• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Road Rules And Common Courtesies.

VVTi

I seriously hope someone can cut this article and publish it or even put it up as a hoarding in the middle of town....good work

Adding a few more

1. If you are riding a motor bike...Please note that its not a 16 wheeler and you cant do more than 50kmph so please use the left lanes...

2. Please do not use the "Trickle Theory of water" when stopped at traffic lights...There are lanes for a reason...please stick to the lanes....It would be nice to see bikes and three wheelers sticking to lanes ....It would save a lot of dents , scratches and angry people on the road.....

3. Pedestrians - The Crossings are normally a few feet away from where you intend to start crossing....Please use them...It would help...

Cheers

Anyway, it's true, in the US there are awareness campaigns and also those dot matrix signs on the highways warning about seatbelts - but let's not forget the ulterior motive is exactly the same as it will be in SL - city government likes to rake in cash from fining people without belts (I remember the slogan in Texas used to be "seatbelts: click it or ticket"). To be honest, for once I can't see a problem with making money off something that should be common sense and saves lives in the process. And I find it hard to believe there are people out there who don't know what seatbelts are meant for - it would be scary if this is the case.

Edited by Pericles

Why just english numbered vehicles?

The classic owners protested they can't do it since their cars don't have mounting points for the belts. The govt/police is too lazy and/or stupid to decide between classics and cars capable of having mount points so...

I was at the car wash the other day when a Corolla 141 pulled in (with the Red "P") and an elderly couple couple got off. I noticed that the Seat Belts were plugged into the socket and the occupants were seated on top of it.. :blink:

I couldn't help but laugh when I saw it, so had to go ask him why... his response was that if the belt are not clicked in, an Alarm sounds and it's a bother to him.. and it's also a nuisance to keep putting it on and off each time, so he clicks it in and then sits on it... :lol:

Edited by Bugatti

Is there something in the rules that say that traffic lights purely for pedestrian crossings (like the one near the welikada prison, before the junction when travelling towards Borella; and the one in front of the castle hospital) can be ignored if there are no pedestrians crossing?

feels stupid to stop there when everyone else is whizzing by :unsure:

Is there something in the rules that say that traffic lights purely for pedestrian crossings (like the one near the welikada prison, before the junction when travelling towards Borella; and the one in front of the castle hospital) can be ignored if there are no pedestrians crossing?

Yeah.There's a similar crossing on Kandy road in front of the Kelaniya university.I think its still technically illegal but even the cops don't mind if people jump the red light when no one is crossing.

I was just thinking, we are just about to pass the tipping point... There will be MORE Allions/Axios than 3 wheelers.... every monkey and his uncle wants one of those cars these days it seems... :)

Allion/Axio seems to be gaining reputation as the "Mudalaalis Choice" :)

Well, I generally don't stop if there's no one crossing, even if it is illegal. If the pedestrians cross when motorists have a green light, why not the other way around? :) But you still gotta be careful near Castle.... preggos on the move ya.

The classic owners protested they can't do it since their cars don't have mounting points for the belts. The govt/police is too lazy and/or stupid to decide between classics and cars capable of having mount points so...

I really loved to see how our layland and tata bus drivers adhear to this rule :rolleyes:

Weekend I travelled Kaluthara, all the bike riders used to overtake in Kandy road from the left side. Some times when I travel around 60Kmph these idiots still overtake from left side.

I really loved to see how our layland and tata bus drivers adhear to this rule :rolleyes:

Weekend I travelled Kaluthara, all the bike riders used to overtake in Kandy road from the left side. Some times when I travel around 60Kmph these idiots still overtake from left side.

These idiot bike riders actually overtake you from the left side while you are making a freaking left turn and your turn signals are clearly switched on. Sometimes I seriously feel like getting off the car and beating the living crap out of them. Seriously.....

• Like 1

Great Post VVTI.

If I may add...

I have noticed that not many drivers give way. If you are going slow, and if the guy behind you wants to overtake you, please don't block the road, just let that poor chap pass you. After all, you are not on the road to be a ROAD BLOCK! or to RACE or compete. The guy behind you wants to pass you coz he is in an urgency than you. (Now don't try to investigate his urgency!) Just let them pass and be on your way. If they honk you, give way. If they flash headlights give way. For gods sake if you are driving slow try to use the leftmost lane.

NO NOs to do:

If someone requests way by honking or flashing headlights;

- Do not take your car to the middle of the road and start going even slower. (What do you do that for?)

- Do not drive in the same lane at the same speed and ignore the request while you have ample space to your left.

- If you can give way, don't hand signal the driver behind you to fly. You have no right to do that! Leave your ego home, just co-operate and give way.

My request is to be considerate, and let's try to manage the small road-space we have. If we don't co-operate, it would not suffice even if we have 100 lane roads. Good example: Duplication Road - In the mornings you could see cars going in zigzag all over the road just to overtake the slow drivers who are again all over the road.

Edited by isam

Request to the bikers:

Please horn and let the other vehicles know that you are overtaking from the left (if you really need to do that). We are more concerned about your safety than you yourself.

Solution: Accelerate. :)

Big D U R joking right?

The most scariest of all on the road for me are the pedestrians and bikes. A small nudge would have disastrous results.

Big D U R joking right?

The most scariest of all on the road for me are the pedestrians and bikes. A small nudge would have disastrous results.

I'm not joking. If I see some idiot biker riding up behind me to overtake me from the left, I don't let him. The roads are small enough, and I don't need the extra work of not trying to hit him as he passes me on my left.

I've figure most bikers do this simply cause they're scared to overtake from the right cause they have to face oncoming traffic.

I'm not joking. If I see some idiot biker riding up behind me to overtake me from the left, I don't let him. The roads are small enough, and I don't need the extra work of not trying to hit him as he passes me on my left.

I've figure most bikers do this simply cause they're scared to overtake from the right cause they have to face oncoming traffic.

Be careful bro, all I know is if the biker hits your car the biker definitely will get hurt. And most of the time us car drivers will be blamed (even before the investigations).

I think the bikers and pedestrians should always be mindful about their actions on the road especially during the rainy days. Night driving during the rainy days are very difficult because of the low visibility, potholes covered in water, and the bikes and pedestrians trying to make it home quick. All the good conditions for fatal accidents.