• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tyre Repair (Tyre Stitching)

luckey007

Friends,

My almost new tyre (ran only 500km) had a tear after hitting the kerb. It is around 1 inch long and in the outer surface(mean doesnot touch the road, the area where the brand name lies) The last option me to go for a new tyre. I have heard there are places who do "stitching" and tyre walkanizing.Is it a possible task? Do you know such places in Colombo? If so please let me know the exact place or a contact no.and the likely cost. It is better if I can use it as "tubeless" but I do even satisfy if it is "driveble".

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Luckey

Friends,

My almost new tyre (ran only 500km) had a tear after hitting the kerb. It is around 1 inch long and in the outer surface(mean doesnot touch the road, the area where the brand name lies) The last option me to go for a new tyre. I have heard there are places who do "stitching" and tyre walkanizing.Is it a possible task? Do you know such places in Colombo? If so please let me know the exact place or a contact no.and the likely cost. It is better if I can use it as "tubeless" but I do even satisfy if it is "driveble".

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Luckey

Get the tyre replaced. Even a used tyre from a tyre shop will be better than trying to repair a tyre with a broken side wall

• Like 3

If you are not been condemed to be hange tomorrow don't do it.

If the whole 4 tiers are new just buy the damaged one.

Atleast try rebuilding you'r old tier.(The one you had before you bought this)

The worst thing you can do is stich something that transmits all the control of you'r vehicle into the road.

If it gives way you'r just a sitting duck.

Friends,

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Luckey

Yes, you should definitely do it since it will save your new tire.

-JDNET-

Members,

I do agree with members who discouraged for repairing Tires.

But during the last regime when import restrictions were there were number of repairers in Colombo and outskirts of Colombo. In 1970s UK Company established professional repair center in Colombo 00200 at Waxall street. I installed the repair machinery for them. They even had a facility to repair off road Tires.

During the 2 World War days few Indians brought the Tire repair technology from India to Srilanka.

The only two living existing repairing from that old generation are operating one is opposite the Ratnawali picture hall at Jaela. One old person.

One is at kadawatha going towards kandy before you come to Kadawatha town on the right hand side there is a old person having a repair shop.

I have repaired Tires more than 20 times before the free imports never gave away but the speed newer traveled more than 40 kilometers.

Now improved roads driving speeds are increased I personally do not recommend to repair and use at high speeds it is good to keep as a spare wheel.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Members,

I do agree with members who discouraged for repairing Tires.

But during the last regime when import restrictions were there were number of repairers in Colombo and outskirts of Colombo. In 1970s UK Company established professional repair center in Colombo 00200 at Waxall street. I installed the repair machinery for them. They even had a facility to repair off road Tires.

During the 2 World War days few Indians brought the Tire repair technology from India to Srilanka.

The only two living existing repairing from that old generation are operating one is opposite the Ratnawali picture hall at Jaela. One old person.

One is at kadawatha going towards kandy before you come to Kadawatha town on the right hand side there is a old person having a repair shop.

I have repaired Tires more than 20 times before the free imports never gave away but the speed newer traveled more than 40 kilometers.

Now improved roads driving speeds are increased I personally do not recommend to repair and use at high speeds it is good to keep as a spare wheel.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

in a nutshell....would you gamble with your life, that of your passengers and also other road users to save a few thousand bucks?

I think not!!! I'd rather keep the vehicle at home and collect some money with the fuel costs to get a new tire

• Like 1

I agree with the others.I gotta be honest I've had a few tyres repaired aswell but they were for cars that rarely get used.On all them you can feel the slight niggle where it was heated and patched,so it gets really annoying after awhile ...As others said on a everyday car where you risk the lives of you and your family I would advice against it.Get a new tyre and repair the damaged one and use it on he spare wheel.

Members,

When Tire rebuilders reputed (Will not mention the Rebuilders names) find that side walls of Tires are cracked thy used to repair them with a guarantee.

I have not rebuild Tires for last twenty years as new Tires are available.

Still CTB Rebuild Tiers and use for rear wheels new Tiers for front wheels.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• 7 months later...

Dear Friends,

I observed small lump on side wall of the tire. (It was front left tire and immediately I exchange it with the rear left tire).

Tire manufactured in 13th week of 2011

Mileage done 21,500km

Tire size: 165/55R14

Brand: Silverstone

(My cars is a Perodua Viva Elite)

Should I replaced it with new tire immediately or can I use it for some time?

If replacement needed , can you suggest any good brand?

tireh.jpg

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

Sampath,

I had a nasty experience in Australia with a small bulge like that which I did not take too seriously and the darned thing burst on the 110kmph highway. Luckily it was a rear tyre on a Pajero and I felt something a miss when I began to sence the bulge hitting the surface and it was getting worse gradually and I drastically reduced speed and kept towards the edge when it burst.

My advice, replace the tyre.

As for a suitable tyre, I use Maxxis MA-701s on my Alto here. I have now done close on 10,000kms and still the tread shows no sign of wear.

Edited by CJ5
  • Like 1

Bumps on sidewalls means the inner lining has failed and weakened. You need to replace them ASAP. I ended up changing all _four_ tires right after I bought the car because I ran over a manhole cover with the two left wheels which caused sidewall damage, and since the front and rears were of two different brands and worn beyond 40%, I had no choice. A friend had a similar bump on the sidewall in his Viva, and he ignored my advice in replacing the tire. The next time I met him, he told me he had a blowout and the the weakened sidewall was the issue.

Inspect your tires daily; 2 minutes spent feeling your tires (on _both_ sides) vs an accident caused by a blowout. It's a no brainer.

Edited by terrabytetango
  • Like 3

Dear Friends,

I observed small lump on side wall of the tire. (It was front left tire and immediately I exchange it with the rear left tire).

Tire manufactured in 13th week of 2011

Mileage done 21,500km

Tire size: 165/55R14

Brand: Silverstone

(My cars is a Perodua Viva Elite)

Should I replaced it with new tire immediately or can I use it for some time?

If replacement needed , can you suggest any good brand?

Hey Sampath,

I agree with CJ5 and terrabytetango: Bumps in the sidewall mean that one or more of the steel belts that make up the sidewall is damaged. As the sidewall is a critical stress bearing component, this would mean that the structural integrity of the tire is compromised.

You need to get rid of this tire asap, its not worth the risk to you and your passengers.

I've been stupid / lazy in the past over my tires, and unfortunately like CJ5 I learnt my lesson the hard way. You might get away with not changing this out, but it isn't worth the risk. Switch it out, or better still: Switch out the rear pair. (When switching, remember the best / least worn tires need to go on the back axle so as to prevent oversteer).

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1