawasaki IN SRI LANKA if you are concerned about resale value and whatnot...it's good to show off and to be unique in a sea of cbr's and yamaha's,but that doesnt pay the bills does it...the parts are hard to comeby,i have to import all of the parts from india or singa and tuning is a hassle...so there are many a times the bike is just not ready(though no fault of it's own).

Edited by MasterDon

save the hassle go for a cibby i say.... parts are easyer to come buy and resale value is still up there...might i ask where you plan to ride a 900CC in Sl unless its track days you are running the risk of cops busting you...

save the hassle go for a cibby i say.... parts are easyer to come buy and resale value is still up there...might i ask where you plan to ride a 900CC in Sl unless its track days you are running the risk of cops busting you...

i hate to agree but the honda is the sensible choice yes...but still :D

err no machan even in colombo if you don't cock around and be a total arse the coppa's rarely get on to you,but riding a 600cc + bike around col is a total waste whatsoever IMO.

err no machan even in colombo if you don't cock around and be a total arse the coppa's rarely get on to you,but riding a 600cc + bike around col is a total waste whatsoever IMO.

heh heh....true true :) long years ago i was stopped on top of the baseline fly over test riding a ninja 400 :) naturally i wasn't keeping to speed limits...but coppers didn't have speed guns and i managed to spot them early and slow down without making a huge scene...

when they checked my documents, one coppa was saying "meka desiyapanahakata wada wadi wage neda"... Naturally i disagreed and he wasn't interested in checking the any further :)

I think the trail bikers tend to get stopped lot more than the cibby and sportbike fellas... have first hand experience there :D

And talking about handling... for me...so far with the limited number of bikes i've ridden... the Aprilia comes right at the top :)

super handling, great looks and very nimble... But then again...i've ridden to two strokes :)

heh heh....true true :) long years ago i was stopped on top of the baseline fly over test riding a ninja 400 :) naturally i wasn't keeping to speed limits...but coppers didn't have speed guns and i managed to spot them early and slow down without making a huge scene...

when they checked my documents, one coppa was saying "meka desiyapanahakata wada wadi wage neda"... Naturally i disagreed and he wasn't interested in checking the any further :)

I think the trail bikers tend to get stopped lot more than the cibby and sportbike fellas... have first hand experience there :D

And talking about handling... for me...so far with the limited number of bikes i've ridden... the Aprilia comes right at the top :)

super handling, great looks and very nimble... But then again...i've ridden to two strokes

haha yeah dirt bikes do get pulled over a lot...but if we go by Mani's recent FB uploaded picture it's the sport bikers have all the fun :lol: ..but i love trail bikers,they have the most wonderful attitude and sense of humour. :)

15849169768327635539457.jpg

pic courtesy of Mani

Edited by MasterDon

with the amount of cops on the road these days i beg to differ its jus going to attract too much of attention less u use for ur sunday eve ride...chances of using nething over 400 as a daily runner is leavin room out there for the cops..either way u u wont be able to utilize the bikes power to max capacity in and around col so agree with it been a waste....less of course sm one gets a bright idea of putting the bike on to the col- matara highway even though bikes arnt allowed to be ridden on it... :rolleyes:

with the amount of cops on the road these days i beg to differ its jus going to attract too much of attention less u use for ur sunday eve ride...chances of using nething over 400 as a daily runner is leavin room out there for the cops..either way u u wont be able to utilize the bikes power to max capacity in and around col so agree with it been a waste....less of course sm one gets a bright idea of putting the bike on to the col- matara highway even though bikes arnt allowed to be ridden on it... :rolleyes:

i agree...using a over-capacity bikes for daily use around colombo is asking for trouble..having said that i dont think any of the big bikes are used as daily commutes by their owners to be honest,only on weekends...some never do,for example guys like shamitz use theirs only on the track.

and a few other's like me have found some public roads away from the cities to do our solo runs...so don't need the highway mate. :):):)

Edited by MasterDon

i agree...using a over-capacity bikes for daily use around colombo is asking for trouble..having said that i dont think any of the big bikes are used as daily commutes by their owners to be honest,only on weekends...some never do,for example guys like shamitz use theirs only on the track.

and a few other's like me have found some public roads away from the cities to do our solo runs...so don't need the highway mate. :):):)

Bike riding is an attitude I would have to say.

Its about you, your machine and the world.

Having started off early on bikes (learnt riding a Kawasaki GPZ 125 and a CB 750) using one as a means of daily transport and then for pleasure....there is only one other feeling better than the wind in your face and the instant response. I am sure you guys can guess the other experience.Lol.

I too hope to get back to my first love soon.........currently in spouse conviction mode...... :rolleyes:

GO bikers !

I knw a guy who uses a 600 CBR as a daily commuter.... :)

More to the topic....I 2 agree with the majority better stick 2 a Honda cant go wrong with them ;)

....there is only one other feeling better than the wind in your face and the instant response. I am sure you guys can guess the other experience.Lol.

Could it be: Not falling off your bike after an intense 'wind in your face and instant response' session? :D

Edited by Kavvz

hmm no replies from the thread starter yet eh...i do hate it when people start a topic to never show up again...anywyas it has done some good in uniting the Al bikers...the precious few that are often neglected...i notice now that there aint a seperate section for bikes on AUTOlanka :o ...not complaining :D ..jus' pointing it out :)

Bike riding is an attitude I would have to say.

Its about you, your machine and the world.

GO bikers !

i couldnt have put it any better...

i remember you goin on about a bike purchase when we met...good luck with that mate!

Thanks a lot for all ur comments and ideas, really appreciate it. I apologize for the late reply.

I've never ridden any kawasakis so wanted to know how they are. I totally agree that there is no place to get the max out of a high capacity bike here in SL, except on the track. I thought of getting a one because that i thought they go a bit cheaper than the cibbys and yamahas. But afraid that i will be stuck with it forever. I previously owned a CBR250R and currently a 250RR. And really want to try out a big bike and see the difference. definitely not as a daily runner but as a weekend ride. The less availability of parts is a major concern. I do agree that going for a cibby would be a better choice.

Thank u once again for all of u who replied. :)

-Raj...

Thanks a lot for all ur comments and ideas, really appreciate it. I apologize for the late reply.

I've never ridden any kawasakis so wanted to know how they are. I totally agree that there is no place to get the max out of a high capacity bike here in SL, except on the track. I thought of getting a one because that i thought they go a bit cheaper than the cibbys and yamahas. But afraid that i will be stuck with it forever. I previously owned a CBR250R and currently a 250RR. And really want to try out a big bike and see the difference. definitely not as a daily runner but as a weekend ride. The less availability of parts is a major concern. I do agree that going for a cibby would be a better choice.

Thank u once again for all of u who replied. :)

-Raj...

if you dont want to be just another cibby owner...how's about a nice VFR400?