• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mixing Two Types Of Transmission Oil

invisibleuser

I've searched about the previous threads about ATF and finally thought to do it as manually. my problem is as I bought this recently I don't know the type of oil which was used previously.As previous threds describes , manually change of ATF does not change the old oil 100%. it only changed up to 30 - 60%

precent of the volume. so definetly it should mix the new oil to old oil approximately 1:1 or 1:2.

so mixing 2 types of ATF does do some damage to the gear box or it is not?? experts please help me.

I've searched about the previous threads about ATF and finally thought to do it as manually. my problem is as I bought this recently I don't know the type of oil which was used previously.As previous threds describes , manually change of ATF does not change the old oil 100%. it only changed up to 30 - 60%

precent of the volume. so definetly it should mix the new oil to old oil approximately 1:1 or 1:2.

so mixing 2 types of ATF does do some damage to the gear box or it is not?? experts please help me.

Whoa!! Careful buddy. I would not mix two different specifications of ATF fluid. Changing or mixing brand names while not ideal, isn't a big deal and wouldn't damage the transmission; as long as you match the viscosity and specification of the fluid that's currently being used. Changing / deviating from that is just asking for trouble.

Research your vehicle model and the transmission type carefully; you're sure to be able to find what specification of ATF fluid is required online (If you're not sure, take it to the agents, they'll tell you). This is one of those situations were it would be wise to be cautious.

Edited by Kavvz

Homebrew is definitely a bad idea, as Kavvz mentioned

Once you find out the correct ATF type, do an ATF flush, not just an oil change. It will help u in the long run.

You can get it done in many large service stations as well as the agents.

Edited by Crosswind

Whoa!! Careful buddy. I would not mix two different specifications of ATF fluid. Changing or mixing brand names while not ideal, isn't a big deal and wouldn't damage the transmission; as long as you match the viscosity and specification of the fluid that's currently being used. Changing / deviating from that is just asking for trouble.

Research your vehicle model and the transmission type carefully; you're sure to be able to find what specification of ATF fluid is required online (If you're not sure, take it to the agents, they'll tell you). This is one of those situations were it would be wise to be cautious.

yaa. I searched it from agent and they said use their product . But I don't know whether previous owner used the same or other brand like mobile. I need to know about that friend. because last month I've changed the coolant. Like this matter , I didn't know the brand that used by previous owner. with in a 2 weeks my radiator gone and had to replace new one. because it leaked from the core. mechanic said that may b it caused the mixing of two types of coolants.

simply I don't like to face the same thing again. :D so need to clarify this clearly.

yaa. I searched it from agent and they said use their product . But I don't know whether previous owner used the same or other brand like mobile. I need to know about that friend. because last month I've changed the coolant. Like this matter , I didn't know the brand that used by previous owner. with in a 2 weeks my radiator gone and had to replace new one. because it leaked from the core. mechanic said that may b it caused the mixing of two types of coolants.

simply I don't like to face the same thing again. :D so need to clarify this clearly.

I would be very surprised if mixing of two different coolant types caused radiator failure. I mean the only thing that will explain that is a massive and fast chemical reaction which should not occur between coolants whichever the brand it is.

The ATF situation is different. As with engine oil, if you are not sure what has been previously used you either need to use an extractor and extract all of the current oil out via a machine or to flush the system and refill it with the correct type and grade of oil.

I would be very surprised if mixing of two different coolant types caused radiator failure. I mean the only thing that will explain that is a massive and fast chemical reaction which should not occur between coolants whichever the brand it is.

The ATF situation is different. As with engine oil, if you are not sure what has been previously used you either need to use an extractor and extract all of the current oil out via a machine or to flush the system and refill it with the correct type and grade of oil.

Yes Don as you mentioned I dought mixing two types of coolents will have a adverse effect on the radioter.

About ATF the method you have mentoined is the correct method. Most of our servise stations do not empty the complete ATF and flush the torque converter before they fill new ATF oil.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Just my 2 cents..

I've had bad experience by mixing two types of ATF.. issue comes after about an hour of cold start.. the gear shifting ain't smooth and it effects the torque, due to temperature.

My auto tranny is a ZF 5HP18 (BMW E36) when I re built my tranny, I used Mobil Synthetic ATF after having a chat with the guy at Mobil. Even though the brand BMW is specified on the bottle, this particular oil didn't suit my tranny. 35k down the drain. I had to use ZF branded ATF.

Please ensure to use the ATF specified by your manufacturer. Else, it's a waste of time and money.

hey guys thats why I mentioned "it may be". not should be. :) I also think there must be a high reaction between coolants to leak the core of the radiator. but any how it was gone with in 2 weeks of changing the coolant. don't know the reason.

so thanks guys for your valuable comments. I saw in old threads that flushing ATF is not good for used gear boxes and it may damage the gear box . is there any possibility for damage it?

hey guys thats why I mentioned "it may be". not should be. :) I also think there must be a high reaction between coolants to leak the core of the radiator. but any how it was gone with in 2 weeks of changing the coolant. don't know the reason.

so thanks guys for your valuable comments. I saw in old threads that flushing ATF is not good for used gear boxes and it may damage the gear box . is there any possibility for damage it?

yes due to build up of muck inside old boxes and then dislodging and blocking valves