• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vehicle Transferring And Registration Procedure

zareekz

Dear all,

I was buy my first car (starlet) few months earlier.

I filled the documents required and get the sign from previous owner and now it is with me. few papers of that document also with previous owner. Im not put the date so delay is not a problem i think.

Still car registered to previous owner. I need to transfer this to me.

I have not any clear idea about this procedure.

Pls any one who have the experience share it with the community.

Other thing is my hometown is Kandy and brought car is " WP" number , so do I need to transfer it in to "CP" ?

your feedback is greatly appreciated

thank you

regards

Amila

Dear all,

I was buy my first car (starlet) few months earlier.

I filled the documents required and get the sign from previous owner and now it is with me. few papers of that document also with previous owner. Im not put the date so delay is not a problem i think.

Still car registered to previous owner. I need to transfer this to me.

I have not any clear idea about this procedure.

Pls any one who have the experience share it with the community.

Other thing is my hometown is Kandy and brought car is " WP" number , so do I need to transfer it in to "CP" ?

your feedback is greatly appreciated

thank you

regards

Amila

Papers are not an issue if its not dated. You only need one form from MTA-6 for transfer.

Go to RMV Narahenpita, go thru the front gate, walk in to the building and you will see the inquiries counter right in front of you.

There is a staircase behind this counter. Walk upstairs, turn to your right, walk straight in to the room which says 'Transfer of cars' (or somethign similar).

Get a token from the token counter and wait for your turn. When your turn comes, give your papers and they will check and give you a payment voucher. Take the payment voucher and walk back to ground floor. Ask someone where People's Bank is. Go to People's Bank and pay the amount. Get the reciept and walk back to the counter in the first floor and give the receipt to them.

Come back in the evening and collect your registration book.

Talk ONLY to people wearing grey waistcoats with 'DMT' printed on them.

If your Starlet is an English number one, then you have to get CP plates. If it is a WP-301-XXXX or something like that then you don't have to! Those are homemade plates!

Hope I made it very clear :D

• Like 3

Crosswinds directions are spot on with very fine details. However, since I transferred a car last week, you will find a more updated version below.

As you walk through the front gate the guard will give you a slip to fill in and handover to the security desk along with your NIC. You can then proceed as described and if you are the transferee then you can avail the ONE-DAY service (In my case I could not for the car was transferred in another person's name). You can present your papers (MTA6, MTA8, Original registration book, Copy of the revenue license (You may have to produce the original if they ask), Copy of transferee's NIC, and other documents listed in the form set if they are applicable. If you are availing one-day facility you have to produce documents before 1430hrs of the same day. Assuming you take one day service, once you submit the documents to the one-day counter they will check them and give you a token and a payment voucher. Go to the extreme corner of the same building ground floor and expect a 15 minute queue at the bank. Everything else is as in the above post.

• Like 2

Papers are not an issue if its not dated. You only need one form from MTA-6 for transfer.

Go to RMV Narahenpita, go thru the front gate, walk in to the building and you will see the inquiries counter right in front of you.

There is a staircase behind this counter. Walk upstairs, turn to your right, walk straight in to the room which says 'Transfer of cars' (or somethign similar).

Get a token from the token counter and wait for your turn. When your turn comes, give your papers and they will check and give you a payment voucher. Take the payment voucher and walk back to ground floor. Ask someone where People's Bank is. Go to People's Bank and pay the amount. Get the reciept and walk back to the counter in the first floor and give the receipt to them.

Come back in the evening and collect your registration book.

Talk ONLY to people wearing grey waistcoats with 'DMT' printed on them.

If your Starlet is an English number one, then you have to get CP plates. If it is a WP-301-XXXX or something like that then you don't have to! Those are homemade plates!

Hope I made it very clear :D

Thank you crosswind for clear directions... :sport-smiley-003:

my one is english number plate WP GG-xxxx,

my permanent address is in kandy, so do I need to go back to Kandy office.

Crosswinds directions are spot on with very fine details. However, since I transferred a car last week, you will find a more updated version below.

As you walk through the front gate the guard will give you a slip to fill in and handover to the security desk along with your NIC. You can then proceed as described and if you are the transferee then you can avail the ONE-DAY service (In my case I could not for the car was transferred in another person's name). You can present your papers (MTA6, MTA8, Original registration book, Copy of the revenue license (You may have to produce the original if they ask), Copy of transferee's NIC, and other documents listed in the form set if they are applicable. If you are availing one-day facility you have to produce documents before 1430hrs of the same day. Assuming you take one day service, once you submit the documents to the one-day counter they will check them and give you a token and a payment voucher. Go to the extreme corner of the same building ground floor and expect a 15 minute queue at the bank. Everything else is as in the above post.

Thank you romesh,

Can you give me the latest cost of vehicle transferring...

The total cost would be Rs. 2,680.00 (Normal service) or if you are taking one-day service an additional Rs. 2,500.00. Take two photographs of the size mentioned in the form and countersigned by a JP or Grama Niladhari of your locality confirming that the person in the photograph is you. All these instructions are mentioned in the form set. If you are not particular about one-day service you can go for the normal one and your new book will be posted to the address mentioned in MTA6. This would take around 6 - 8 weeks I was told.

Take the original revenue license with you when you go there. It would be wise to go with a photocopy of your NIC as well.

As stated in this thread, ask for help from DMT staff only.

BTW, does anybody know what happens if the previous owner has submitted his documents (MTA 6 A) to the RMV with a transfer date different from what's on transferee's papers?

From now you need to have a NO OBJECTION letter and the old owners ID card copy when you goto transfer a cars ownership.

No objection letter from the previous owner? Well he/she has already signed the papers ne.

No objection letter is applicable for (some) company vehicle transfers.

Now the NEW Rule is you NEED to have a No OBJECTION letter regardless of the signed papers and all that. Its such a stupid rule but hey when clowns take decisions this is the result. They also need the photo copy of the ID of the old owner. Also remember both these documents also must be signed off by a JP. The JP CANNOT also be around from the RMV. If a JP from around the RMV signed it then you will be turned back.

Now the NEW Rule is you NEED to have a No OBJECTION letter regardless of the signed papers and all that. Its such a stupid rule but hey when clowns take decisions this is the result. They also need the photo copy of the ID of the old owner. Also remember both these documents also must be signed off by a JP. The JP CANNOT also be around from the RMV. If a JP from around the RMV signed it then you will be turned back.

i dont know how they are going to do that?. how do you identify the JP's location. and what is the difference between an outside JP and an inside JP. non of these troubles will occur when you handover the procedure to an agent with some big money. i believe they do all those things to encourage people to go behind those " agents"

what to do? this is the wonder of the Asia....................

Edited by priyanka

I personally went to RMV to handover the papers for a transfer just two weeks back and there was no such rule. However, it will not be very long before they ask you to do the transfer in front of them!!! There are clear instructions printed on the transfer paper set specifying the documents that you need to produce. In my case I took all the papers except for the transferee's ID copy which was not mentioned in the form but found displayed as an special instructions on the notice board at the counter. What RMV should do is to fix a web camera at the counter so that at least some of the visitors would be able to see the new rules before they step in to RMV.

As for the reference to clowns taking decisions at RMV I remember handing over my driving license (Class D) which was in the old format to get a new card from RMV ome time in mid-80s. I did this while I was on vacation in SL. Meanwhile someone took the matter to courts challenging the decision of RMV to renew Class D licenses which were issued under the previous Act under new regulations. Legal process took several years and I remember driving around with a piece of paper which did not carry my photo or my signature, whenever I came here for holidays. I gave up all hopes in getting my license back but one fine day it was posted to my home and now I have a Class D license valid for the rest of my life thanks to he court decision. My point here is that regulatory bodies may take stupid decisions at their whims and fancies but as long as the judiciary is independent (???) you can get justice served.

This rule was brought about this week and strictly enforced from monday 10th December. The RMV knows all the JPs around the area and they don't accept their declaration lol. Funny people i tell you.

Thank you for the update NZer. As for the JPs' location, RMV can now introduce new rule for every JP to have a GPS tracker shoved up their so and so!

Yeah, it is true that the "NEED to have a No OBJECTION letter regardless of the signed papers" since 10th Dec 2012.

But it just today morning I handed over my open papers without any letter to an "agent" with extra Rs 2500/=. and all happen without any problems!

Edited by nano31

Yeah, it is true that the "NEED to have a No OBJECTION letter regardless of the signed papers" since 10th Dec 2012.

But it just today morning I handed over my open papers without any letter to an "agent" with extra Rs 2500/=. and all happen without any problems!

Well I thought one objective was to discourage "open papers" ... but looks like that loophole still exists - at least through agents! :P

Hi,

The No objection Letter from the old owner is required only if it is put for one day transfer and not for normal transfer. In the event the one day transfer is required, the letter which needs to include the signatures, name and address of both the old & new owners should be certified by a JP from the sellers area (which is registered in the book), else it is not valid. The ID copy of the old owner is also required.

It's a silly thing, but i guess its to cut down on the amount of open paper vehicles which are there and more importantly, to inconvenience the people and have more into their pockets to get things done without additional documents

This is the reason this country is going nowhere..... I know its convinent but if we encourage this the RMV will go back to what it was a couple of years back, where you needed to pay to get anything done. They are trying to improve a lot of things like the same day service, issuing of numbers so its more orderly than before..

Anyway this " no objection " letter is stupid, as the previous owner has already signed the trf papers and has also given away the registration document. And even if someone want to transfer on open papers they just need to write a letter leaving the transferee's name blank.

So if one were to summarize the documents you need to take to the RMV it would be as follows right ? .

1) Orignial registration book/sheet.

2) Copy of the new owners ID

3) Copy of the old owners ID

4) 2 photograhs of the new owner

5) Revenue Licence ( photo copy + oringial)

6) MTA 6 - ( Although the instructions talk of a complicated distribution of this, the guys at the counter only need one MTA6 )

7) " No objections" letter from the old owner.

8) Release letter from leasing company/bank if there is a absolute owner mentioned in the book.

And items 2,3,4 & 7 need to be sined and stamped by a JP ?

Hope this will be comprehensive for anyone trying to do this, please point out anything which I may have missed out or anything which happens differently