• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

nano31

In a vehicle which is not equipped with ABS, if one wheel's brake power is less vehicle tends to go to a side (side with more brake power) but this is not happening with ABS; it just go strait (before stoping) even one or more wheel/'s brake not functioning!

So how should we check if all four brake units are functioning properly in a car with ABS?

I had my R/front brake pad fallen twice and each time the pad is worn out severely but the L/brake pads are all most new.

I feel my car' brake power is less. (comp. to CR27 and CE 110, 1996 Manual)

This low brake power issue had been there for 1 yr now. Other than the less brake power and less worn L/brake pad all other components looks quite ok

My car is CE110 Diesel, Automatic 1998 model with ABS

Edited by nano31

In a vehicle which is not equipped with ABS, if one wheel's brake power is less vehicle tends to go to a side (side with more brake power) but this is not happening with ABS; it just go strait (before stoping) even one or more wheel/'s brake not functioning!

So how should we check if all four brake units are functioning properly in a car with ABS?

correct me if i'm wrong fellas but the common way mechanics checking is the abs is working or not is by brake two tyres in the road and two tyres in the dirt if abs functioning properly car don't pull to the side and you can check the abs working or not by with a help of obd reader.

btw if abs is faulty in one tyre abs is not working and abs light comes on

Edited by nexus

correct me if i'm wrong fellas but the usual way mechanics checking is the abs is working or not is by brake two tyres in the road and two tyres in the dirt if abs functioning properly car don't pull to the side and you can check the abs working or not by with a help of obd reader.

One side on a gravel surface and other two in tarmac... Even after OBD check. they usually run for this in test run..

One side on a gravel surface and other two in tarmac... Even after OBD check. they usually run for this in test run..

if abs is faulty when scanning abs system with obd scanner it will show error codes in abs system the reason they check it that way after a scan is check if those error codes have come back again.

Dear friends this not about ABS. Brake should work no matter ABS is there or not.

My question is how to check the brake power of all four wheels in a car equipped with ABS?

For Ex: Say brake or L/front wheel is very less due to some issue since the car is having ABS it will not drift to a side (rite), so how do we check brake power of each wheels?

Edited by nano31

Dear friends this not about ABS. Brake should work no matter ABS is there or not.

My question is how to check the brake power of all four wheels in a car equipped with ABS?

For Ex: Say brake or L/front wheel is very less due to some issue since the car is having ABS it will not drift to a side (rite), so how do we check brake power of each wheels?

Despite if the vehicle has ABS or not if the brakes on one side is not working it will always pull to the other side...

The ABS ONLY kicks in if a wheel locks under heavy braking...

• Like 1

Didnt you say you replaced only your Right side pad ? Usually you need to replace the set at the same time and after fixing chek if it rotates freely.

It could also be that your disk on one side is worn out too much,or could be any number of things from brake booster to caliper problem so you should get the entire brake system checked, but I don't know of any specialized garage which has expertise in this area.. This may not be due to your ABS, if any ABS fault the light will come on, unless someone has not tampered with it before.

Your help on selecting good quality brake pads (Other than from Toyota lanka or high end products like Brembo) which is available in spare parts shop; would be greatly appreciated.

i will tel you how to do.

disconnect wire socket from ABS unit. and take the vehicle to sand road and check the break. you can examine which wheel not have break power.

Re-connect ABS wire socket after checking the break.

Checking break without ABS is very simple work.

Do you know where is your ABS unit in your CE110?

Edited by Nilantha

In the market there is a product called JFBK, Is it good brand as well?

You mean FBK?

They are decent when it comes to braking, but, the brake dust is a whole another story. If you are have alloy wheels I would suggest to look for another brand as these are horrible when it comes to brake dust. Have a set on my truck right now and I'm really regretting installing them. Also beware of non-genuine ones.

@jdnet,

There are three types FBL,JFBK and FBK according to spare part shop sellers. Please note that the shape of letter J is different yet I havent seen any FBK.

Get FBL you won't regret. But a bit pricey as made in japan. As per my mech they are as good as the toyota ones.

FBK is not made in Japan but JFBK is made in japan according to the box :) but my mech said they are not up to the genuine toyota standard. FBK is not bad but you'll need to find a pair that is really FBK.

I once had a brand called sakura and they are terrible just avoid it

• Like 1

Is there any other cause for the brake pad to falloff other than worn out disk and/or brake pad?

You mean the break pad falling off the plate on the back of it? You probably got a bad set of pads. I haven't seen that happen, although it very well can. What i've seen is the brake shoes on drum brakes seperating from the backing, getting jammed and causing the wheel to sieze movement.

You mean the break pad falling off the plate on the back of it? You probably got a bad set of pads. I haven't seen that happen, although it very well can. What i've seen is the brake shoes on drum brakes seperating from the backing, getting jammed and causing the wheel to sieze movement.

It is the complete brake pad which falling off.

This happens three times (2 for right, 1 for left). At the time of falling it is warn off but the metal plate of the pad is NOT exposed!

Is it due to worn out brake disk? Or stuck brake calipers?

FBL are probably the only ones that are genuinely Japanese, other is MK (blue box) which is both Indonesian and Japanese and the Japanese ones are at a similar price to the FBL and says made in Japan in both the box and the brake pad.

JFBK used to be from Japan, but not sure if they are any more, and there are many duplicates. FBK used to be alright, its always been a cheap alternative but I have herd that there are some duplicates in this as well.

Buy from a reputed dealer, and always try to look at the box and the pad for "made in Japan", however still you need to be careful of the duplicates.

I once experienced a rattle from the front wheels (Lancer CS3A) and found out that the brake pad retainer clips were missing. I’m not sure if the CE110 has these, but these retainer clips prevent free movement/rattle of the brake pad within the caliper (also preventing fall off).

What I did was purchase a new set of brake pad retainer clips and the issue was solved.

smbrakretainerszc4.jpg

You might want to check if this is a possibility with your car. Hope this helps.

Edited by Davy

• 7 years later...

Hi All,

Has anyone fixed stuck brake capliers on their own? Also does anyone have any recomendations for some good youtube clips detailing the process? 

[Didn't use the car for a while and during a short run yesterday I realized one of the rear calipers is stuck. Normally I'd take it to the local under-the-mango-tree garage, but with the current situation I'd rather avoid the contact and do it myself if possible. ]

Any tips, recommendations, youtube clip links that you guys think are useful will be welcome.

Thanks! 

30 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

Hi All,

Has anyone fixed stuck brake capliers on their own? Also does anyone have any recomendations for some good youtube clips detailing the process? 

[Didn't use the car for a while and during a short run yesterday I realized one of the rear calipers is stuck. Normally I'd take it to the local under-the-mango-tree garage, but with the current situation I'd rather avoid the contact and do it myself if possible. ]

Any tips, recommendations, youtube clip links that you guys think are useful will be welcome.

Thanks! 

@Kavvz I haven't performed the job myself but, I have watched some good video tutorials on brake jobs.. I suggest you watch the detailed videos by ChrisFix.. there are multiple videos on brake jobs and this is on replacing the calipers which might come in handy for you.

• Like 1