• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Quick Trivia 3

Watchman

2 minutes ago, matroska said:

this was asked a few years ago in this same trivia: Now I  see a SIMilar CAr AROunD hEre  .... Shall I answer or wait for someone else? 

By all means take the floor.

53 minutes ago, matroska said:

image.png

Another failed attempt at marketing a Chinese mass produced car as assembled in Sri Lanka. This vehicle was sold in a market as made in USA and were found out by the public. Has various names in different countries. Rinco Aria, Yitai Motors YTEV08007, Volt City EV

17 hours ago, Gummybr said:

Another failed attempt at marketing a Chinese mass produced car as assembled in Sri Lanka. This vehicle was sold in a market as made in USA and were found out by the public. Has various names in different countries. Rinco Aria, Yitai Motors YTEV08007, Volt City EV

spot on! 

So just for clarity - Xiahou FEV appears under many names and landed in Sri Lanka marketed by a roller door maker as the Elme City at an eye-watering price. 

Your turn @Gummybr

Edited by matroska
added the local name

14 hours ago, matroska said:

spot on! 

So just for clarity - Xiahou FEV appears under many names and landed in Sri Lanka marketed by a roller door maker as the Elme City at an eye-watering price. 

Your turn @Gummybr

This one shouldnt be hard for you guys.

Triv 002.jpeg

On 1/18/2024 at 3:44 PM, Gummybr said:

Hi @Davy after a long time I'm seeing an old timer, yes this would be a Laurel (C230). Take the floor sir.

Hi @Gummybr, Long time indeed. I just logged in after ages and I happened to stumble upon this good old thread and thought of tyring my luck. Still got it haha! 😁

Here you go...

image.png.c1d232126adf8ec2b1922d464e14fbd5.png

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Davy said:

Hi @Gummybr, Long time indeed. I just logged in after ages and I happened to stumble upon this good old thread and thought of tyring my luck. Still got it haha! 😁

Here you go...

image.png.c1d232126adf8ec2b1922d464e14fbd5.png

Looks like a C330 series Cedric (the Gloria had a different light bezel except for the van which borrowed the front end from the Cedric van which was the Cedric front-end...)

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 3:43 PM, iRage said:

Looks like a C330 series Cedric (the Gloria had a different light bezel except for the van which borrowed the front end from the Cedric van which was the Cedric front-end...)

Correct! Over to you mate.

CedricR330.thumb.jpg.82d3669b924d0798e33c55a5184638a4.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iRage said:

Here you go...it created quite a stir when it was up for sale sometime back...

image.png.3d815c2378eb08828beb7ff519da78e1.png

a kit car with a name that reminds you of a central American civilization and a name of a car derived from a greenish insect. 

8 hours ago, matroska said:

a name that reminds you of a central American civilization

Aztec? But the only ones I'm aware of don't look even remotely similar, especially the Pontiac & also the Italdesign

8 hours ago, matroska said:

derived from a greenish insect. 

Grasshopper? Mantis? That's all I could infer tbf, and I don't know much about classics or kit cars to guess further

13 hours ago, matroska said:

a kit car with a name that reminds you of a central American civilization and a name of a car derived from a greenish insect. 

One could say that :) This is a pretty good hint

One can say it uses the same base of a popular Euro brand...its roots are linked to a concept car of another European brand which has a reputation for turning in to a pile of rust.

5 hours ago, Duan27 said:

Aztec? But the only ones I'm aware of don't look even remotely similar, especially the Pontiac & also the Italdesign

Look more in to it :)

20 hours ago, iRage said:

European brand which has a reputation for turning in to a pile of rust.

I searched up Alfa Romeo Aztec & it pretty much lead right it, but idk if that counts xD

Was fun guessing with the hints, they were pretty great 😁 

2 hours ago, Duan27 said:

I searched up Alfa Romeo Aztec & it pretty much lead right it, but idk if that counts xD

Was fun guessing with the hints, they were pretty great 😁 

Yes (well kind of...will take it anyway) ! Over to you !

(technically) There isn't an Alfa Romeo Aztec. Alfa had a concept car called the Carabo which was showcased at Paris (or Geneva) motorshow in the late 60s..67/68-ish ? It was named after the inspect Carabidae. Since the design house Bertone designed it, it was also known as the Bertone Carabo.

Fiberfab, in the early 70s made a kit car inspired by the Alfa Romeo Carabo. The car was called Fiberfab Aztec 7 (they had several other products called Aztec before that...I suppose this was the 7th). Because of the links to the Carabo, people also call it Fiberfab Aztec Carabo.

17 hours ago, Duan27 said:

it pretty much lead right *to it,

Yep sorry, what I meant to say was that the actual answer came up (Fiberfab Aztec 7) when I googled 'Alfa Romeo Aztec', so I wasn't sure if that was fair play, so thanks for taking it!

15 hours ago, iRage said:

will take it anyway) ! Over to you !

Here you go :)

Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 9.18.32 PM.png

Has some pretty close ties to aviation. 

From a low-volume manufacturer, whose name might remind you of a very popular paperboard used for loads of applications, from illustration, drafting etc. Also got used for practically every handicraft project back in lower/ middle school.

Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 10.50.32 PM.png

14 hours ago, iRage said:

Bristol board...

I mean Bristol uhh..fighter car thingy...but do we have any of them in Sri Lanka ?

Ohh right I'm extremely sorry, wasn't properly aware of the rules, my bad :')
Will make sure I stick to them if I get to post later on.

Either way the answer's right, it's a Bristol Fighter, built with a Viper V10. Was extremely low-volume (<14),The car manufacturer, which was headquartered in Bristol is no longer functioning. However the parent Bristol Aeroplane company, which produced aircrafts such as the Bulldog (and also another named the Bristol Fighter) went on to be split and merged to form a company now part of British Aerospace (BAE Systems) & Bristol Siddeley, now part of Rolls-Royce.

Over to you!

brisol-fighter-front-left.jpg.webp

nf9dnpxxn3p61.jpg

Edited by Duan27
Added pics
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Duan27 said:

Ohh right I'm extremely sorry, wasn't properly aware of the rules, my bad :')
Will make sure I stick to them if I get to post later on.

Quite alright. 

Considering the current circumstances of the auto environment in the country, perhaps we should expand the quiz to include models outside of Sri Lanka as well. However, accompany this with some reasonable clues/hints? That way anyone can actually do some research and figure out what the car is. Can be a pretty good learning experience as well (about the cars).

Regulars : What do you say ?

• Like 1

On 1/28/2024 at 6:06 AM, iRage said:

Quite alright. 

Considering the current circumstances of the auto environment in the country, perhaps we should expand the quiz to include models outside of Sri Lanka as well. However, accompany this with some reasonable clues/hints? That way anyone can actually do some research and figure out what the car is. Can be a pretty good learning experience as well (about the cars).

We could include, but as you said sufficient clues will need to be given. I still think there is a lot of cars in the country that we can use for trivia, its just about finding the correct angle of the car to include in trivia.

On 1/28/2024 at 6:06 AM, iRage said:

I say 'Aye' - as long as : 

1) IF The car is not present in Sri Lanka there needs to be at least a clue. 

2) For cars not present in Sri Lanka, it needs to be something relatively well known - as in appeared in some referable material, pop culture reference etc. An obscure Chinese EV like Biaxoujin LongDragonDong XDK578.987.9083713JK, that is made by the fongsheng auto company for sale only in the Sichaun province is not cool. 

2 hours ago, matroska said:

An obscure Chinese EV like Biaxoujin LongDragonDong XDK578.987.9083713JK, that is made by the fongsheng auto company for sale only in the Sichaun province is not cool. 

Now that my friend is a name 🤣, I think most Chinese have names likes this. Heck even BYD is short for Build Your Dreams. Should search for the longest name for a car, obviously the Chinese will come up top (was there a thread for vehicle names in the good old days? I remember talking about the naked car etc).

Out of jokes certain Chinese products are made by different different parties and available on Ali Baba as different makes and models confusing us.

• Like 1