• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Land Rover Assembly In Sri Lanka

racerx

hey L board...I really think you should get your facts straight before commenting on our country's lack of engineering know how to even "ASSEMBLE" a LR defender.

first of all ill just explain sum details about the land rover defender.

If you have a chassis, gear box and the engine coupled to it, you can easily BUILD the remaining whole vehicle in sri lanka. The body panels can be fabricated in aluminum and be riveted together and fixed to the chassis. and all the other stuff, like coil springs, servo brakes, power steering and AC and etc etc can be produced within sri lanka or purchased in sri lanka. by the way do u think all the defenders that you see in sri lanka are directly imported from the UK :D

People like osanda and another couple of guys bring down original parts from the uk and basicall assemble the defender from the scratch up. And some people even go as far as to modify the chassis!!!!! Basically in sri lanka all most 60% of the private vehicles that are seen on the road are assemble or even built by a common sri lankan garage "bas" who havent even completed his o/ls. So think what we can do if we start a plant and get trained technicians to work in it. It is is not just a dream as u say L board. If a common bas can build a defender IN Sri Lanka, then we can definitely can produce them in mass scale if we start a plant. We don't have to get tents from Timbuktu and erect them here and start selling donuts in it :angry-smiley-048:

I know this is an automobile thread, but did you people know that we are basically BUILDING ships at Colombo Dockyards and our Navy build their own Fast Attack Craft (DVORA) and arrow gun boats?

As an engineer living in Sri Lanka, I strongly believe that an assembling plant of vehicles(be it cars vans or lorries or busses) can be easily started in sri lanka.

WE have built busses in sri lanka (LATEC AND D*MO)

WE have built cars in sri lanka.

If we can do that then, why cant we do it now. As I think, the only thing that is in the way is people like L Board who thinks that they have to go and lick a suddas ass to get everything, ranging from our vehicles to our education. :violent-smiley-099:

Thanks for your time on the lengthy reply and the ones who support it. However, I believe first of all you need to read the comments carefully before writing irrelavent bullshi*t. Your first few paras on our engineering knowhow and unathorised few local assemblies, and the fact that the a defender is simple to assemble are NOT news to me. Together with you, we have many capable engineers in Sri Lanka plus capable bases (technicians / mechanics). I have not mentioned anything to the contrary on any of my comments nor have I downgraded the skills of Sri Lankans (show me if I have done so on my comments). I have never mentioned on my comments that we do not have competent people in the country. However, having engineers in a country does not mean that production/assembly of something is economically feasible. Otherwise for the number of electronic engineers (and technicians) we have in the country, all our electronics should be manufactured in Sri Lanka.

About Latec and D*MO...they were done for government. Apart from the government sales, there was NO commercial success. The cars which were formally built..again not a commercial success (otherwise they would have continued to date). Micro looks a bit bright now because of the govt permits (ad hoc case due to connections that were built later). Otherwise their story wasn't so rosy either. Dhoras are again for our own military. None of these are commercial success stories. :(

If you are to assemble defenders here in a proper assembly line and make a profit, the price of an assembled unit will be much higher than an imported one (I am not talking about few garages that do few assemblies a year in addition to their normal business). Defender is not a mass market product. The few units they sell a year will not bring them any profits. From the few units if you are to make a profit, they will have to sell it at a price higher than an imported unit (unless you and the rest of the "positive thinkers" put all their money to start an assembly plant which then runs as a charity) :D

So dear engineer although you are well educated, it seems that you have not understood what a poor layman was trying to explain. May be economics and business sense are like Greek (or may be some alien language) to you. However, I hope most of the other professionals including the rest of the engineers can understand my point. Anyway your disgusting language does not represent a true engineer by any means. You see my dear friend, I have not mentioned that suddas are superior than us anywhere in this thread nor have I implied it (You have some serious hallucination for sure to make those remarks about me being sudda biased). :angry-smiley-048:

I have only talked about assembly of vehicles not being economically feasible over here due to the lack of masses. If it was feasible, I believe we should be at least having a motor cycle assembly plant over here which has bigger numbers so that there is economies of scale. So if you ever regain your conciousness (which I doubt will ever happen after reaching this state of hallucination ), please read through the entire thread and see. We are not able to assemble Defenders or any similar vehicle because it is not economically feasible due to the scales. It is as simple as that. So there is no point in opening various threads asking why we cant assemble this model or that model. It simply shows our poor business sense (and may be that is why as a nation we are still at this stage).

Edited by L board

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW sylvi!!!! talk about going OT!!!!

6 hours on the internet, and that's how your type?? maybe you can read an article on 'punctuation marks' sometime?

am i the only person who couldnt understand jack-shi** in the above post?

Mr. Delish,

Sir,

Write to the point without writing B/S on to the forum. I know good English. You?

Wijesinghe.

Mr. Delish,

Sir,

Write to the point without writing B/S on to the forum. I know good English. You?

Wijesinghe.

This is what is known as "Pot calling the kettle black". You started telling a story about bakeries, and you want others to not write B/S?

At least, I think its about bakeries. Kind of hard to follow that post, its rambling and all over the place.

Though if you do claim that is good English in your post, I can go OT long enough to point out why its not.

This is what is known as "Pot calling the kettle black". You started telling a story about bakeries, and you want others to not write B/S?

At least, I think its about bakeries. Kind of hard to follow that post, its rambling and all over the place.

Though if you do claim that is good English in your post, I can go OT long enough to point out why its not.

Sir,

I wrote what is public service today with an example I do not want to tell about bakeries. My machine. Then about the Motor examiner.

The Topic was assembling Vehicles in Srilanka Can we do with this type of Public service officers.

I was trying to point out my Experience.

Wijesinghe.

If you are to assemble defenders here in a proper assembly line and make a profit, the price of an assembled unit will be much higher than an imported one (I am not talking about few garages that do few assemblies a year in addition to their normal business). Defender is not a mass market product. The few units they sell a year will not bring them any profits. From the few units if you are to make a profit, they will have to sell it at a price higher than an imported unit (unless you and the rest of the "positive thinkers" put all their money to start an assembly plant which then runs as a charity) :D

So dear engineer although you are well educated, it seems that you have not understood what a poor layman was trying to explain. May be economics and business sense are like Greek (or may be some alien language) to you. However, I hope most of the other professionals including the rest of the engineers can understand my point. Anyway your disgusting language does not represent a true engineer by any means. You see my dear friend, I have not mentioned that suddas are superior than us anywhere in this thread nor have I implied it (You have some serious hallucination for sure to make those remarks about me being sudda biased). :angry-smiley-048:

I have only talked about assembly of vehicles not being economically feasible over here due to the lack of masses. If it was feasible, I believe we should be at least having a motor cycle assembly plant over here which has bigger numbers so that there is economies of scale. So if you ever regain your conciousness (which I doubt will ever happen after reaching this state of hallucination ), please read through the entire thread and see. We are not able to assemble Defenders or any similar vehicle because it is not economically feasible due to the scales. It is as simple as that. So there is no point in opening various threads asking why we cant assemble this model or that model. It simply shows our poor business sense (and may be that is why as a nation we are still at this stage).

I was following this topic from a distance as I did not want to jump in and comment, but I cannot keep quiet now seeing all the replies.

I agree with LRDefender. Firstly because the Defender assembly project did happen for a little while, and yes the agent made profits selling it at a low price (almost 1/3 of the price of an imported Defender).

Trouble was not with the man power or lack of technology, but due to politics. If you were closely following the forum earlier you would have come across a discussion about the restrictions put down by the government when it came to assembling vehicles (assembly vehicles should be less than 2000cc diesel and less than 1600cc petrol).

The agents did assemble (proper assembly, unlike what others do as LRDefender correctly pointed out) around 15 units and sold them, but they could not be registered due to the above restriction and they have taken it up with the relevant authorities and the HE himself and now it is getting back on track with the favourable replies given by the Govt and Customs. So you will see more assembled Defenders on our roads in the near future. Yes they do have to do a 30% local value addition which is simple in the Defenders case.

IWS also did assemble a few Porsche's and Jag's and they got registered as the IWS owner went to courts against the Govt and won his case to register the vehicles he assembled. And I dont think he will venture into that path again so no more assembled Jag's.

Hope this clears out your issue.

I was following this topic from a distance as I did not want to jump in and comment, but I cannot keep quiet now seeing all the replies.

I agree with LRDefender. Firstly because the Defender assembly project did happen for a little while, and yes the agent made profits selling it at a low price (almost 1/3 of the price of an imported Defender).

Trouble was not with the man power or lack of technology, but due to politics. If you were closely following the forum earlier you would have come across a discussion about the restrictions put down by the government when it came to assembling vehicles (assembly vehicles should be less than 2000cc diesel and less than 1600cc petrol).

The agents did assemble (proper assembly, unlike what others do as LRDefender correctly pointed out) around 15 units and sold them, but they could not be registered due to the above restriction and they have taken it up with the relevant authorities and the HE himself and now it is getting back on track with the favourable replies given by the Govt and Customs. So you will see more assembled Defenders on our roads in the near future. Yes they do have to do a 30% local value addition which is simple in the Defenders case.

IWS also did assemble a few Porsche's and Jag's and they got registered as the IWS owner went to courts against the Govt and won his case to register the vehicles he assembled. And I dont think he will venture into that path again so no more assembled Jag's.

I was wondering what took you so long to comment on this. Favorable replys you've been getting from HE and his jim-band, is it to register the already built 15 units or to continue the operation in the future? Do you happen to know what Porsche models IWS assembled?

Sir,

Your reply to all what was told in this forum concludes the Question on Assembling Vehicles in Srilanka.

For the information all Forum members.

Still half cut Vehicles are welded to gather and get them registered here as for example one person wanted to get a lease on a registered Vehicle Leasing company suspected this is a not properly imported Vehicle

Even Registered owner did not know this after 8 months of using with a registered number when he wanted to sell his vehicle only he was aware. The Vehicle what he had bought a cut and budded Vehicle the seller had done all registration properly done and handed over the Vehicle.

Person who sold the Vehicle also shifted from that house which he has leased to sell few Vehicles for three months.

On my advice the Registered owner wanted RMV to certify this is original Vehicle their reply was negative after going through few days to RMV and their nominated authorities to examine Vehicle.

Palm oil works in Srilanka in public Service.

This is Srilanka Paradise Island Pearl of the Indian Ocean. We live enjoy and Die.

Wijesinghe.

I was wondering what took you so long to comment on this. Favorable replys you've been getting from HE and his jim-band, is it to register the already built 15 units or to continue the operation in the future? Do you happen to know what Porsche models IWS assembled?

I didnt want to poke my face in without knowing all the details machang. Now that I know whats what I can comment. Well for the previous lot it looks like we'll have to pay the excise duty to register but we're trying to sort it out as well. Hoping for the best.

IWS assembled the Cayenne Turbo S (the black one with the orange livery) and a few Jags I dont know much about that operation, but I can confirm the Cayenne which was offered at 22mil or so.

Sir,

Your reply to all what was told in this forum concludes the Question on Assembling Vehicles in Srilanka.

Well I doubt it. Assembling and selling 15 Land Rovers and selling them at 1/3rd of imported price does not prove any economic feasibility. They are bound to offer it at a low price to be attractive to the buyers. They have to operate for at least three years to see whether it is a sustainable venture. Otherwise we will be repeating history (like what happened to former car assemblies).

Well I doubt it. Assembling and selling 15 Land Rovers and selling them at 1/3rd of imported price does not prove any economic feasibility. They are bound to offer it at a low price to be attractive to the buyers. They have to operate for at least three years to see whether it is a sustainable venture. Otherwise we will be repeating history (like what happened to former car assemblies).

Sir,

You are correct (like what happened to former car assemblies).

I can suggest one thing. Have a survey what Srilankan People most prefer.

4X4 Land Rover or Japanese same class.

Cars what capacity large or small.

Duel propose Vehicles Small Vans like Batta or 15 seat Vans.

Three Wheelers what is available at present or little bigger like Thailand has.

Or Srilankans wants Imported verity of Vehicles.

Wijesinghe.

WOW sylvi!!!! talk about going OT!!!!

6 hours on the internet, and that's how your type?? maybe you can read an article on 'punctuation marks' sometime?

am i the only person who couldnt understand jack-shi** in the above post?

Mr. Delish,

Sir,

Wijesinghe.

OT

Sir,

With regard to your above post, and also what Mr Dilesh pointed out, May I suggest you allocate a bit of your 6 hour browsing time today to the following pages? You may find that it helps other people to understand you better

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punctuation

http://www.writingcentre.uottawa.ca/hypergrammar/punct.html

S_N

P.S. His name is DILESH not "Delish". So much for good English

Sylvi,

Your posts always help to keep me pleasantly amused when I'm bored at work :lol:

Talk about going OT :action-smiley-060:

MalithS

Sir,

I appreciate your post as a Educated Engineer. But how many people can do this Micro first had lot of difficulties in registering this first Micro Car now they are doing a better job with mini van and others

Wasana came out with a Chinese 15 seat locally assembled van it is their at their Walisara show room.

To get BOI status to assemble a Vehicle you have to go behind so many people it is most annoying that officer is not present and come back when he is their.

20 years ago I assembled a Bakery mixer with a two speed motor most of the moving parts was driven byduplex Chains motor was 5HP 3PH driven with three belts with a auto spring loaded Belt adjuster.

When I took this machine to Ratmalana IDB Government institution the Engineer concern did not want me to bring the machine inside to their premises As he had a argument about with me on a different Tea leaves bag loading machine which I did and he did not recommend for Insurance to that factory.

As this was informed early to IDB and with prior approval I took the Bakery machine their. he looked at the machine and said Belt driven Bakery mixers are Failures and he cannot do any comments on this Machine.

I wanted to produce this for mechanizing Baker's cost at that time was Rupees 40000.00.

I operated this Machine for five years without any break downs in a Bakery and sold it to a Engineer friend of mine.

Recently one Motor Examiner refused to go to Examine one of my Vehicle which met with a accident Without his ? and I had to complain in to RMV relevant head of the department after his order this examination was done in one hour with all endorsements that I cannot drive without getting examined at Vehrahara.

He retained my Vehicle Revenue License the person who went to take back after all was done he had told that person one day he will meet me because I complained to Head of the department.

Above are few Experiences in Srilanka Public service officers. I have had.

Wijesinghe.

OT

Sir,

With regard to your above post, and also what Mr Dilesh pointed out, May I suggest you allocate a bit of your 6 hour browsing time today to the following pages? You may find that it helps other people to understand you better

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punctuation

http://www.writingcentre.uottawa.ca/hypergrammar/punct.html

S_N

P.S. His name is DILESH not "Delish". So much for good English

Honorable Supra_Natural.

Sir,

Start English teaching without writing out of topic.

Wijesinghe.

Honorable Supra_Natural.

Sir,

Start English teaching without writing out of topic.

Wijesinghe.

Honorable Sylvi.

Sir,

Thank you, I'll take that suggestion under consideration. If I do decide to start doing so, rest assured you will be the first person to hear about it.

S_N