• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Petrol, Diesel, Kerosene Prices Go Up

MAS

Srsly, no point in arguing over spilt milk. What's done is done. Time to get our own back at all the sneering diesel owners imho.

The petrol consumer is still paying a premium and this time there is no direct benefit to everyone's bottom line, the cost of living.

At least before, one could justify the high price of petrol by quoting the direct benefit it made to the economy via the subsidized price of diesel and other fuels used in agriculture, fishing and other industries. All the petrol premium does now, is to help pay for the inefficiencies (operating as well as financing inefficiencies) of the CPC.

So in essence, doesn't that give the diesel owner all the more reason to be smug?

Edited by Kavvz

And it's that type of thought process that gets up deeper into this hole each time.

Well I was mostly jesting, since this isn't the first time fuel price hikes have been discussed ad nauseum. I'm simply saying there's no point in being angry about it when there's very little we can do to reverse the process, or prevent a similar event occurring again in the future. Call me a passive nihlist, if you will.

one of my daily rides is a B4 twin turbo (6kmpl) and the other cefiro (7.5kmpl). i wouldn't naturally like any fuel price hike as it hurts me a lot. but objectively speaking, i credit the government for removing subsidies and i hope the increase in petrol price contributes to little less traffic on the roads too. it's a tough choice to remove the diesel subsidy but sooner the better.

fuel hikes would be acceptable if govt cuts down on their costs. Do we ever the some stupid uneducated thug of a ministeraya cutting down his fleet of gas guzzlers every time a petrol hike happens. never, in fact the fleet keeps on growing, as do their egos, stomachs and wallets. just heap the costs on the public, that'll take care eh, while the jolly ata-pass politikka rides in luxury

Edited by liya

yeap owning a B4 defa walata. lol

:( There are somethings that simply cannot be done at the same time, and owning a B4 & trying to save on fuel is one of them....

In summary our system is a mess, correcting the entire system create chaos........as a country we need to correct the energy crisis, we need to reestablish the rail transportation and also widen the network.....etc...etc....

Energy crisis ? tell me the last day you have full days power cut or had a situation where there was no fuel or gas . I don't think its right of you to simply say the system is messed up, running a country and balancing the economy is not that easy. I am no supporter of the monarchy , but they are trying to do something. Lot of us just like to sit back and criticize everything but most of us Sri Lankans idle ( Including myself who is typing on A/L on company time), you see guys in offices/factories everywhere the guys do only half of their full potential but expect to be paid enough as if this was the US. I have seen exact same factories in Malaysia where the productivity is almost double to what our guys do.

It was inevitable the fuel was going up due to the world oil prices , also due to the rupee depreciation. As long as the GOSL continues to subsidize Diesel, you are not letting the market forces to act correctly. Plus to subsidize diesel the GOSL has to tax someone else, a lot of us now cannot even remember there was a significant reduction in PAYE tax,

3 kmpl for a Prodo ? I think you have got it wrong, I seriously doubt a Prado does so little. A Sahara, maybe if it on bumper to bumber traffic...

I think the Land Cruiser 200/202 does about 4-5kmpl.

This damn private bus strike has left lots of people stranded on the road today.

yes... atleast the government didn't try to run extra ctb buses... one of the government tv channel told there were extra trains also... but that is a big lie... there were no any extra trains... may be they are still thinking that money wasting fu#king DEYA$TA K1RULA thing.... :speechless-smiley-019:

I had trouble coming down from Wennapuwa this morning.Angry mobs protesting the fuel price hike.Atleast that's what I heard.

Not the angry mobs, the poor fishermen , they make their living on kerosene , imagine how 35 rupees effect their lives . for them it’s difficult to go catch the fish and make a living.

• Like 2

Not the angry mobs, the poor fishermen , they make their living on kerosene , imagine how 35 rupees effect their lives . for them it’s difficult to go catch the fish and make a living.

Well they sure looked angry to me,they'd burned down a bus even.I had to take the back roads to Katunayeke...but yeah I agree,It's really unfair to people who's livelihood is directly affected by this.they were probably struggling to make the ends meet already.

• Like 2

yes... atleast the government didn't try to run extra ctb buses... one of the government tv channel told there were extra trains also... but that is a big lie... there were no any extra trains... may be they are still thinking that money wasting fu#king DEYA$TA K1RULA thing.... :speechless-smiley-019:

On my way to work, I noticed hundreds of commuters stranded on bus stops. Yet, the CTB buses that run the govt employees' services to Sethsiripaya, Isurupaya etc were running half-empty as usual. Perhaps this is where the extra buses went.

Whenever there was a strike in the past, CTB has managed transporting commuters to their maximum ability (even using buses from their training school). That didn't seem to be the case this time. Perhaps all the excess buses are in Anuradhapura or perhaps this is just the government saying 'sod all'.

Edited by Crosswind

Fisherman will be fine :)

So will the bus mudalali, kada mudalali, vegetable mudalali, supermarket mudalali, construction mudalali, doctor mudalali and nurse mudalaliess and the billions of billions of slackers in the state sector.

They will merely transfer the extra-expenses to the ultimate bullock...the poor private sector worker. He will foot the bill for everything

• Like 1

Well they sure looked angry to me,they'd burned down a bus even.I had to take the back roads to Katunayeke...but yeah I agree,It's really unfair to people who's livelihood is directly affected by this.they were probably struggling to make the ends meet already.

I know for a fact that many fisherfolk are living on the edge of poverty! They can't afford even basic tackle and still fish with old school methods.

The Kero increase is really unfair not only on them but also on the millions of poor people who still use kerosene lamps to light up their homes.

Shockingly, usage of kero lamps is quite common and you dont have to go far out of colombo find millions of folks still using them.

I can understand if the SLG has cut down all the useless waste and this had to be last resort. But clearly that's not the case.

This situ could have been avoided if our rulers had the vison to cut down on waste, corruption and simple mis management of things.

• Like 7