• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Triumph T R Restore Project

MasterDon

The oil filter looks cool in red :)

Yeah.Thought I's carry the red,black,white and chorme theme through out the car

Looks like something outta the pages of the Car-masutra... :)

Ado I never thought of it like that...you sick bastard lol :lol:

if i'm not mistaken, the car on top was formerly owned by a late president :)

haha you remembered...lots of great stories behind these cars,infact those stories almost half the fun of owning them.

Deciding the actual final colour of the car was very tough on me.because it has to keep me entertained for years to come.I was very tempted by red(Signal red to be exact) and British racing green which were both original colours for this car.but in the end I decided on Pearl white.but I didn't want it to look like a common corrolla either so I chose the pearl with a slight leaf bud green tinge.The exact name of the colour is Bianco Fuji Pearl white.Its primarily a Maserati and Ferrari colour.

The engine bay needed to be finished off first before the chassis and the body could be mated.The rest of the body will remain brilliant white(base colour) for now untill the very end...Here are some pictures of the engine bay.The pics were taken indoors so actual colour shade in sunlight will be much lighter...

plM4D.jpg

YY0Zh.jpg

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 2

....aaand we have a rolling chassis ladies and gentlemen!The engine,the gearbox,prop shaft rear axle all have been mounted on to the chassis.The front and rear suspension parts,front/rear brakes,brake lines,fuel lines also have been fitted.Ofcourse it took us a helluva lot of work to get to this stage and I'll try and disect it all for you here when I get the time....

7fs5f.jpg

FraWH.jpg

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 4

I must say progress is brisk by any standards I've seen. Well done MasterDon!

Thanks GTAm!...I got 2 mechanics,a tinker and a painter working full time on this at my place.Also myself and another bloke lends a helping hand from time to time...An upholsterer and an auto electrician will join our ranks soon...

So we re-attached the body tub to the chassis again.Hopefully it will be my unborn children who'll have take it off again when it needs another restore in the distant future...

Once again guys it took a lot of work to get here,and I will put up a full detailed report when I get the time.

The body shell went in without any fuss,but we had to remove the carb assembly and the petrol pump....

I'm having to watermark certain images because people keep stealing them and posting them as if their own.Please let me know if you come across these images on FB or anywhere else.

gjb00.jpg

XCYkO.jpg

1tO0Z.jpg

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 2

I also got some new toys recently.A 2 ton engine hoist and another air compressor(used)...next up is a electric welding plant to replace my old gas one...

vOJzY.jpg

9oOnH.jpg

Also guys.I'm doing some major engine overhauls to a 2C diesel engined Corrolla Sprinter wagon and a Isuzu elf 4.5ltr SITEC turbo engine.Let me know if you have any issues regarding these engines cos I think have all the mechanical bits figured out.

3HGc1.jpg

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 2

I also got some new toys recently.A 2 ton engine hoist and another air compressor(used)...next up is a electric welding plant to replace my old gas one...

vOJzY.jpg

9oOnH.jpg

Also guys.I'm doing some major engine overhauls to a 2C diesel engined Corrolla Sprinter wagon and a Isuzu elf 4.5ltr SITEC turbo engine.Let me know if you have any issues regarding these engines cos I think have all the mechanical bits figured out.

3HGc1.jpg

great stuff mate. that crane is awesome! i too am thinking of buying a MIG gas welder. btw junior just saw your post and wants to know how much the Luigi car is :D guy is a major "Cars" fan :D

great stuff mate. that crane is awesome! i too am thinking of buying a MIG gas welder. btw junior just saw your post and wants to know how much the Luigi car is :D guy is a major "Cars" fan :D

haha gotta love that kid...tell him he'll be the first to go for a ride in it when its done...Although the way things are going he'll be able to drive it himself by the time I get around to restoring it...

vOJzY.jpg

9oOnH.jpg

3HGc1.jpg

MD I ask out of curiosity. When you say an electric welding plant, do you mean an Arc welding plant? My question is can you substitute a gas welding rig with an electric one? I ask because I'm yet to see an electric welding plant used by body works people......

MD I ask out of curiosity. When you say an electric welding plant, do you mean an Arc welding plant? My question is can you substitute a gas welding rig with an electric one? I ask because I'm yet to see an electric welding plant used by body works people......

Let me rephrase that Don.What I meant was that I could use an electric plant right about now because now that the bodywork is all done we're in the process of making the brackets for the buffers and over-riders and such which requires working with thicker metal,and my oxygen tank depletes very quickly doing them.And refilling the tank frequently is quite a hassle.Also I'm having to buy Carbide almost daily.So an Arc welder should be a good investment considering my future projects as well....and you'e quite right.I have also not seen anyone use an electric plant for delicate bodywork.

Edited by MasterDon

Let me rephrase that Don.What I meant was that I could use an electric plant right about now because now that the bodywork is all done we're in the process of making the brackets for the buffers and over-riders and such which requires working with thicker metal,and my oxygen tank depletes very quickly doing them.And refilling the tank frequently is quite a hassle.Also I'm having to buy Carbide almost daily.So an Arc welder should be a good investment considering my future projects as well....and you'e quite right.I have also not seen anyone use an electric plant for delicate bodywork.

as we discussed a while ago...best is to go for a mig welder :) unfortunately in SL it's just catching up...no more slag chip at and unlike stick welding, chances of burn through are less.

not the best example but you get the idea

• Like 1

as we discussed a while ago...best is to go for a mig welder :) unfortunately in SL it's just catching up...no more slag chip at and unlike stick welding, chances of burn through are less.

not the best example but you get the idea

Yeah I've been thinking about it since you left.Seems like a very good alternative.The main issue is refilling.My guy is using up a single oxygen tank in about 1-2 weeks.And you mentioned the only Argon refilling station is in Colombo.So if I have to lug that tank to Colombo and back frequently it beats the purpose for which I wanted an electric arc plant in the first place.But if the shielding gas depletion rate is slower than my current oxygen one I might go for it...thoughts?

Edited by MasterDon

Yeah I've been thinking about it since you left.Seems like a very good alternative.The main issue is refilling.My guy is using up a single oxygen tank in about 1-2 weeks.And you mentioned the only Argon refilling station is in Colombo.So if I have to lug that tank to Colombo and back frequently it beats the purpose for which I wanted an electric arc plant in the first place.But if the shielding gas depletion rate is slower than my current oxygen one I might go for it...thoughts?

machang argon refilling can be done by a plant near the oil refinery in sapugaskanda. that's pretty close to you...

Although i'm not 100% sure...argon depletion has to be less than O2.... cos argon is released only when you pull the trigger to make a weld. unlike with O2 that's used to maintain a flame welding or not.

this is the place...

http://www.industrialgases.com.lk/

you can get your o2 from here too mate

this place is on baseline road. gases, plants and accessories http://www.absonsexim.com/

this is another place in wattala that sells plants http://www.cnngrouplk.com/profile.htm

MD

called up the guys

250-270amp plant costs 130-160k. wire feeder etc all there. comes with after sales service and warranty

These plants use CO2 as shielding gas instead of argon. 30kg cylinder alone costs 28k. Refill is some 6k odd.

Now it explains why MIG welders haven't really caught up in SL :P

Panchi joints have chinese units for 30k+..no warranty and no after sales support i suppose. Wondering for home use whether that sorta rig will work.

Still need to get a bloody cylinder though :(

Aw dam that seems a bit pricey.I'll try and take a look at the Chinese ones.If not I'll go for a conventional E welder and reduce the workload on my gas plant.The mig weld seems pretty neat though with virtually less messy splatter.

There is a place at Wanawasala road that sells tanks.Called Princo or Pinto enterprises.I also bought my tank from them a few years back,their's was the cheapest.It was 12k back then for a large tank.but now it's around 20k I heard.

Edited by MasterDon

• 2 months later...

Hello again.There is no real progress to report.The constant rain is wreaking havoc on my plans and my car restoration budget is dwindling rapidly too. So she is sorta hibernating at the moment.

KNn74.jpg

Look what I got!....lol found her lying beside the road all alone and I couldn't bare to leave her like that so I brought her home.As always I'm now having buyers remorse,there is no way I'm getting around to restoring this.Some may say she would have been better off with another owner...ah well what to do.I'm a greedy bastard..lol

KGFvE.jpg

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 2

MD

called up the guys

250-270amp plant costs 130-160k. wire feeder etc all there. comes with after sales service and warranty

These plants use CO2 as shielding gas instead of argon. 30kg cylinder alone costs 28k. Refill is some 6k odd.

Now it explains why MIG welders haven't really caught up in SL :P

Panchi joints have chinese units for 30k+..no warranty and no after sales support i suppose. Wondering for home use whether that sorta rig will work.

Still need to get a bloody cylinder though :(

Ripper,

Wouldnt a 100-130amp unit suffice for general welding work. I think a 130amp is good for welding mild steel upto about 3mm thickness so its certainly good enough for body panels etc.

There are also gas less MIG welders which use a wire with flux but I believe these are a bit messy (splatter etc) but does away with the need for gas.

Malith

congrats on buying the Austin

does the engine run or dead

Hello again.There is no real progress to report.The constant rain is wreaking havoc on my plans and my car restoration budget is dwindling rapidly too. So she is sorta hibernating at the moment.

KNn74.jpg

Look what I got!....lol found her lying beside the road all alone and I couldn't bare to leave her like that so I brought her home.As always I'm now having buyers remorse,there is no way I'm getting around to restoring this.Some may say she would have been better off with another owner...ah well what to do.I'm a greedy bastard..lol

KGFvE.jpg

Its been a while since this thread came up and I took the opportunity to read over some of the previous pages and was pleasantly surprised at the fantastic cars it features, including that great review of a TR3A by Motorque.

MD: You never really DID tell us about the your next project or elaborate on that tantalizing picture of a RR valve cover. Also which president owned this Citroen you posted?

Any thoughts on a colour for the TR MD? What was the original colour?

Not sure if this the final colour you're referring to, but MD gets all fancy about some pearl white with a green hue on this post

Overall: What a great collection of posts- Kudos to all that contributed.

Edited by Kavvz

Any thoughts on a colour for the TR MD? What was the original colour?

The original colour stated on the reg book is Signal red GTAm.We found traces of of red when we were removing the rust,...As for the final colour I've decided on Bianco Fuji pearl white.please refer the linked post for more details. http://forum.autolan...160#entry218337

Its been a while since this thread came up and I took the opportunity to read over some of the previous pages and was pleasantly surprised at the fantastic cars it features, including that great review of a TR3A by Motorque.

MD: You never really DID tell us about the your next project or elaborate on that tantalizing picture of a RR valve cover. Also which president owned this Citroen you posted?

Not sure if this the final colour you're referring to, but MD gets all fancy about some pearl white with a green hue on this post

Overall: What a great collection of posts- Kudos to all that contributed.

I'll update on the other projects soon Kavvz.I have some minor progress regarding the Jaguar,the 2 CV.

congrats on buying the Austin

does the engine run or dead

I don't know.I didn't bother starting her up.But all the bits are there and the owner says he used the car regularly up untill 2010.So it should be OK.

Good stuff as always MD. Rust bucket collection is steadily improving i see :) I here i thought you were done with buying :D :D :P

At least thats what you were saying last time i was at your place :D

I'm sure should the need arise...you can easily flog the austin