• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Quick Trivia 3

Watchman

5 hours ago, Duan27 said:

Here you go then !IMG_0224.jpeg.04c1408acf442a4fb5b80c887108ec2e.jpeg

I’ve seen a handful of these here and there, and I must say I actually find the styling to be pretty nice and an overall improvement compared to the previous gen. But in terms of sales and availability in SL, the previous gen outnumbers this new one by a pretty huge margin if I’m not mistaken.

Honda Insight 

6 hours ago, matroska said:

Ah yes a model that was unveiled recently in Sri Lanka.  A marine creature that has a Kotthu named after it 😉 

Yeah! My favourite kottu. When I was small, I thought it was made using these marine creatures

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, matroska said:

Ah yes a model that was unveiled recently in Sri Lanka.  A marine creature that has a Kotthu named after it 😉 

All those EV models by the brand that is being sold globally have a sea specific name, its going to be one big company in the coming years with so many sub brands coming under their umbrella.

11 minutes ago, Gummybr said:

All those EV models by the brand that is being sold globally have a sea specific name, its going to be one big company in the coming years with so many sub brands coming under their umbrella.

This is also a problem. There is hardly any differentiation between the vehicles in terms of technology. Just as with genetic inbreeding, this can ultimately lead to sustainability challenges. 

21 hours ago, matroska said:

A marine creature that has a Kotthu named after it

Unless it is a chicken kotthu I want nothing to do with it and they are nothing but soya-meat flavored instant koththu mie...okay..so I recently discovered that cheese kotthu can be quite delectable. So maybe that...but nothing else.

1 hour ago, iRage said:

This is also a problem. There is hardly any differentiation between the vehicles in terms of technology. Just as with genetic inbreeding, this can ultimately lead to sustainability challenges. 

Well the other models are different, as in they will have a luxury arm with vehicles with 800hp and above (the jumping supercar and swimming SUV), then you will have their Petrol Hybrids (one of them did 1000km range or something like that), then there will be their FB brand which will build SUV's and double cabs. This is all excluding the impressive commercial vehicles.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, sathyajithj99 said:

Yeah! My favourite kottu. When I was small, I thought it was made using these marine creatures

my wife suspected the same well into her 20's :D 

1 hour ago, iRage said:

Unless it is a chicken kotthu I want nothing to do with it and they are nothing but soya-meat flavored instant koththu mie...okay..so I recently discovered that cheese kotthu can be quite delectable. So maybe that...but nothing else.

Cheese kotthu if well made is good - most of the time the kotthu joints substitute the cheese with just fresh milk and leaving behind a soggy mess - btw dolphin can also be chicken kotthu - it's just the same except it's made with hand-shredded parata instead of chopped roti. 

Edited by matroska
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, matroska said:

dolphin

I was expecting you to say that the Dolphin is the chicken of the sea. That title already belongs to the Tuna :)

You are stepping into the territory of Build Your Dream Kotthu :)

6 hours ago, Gummybr said:

Well the other models are different, as in they will have a luxury arm with vehicles with 800hp and above (the jumping supercar and swimming SUV), then you will have their Petrol Hybrids (one of them did 1000km range or something like that), then there will be their FB brand which will build SUV's and double cabs. This is all excluding the impressive commercial vehicles.

RIght...but isn't what they are putting into the passenger vehicles more or less derivatives of the same tech? Kind of like when almost everyone had Toyota's HSD in their Hybrid vehicles (thankfully most went different ways).

Edited by iRage

Posted (edited)

We being using the Brand new purchased Atto3 for last 1.5 years and currently it’s back to the dealer as the drivers display bugged. lol

They are a bit of a s*it boxes

The owners who bought the 1st few batches to save a few thousand $ are suffering a lot and latest being the rust issue.

Edited by john cooper
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, iRage said:

RIght...but isn't what they are putting into the passenger vehicles more or less derivatives of the same tech? Kind of like when almost everyone had Toyota's HSD in their Hybrid vehicles (thankfully most went different ways).

Battery tech is same, but of course the sizes differ. Then again the operating systems are similar as they run on android based software. I would say small differences would be there in terms of interior quality, features and tech being used (radar etc). But its the same with other manufacturers as well, sometimes you get a lot of badge engineered versions and same company siblings.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gummybr said:

But its the same with other manufacturers as well, sometimes you get a lot of badge engineered versions and same company siblings.

and that is the problem...there really isn't much diversity in the innovation. Its all one tracked :( Considering the state of the industry it is understandable for manufacturers to collaborate and build common systems but that does come at a price. It is also not good for the manufacturer because the manufacturer is creating a market without any actual competition. At some point the market is going to reach a lull point that a lot of the manufacturer's different branches/marquees will not be able to survive. Take Toyota in Japan. They simply cannot meet demand for the Land Cruiser in Japan (LC300 still has a 3 year wait list, LC250 has a 2 year wait list and a year for preferential allocations). All because Japan doesn't have anything else like it..Pajero, Safari, Hilux Surf, etc...is non-existent. If these were around then propective LC buyers would  be spread across these different models. So Toyota is imploding over here. I fear the same thing is going to happen to the EV manufacturers in China. There are SO SO SO many.

Edited by iRage

2 hours ago, john cooper said:

We being using the Brand new purchased Atto3 for last 1.5 years and currently it’s back to the dealer as the drivers display bugged. lol

They are a bit of a s*it boxes

The owners who bought the 1st few batches to save a few thousand $ are suffering a lot and latest being the rust issue.

How is the dealer support? Hope they are not brushing these issues off.

I suppose they never did say what kind of dream the owners were supposed to build...

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, iRage said:

and that is the problem...there really isn't much diversity in the innovation. Its all one tracked :( Considering the state of the industry it is understandable for manufacturers to collaborate and build common systems but that does come at a price. It is also not good for the manufacturer because the manufacturer is creating a market without any actual competition. At some point the market is going to reach a lull point that a lot of the manufacturer's different branches/marquees will not be able to survive. Take Toyota in Japan. They simply cannot meet demand for the Land Cruiser in Japan (LC300 still has a 3 year wait list, LC250 has a 2 year wait list and a year for preferential allocations). All because Japan doesn't have anything else like it..Pajero, Safari, Hilux Surf, etc...is non-existent. If these were around then propective LC buyers would  be spread across these different models. So Toyota is imploding over here. I fear the same thing is going to happen to the EV manufacturers in China. There are SO SO SO many.

Similar to what happened to the Chinese real estate boom which went south with half built apartments and forgotten estates.

Agree on the number of makes and models coming out of China. (I dont think in another 10 years time we wont be able to recognize a vehicle brand from the badge as they would have changed a lot) But I would say the Chinese are coming and the rest of the automotive world has to up their game or they will be trampled. 

Even the phone makers have got into car manufacture which apple and Samsung couldnt do(Xiaomi is nice and very techy but it has other production related issues). China is anyway overly dependent on their main manufacturers SAIC, BAIC, BYD, Dongfeng and Changan. They have so many umbrella brands and I suspect them to be sharing tech with each other for the industry to strive so much as sometimes the battery tech / spec and motor specs are very similar.

13 hours ago, matroska said:

Ok then here's the next one... 

image.png

Peoples car popularized by a certain dictator and a game played on horse back, very like the colour scheme on that car.

1 hour ago, Gummybr said:

Peoples car popularized by a certain dictator and a game played on horse back, very like the colour scheme on that car.

Do we have the edition that symbolizes humor and sadness, romance and entertainment?

4 hours ago, Gummybr said:

Correct - pic is of a particular edition that as far as I know does not exist in Sri Lanka but this model is available. 

Does anyone else want to have a go?  

20 hours ago, iRage said:

How is the dealer support? Hope they are not brushing these issues off.

I suppose they never did say what kind of dream the owners were supposed to build...

Dealers' support is not bad because the public voice is powerful and everything is protected by a consumer guarantee.

But I have heard in some places the dealer was trying to put some “agreements” into the picture.

Now more nightmares rather than building dreams for the owners purchased cars from the 1st few batches.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, matroska said:

Correct - pic is of a particular edition that as far as I know does not exist in Sri Lanka but this model is available. 

Does anyone else want to have a go?  

Harlequin edition. Some one take my place

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, john cooper said:

Dealers' support is not bad because the public voice is powerful and everything is protected by a consumer guarantee.

But I have heard in some places the dealer was trying to put some “agreements” into the picture.

Now more nightmares rather than building dreams for the owners purchased cars from the 1st few batches.

Problem with them is that they are trying to push numbers into the world, and like Tesla may be forgoing testing and quality control. Even for a small market like us with so many restrictions they were adamant of having a minimum order quantity of 50 from each model. They say that the time spent to do documentation for a few units is too much whereas the can do thousands of cars at one time within the same time frame.

21 hours ago, Gummybr said:

Harlequin edition. Some one take my place

With that invitation, I will post this.

This car I have only seen here in New Zealand for the period I am here.

This car is from a major manufacturer (not a Chinese)

If you guess this car, you will definitely deserve a gift.

IMG_5152.jpeg.0be350f2ff79af820199a4c3920c424b.jpeg

Edited by john cooper

1 hour ago, john cooper said:

With that invitation, I will post this.

This car I have only seen here in New Zealand for the period I am here.

This car is from a major manufacturer (not a Chinese)

If you guess this car, you will definitely deserve a gift.

IMG_5152.jpeg.0be350f2ff79af820199a4c3920c424b.jpeg

Has to be a stylish Italian company now owned by a big group that incorporates so many brands from across the globe. The brand is very popular amongst the rally fans. The model derives from the 20th letter of the Greek alphabet.