• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Quick Trivia 3

Watchman

damn, that got some history.

and since its my turn :)

F0J4z4P.jpg

It's a 1970 VW 1600 TL

Edited by CJ5

Was that the case the "dadayama" ( the hunt) film was based on?

Yes! That's the one, though the film featured a red Ford Capri = 7 sri 7077. Wonder who owns it!!

Yes! That's the one, though the film featured a red Ford Capri = 7 sri 7077. Wonder who owns it!!

they filmed it on location, no? and i remember the police tracked him down from his tyre tread pattern, since it was an unusual or rare tyre. i remember my mom updating me about this. but i do remember the film having a ford. quite a graphic representation, that run over...

they filmed it on location, no? and i remember the police tracked him down from his tyre tread pattern, since it was an unusual or rare tyre. i remember my mom updating me about this. but i do remember the film having a ford. quite a graphic representation, that run over...

I am not quite sure of filming on location as the film depicted an open beach like area where the running down was done. The tyre tracks supplemented the other evidence. The main tip off was given to the police by a service attendant at Colonial Motors who saw blood and hair fragments stuck to the undercarriage of the car when Anandagoda put the car for servicing with the intention of erasing all evidence, which however was not to be.

Through my (relatively old) mobile, that Looks like a Mitsubishi Galant.

mitsubishiaspire.jpg

Yes it sure is!!! The last modelwith the face lift before the Galant Fortis.

Floor is yours.

:) it was...

rearlights.jpg

It's a 1982 Toyota Cressida

Edited by CJ5

Ok...for a change...here's the entire image

quicktrivia.jpg

What is it????? This model of car featured in yet another sensational crime in the country!!!!

Happy guessing! :)

Found the answer, but I cheated. :P So I'll give someone else the chance.

Edit: By the way, do we have these in Sri Lanka? I've never seen one for real.

Edited by Davy

Ok...for a change...here's the entire image

quicktrivia.jpg

What is it????? This model of car featured in yet another sensational crime in the country!!!!

Happy guessing! :)

Armstrong Siddenly 16HP... late 30s... I declare the floor open if i'm right...

@Komi, I think the Doctor Kularatne murder was carried out in a 50s car, a desoto... there's a pic of that car on the Classic Car Search FB page

Armstrong Siddenly 16HP... late 30s... I declare the floor open if i'm right...

@Komi, I think the Doctor Kularatne murder was carried out in a 50s car, a desoto... there's a pic of that car on the Classic Car Search FB page

You are absolutely correct!! It's a 1939 Armstrong SIddeley. ( you didn't do a google image search did you??? ;) )

This is the model that featured in the Colombo Turf Club Robbery ( Haara Lakse Mankollaya) in 1950. John Silva the innocent driver of the car paid with his life and had a slow and agonising death when he was asphyxiated by the robbers using a WWII gas mask in a thicket by the side of the Puttalam Anuradhapura road. This was before the Wilpattu Murder.

There was one car which I have seen on an estate upcountry owned by a planter. Wonder what came of it as I saw it around 78-79 and learnt about the story too, fascinated me even then though I was about 9 years!!!

BTW

The Kularatne murder did not involve a car (though the doc may have had one) In that case Dr.Kularatne's mother together with the cook woman poisoned Dr.Kularatne's wife with the blesssings of the doc who was having a fling with a nurse at his nursing home in the Galle Fort. The murder was carried out by giving arsenic mixed into a pickle (achcharu). The prime witness for the prosecution was the doctor's small daughter Achini. Interestingly the Counsel for the defence in both cases ( Turf Club Robbery and Kularatne) was the late Dr.Colvin.R.De Silva.

Edited by CJ5