• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Time To Change Gear Box Oil

LolithaB

i wouldn't delay the CVT transmission fluid change. in fact i would recommend you to change it earlier than whats recommended. make sure to use Honda CVT fluid (not to be confused with Z1) because it is very sensitive on what oil it uses. if its delayed for some time you will get the symptoms of whats called "Honda Shudder".

Guys,

what is said to be the best mileage to change gear box oil in a honda fit ge6 with a 5 forward cvt gearbox? The current mileage is 47000. Do we get any warning symptoms if it is delayed?

TIA.

'LolithaB',

My son-in-law uses a Honda he first changed at 20000km on my instructions, although the instructions are to change at 40000km. Now his odometer reads 80000+ he has changed thrice so far no problems in his car gear box.

Better to change as early as possible as you have done over 40000 KMs.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Regular fluid change is life-blood of these Honda cvt boxes. Initially Honda were recommending fluid change at 80k but it quickly became clear that - particularly with city driven cars - that was too long an interval. My gut feeling (and I had one of these vehicles for 7 years) is that 20k changes for city driven cars and, maybe, 40k for highway running cars is just about right. For gawds sake, though, use the correct Honda tranny fluid!!!! Anything esle and it's "good night, Vienna!" for the tranny. And the fluid ain't cheap.

Have u seen this SL guy's site? He's absolutely spot-on re these gearboxes.

http://rayazmuthalif.wordpress.com/2008/07/08/how-to-avoid-cvt-gearbox-failures-in-honda-city-fit-jazz-a-sri-lankan-perspective/

With these vehicles be careful with:

• wheel bearings. they chop out real easy and the parts are expensive to buy - tip: don't use pressure washers near the wheels
  • changing batteries - tip: if u don't use an ecu maintainer when changing the battery, just put on the headlights, start the car, drive steadily up to 60kph and then drift back down to zero without using the brakes (u can use handbrake right at the end of the coast) - do this a couple of times and the ecu re-learns what its has to do (particularly with regard to idle level)
  • engine mounts can fail early
  • regular engine oil/filter changes - the motor thrives on clean oil!
  • the bloody fuel filter...it's under the seat area and a pig to get at and replace...aim for clean fuel and u may never have to do it!

Enjoy, they're great little cars... can't believe how much room they have inside with that magic seat arrangement.

Regular fluid change is life-blood of these Honda cvt boxes. Initially Honda were recommending fluid change at 80k but it quickly became clear that - particularly with city driven cars - that was too long an interval. My gut feeling (and I had one of these vehicles for 7 years) is that 20k changes for city driven cars and, maybe, 40k for highway running cars is just about right. For gawds sake, though, use the correct Honda tranny fluid!!!! Anything esle and it's "good night, Vienna!" for the tranny. And the fluid ain't cheap.

Have u seen this SL guy's site? He's absolutely spot-on re these gearboxes.

http://rayazmuthalif...an-perspective/

With these vehicles be careful with:

• wheel bearings. they chop out real easy and the parts are expensive to buy - tip: don't use pressure washers near the wheels
  • changing batteries - tip: if u don't use an ecu maintainer when changing the battery, just put on the headlights, start the car, drive steadily up to 60kph and then drift back down to zero without using the brakes (u can use handbrake right at the end of the coast) - do this a couple of times and the ecu re-learns what its has to do (particularly with regard to idle level)
  • engine mounts can fail early
  • regular engine oil/filter changes - the motor thrives on clean oil!
  • the bloody fuel filter...it's under the seat area and a pig to get at and replace...aim for clean fuel and u may never have to do it!

Enjoy, they're great little cars... can't believe how much room they have inside with that magic seat arrangement.

'Scooter',

I agree to your suggestions but as u say the gear oil is expensive.

It is always better to change before the recommended time and usage time instead of waiting the unit gives trouble if the vehicle users can effort.

Do not misunderstand my post you have given valuable advice on your post

Sylvi wijesinghe.

@ Scooter,

Thanks for the piece of info. yes i have been to that site. As far as i know, his (Muthalif) brother also has got the same car so he must have got a good practical sense of it too. It is pretty sure now that my gear box is starving an oil change now. Thanx again.

@Sylvi, thanx a lot.

Guys,

what is said to be the best mileage to change gear box oil in a honda fit ge6 with a 5 forward cvt gearbox? The current mileage is 47000. Do we get any warning symptoms if it is delayed?

TIA.

for CVT, Honda, its 20k what Honda (Stafford says) but recommend 15k since most of the time our cars are on a traffic but the engine keeps running so does the CVT.

CVT gearbox's are like baby's :D need to keep them clean and changed :D

i think you need around 4L of CVT oil, make sure its Honda CVT not ATF or any thing else. at tech motors its around 8000 for 4L

• 1 year later...
Yup. Honda recommended 17k changes for my ek which had done 170,000km. I changed at 15k.

machan from where do you buy honda transmiision fluid..i called sevral agents but they dont have...wht type of transmission you have ? manual or auto...also how aut prices...

Edited by kmcsb

• 2 weeks later...
Any Advise on mazda bg5s gear box oil change?any brand?

Usually the type/ grade of oil needed for your gearbox is either on the gearbox as a sticker or on the dip stick. Check that.

Also you have posted this question on the wrong thread as this thread is on Honda CVT gear box oil change intervals....

machan from where do you buy honda transmiision fluid..i called sevral agents but they dont have...wht type of transmission you have ? manual or auto...also how aut prices...

For my ek3 , auto with cvt box, I got the oil changed from stafford , it cost me around 10000 . They put 4 liters of oil , that's around 2000 a liter i think . I did this on last July 2012 (may be the prices have gone up a bit)

and for oil changed u can contact upul - Malabe (777 735 251)as well , he will know what type to put and mostly he's got the oil as well.