• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Reputed Car Sales In Sri Lanka

Lakshan Maduranga

Question

Hello guys,

I looked up some old posts, but couldn't find a thread dedicated to this topic. So I decided to open a new one.

I'm not sure to what extent it is ethical to post names of car sales here, but it will definitely help new comers (like me) to not to get their hands burned by "kalukada" businessmen.

Personally I want to know some details of reputed vehicle sales in SL as I'm searching to buy a car ASAP.

• As I've heard; some vehicle importers (even some reputed ones) buy damaged cars from auctions in Japan for a bargain price and repair them at their own garages in Japan, then import them to SL and sell them with a huge margin. (Not sure whether it is true or not)
  • As we all know,almost every car sale in SL, rolls back odometer to get a good value to the car.
  • Some, prints fake JAAI certificates and auction sheets.

Seriously, are there any reputed trustworthy vehicle traders left? Share your thoughts and previous experiences!?

Regards

Have a good day!

Don't judge the car you buy, based on the 'reputation' of the guy who sells it. Get the damn thing thoroughly inspected before you make a purchasing decision.That's the only way to go.

Yes; you are absolutely correct! Condition of the car is all that matters.

But, it's always better to go for a trustworthy seller, which gives you a peace of mind. Isn't it?

For an example; even though you inspect the car before you purchase; you can't literally check every part of the car and you can't guarantee it's odometer is not backdated, it's history and documents are not fake etc...

That's where sellers reputation comes in to the equation....

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Not gonna happen dude. We can't be a regulatory body, and there will always be legal issues, or worse, Dr. Silva tactics, if this kind of thing appears on AL.

Besides, its too easy for fakers to put posts to either try to destroy or build up certain places.

But, it's always better to go for a trustworthy seller, which gives you a peace of mind. Isn't it?

Not really... no. There are times when 'trustworthy' sellers make big blunders. Or even 'trustworthy' manufacturers (by Indian standards) like Tata, end up creating cars that catch fire for no reason. The perception of trust doesn't give you as much peace of mind, as proper research and using your brain might give you.

For an example; even though you inspect the car before you purchase; you can't literally check every part of the car and you can't guarantee it's odometer is not backdated, it's history and documents are not fake etc...

That's where sellers reputation comes in to the equation....

No you don't have to check every part of a vehicle before you buy. A smart car buyer would know what to check and what to ignore. For example, a smart car buyer would totally ignore the odometer reading, as it doesn't make any kind of sense. Same goes with the so-called JAAI certificates and the related nonsense. Anybody can print a piece of paper and if you decide to buy a car based on some notes on a piece of paper, then all I can say is you deserve a lemon. There's enough and more information in AL forum on how to inspect a car before you buy. Please go through them if you have the time and patience. If not, get a friend who really knows cars, to take a good look at the one that you are planning to buy. Remember that when you buy a used (in Sri Lanka or elsewhere) car, you are getting a USED car not a brand new one.

Not really... no. There are times when 'trustworthy' sellers make big blunders. Or even 'trustworthy' manufacturers (by Indian standards) like Tata, end up creating cars that catch fire for no reason. The perception of trust doesn't give you as much peace of mind, as proper research and using your brain might give you.

No you don't have to check every part of a vehicle before you buy. A smart car buyer would know what to check and what to ignore. For example, a smart car buyer would totally ignore the odometer reading, as it doesn't make any kind of sense. Same goes with the so-called JAAI certificates and the related nonsense. Anybody can print a piece of paper and if you decide to buy a car based on some notes on a piece of paper, then all I can say is you deserve a lemon. There's enough and more information in AL forum on how to inspect a car before you buy. Please go through them if you have the time and patience. If not, get a friend who really knows cars, to take a good look at the one that you are planning to buy. Remember that when you buy a used (in Sri Lanka or elsewhere) car, you are getting a USED car not a brand new one.

Agreed! I guess that's the way it is. None of the sellers can be labeled as "trustworthy", it all depends on the vehicle we buy.

Anyway I will get some expert involved cause honestly I have no idea how to check the engine etc. Thank you for your reply :)

You have not mentioned that what car you r looking for & the budget. If you are really bothered about those facts relted to a used car, why don't you buy one from agents with a warranty?

I'm looking for a Mazda Demio and my budget is 2.5-3 mil. And I'm not really "bothered".....but you can say "concerned". :prototyp:

I asked all my questions on a separate thread....but only one cared enough to answer! That's why I did not mention further details here. If you can.....please share your knowledge!

Here is the link:

Thank you! :D

'Lakshan Maduranga',

This used car business was created by 1977 government First was reconditioned vehicles.

There was no reconditioning done. Only Japanese did was repaint the vehicle with a new set of tires and a new battery was changed.

At that time we had a starved automobile market.

There after all sorts of unethical ways to make money Srilankan importers got them self geared. To my knowledge no accident cars were repaired in Japan they were brought down to Srilanka and repaired sold to buyers.

Just low rear double wheel vans was made to single wheel. Some vehicles which had front suspension changed to most wanted way to our buyers.

School buses were imported and normal passenger seats were fitted in srilanka. Seats were imported from old buses in junk yards of Japan only the frames of seats were imported because we had good seat redoing people in Srilanka.

Vehicles were cut into two and shipped in two different shipments welded to gather and sold to srilankan buyers.

Chassis numbers were changed to prove they are less than 5 years old. All certificates were forged to get away from law authorities.

Audiometers were adjusted from the start itself first was analogue later was the digital.

No importer can say that he has not done any of those above tings who are in business today.

If you take the Srilankan Billionaires there are few Motor vehicle importers are there in the first twenty.

So it is always better to go in for a new Vehicle instead of buying a used vehicle.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 2

'Lakshan Maduranga',

This used car business was created by 1977 government First was reconditioned vehicles.

There was no reconditioning done. Only Japanese did was repaint the vehicle with a new set of tires and a new battery was changed.

At that time we had a starved automobile market.

There after all sorts of unethical ways to make money Srilankan importers got them self geared. To my knowledge no accident cars were repaired in Japan they were brought down to Srilanka and repaired sold to buyers.

Just low rear double wheel vans was made to single wheel. Some vehicles which had front suspension changed to most wanted way to our buyers.

School buses were imported and normal passenger seats were fitted in srilanka. Seats were imported from old buses in junk yards of Japan only the frames of seats were imported because we had good seat redoing people in Srilanka.

Vehicles were cut into two and shipped in two different shipments welded to gather and sold to srilankan buyers.

Chassis numbers were changed to prove they are less than 5 years old. All certificates were forged to get away from law authorities.

Audiometers were adjusted from the start itself first was analogue later was the digital.

No importer can say that he has not done any of those above tings who are in business today.

If you take the Srilankan Billionaires there are few Motor vehicle importers are there in the first twenty.

So it is always better to go in for a new Vehicle instead of buying a used vehicle.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Thank you Sylvi Wijesinghe for your informative reply! :)

I get what you are saying. But, not all of us has a big budget to go for a brand new Japanese car. So I guess I will have to take the risk and go for a car which they call as a "reconditioned" car.

At least 75% of the vehicles you see on the road are reconditioned.(a guess) It can't be too bad right?

Edited by Lakshan Maduranga

Thank you Sylvi Wijesinghe for your informative reply! :)

I get what you are saying. But, not all of us has a big budget to go for a brand new Japanese car. So I guess I will have to take the risk and go for a car which they call as a "reconditioned" car.

At least 75% of the vehicles you see on the road are reconditioned.(a guess) It can't be too bad right?

There's a lot of things beyond our control. The history of the car you buy ins one such thing. Yes there's a possibility of getting a rotten lemon. But its not as high as the chances of getting a a rotten lemon in the 2nd hand market. If you're so unsure take a small test drive and do a physical all round inspection.

Don't loose sleep over it. Its like trying to find out how many boyfriends your future wife had before you. You may never know; As long as she's faithful and loving thats all that matters...

Most recondition car dealers don't offer test drives if i am not mistaken! I for one, cannot fathom how a car can be bought, irrespective of the mileage without test driving it. It may not necessarily show all the problems the car might have but at least you will be able to "feel" the car a bit before dolling out million of your hard earned money on it. With most of the modern jap cars being equipped with "complex" technologies that kept many car buyers away from euro's in the past, the risk of such untested purchases will be greater in the future.

'Lakshan Maduranga',

Re buying a Japanese used car you pay very high cost.There are no more reconditioned cars are exported by Japanese.

All vehicles which are available at sales points are used cars exported as it is. Even UK exports are used and exported as it is.

I came across a Navara cab few days back undercarriage was sand blasted and steam cleaned then sprayed with a undercoating. I requested the importer reason to do that he says there is a belief in Srilanka all UK vehicles are badly effected due to salt spray during the Winter.

I will still advice you to go in for any other car which is available in Srilanka very much cheaper made in other countries. I do not want to mention the manufacturing countries because there are lot of opposition and criticism to say they are crappy vehicles for those vehicles in the forum by few members.

I find most new vehicles which are sold in Srilanka are developing countries manufactured vehicles not Japanese.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I will still advice you to go in for any other car which is available in Srilanka very much cheaper made in other countries. I do not want to mention the manufacturing countries because there are lot of opposition and criticism to say they are crappy vehicles for those vehicles in the forum by few members.

I find most new vehicles which are sold in Srilanka are developing countries manufactured vehicles not Japanese.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

What you're indirectly saying is to go buy a Maruti. We all know your same old drumbeat when we hear it. And its not a 'few' members, but MOST members who tell you not to buy a maruti or a chinese car. If you buy a Japanese car there's an off hand probability that you MIGHT get a bad vehicle that has problems. But if you buy a Chinese/indian vehicle you KNOW a 100% you will have problems. Even sylvi himself got a brand new chinese van and it was breaking down all the time.

• Like 1

If you listen to Sylvi's crap, you will end up buying a chinese van that will need an engine overhaul after 3 months or an indian van that's a moving coffin. But hey, it is BRAND NEW anyway :D

Besides, what's the guarantee that the brand new vehicle that you buy, is not damaged in transit and repaired? Check out this thread:

If I were you, I wouldn't be worried about things like dent repairs, odo rollbacks etc. I will try to inspect the integrity of the chassis, verify the YoM mentioned by the seller with the model/year data available on the net and with the chassis numbers, I will look for signs of frontal and rear impact and things like that.

I fully agree with your own statement "At least 75% of the vehicles you see on the road are reconditioned.(a guess) It can't be too bad right?"

WHat you have here is an unfounded paranoia. Only thing you should worry about, is taking Sylvi's advice.

Dear All,

Since I am a reader of this forum since 2006, I should contribute my experience with this topic to make aware people who are buying the vehicles from vehicle sales. Due to the incident please do not ask name of car sale place, Car agent and car model. (But you may guess the agent and car models)

I was a victim of an accident car one month before.

This is the story.

I searched a car with many vehicles sales places and came to know with good UK Hybrid 2010 Car with more options (Rear Viper, Alloy Wheels etc) than Japanese Car in same year. The car exteriors and interior were excellent condition further price was considerably cheaper than the other places. Then I checked the vehicle documents UK registration, Bureau Veritas Certificate, Custom duty (they have paid SL RS 1,300,000 as custom duty) form etc.The documents are OK as per my knowledge. Since I was new to the hybrid I ask sales guy to release the vehicle to get an inspection report from the agent. After making appointment so I went with car and show to the agent. First they did a trial run and told me a sound coming from Driver’s door may be because due to two knobs in there just adjust them it would be OK then they plugged to the computer and told the car was OK and battery was 75% (If it is more than 60% then the battery is OK) so the inspection was cost nearly 5K. So I was happy with the car and purchased by pay in cash. They have done the registration and I got the registration number within 2 days.

While I was driving the car other than Carpet road the door sound was quite noisy and when we drive more than 60 MPH (100Km) then some “SOO” sound heard. Anyway once we go for interior cleaning we open the bonnet and saw nuts in driving seat side were got rusted and other side nuts were with brand new seal. I kept that in mind and went to meet the sales manager after two weeks and show the same things to him. While I am explaining the things to him I saw some difference in chassis paint when we check further we saw that car chassis had been welded and painted near engine mount (driver seat sound). That mean the car was an accident car.

So I got totally upset and talked with the sales Manager he told he did not know that before selling the vehicle (the car belong to the other party) if he could know it before then the car could have not been kept in his car sale. Further he told you had done the inspection from the agent before purchasing. Since I have registered the car I did not have any option to argue other than requests. Anyway I request him I want to change the car. He told me to come next day and he will give the answer after talking to real car importer. So I came next day and he told he did not have same hybrid model in his car sale further he told not to buy UK vehicle since now he does not have any guarantee about those UK vehicles and told me to select a vehicle which was imported from Japan. In his car sale only few Japanese cars were there and I opted to go non hybrid car even it was cost more than 50% of initial Hybrid car cost. Before purchasing again I have taken to the selected car to Agent (not the previous Hybrid agent) for inspection report .It was cost RS .7000 and I did not satisfy the way they have done it and since I was having previous experience so I went to the other place who do those inspection report. As per them the non hybrid car was excellent. Further I am 100% satisfy the way they inspected. (They did A trial run, see brake, parking gear, smoke test, all oils check and lifted the car and check chasis etc) just for RS 2500.

So I paid extra money and got pricy car even I dream. At finally I was lucky to escape from the accident hybrid car and appreciate the way Sales Manager deal with me by replacing the registered hybrid car without troubling me. I DO NOT HOPE ANY OTHER PERSON WILL DO THE SAME WAY HE NEGOTIATE WITH ME.

SO PLEASE CHECK AND CHECK PROPERLY YOUR VEHICLE BEFORE TAKING TO YOUR HAND. OTHERWISE WHOLE YOUR HAPPINES WILL BE TAKEN OUT TILL THAT VEHICELE IN YOUR HAND.

Since I was new to the hybrid I ask sales guy to release the vehicle to get an inspection report from the agent. After making appointment so I went with car and show to the agent. First they did a trial run and told me a sound coming from Driver’s door may be because due to two knobs in there just adjust them it would be OK then they plugged to the computer and told the car was OK and battery was 75% (If it is more than 60% then the battery is OK) so the inspection was cost nearly 5K. So I was happy with the car and purchased by pay in cash. They have done the registration and I got the registration number within 2 days.

While I was driving the car other than Carpet road the door sound was quite noisy and when we drive more than 60 MPH (100Km) then some “SOO” sound heard. Anyway once we go for interior cleaning we open the bonnet and saw nuts in driving seat side were got rusted and other side nuts were with brand new seal. I kept that in mind and went to meet the sales manager after two weeks and show the same things to him. While I am explaining the things to him I saw some difference in chassis paint when we check further we saw that car chassis had been welded and painted near engine mount (driver seat sound). That mean the car was an accident car.

how did this escape the inspection process?

Dear All,

Since I am a reader of this forum since 2006, I should contribute my experience with this topic to make aware people who are buying the vehicles from vehicle sales. Due to the incident please do not ask name of car sale place, Car agent and car model. (But you may guess the agent and car models)

I was a victim of an accident car one month before.

This is the story.

I searched a car with many vehicles sales places and came to know with good UK Hybrid 2010 Car with more options (Rear Viper, Alloy Wheels etc) than Japanese Car in same year. The car exteriors and interior were excellent condition further price was considerably cheaper than the other places. Then I checked the vehicle documents UK registration, Bureau Veritas Certificate, Custom duty (they have paid SL RS 1,300,000 as custom duty) form etc.The documents are OK as per my knowledge. Since I was new to the hybrid I ask sales guy to release the vehicle to get an inspection report from the agent. After making appointment so I went with car and show to the agent. First they did a trial run and told me a sound coming from Driver’s door may be because due to two knobs in there just adjust them it would be OK then they plugged to the computer and told the car was OK and battery was 75% (If it is more than 60% then the battery is OK) so the inspection was cost nearly 5K. So I was happy with the car and purchased by pay in cash. They have done the registration and I got the registration number within 2 days.

So I got totally upset and talked with the sales Manager he told he did not know that before selling the vehicle (the car belong to the other party) if he could know it before then the car could have not been kept in his car sale. Further he told you had done the inspection from the agent before purchasing. Since I have registered the car I did not have any option to argue other than requests. Anyway I request him I want to change the car. He told me to come next day and he will give the answer after talking to real car importer. So I came next day and he told he did not have same hybrid model in his car sale further he told not to buy UK vehicle since now he does not have any guarantee about those UK vehicles and told me to select a vehicle which was imported from Japan. In his car sale only few Japanese cars were there and I opted to go non hybrid car even it was cost more than 50% of initial Hybrid car cost. Before purchasing again I have taken to the selected car to Agent (not the previous Hybrid agent) for inspection report .It was cost RS .7000 and I did not satisfy the way they have done it and since I was having previous experience so I went to the other place who do those inspection report. As per them the non hybrid car was excellent. Further I am 100% satisfy the way they inspected. (They did A trial run, see brake, parking gear, smoke test, all oils check and lifted the car and check chasis etc) just for RS 2500.

So I paid extra money and got pricy car even I dream. At finally I was lucky to escape from the accident hybrid car and appreciate the way Sales Manager deal with me by replacing the registered hybrid car without troubling me. I DO NOT HOPE ANY OTHER PERSON WILL DO THE SAME WAY HE NEGOTIATE WITH ME.

SO PLEASE CHECK AND CHECK PROPERLY YOUR VEHICLE BEFORE TAKING TO YOUR HAND. OTHERWISE WHOLE YOUR HAPPINES WILL BE TAKEN OUT TILL THAT VEHICELE IN YOUR HAND.

Let me get this straight, the car sale guy gave you a full refund even though the hybrid car was registered under your name?

Let me get this straight, the car sale guy gave you a full refund even though the hybrid car was registered under your name?

It wasnt a refund from what I understood. More like store credit (cos he was asked to choose another car from the car-sale)...

I would believe that RASKD has the good sense to take his name off the the book (and put in the car sale) as the owner.

If you listen to Sylvi's crap, you will end up buying a chinese van that will need an engine overhaul after 3 months or an indian van that's a moving coffin. But hey, it is BRAND NEW anyway :D

Besides, what's the guarantee that the brand new vehicle that you buy, is not damaged in transit and repaired? Check out this thread:

http://www.autolanka...stomer-service/

If I were you, I wouldn't be worried about things like dent repairs, odo rollbacks etc. I will try to inspect the integrity of the chassis, verify the YoM mentioned by the seller with the model/year data available on the net and with the chassis numbers, I will look for signs of frontal and rear impact and things like that.

I fully agree with your own statement "At least 75% of the vehicles you see on the road are reconditioned.(a guess) It can't be too bad right?"

WHat you have here is an unfounded paranoia. Only thing you should worry about, is taking Sylvi's advice.

'Crosswind',

Please note I do not post crap,

1970 Long before you were born. I went to Japan for the Expo 1970.that was the first time they had an international exhibition after they raised after 2nd world war from ashes. I handled a Japanese machine in various countries till late 1980s. I never condemn their technology.

You are condemning Chinese and Indian Vehicles.

Srilanka government far back in 1970s gave our Bandarnayaka International conference hall to build to Chinese. They build that with their machinery. Down south they did another project that was Gin Ganga there too they used their machinery. Hambanthota Harbor was totally built with their machinery.

Srilanka government imported entire range of Chinese heavy machinery to build rural roads.

There are more than 100 Chinese buses imported to Srilanka for tourist transport.

Indian Buses had taken our entire passenger transport. Indian Maruti cars are the fastest selling new cars in srilanka.

My Chinese wan gave me trouble due to my fault not because of any of their technology failure.

I am capable of attending to any automobile or industrial machinery. Any mechanical failure to put in order.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'Crosswind',

Please note I do not post crap,

1970 Long before you were born. I went to Japan for the Expo 1970.that was the first time they had an international exhibition after they raised after 2nd world war from ashes. I handled a Japanese machine in various countries till late 1980s. I never condemn their technology.

You are condemning Chinese and Indian Vehicles.

Srilanka government far back in 1970s gave our Bandarnayaka International conference hall to build to Chinese. They build that with their machinery. Down south they did another project that was Gin Ganga there too they used their machinery. Hambanthota Harbor was totally built with their machinery.

Srilanka government imported entire range of Chinese heavy machinery to build rural roads.

There are more than 100 Chinese buses imported to Srilanka for tourist transport.

Indian Buses had taken our entire passenger transport. Indian Maruti cars are the fastest selling new cars in srilanka.

My Chinese wan gave me trouble due to my fault not because of any of their technology failure.

I am capable of attending to any automobile or industrial machinery. Any mechanical failure to put in order.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Irony is completely lost on you isn't it Unkel?

You say "I do not post crap" and then go on to do exactly that.... exactly how is all the garbage you've posted above relevant to this topic may i ask?

No Comment :rolleyes:

how did this escape the inspection process?

I went to the Hybrid Agent via my Friend's connection who works in same company as top executive person.

So I just wanted to meet a top guy in there service plant.

When I go to arrange the job by providing Chasis No, the counter person told the same Chasis No had been entered to the their service satiation before. So I asked the name of the person who send the vehicle to there and noted the same.

So that means this service people in there might know the vehicle history before. In there they have just done a trial run, checked the car history by plugging to the computer, open the bonnet and checked oils and said the vehicle was OK. They did not lift the vehicle and did not check the chasis.

So I thought they know the vehicle before and recommend to me since it came via my friend connection.

Then I went to Vehicle Sales Place and checked the import documents. The counter person said name was in their LC document as importer.

Then I ask Vehicle Sales Person, why did you send the car to there? They told once they clear the car from port the normal battery (not the Lithium Battery) was not functioning so they went to the agent and replace the 12V battery and provide me the Battery Warranty Certificate.