• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Uneven Break Shoe Wear

luckey007

Question

Dear Friends,

I have replaced front break shoe pads [brand=FBK] after facing the disks in my car [Toyota Corolla CE110] about 6 months back.By now left side break shoes are almost worn while right side shoes are in good shape. The car handles well and no significant and noticeable difference while breaking. [car does not drag to a side.]My concerns are,

1)Is this normal or an dangerous sign?or watchfully wait?

2)I bought a new set of shoes [brand=BOSCH] but hope to replace ONLY in worn side. Will it be okay?

Your comments will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers....

Edited by luckey007

14 answers to this question

Dont think its a good idea to replace only one pad as it will be uneven and different brand of pads will have different composition.

Are both pads on the left side are worn out or only one pad ?

Best is you get the calipers checked out from a good place before you replace the pads.

• Like 1

Dear Friends,

I have replaced front break shoe pads [brand=FBK] after facing the disks in my car [Toyota Corolla CE110] about 6 months back.By now left side break shoes are almost worn while right side shoes are in good shape. The car handles well and no significant and noticeable difference while breaking. [car does not drag to a side.]My concerns are,

1)Is this normal or an dangerous sign?

2)I bought a new set of shoes [brand=BOSCH] but hope to replace ONLY in worn side. Will it be okay?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers....

'luckey007',

As CARBON B4 had advised to you (get the calipers checked out from a good place before you replace the pads).

I will like to suggest get a complete brake system checked up including rear wheels removed and cylinders cleaned if the mechanic think you need a brake system flushed do that also. Change with new oil completely.

I had endless problems using a new vehicle without attending to brake system for 25000KMS entire system failed with brake binding had to replace lot of spares with a cost of 15000.00 rupees.

Always better to check brake system annually or 10000 KMS. FOR SAFETY.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

Dear Friends,

1)Is this normal or an dangerous sign?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers....

I think the brake discs in your car may have warped, and this could be causing the discs on side to rub against the pads when the car is moving and cause uneven wear. A good mechanic will be able to establish this straight away, and actually you can too, by jacking up the front of the car, putting the car in neutral and then rolling the wheel around and observing the disc movement to see if it's perfectly straight or seems to wobble a bit or you can hear it rubbing against the pad sometimes.

It's either that or there is an issue with the Caliper as Carbon B4 has mentioned which can again be easily checked out. Bottom line is don't change pads until the issue itself is identified and resolved.

Thanks all for replying soon.

@ Carbon:Both pads in left side worn out.

@ Sylvi: When last time replacing the shoes I serviced with putting a repair kit with new break oil.But rear wheels not touched.

@ Don: No such a visible wobbling.

Please shed some light.

It won't be a very obvious wobble, and sometimes you can't see it since the break assembly and the wheel covers a lot of the break disc.

Basically warping of the discs happen because heavy braking subjects the brake discs to extreme heat (and SL is a hot country anyway) so over time the brake disc tends to lose its perfect shape and tilt to one side etc. This causes uneven wear of the brake pads and sometimes a bit of noise.

The other thing to also look at is the brake disc surface perfectly soft, because if the surface has marks or damage it will again make the brake pads wear out faster.

Thanks all for replying soon.

@ Carbon:Both pads in left side worn out.

@ Sylvi: When last time replacing the shoes I serviced with putting a repair kit with new break oil.But rear wheels not touched.

@ Don: No such a visible wobbling.

Please shed some light.

'luckey007',

Lift your car front and get some one to apply brakes very little, ( press the paddle slightly) then examine how the action of the front brake system, if one wheel have more tight than the other wheel if so there can be a some defect on one side supply of the brake fluid. that side is the side have more waste on the pads.

You have not noticed any pulling to a side according to your post. Wasting one side means there is some what more friction on that side.

Your first post confirms that you had refaced the brake disks. some times the left side may have little rough surface than the other side

AS don said look into the brake disk if there is any rough marks on the disk surface your pads will get wasted fast on that side.

You did not notice any smell or heat from the side the pads had got wasted when you drive a long trip.

One more test you can do brake oil pressure test on the front wheels. for this you have to have two pressure meters connected to disk brake supply line, lift the front, Start the car and apply the brakes then test the pressure on both wheels it takes little time. Both sides will have to give same pressure reading.

I have done this system during the time I did mechanical repairs. for front and rear brakes separately. I did all practical methods which was very successful.

It is very difficult to come to a conclusion without examining the car front brake system.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'luckey007',

Lift your car front and get some one to apply brakes very little, ( press the paddle slightly) then examine how the action of the front brake system, if one wheel have more tight than the other wheel if so there can be a some defect on one side supply of the brake fluid. that side is the side have more waste on the pads.

You have not noticed any pulling to a side according to your post. Wasting one side means there is some what more friction on that side.

Your first post confirms that you had refaced the brake disks. some times the left side may have little rough surface than the other side

AS don said look into the brake disk if there is any rough marks on the disk surface your pads will get wasted fast on that side.

You did not notice any smell or heat from the side the pads had got wasted when you drive a long trip.

One more test you can do brake oil pressure test on the front wheels. for this you have to have two pressure meters connected to disk brake supply line, lift the front, Start the car and apply the brakes then test the pressure on both wheels it takes little time. Both sides will have to give same pressure reading.

I have done this system during the time I did mechanical repairs. for front and rear brakes separately. I did all practical methods which was very successful.

It is very difficult to come to a conclusion without examining the car front brake system.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

thanks Sylvi......

Do you know a place to do it? Bcos as you mentioned in other thread almost all mechanics[even agents] are do just replacing.

The other thing to also look at is the brake disc surface perfectly soft, because if the surface has marks or damage it will again make the brake pads wear out faster.

Question : But what about slotted & cross drilled discs where the surface is made uneven. I know its for ventilation and for the dust to get out but it would wear out the pads faster as well ?

Question : But what about slotted & cross drilled discs where the surface is made uneven. I know its for ventilation and for the dust to get out but it would wear out the pads faster as well ?

The surface is still very smooth Carbon B4, the disc just has holes or slots in it. so if the surface of the brake pad is as smooth as it should be, it should have no adverse impact (or cut into) the pad. Remember a brake pad is not a rubbery spongy surface but a hard surface which does not change shape on impact.

The surface is still very smooth Carbon B4, the disc just has holes or slots in it. so if the surface of the brake pad is as smooth as it should be, it should have no adverse impact (or cut into) the pad. Remember a brake pad is not a rubbery spongy surface but a hard surface which does not change shape on impact.

Got it.. thanks.... yes the rubbery one you get on the push bikes right :)

thanks Sylvi......

Do you know a place to do it? Bcos as you mentioned in other thread almost all mechanics[even agents] are do just replacing.

'luckey007',

I do not have any person to inform you immediately who do repairs only for brake systems.

I have a good engine mechanic he do brakes also I will give his contact number you give a call to him.

Get a complete brake overhaul front and rear as your master cylinder is OK you need not do any thing on that section.

His Name is Shelton 5024072 please get a quotation explain your problem first he is a very senior Mechanic who has lot of experience.

You request him to call me I will instruct him, first test your front pad problem and then do the job correctly.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'luckey007',

I do not have any person to inform you immediately who do repairs only for brake systems.

I have a good engine mechanic he do brakes also I will give his contact number you give a call to him.

Get a complete brake overhaul front and rear as your master cylinder is OK you need not do any thing on that section.

His Name is Shelton 5024072 please get a quotation explain your problem first he is a very senior Mechanic who has lot of experience.

You request him to call me I will instruct him, first test your front pad problem and then do the job correctly.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Thanks a lot....

True, but cross-drilled or slotted rotors do wear down the brake pads faster. Its the trade off you get for lower brake temperatures (less fade), and better wet weather braking.

Edited by Kavvz