• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Triumph T R Restore Project

MasterDon

at the risk of sounding stupid...what's an electric overdrive machang? some kinda motor assist thing?

Machan I won't even pretend to understand how it works,It's all magic to me,but basically what it does is at the push of a button increases the speed of the prop shaft compared to the speed of the input shaft(crank revoloution speed),thereby increasing the rev range per gear and in top gear it sort of acts as an extra gear without there ever being an actual physical gear.

Perhaps our more learned members could explain how it works in detail.Till then let me quote Wikipedia for you.Please refer Kavvz's links for more details.

The overdrive consists of an electrically or hydraulically operated epicyclic gear train bolted behind the transmission unit. It can either couple the input driveshaft directly to the output shaft (or propeller shaft) (1:1), or increase the output speed so that it turns faster than the input shaft (1:1 + n). Thus the output shaft may be "overdriven" relative to the input shaft. In newer transmissions, the overdrive speed(s) are typically as a result of combinations of planetary/epicyclic gearsets which are integrated in the transmission. In these cases, there is no separately identifiable "overdrive" unit. In older vehicles, it is sometimes actuated by a knob or button, often incorporated into the gearshift knob, and does not require operation of the clutch. Newer vehicles have electronic overdrive in which the computer automatically adjusts to the conditions of power need and load.

It's proving to be highly unreliable though.My minions are struggling to keep it working consistently even after I brought down some replacement parts.I'm begining think if it's worth all this fuss.

Here's an external view of my car's Laycock de Normanville Type A EOD unit.(highlighted in red).

tDkKHKO.jpg

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 1

Machan I won't even pretend to understand how it works,It's all magic to me,but basically what it does is at the push of a button increases the speed of the prop shaft compared to the speed of the input shaft(crank revoloution speed),thereby increasing the rev range per gear and in top gear it sort of acts as an extra gear without there ever being an actual physical gear.

In most old cars its basically an additional small gearbox (epicyclic gearbox) that is strapped on at the back of the gearbox giving an increased gear ratio to the output of the gearbox. So basically all gear ratios are increased when the overdrive is engaged. Its mainly used to let the engine cruise at a lower RPM when cruising at high speed for long periods (i.e highways) to lower the strain on the engine.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automatic-transmission8.htm

Edited by maliths
  • Like 2

[OT]Since the thread is not on the topic at the moment, What are Tr 3s in SL? (if there are many just say the no), i see a red one in rajagiriya area.

And i have heard many get the cut and bud of these beauties to SL, is this true?

Edited by sachinwick

[OT]Since the thread is not on the topic at the moment, What are Tr 3s in SL? (if there are many just say the no), i see a red one in rajagiriya area.

And i have heard many get the cut and bud of these beauties to SL, is this true?

There are a few tr3s.That red one is Mr.Damascene Fernando's car...No cut and bud TRs here..every car has been accounted for

Yes the OT posts will be removed

Edited by MasterDon

There are a few tr3s.That red one is Mr.Damascene Fernando's car...No cut and bud TRs here..every car has been accounted for

Yes the OT posts will be romoved

Ado it was a cold day bung...and stop staring at me nipples you weirdo. :P

Thank u :) i have always wanted a triumph tr2 or a tr3 or even a spitfire, but no owner is willing to let their beauties go. Anyways im restoring a Wolseley 15/50

looking forward for more updates on your treasure :) and hoping to see it at the hill climb this year

Edited by sachinwick

i have always wanted a triumph tr2 or a tr3 or even a spitfire, but no owner is willing to let their beauties go. Anyways im restoring a Wolseley 15/50

You are? No way? That's a pretty nice project too. Why not have your own thread for it? It'd be pretty interesting I'm sure....

Yes open a thread...I have one those too.My dad bought it as a donor car to restore the MG Magnette.

Wow MD, exactly how big is your garage man !

Full of admiration for the effort you put in to these beauties. Great work boss..

• Like 1

Wow MD, exactly how big is your garage man !

Full of admiration for the effort you put in to these beauties. Great work boss..

Yes open a thread...I have one those too.My dad bought it as a donor car to restore the MG Magnette.[/quote

dude seriously?? What else do u own? #just curious

I have a few cars,most are wrecks....the story with the Wolseley was that a tinker broke the MG's windsreen and when we were looking for a replacement we came across this 15/50 which was the Magnette's sister car.So we got the whole car for like 40k,this was in the late 90s so classics weren' this much in demand back then.

I have a few cars,most are wrecks....the story with the Wolseley was that a tinker broke the MG's windsreen and when we were looking for a replacement we came across this 15/50 which was the Magnette's sister car.So we got the whole car for like 40k,this was in the late 90s so classics weren' this much in demand back then.

I guess you have at least 10 cars although u say a few :D

Frikkin hell just 40k :o is it running condition?

MD what happened to that Austin A30 that u bought recently did u fire her up ?

We did indeed.The engine runs like a charm...It's an A35.

I guess you have at least 10 cars although u say a few :D Frikkin hell just 40k :o is it running condition?

No,Even when we bought it it wasn't a runner.If everything was there it shouldn't be that hard to get it up and running but as I said it was a donor car so most of the trim and mechanical bits are missing.

Looks great now. Havnt electroplated the bumper?

I haven't plated anything yet,nor will I for another couple of months.You have to understand that although the car is running it is not even 70% completed.There's still the interior work,paint,chrome plating etc etc to be done.And I refuse to move on to those things untill I'm sure she is mechanically sound.It's still being run-in at the moment and we're discovering more and more mechanical issues.For example she still overheats every 5 miles and just yesterday the dynamo pulley snapped right off tearing the fan belt with it,not to mention a half a dozen oil,petrol and water leaks...So untill those issues and others we may find are 100% rectified there will not be any progress in the cosmetic side.

• Like 1